DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: APRIL 7, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (April 7, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Health Day: April 7
- April 7 of each year marks the celebration of World Health Day. the celebration has aimed to create awareness of a specific health theme to highlight a priority area of concern for the World Health Organization.
- Theme: “Support Nurses and Midwives”.
World Health Organisation :
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Director general: Tedros Adhanom
National Maritime Day- April 5:
- National Maritime day was celebrated on April 5.To create awareness to support intercontinental commerce and the global economy as the most well-organised, safe and sound, environmentally responsive approach of transporting goods from one place to another. It was the 57th edition.
- Theme: “Sustainable shipping for a Sustainable Planet”.
Mahavir Jayanti is celebrated on 6 April:
- Mahavir Jayanti is celebrated on 6 April every year. It is one of the most auspicious festivals in the Jain community. Mahavir Jayanti is celebrated on the 13th day of the bright half of the moon in the month of Chaitra.
- Kerala has installed Walk-in Sample Kiosks (WISK) for mass collection of samples for COVID-19 testing in Ernakulam district based on the South Korean model.
- The Walk-in Sample Kiosks are being developed by Doctors of Kalamsessry Medical College.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammed Khan
Google maps partners with government, highlights public food, night shelters across 31 Indian cities:
- Google maps will now display public food shelters and public night shelters to users across 31 cities in India.
- Public Food Shelters and Public Night Shelters can now be found on Google Maps, for 31 cities (more Shelters, Cities being added).
- Search on Google or Google Maps for “Food Shelter Near Me” or “Night Shelter Near Me” to find the closest shelter,” the centre tweeted from its citizen engagement platform MyGov’s account.
Banking and Economy
Government nominates Indian Overseas Bank and HDFC bank for collecting donations for PM Cares Fund:
- Indian Overseas Bank has been nominated by the government for collection of funds, which will be used to support the community and will be assigned to PM-Cares Fund. The contributions can be made by RTGS, NEFT etc.,
- The HDFC group has contributed Rs.150 crores to the PM-Cares Fund.
- Headquarter– Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Managing Director (MD) – Aditya Puri
- Tagline– We understand your world
Indian Overseas Bank
- Headquarters: Chennai
- MD & Chief Executive Officer (CEO): Karnam Sekar
- IOB Tagline: Good People to Grow With.
Science and Technology
IIT Hyderabad-incubated startup’s low-cost ventilator can be controlled via a phone app:
- IIT Hyderabad-incubated start-up Aerobiosys Innovations developed a low-cost, portable, emergency-use ventilator called Jeevan Lite at a price of ₹1Lakh. Jeevan Lite can perform both invasive and non-invasive ventilation.
- Aerobiosis Co-founders Rajesh Thangavel and Cyril Antony.
Railways develops low-cost ventilator in Kapurthala, awaits ICMR approval:
- Indian Railways has developed a low-cost ventilator, Jeevan, at its Kapurthala Rail Coach Factory in Punjab.
- Rail Coach Factory is the premier coach production unit which manufactures the German design Link Hofmann Busch coaches.
- Prototype is now awaiting ICMR clearance to go into production.
ICMR approves TB machines for COVID-19 testing:
- ICMR has recommended the use of Truenat beta CoV test on Truelab workstation validated as a screening test.
- Truenat is smaller, battery-operated, requires minimal training and is usable even in smaller settings such as the Primary Health Centre.
- It uses a chip-based technology & takes up to 60 mins to test.
NASA’s Artemis: First human base camp on Moon’s South Pole by 2024:
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) unveiled its plan to setup ‘Artemis’, the first human base camp on Moon’s South Pole by 2024 through a 13-page report titled “NASA’s Plan for Sustained Lunar Exploration and Development”.
- The report was submitted to the National Space Council, an advisory group to United States (US) President Donald Trump, presided over by Vice President Mike Pence.
NASSCOM appoints Infosys’ Pravin Rao as chairman:
- National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) has appointed UB Pravin Rao, COO, Infosys as the chairman for the current FY.
- The newly appointed leader will help the industry body achieve its 2025 vision for the industry.
- He was succeeding WNS Global Services Group CEO Keshav Murugesh.
- Headquarter- New Delhi
- President: Debjani Ghosh.
Indian-origin Lisa Nandy appointed UK shadow foreign minister:
- Labour Party’s newly-elected Leader, Sir Keir Starmer, named Indian-origin MP Lisa Nandy as his shadow foreign secretary.
- Nandy, his contender in the leadership race for Opposition Leader, thanked Starmer for the “opportunity to serve”.
Anurag Srivastava takes charge as MEA Spokesman:
- Senior diplomat Anurag Srivastava took charge as the Spokesman of the Ministry of External Affairs, succeeding Mr Raveesh Kumar.
- Mr Srivastava, an Indian Foreign Service Officer, was serving as India’s Ambassador to Ethiopia before this appointment.
- Minister of State for External Affairs – V Muraleedharan.
Awards and Recognitions
Tamil Nadu topped in micro-irrigation coverage under PMKSY for FY 2019-20:
- Tamil Nadu has topped the all-India level for micro-irrigation (MI), under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY), with a coverage of 2,06,853.25 ha for the year financial year 2019-20. The state is followed by Karnataka and Gujarat with 1,41,103.56 Ha and 1,08,322.00 Ha of coverage respectively.
- Chief Minister:Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Governor:Banwarilal Purohit
Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik gets PETA award for allocating funds to feed community animals:
- Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has been conferred with the ‘Hero To Animals Award’ by animal rights body PETA India after the state government sanctioned Rs 54 lakh to feed stray animals in five municipal corporations and all 48 municipalities.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Chief Minister:Naveen Patnaik
- Governor:Ganeshi Lal
American Basketball player Kobe Bryant inducted into Naismith Hall of Fame:
- American Basketball player & 5 time NBA champion Kobe Bryan will be posthumously inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, Springfield, Massachusetts on August 29, 2020 along with 8 honourees.
Books & Authors
Two new books providing better understanding of COVID-19 will release in May 2020:
- To provide better understanding and prevention of novel coronavirus (COVID-19), two new books are all set to release in May 2020. The books are:
- How Contagion Works: Science, Awareness and Community in Times of Global Crisis” by Italian physicist Paolo Giordano.
- “Deadliest Enemy: Our War Against Killer Germs” by epidemiologist Michael Osterholm and author Mark Olshaker.
- Both books will be published by Hatchette, United States.
Former Libya Prime Minister Mahmoud Jibril dies from coronavirus:
- Mahmoud Jibril, the former head of the Libyan rebel government that overthrew longtime ruler Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, has died from the coronavirus.
- He was an economic advisor to the Gaddafi government in its final years, before joining the revolution.
- Prime Minister: Fayez al-Sarraj.
- Currency: Libyan Dinar
- Capital: Tripoli
Malayalam Music composer M.K. Arjunan passed away at 84:
- Famous Malayalam Music Composer M.K. Arjunan (fondly called as Arjunan Master) passed away at the age of 84 in Kochi, Kerala. He was born on March 1, 1936 in Fort Kochi, Kerala.
Former New Zealand Wicketkeeper Jock Edwards passes away:
- Former New Zealand wicket-keeper batsman Jock Edwards passed away at the age of 64.
- Edwards also played six ODIs, between 1976 and 1981.
Former England all-rounder Peter Walker passes away:
- Former England and Glamorgan County Cricket Club all-rounder Peter Walker has passed away at the age of 84.
- The following year he won three Test caps for England, playing in the series against South Africa and in 1961 Walker scored 1,347 first-class runs, took 101 wickets in all games and held 73 catches.
Australia’s Stephen O’Keefe retires from 1st class cricket:
- Former Australia Test spinner Stephen O’Keefe has retired from first-class cricket. The 35-year-old left-armer, who took 35 wickets in nine tests including 12 in a match against India.
- Capital– Canberra
- Currency– Australian dollar
- Prime Minister– Scott Morrison
Thailand, Malaysia banned from weightlifting at Tokyo Olympics:
- Independent Member Federation Sanctions Panel (IMFSP) of IWF imposed disciplinary sanctions on Thailand and Malaysia and banned both the countries to from participating in weightlifting events at the Tokyo Olympics.
International Weightlifting Federation (IWF):
- Headquartes: Budapest, Hungary.
East Bengal contracts Indian-origin Iranian footballer Omid Singh:
- East Bengal F.C (Football Club ),a professional football Club based in Kolkata, West Bengal (WB), has signed Iran’s Indian-origin footballer Omid Singh (29) for a 2-year deal.
China’s High Jumper Zhang Guowei retires at 28:
- China’s world silver- medallist high jumper Zhang Guowei, 28 years old, renowned for his flamboyant twerking celebrations, announced his retirement in high jumping.
- He has won silver at the Beijing 2015 World Championships and also represented China in the London Olympics 2012 and Rio 2016 Olympics.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.