DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Aug 14, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Aug 14 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Organ Donation Day- August 13:
- World Organ donation day is observed on 13 August every year. This day strives to motivate people to donate their healthy and precious organs after death to save lives. Maharashtra Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari asked all universities in the state to observe Organ Donation Week from August 13 to August 20, 2020.
Manipur Observed its Patriot’s day on August 13 2020:
- Patriot’s Day is observed annually on August 13 in Manipur. The Patriots’ Day 2020 was observed to commemorate the 1891 Anglo-Manipuri war during which many Manipuri’s sacrificed their lives to safeguard the independence of the State.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launches Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation:
- Defence Minister launched Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation (NIIO). It puts in place dedicated structures for the end-users to interact with academia and industry towards fostering innovation and indigenisation for self-reliance in defence.
Andhra CM Jagan Mohan Reddy Launches Welfare Sheme ‘YSR Cheyutha’ for Poor Women:
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy launched the YSR Cheyutha scheme which gives financial assistance and livelihood to poor women of SC, ST, OBC and other minority communities in the age group of 45 to 60 years. It aims to benefit 23 Lakh women.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam.
- National Park: Sri Venkateswara National Park ,Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park.
Delhi-Katra Express Road Corridor To Be Completed By 2023; Union Minister Jitendra Singh:
- Union Minister for Development of North Eastern Region (M-DoNER) Jitendra Singh informed that work has started on the first-of-its-kind Katra (Jammu and Kashmir)-Delhi Express Road Corridor which will be ready by 2023.
- The express Corridor is expected to reduce the travel time between Katra and Delhi to around six and half hours, the total outlay of the project is 35, 000 crores.
Goa Government Signs Pact with GIZ India and Siemens Limited For German Vocational Training:
- Government of Goa signed a tripartite memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Siemens Limited and Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) India to provide world class German dual vocational education and training in Goa’s Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs).
- Chief Minister:Pramod Sawant
- Governor:Satya Pal Malik
Sports Ministry to organize ‘Fit India Freedom Run’ from August 15:
- Sports Ministry organizes the largest country-wide run, Fit India Freedom Run from August 15 till 2nd of October. The government has decided to encourage participants of the event to run at their own pace – anywhere and at any time of their convenience.
Supreme Court gives equal inheritance right to daughters from 1956:
- Three judges Bench of Supreme Court (SC) headed by Justice Arun Mishra and comprised of Justices S Abdul Nazeer and Mukeshkumar Rasikbhai Shah, the daughters will have equal inheritance rights as of sons in the properties of fathers, grandfathers and great-grandfathers right from the codification of the law in 1956.
Goa’s ‘Khaje’, ‘Harmal Chilli’ and ‘Moira banana’ get GI tag:
- Goa’s traditional festive sweet dish ‘Khaje’, spicy Harmal Chilli and Myndoli Banana (Moira Banana) has obtained Geographical Indication (GI) tag from the Geographical Indications Registry.
- A GI tag protects the produce from being illegally used, and ensures benefits to the local growers’ community.
Telangana Government ties up with WEF for Artificial intelligence-led innovation in agriculture:
- Telangana government launched the Artificial intelligence for Agricultural Innovation (AI4AI) programme, in collaboration with the Centre for the Fourth Industrial Revolution, India (C4IR), and World Economic Forum. The government of Telangana has declared 2020 as the Year of AI to accelerate AI readiness
- Chief Minister:K. Chandrashekar Rao
- National Parks(NP):KasuBrahmananda Reddy NP, Mahaveer Harina NP, Mrugavani NP.
West Bengal Government Launches ‘Karma Sathi Prakalpa’ scheme to Provide Soft Loans and Subsidies to Youth:
- West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee said that the state government will provide soft loans and subsidies to make the youth self-reliant.
- It also launched ‘Matir Smristi’ scheme to utilise 50,000 acres of barren land in 6 districts for income-generating activities like horticulture and pisciculture involving the locals.
- Capital: Kolkata
- Chief Minister: Mamata Banerjee
- Governor: Jagdeep Dhankhar
- National Park(NP): Buxa NP, Gorumara NP, Neora Valley NP, Jaldapara NP, Singalila NP, Sundarbans NP
India extends assistance of USD 1 million to Antigua and Barbuda to combat COVID-19 pandemic:
- Indian government has extended an assistance of USD 1 million to Antigua and Barbuda to combat the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The provided assistance is aimed at improving health capacities and infrastructure in the Caribbean country.
Antigua and Barbuda:
- Prime Minister: Gaston Browne
- Capital: Saint John’s
- Currency: East Caribbean dollar
Donald Trump announces peace deal between UAE and Israel to establish full diplomatic relations:
- United States President Donald Trump announced that Israel and the United Arab Emirates have reached an agreement to work towards “Full Normalization Of Relations” in exchange for Israel suspending annexation of occupied West Bank territory sought by Palestinians.
Banking and Economy
RBI to implement system-based asset classification in urban co-operative banks:
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to implement system-based asset classification in urban co-operative banks (UCBs), prescribing a timeline based on their asset size.
- UCBs having total assets of ₹2,000 crore or above as on March 31, 2020, have to implement system-based asset classification with effect from June 30, 2021.
Federal Bank and Fiserv partner to launch their First Independent Credit Card ‘Federal Bank Credit Card’:
- Federal Bank, private sector bank in India, has teamed-up with Fiserv, Inc., global provider of payments and financial services technology solutions, in a bid to support the launch of the “Federal Bank credit card”. This initiative is also taken to enable the digitization of the bank’s end-to-end card issuance and processing cycle.
- Headquarters: Aluva, Kerala.
- Tagline: “Your Perfect Banking Partner”
- MD & CEO: Shyam Srinivasan.
Vice Admiral Dinesh K Tripathi assumes charge as Director-General Naval Operations:
- Vice Admiral Dinesh K Tripathi, an alumnus of National Defence Academy Khadakwasla, has assumed charge as Director General Naval Operations (DGNO). He has commanded INS Vinash, INS Kirch and INS Trishul and he has also been awarded the Thimmaiya Medal.
Former RBI deputy governor S S Mundra appointed as non-executive chairman of Indiabulls Housing:
- Indiabulls Housing Finance Ltd stated that former deputy RBI governor Subhash Sheoratan Mundra has been appointed as non-executive chairman of the company with immediate effect. Mundra had joined the board of Indiabulls Housing Finance in 2018 as an independent director. He succeeds Sameer Gehlaut.
BharatPe appoints Suhail Sameer as Group President:
- BharatPe has appointed Suhail Sameer as Group President. Sameer along with CEO & Co-Founder Ashneer Grover will have the overall responsibility for building the organization, merchant network, business, and revenue. He was the Winner of Economic Times Most Promising Leader of Asia Award.
Science and Technology
Indian Coast Guard Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) ‘Sarthak’ launched:
- An offshore patrol vessel for Indian Coast Guard was launched and rechristened as ‘Sarthak’. It is the 4th in the series of five OPVs deployed by the Coast Guard to enhance maritime security. The launching ceremony was held at Goa Shipyard.
Microwave device ‘Atulya’ to disintegrate novel Coronavirus unveiled by Nitin Gadkari:
- A microwave device named “Atulya” that can disinfect any premises in just 30 seconds, disintegrating COVID-19 virus was unveiled by Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways and Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Nitin Gadkari in Nagpur.
DIAT develops face mask “Pavitrapati”, anti-microbial body suit “Aushada tara”:
- Pune-based Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT) developed a biodegradable face mask named “Pavitrapati” which acts a virus neutralizer and an anti-microbial body suit named “Aushada tara”. Both were manufactured by Kolhapur-based textile company M/s Siddheshwar Techtessile Pvt. Ltd., Maharashtra.
Israel and US successfully test Arrow-2 ballistic missile defense system:
- Israel Defence Minister Benny Gantz, announced that Israel has successfully tested their advanced missile defence system, Arrow-2, a ballistic missile interceptor, which serves as the top tier integrated Israeli shield built to withstand various missile salvoes, was built with the support of the United States of America.
Awards and Recognitions
Infosy’s Sudha Murthy and ITC’s Sivakumar bags Gramodaya awards:
- Chairperson of Infosys Foundation, Sudha Murty and Group Head of Agri and IT Businesses of ITC Ltd, Sivakumar Surampudi are among the winners of the Gramodaya Bandhu Mitra Puraskaras.
- The other winners include Padma Bhushan Vijay Bhatkar, Padmasri SP Verma, Vilas Shinde (Director, Sahyadri Farms), Koosam Rajamouli, Former Sarpanch of Gangadevipalli in Telangana, Brig Pogula Ganesham, Founder of Palle Srujana, and Govinda Rajulu Chintala, Chairman of the Nabard.
Akshay Kumar only Bollywood star on Forbes list of highest-paid actors:
- Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar has yet again made it to the Forbes list of highest-paid male actors, scoring the 6th spot, slipping two places since 2019. With estimated net worth of $48.5 million, this is Kumar’s fifth consecutive year of being featured on the list.
- Wrestler-turned-actor Dwayne Johnson tops the list for the second year in a row with the estimated net worth of 5 million. Deadpool star Ryan Reynolds, with a net worth of $71.5 million. Third, fourth and fifth spots have gone to actors Mark Wahlberg ($58 million), Ben Affleck ($55 million) and Vin Diesel ($54 million), respectively.
Books and Authors
Sharon Stone to Release Memoir ‘The Beauty of Living Twice’:
- The actress and human rights activist Sharon Stone’s memoir “The Beauty of Living Twice” will be published by Alfred A. Knopf in March 2021, Knopf Publisher Reagan Arthur. The book will be released simultaneously as a hardcover, ebook, and audiobook read by Stone herself.
Model and designer Simar Dugal Passed away at 52:
- Model turned designer Simar Dugal passed away after a battle with cancer. Tributes poured in from the fashion and film industry. She also modelled for Kumar’s book The Costumes and Textiles of Royal India apart from her signature Tree of Life designs.
UPCA president Yadupati Singhania passes away in Singapore:
- Uttar Pradesh Cricket Association (UPCA) president and noted Industrialist Yadupati Singhania died in Singapore. He was 67. Singhania is suffering from kidney disease.
Veteran sports journalist GK Menon passes away at 93:
- Veteran sports journalist GK Menon passed away. He worked with the Indian Express and The Times of India and ended his freelance career in the early 1990s.
Singer and Actor Trini Lopez passes away at 83:
- Trini Lopez, the singer whose hits included “If I Had a Hammer” and “Lemon Tree,” has passed away at 83 of complications due to COVID-19. After receiving a Grammy nomination in 1963, he went on to star in a variety-show special for NBC and act in 1965’s Marriage on the Rocks and 1967’s The Dirty Dozen.
Anshula Rao Becomes First Woman Cricketer In India To Fail Dope Test:
- Madhya Pradesh women cricket team’s Anshula Rao has been provisionally suspended by National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) after failing a dope test. She is a senior member of the team, tested positive for a prohibited substance, 19 Norandrosterone.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.