Daily Current Affairs: October 29, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (October 29, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Stroke Day – 29 October
- World Stroke Day is observed on 29 October to emphasise the seriousness of stroke and its great prevalence, improve knowledge of stroke prevention and treatment and assure better care and support for survivors of stroke.
- World Stroke Day was established in 2004 at the World Stroke Congress in Vancouver, Canada.
International Internet Day – 29 October
- International Internet Day is observed on 29 October to celebrate the origin of the very first internet transmission ever sent. It is also honoured as an important day in the history of telecommunications and technology.
- This day commemorates the anniversary of the first message that was sent between two computers on 29 October 1969 through ARPANET, the predecessor of the Internet.
Shatabdi Express from Mysore to Chennai and vice versa becomes the first IMS certified train of the Southern Railway
- Shatabdi Express running between Chennai–Mysore and vice versa became the first Integrated Management Systems (IMS)-certified train of the Southern Railway, with state-of-the-art facilities that ensure safe and comfortable travel for passengers.
- This train uses Linke Hofmann Busch rakes that has already received International Organization for Standardisation (ISO) certification.
- It was introduced in 1994, Chennai–Mysore–Chennai Shatabdi Express was the first ISO 9001:2001 certified train in the Southern Railway in 2007.
Union Government reconstitutes the seven-member Prime Minister Economic Advisory Council
- The seven-member Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister (EAC-PM) was reconstituted by the Union Government for a period of two months after its term had expired on September 2021.
- Rakesh Mohan, Poonam Gupta and T. T. Ram Mohan have been appointed as part-time members of the reconstituted EAC-PM, while V. Anantha Nageswaran has been dropped.
- Bibek Debroy is the Chairman of this council.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually attends the 18th ASEAN–India Summit
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually attended the 18th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)–India Summit to review the status of the ASEAN–India strategic partnership and take stock of progress made in key areas, including COVID-19 & health, trade & commerce, connectivity and education & culture.
- The ASEAN member states, includes India, China, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Australia, New Zealand, the United States and Russia.
Banking & Economy
India and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) sign a $251 million loan approval for integrated urban flood management in Chennai
- India and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a $251 million loan for integrated urban flood management to strengthen the resilience of Chennai city to floods.
- This project will build flood protection infrastructure as well as strengthen the capacity of the Greater Chennai Corporation and communities for better preparedness planning to transform Chennai into a more livable city.
- This project will establish climate-resilient urban flood protection infrastructure.
Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- Founded: 19 December 1966
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
- President: Masatsugu Asakawa
Kotak Mahindra Bank partners with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) to launch credit cards on the RuPay platform
- Kotak Mahindra Bank has partnered with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) to launch credit cards on the RuPay network named ‘Veer’ credit card for the armed forces.
- This credit card is available in two variants — Kotak RuPay Veer Platinum and Kotak RuPay Veer Select credit cards.
- These are contactless credit cards with zero joining fees and are specially designed to fulfill the needs of the army personnel.
National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Non-Executive Chairman: Biswamohan Mahapatra
- MD & CEO: Dilip Asbe
- Founded: 2008
Kotak Mahindra Bank
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- CEO: Uday Kotak
- Tagline: “Let’s make money simple”
Asian Development Bank and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank co-finance a $2 billion loan for India to buy COVID-19 vaccines
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) and the Asian Development (ADB) will co-finance a $2 billion loan for India to procure COVID-19 vaccines under ADB’s Asia Pacific Vaccine Access Facility (APVAX), as India has crossed the milestone of administering one billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines.
- The ADB has agreed to finance $1.5 billion and AIIB will supplement with another $500 million.
Reserve Bank of India re-appoints Shaktikanta Das as its Governor for three more years
- Shaktikanta Das was reappointed as the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) Governor for another three years up to December 2024.
- He was appointed as the 25th RBI Governor in December 2018 for three years, replacing Urjit Patel.
- Before his appointment at the RBI, he served as a member of the 15th Finance Commission and also as India’s G20 Sherpa.
Baldev Prakash was appointed as the MD & CEO of Jammu and Kashmir Bank
- Baldev Prakash was appointed as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (MD & CEO) of Jammu and Kashmir Bank by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for a three-year term from April 2022.
- He will replace K. Chhibber.
- He has over 30 years of experience in banking and had joined SBI as a probationary officer in 1991. He is currently the Chief General Manager (Digital and Transaction Banking Marketing Department).
Subash Kamath was re-elected as the Chairman of Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI)
- The Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) has re-elected Subhash Kamath as its Chairman for a second term after its 35th annual general meeting.
- He is the Chief Executive at advertising agency BBH & Publicis Worldwide, India.
Science & Technology
Facebook changes its name to ‘Meta’
- Facebook has changed its corporate name to ‘Meta’ as part of a major rebrand.
- Facebook, now known as Meta, has adopted the new moniker based on metaverse to describe its vision for working and playing in a virtual world.
- Under the rebranding, Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp, which are used by billions around the world, would preserve their identities, which opponents have characterised as an attempt to divert attention away from the platform’s dysfunction.
Kannada actor Puneeth Rajkumar passed away
- Kannada actor Puneeth Rajkumar passed away at the age of 46.
- He started his career as a child artist with the 1985 film Bettadu Hoovi and won the National Film Award for Best Child Artist.
- Abhi, Veera Kannadiga, Arasu, Raam, Hudugaru, and Anjani Putra are just a few of his well-known films.
Noted oncologist Dr. Madhavan Krishnan Nair passed away
- Madhavan Krishnan Nair, who was the popular face of cancer treatment (Oncologist) in Kerala has passed away at the age of 81.
- He was honoured with the Padma Shri in 2001.
- He is the founder-director of the Regional Cancer Centre (RCC) in Thiruvananthapuram.
Daily CA- 29 October One Liners
|World Stroke Day – 29 October
|International Internet Day – 29 October
|Shatabdi Express from Mysore to Chennai and vice versa becomes the first IMS certified train of the Southern Railway
|Union Government reconstitutes the seven-member Prime Minister Economic Advisory Council
|Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually attends the 18th ASEAN–India Summit
|India and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) sign a $251 million loan approval for integrated urban flood management in Chennai
|Kotak Mahindra Bank partners with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) to launch credit cards on the RuPay platform
|Asian Development Bank and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank co-finance a $2 billion loan for India to buy COVID-19 vaccines
|Reserve Bank of India re-appoints Shaktikanta Das as its Governor for three more years
|Baldev Prakash was appointed as the MD & CEO of Jammu and Kashmir Bank
|Subash Kamath was re-elected as the Chairman of Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI)
|Facebook changes its name to ‘Meta’
|Kannada actor Puneeth Rajkumar passed away
|Noted oncologist Dr. Madhavan Krishnan Nair passed away
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of October 29, 2021, now from the link given below.