Daily Current Affairs: April 4 & 5, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (April 4 & 5, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action – 4 April
- International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action is observed every year on 4 April. The day was declared by the UN General Assembly on 8 December 2005 to raise awareness about landmines and progress toward their eradication.
- 2021 Theme: “Perseverance, Partnership, Progress”
World Rat Day – 4 April
- World Rat Day is observed globally on 4 April. The day aims to shed a positive light on these animals and promote their care and welfare. The day was founded in 2002.
National Maritime Day – 5 April
- National Maritime Day is observed on 5 April every year. This year, India will mark its 58th edition of National Maritime Day. The first celebration took place in 1964 to spread awareness about intercontinental commerce and the economy.
- 2021 Theme: “Sustainable Shipping beyond COVID-19”
International Day of Conscience – 5 April
- The International Day of Conscience is a global day of awareness celebrated on 5 April, commemorating the importance of the human conscience. It was established by the United Nations General Assembly on 25 July 2019.
‘Tulip Festival’ celebrated in Jammu and Kashmir
- Tulip festival concluded with the enthralling cultural and musical performances by popular artists and singers from within and outside Jammu and Kashmir.
- The festival which was thrown open by Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha was organised by the Jammu and Kashmir Tourism department in collaboration with Jammu and Kashmir Tourism Development Corporation and Department of Floriculture.
Jammu and Kashmir
- Capital: Srinagar (Summer), Jammu (winter)
- Lt. Governor: Manoj Sinha
- National Parks: Hemis National Park, City Forest (Salim Ali) National Park, Dachigam National Park, Kishtwar National Park
- Wildlife Sanctuaries: Changthang Cold Desert Wildlife Sanctuary, Gulmarg Wildlife Sanctuary, Jasrota Wildlife Sanctuary, Baltal-Thajwas Wildlife Sanctuary, Karakoram (Nubra Shyok) Wildlife Sanctuary
- Lakes: Mansar Lake, Nagin Lake, Wular Lake, Surinsar Lake, Dal Lake
World Bank approved $ 32 million project to improve health services in Mizoram
- The World Bank Board of Executive Directors has approved a $ 32 million project to improve management capacity and quality of health services in Mizoram.
- The project titled “Mizoram Health Systems Strengthening Project” will strengthen the governance and the management structure of the Mizoram Health department and its subsidiaries.
- Capital: Aizawl
- Chief Minister: Zoramthanga
- Governor: P S Sreedharan Pillai
- Headquarters: Washington DC, United States
- President: David Malpass
- Founded: 1944
Rajasthan became the first state to provide health insurance for all its residents
- Rajasthan became the first state in the country to provide health insurance for all its residents. The state began registration for ‘Mukhyamantri Chiranjeevi Swasthya Bima Yojana’ under which each family in the state can claim up to Rs five lakh a year for medical expenses.
- People can get registered and be assured of cashless treatment. The health insurance scheme was announced by Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot in the state budget 2021-22.
- Capital: Jaipur
- Chief Minister: Ashok Gehlot
- Governor: Kalraj Mishra
Indian Navy Ships & Aircraft participated in multi-lateral maritime exercise ‘La Pérouse’
- Indian Navy ships INS Satpura (with an integral helicopter embarked) and INS Kiltan along with P8I Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft participated for the first time in a multilateral maritime exercise ‘La Perouse’.
- La Perouse will be conducted in the Eastern Indian Ocean Region. Apart from the French and Indian Navy, the Royal Australian Navy, Japan Maritime Self Defence Force, and the United States Navy also participate in the three-day exercise at sea.
Banking and Economy
PhonePe became the first player to cross the billion-transaction mark on UPI
- Digital payments major, PhonePe crossed a billion transactions on Unified Payments Interface (UPI) infrastructure in March, making it the first player in the country to reach this milestone.
- PhonePe had overall clocked close to 3 billion transactions on its platform, across payment offerings of wallet, cards as well as UPI in March 2021.
Science and Technology
IIT Kanpur developed a touch-sensitive watch for the visually impaired
- Two researchers from IIT Kanpur have developed a touch-sensitive, tactile, haptic watch that can help visually impaired people learn what time it is by touching the face.
- The prototypes were developed by Siddhartha Panda, who is a professor at the Department of Chemical Engineering and the National Centre for Flexible Electronics at IIT Kanpur, and Vishwaraj Srivastava who is a Senior Project Associate at the Centre.
Chintan Vaishnav appointed as Mission Director of Atal Innovation Mission
- Socio technologist Chintan Vaishnav was appointed as Mission Director of flagship initiative Atal Innovation Mission. He will be replacing Ramanathan Ramanan to take over as the second Mission Director of AIM.
- An engineer by profession and alumnus of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Chintan Vaishnav will be moving from his current researcher and teacher at MIT to head the initiative to boost innovation and entrepreneurship.
NITI Aayog (National Institution for Transforming India):
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- CEO: Amitabh Kant
- Chairperson: Narendra Modi
- Vice Chairperson: Rajiv Kumar
Awards and Recognitions
Suman Chakraborty to get GD Birla Award for Scientific Research
- Professor Suman Chakraborty has been selected for the 30th GD Birla Award for Scientific Research for his outstanding contribution to engineering science and its applications in developing technologies for affordable healthcare.
- Sumon Chakraborty is a faculty member at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur’s department of mechanical engineering.
- The award was instituted in 1991 by the KK Birla Foundation in honour of the Indian philanthropist Ghanshyam Das Birla.
Jeffrey Ullman and Alfred Aho won the 2020 ACM A.M.Turing Award
- ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) named Jeffrey David Ullman and Alfred Vaino Aho, 2020 ACM A.M. Turing Award recipients for their work with fundamental algorithms and theory underlying programming language implementation and educating generations with influential books.
- The ACM A.M. Turing Award is considered the Nobel of computing science with $1 million
Books and Authors
A new book titled “Manohar Parrikar: Brilliant Mind, Simple Life” authored by Nitin Anant Gokhale
- A new book titled “Manohar Parrikar: Brilliant Mind, Simple Life” was authored by Nitin Anant Gokhale, one of South Asia’s leading strategic and defence analysts. Manohar Parrikar was India’s first IIT-qualified Chief Minister and former defence minister. The book was published by Bloomsburry.
India’s first environment minister Digvijaysinh Jhala passed away at 89
- Digvijaysinh Jhala, the first environment minister of India and the patriarch of the royal family of an erstwhile princely state of Wankaner (Morbi district) passed away. He served as the first environment minister of the country from 1982-84.
Founder member of Samajwadi Party Bhagwati Singh passes away at 89
- Founder member of the Samajwadi Party and former Uttar Pradesh minister Bhagwati Singh passed away at the age of 89. The last rites of Singh will not be done as he had pledged to donate his body to the King George Medical University.
India finished with 21 medals including 5 golds in Dubai Para-Badminton
- India topped the tally with 21 medals (5 gold, 6 silver, and 10 bronze medals), ahead of France who finished with eight medals (4 gold, 2 silver, and 2 bronze), and Malaysia with seven medals (3 gold, 1 silver, and 3 bronze) in the 3rd Sheikh Hamdan bin Al Maktoum Dubai Para-Badminton International 2021 in Dubai.
- Defending world champion Pramod Bhagat clinch two gold medals. Krishna Nagar and Prem Kumar Ale were also won two gold medals for India in combined SH6 and the mixed doubles WH1-WH2
Poland’s Hubert Hurkacz beats Italian Jannik Sinner to win Miami Open
- Poland’s Hubert Hurkacz defeated Italian teenager Jannik Sinner in straight sets to win the Miami Open and claim the first ATP Masters title of his career. Hurkacz became Poland’s first Masters 1000 champion.
- No 1-ranked Ashleigh Barty won her second successive Miami title by defeating Bianca Andreescu in the women’s singles final.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of April 4 & 5, 2021, now from the link given below.