DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : April 30, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (April 30, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Jazz Day is celebrated on 30 April:
- International Jazz Day is celebrated on 30 April. The day aims to create awareness around the world of the virtues of jazz as a force of peace, unity, dialogue, and enhanced cooperation among people, and an educational tool.
Ayushman Bharat Diwas 2020 is celebrated on 30 April:
- Ayushman Bharat Diwas is celebrated on 30 April. The day aims to promote affordable medical facilities in remote areas of the country based on the Socio-Economic Caste Census database.
- Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB PMJAY), also known as the National Health Protection Mission (AB-NHPM), was launched by PM Narendra Modi on 14 April 2018.
Government task force lays out Rs 111-lakh-crore infra investment road map:
- Task force under economic affairs secretary submitted its final report on the “national infrastructure pipeline” to fin min. It pledged 71% of the expenditure for energy, roads, urban development & railways,& envisaging a key role for private investors.
- Economic affairs secretary: Atanu Chakraborty.
Kerala Starts ‘Ayur Raksha’ Clinics At Govt Hospitals:
- Kerala government has set up Ayurveda bodies at the state, regional and district levels for a COVID-19 prevention programme and started ‘Ayur Raksha’ clinics at government hospitals at district and taluk levels.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammed Khan
Smt. Harsimrat Kaur Badal holds video conference with FICCI and leading industry members:
- Union Minister of Food Processing Industries, Smt. Harsimrat Kaur Badal chaired a video conference with Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) & its members to discuss the current outlook of food processing industry and requirements.
- Secretary General of FICCI: Dilip Chenoy.
ADB gives $ 346 million loan for power sector in rural Maharashtra:
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a USD 346 million loan to Indian government to provide reliable power connection in rural areas of Maharashtra. The loan will support the state government’s high voltage distribution system (HVDS) program.
Asian Development Bank (ADB):
- Headquarters– Mandaluyong, Philippines
- Membership– 68 countries
- President– Masatsugu Asakawa
- Founded- 19 December 1966
11th Session of Petersberg Climate Dialogue held via video conferencing:
- The 11th session of Petersberg (Germany) Climate Dialogue witnessed India along with 30 other countries deliberating over ways and means to tackle the challenge of reinvigorating economies and societies after COVID-19. Prakash Javadekar represented India.
- Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change: Prakash Javadekar.
- Capital– Berlin.
- Currency– Euro.
Banking and Economy
Moody declined India’s growth estimate to 0.2% for CY 2020 from 2.5%:
- Moody also forecasted India’s growth for 2021 at 6.2%. The projection of GDP of G-20 advanced economies as a bloc is also declined by 5.8% in 2020.
- Headquarters: New York, United States (US)
- President and CEO: Raymond Whitehead McDaniel, Jr.
India Post delivers cash worth Rs 412 crore in doorstep banking revolution:
- India Post has delivered cash worth ₹412 cr. at doorstep delivery. This service is provided by the department irrespective of the bank in which the holder has an account or a village without a branch.This has been made possible due to AePS facility of IPPB.
- MD and CEO of India Post Payments Bank (IPPB): Suresh Sethi.
Banks borrow ₹2,000 crore from RBI for mutual funds:
- Commercial banks have borrowed ₹2,000 crore from the liquidity window that was offered by the RBI for mutual funds (MFs).RBI had announced a special window of ₹50,000 cr. for mutual funds in view of the redemption pressure that the fund houses are facing.
Acquisitions and Mergers
Flipkart partners with Meru to facilitate door-step delivery of essentials:
- Flipkart has partnered with ride-hailing cab operator Meru to facilitate door-step delivery of essentials to the e-commerce firm’s customers. The service will be available across Bengaluru, Delhi-NCR and Hyderabad.
GSK plans to sell Rs 28,000 crore stake in Hindustan Unilever:
- After completion of the merger between GlaxoSmithKline(GSK) Consumer Healthcare and Hindustan Unilever Ltd (HUL), GSK is reportedly planning to sale its $3.7 billion (Rs 28,000 crore) stake in HUL.GSK owns 5.7 per cent stake in Hindustan Unilever Ltd.
MyGov, VMate collaborates to disperse information on Covid-19:
- Short video application (app) VMate joined hands with the Government’s citizen engagement platform MyGov to support the Central Government efforts against the spread of Coronavirus pandemic.
- MyGovIndia has been launched on VMate to provide the official information related to the novel virus outbreak and the efforts being made to control its impact.
Science and Technology
IIT Kanpur develops sensor-based covid-19 sanitisation box:
- To help sanitisation of essential commodities used at home, the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (IIT-Kanpur) has developed a corona killer box. The box can sanitise all kinds of vegetables, fruits, sugar, milk, pulses, mobiles, and currency.
- The corona killer box can also sanitise masks and PPE kits.
Central University of Punjab(CUPB) launches Covid-19 information portal:
- Central University of Punjab, Bathinda has launched a “unique” COVID-19 information portal at CUPB City Campus, on which most of the “authentic information & sources are available for the references, research, & common understanding of the phenomenon”.
- CUPB, Vice-Chancellor Prof R.K. Kohli.
Former finance secretary Rajiv Kumar appointed PESB chief:
- Former finance secretary Rajiv Kumar has been appointed as the chairperson of the Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB).The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by PM Modi has approved his appointment to the post for a period of 3 years.
Suresh N. Patel takes oath as Vigilance Commissioner:
- Suresh N. Patel took oath as Vigilance Commissioner, he was administered the oath of office by Shri Sanjay Kothari, Central Vigilance Commissioner. He was the Managing Director & CEO of Andhra Bank and was an Executive Director in Oriental Bank of Commerce.
- Tenure of Vigilance Commissioner is of four years.
PNB housing appoints Neeraj Vyas as interim MD & CEO as incumbent Sanjaya Gupta steps down:
- Punjab National Bank (PNB) Housing Finance Limited appointed independent director Neeraj Vyas as the Interim Managing Director(MD) and Chief Executive Officer(CEO) for the period of eight months effective from 28th April.
- Neeraj Vyas is currently an independent director in the board of the company, following the early retirement of PNB housing Finance managing Director Sanjaya Gupta whose tenure as MD and CEO.
PNB housing Finance
- Interim MD & CEO– Neeraj Vyas
- Head Quarters– New Delhi.
Former Karnataka batsman J Arunkumar named as USA national team coach:
- Former Karnataka cricketer J. Arunkumar, 45 years old, was appointed as the head coach of the USA (United States of America)men’s national team. He was the successor of interim coach James Pamment.
Awards and Recognitions
Joe Biden wins Ohio’s Presidential Primary:
- In United States, Joe Biden won Ohio’s Presidential Primary, clinching a contest that was less about the Democratic nomination and more about how states can conduct elections in the era of the Corona virus.
- United States,Capital: Washington, D.C.
Karnataka tops in total installed renewable capacity: CRISIL Research report:
- According to a CRISIL Research report, Karnataka retained its 1st position in terms of total installed renewable capacity in FY20 followed by Tamil Nadu(2nd) & Gujarat(3rd).
- The top 3 states in overall solar energy capacity addition are- Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka & in wind energy- Gujarat, Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra.
- Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
- MD and CEO– Ashu Suyash
- Chairman– John Berisford.
Books and Authors
Uma Balasubramaniam Newest Book on India’s Unsung Hero: Sayajirao Gaekwad III: The Maharaja of Baroda
- Uma Balasubramaniam’s book titled “Sayajirao Gaekwad III: Maharaja of Baroda” a historic epic published by Rupa publication.
- About how a Maratha farmer’s 13-year-old boy becomes the King of Baroda and also how the fate twists for the favourite son of the British empire gets himself to the brink of being deposed by the British.
Veteran Bollywood actor Rishi Kapoor passes away at 67
- Veteran Bollywood actor Rishi Kapoor passed away at 67.The actor, known for his work in films like Bobby and Chandni, was treated in New York for cancer and returned to Mumbai last year.
AIBA moves 2021 world boxing championships to Belgrade:
- The 2021 Men’s World Boxing Championships have been moved to Belgrade from New Delhi, the International Boxing Association (AIBA) said. AIBA said it had terminated India’s contract after it did not pay an agreed host fee.
- Capital: Belgrade
- AIBA Headquarts: Lausanne,Switzerland.
India among 5 teams seals direct qualification for Women’s World Cup 2021:
- The International Cricket Council(ICC) has announced that India, New Zealand, Australia, England and South Africa have sealed a direct berth for the quadrennial 50-over Women World Cup 2021 to be held in New Zealand and scheduled from February 6 to March 7 in 2021.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.