DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : June 18,19 & 20, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (June 18, 19 & 20, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Check Daily CA from Race Youtube Channel
Govt. demands fingerprinting of messages from WhatsApp to trace origin
- The Indian government has demanded Whatsapp, the Facebook-owned messaging application, to digitally fingerprint messages that are sent on its platform without breaking the encryption.
- AudienceNet, an UK-based social and consumer research agency, reported that the majority of the respondents in India selected WhatsApp as the preferred choice of social media network and a messaging platform.
- It also highlighted that about 78% of the respondents trust WhatsApp to keep their personal details private and secure.
For the first, the Lucknow government has begun the construction of roads using plastic waste
- The Lucknow Development Authority (LDA) is constructing a road using plastic waste for the first time ever.
- The road is constructed from Gomti Nagar Police Station to Indian Institute of Management (IIM) under a pilot project by LDA in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. The LDA has followed guidelines of the Central Road Research Institute (CRRI) in road construction.
- The research showed mixing plastic waste increases the durability of the roads by 40-50%. These roads will be more durable and will stay in good condition for a longer time. Around 8-10% of plastic waste is being mixed in coal tar.
- The initiative was inspired after the success of roads in many foreign countries. In India too, many civic bodies have started road construct using plastic waste in an environmental-friendly experiment. The LDA plans to conduct more research on this road experiment in the next two years to know if there can be some improvement.
The 48th DG conference was held between India’s BSF and BGB was concluded in Dhaka, Bangladesh
- The 48th DG conference was held between India’s Border Security Force (BSF) and the Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB). It was concluded on 15 June at Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- A Joint Record of Discussion was signed by DG, BSF, Rajni Kant Mishra and DG, BGB, Major General Md Shafeenul Islam. The next DG level conference will be held in New Delhi during the first week of November 2019.
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Bangladeshi taka
- Prime minister: Sheikh Hasina
Iran might break the 2015 nuclear deal because of US sanctions
- Iran announced it will breach on 27 June the limit on its stockpile of enriched uranium that was set under a 2015 nuclear deal with world powers. The Country had quadrupled production of the material, which is used to make reactor fuel and potentially nuclear weapons.
- This is because of the sanctions levied by the US government. The US has accused Iran of nuclear extortion. Iran urged European countries to act by protecting Iran from reinstated US sanctions.
- The UK, France and Germany have warned Iran not to violate the 2015 deal. The European countries have previously said they will have no choice but to reimpose their own sanctions, which were lifted in return for limits on the Iranian nuclear programme.
- President: Hassan Rouhani
- Capital: Tehran
- Currency: Iranian rial
Chinese President Xi Jinping is to visit North Korea before the G20 summit
- Chinese President Xi Jinping is to visit North Korea for two days on 20 June. He is the first Chinese leader to visit the reclusive country in 14 years. The North Korean leader Kim Jong Uninvited the Chinese President for a visit
China-North Korea relationship:
- China is the lone major ally of North Korea. North Korea and China have been working together to improve relations since 2018, after they deteriorated as Beijing backed a series of UN sanctions against its Cold War-era ally over its nuclear activities.
- Supreme leader: Kim Jong-un
- Capital: Pyongyang
- Currency: North Korean won
BANKING & FINANCE
PM Narendra Modi is likely to meet chief executives of Indian banks on 21 June
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is likely to meet chief executives of Indian banks on June 21. He is to discuss a blueprint for the banking sector for the next five years in terms of growth and consolidation amid a slowing economy and a crisis in the shadow banking sector.
- The Finance Ministry held discussions with bank chiefs on improving lending to micro, small and medium enterprises, agriculture and other productive sectors of the economy, and also on ease of doing business.
- The Ministry has also held discussions with banks on the ongoing crisis in non-banking financial sectors as NBFCs are facing liquidity crunch following the debt default by IL&FS.
- The country’s GDP growth has been slowed to 5.8% in the January-March 2019 quarter. It might drag down the full-year growth to a 5-year low of 6.8%. This has impacted the productive sectors of the economy.
RBI sets up a committee to review the current framework for the MSME sector
- The Reserve Bank of India had set up an eight-member expert committee under the leadership of former chairman of SEBI, UK Sinha on 18 June 2019. The aim is to review the current framework for the MSME sector.
- The expert committee was set up tosuggest a long-term solutions for the economic and financial sustainability of the micro, small and medium enterprises, to study the impact of the recent economic reforms on the sector, to identify the structural problems affecting its growth, to submit the report analysis by the end of June.
- Upon reviewing the existing MSME focused policies and their impact, the committee will propose measures for leveraging technology in accelerating growth of the sector apart from recommending the global best practices.
RBI imposes Rs.1 crore penalty on HDFC for violating its norms
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) imposed Rs.1 crore penalty on private sector lender HDFC Bank for violating know your customer (KYC) and anti-money laundering (AML) norms. The penalty was imposed on 18 June 2019.
- RBI said that a notice was issued to HDFC Bank on why monetary penalty should not be imposed for non-compliance with the directions. The fine was imposed on HDFC after considering HDFC Bank’s reply, oral submissions made during the personal hearing and additional submission made.
- RBI imposed the penalty in exercise of powers vested to it under the provisions of Section 47A(1)(c) with Section 46(4)(i) of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Union minister Jagat Prakash Nadda appointed as the party’s working president
- Union minister Jagat Prakash Nadda, a Senior BJP leader and former, was appointed as the party’s working president during a parliamentary board meeting on 17 June.
- The announcement was made by former BJP president and Defence Minister Rajnath Singh after the party’s highest decision-making body’s meeting, which was attended by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP chief Amit Shah.
Om Birla has been elected as the 17th Lok Sabha Speaker
- Om Birla has been unanimously elected as the 17th Lok Sabha Speaker with the opposition Congress coming out in support of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA)’s candidate. Birla will replace Sumitra Mahajan.
- Mr.Birla was nominated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, defence minister Rajnath Singh, home minister Amit Shah and minister for transport and highways and shipping Nitin Gadkari. He was also backed by Biju Janata Dal (BJD) and YSR Congress Party (YSRCP).
- The United Progressive Alliance (UPA) which was led by the Congress has also decided to support Birla’s candidature.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Randstad Employer Brand Research 2019 reported Amazon India most attractive employer brand
- According to the Randstad Employer Brand Research (REBR) 2019 reported that Amazon India, the E-commerce giant, is the most attractive employer brand in the country.
- Amazon scored high on financial health, utilisation of latest technologies and a strong reputation.
The top 3 most-attractive employer brands in India for 2019 are:
- 1st-Amazon India
- 2nd-Microsoft India
- 3rd-Sony India
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Researchers have found that the Islands ice sheet has lost more than two giga tonnes in a day
- Researchers have found that the Island’s ice sheet has lost more than two gigatonnes (a gigaton is equal to one billion tonnes) of ice in just a day on June 13 to a widespread melting event. This is a sign that 2019 could once again set records for loss in Greenland ice.
- The Danish Meteorological Institute, the Greenland melting season started very early this year on April 30. This is the second earliest in a record that stretches back to 1980. This year’s start of April 30 is second only to 2016, when a very unusual weather pattern caused an early start to the melting season in mid-April.
- Number three on the list is May 2, 2010, when a similar weather pattern triggered an early melting onset closely followed by May 7 in 2017. The top four have all occurred within the last 10 years.
Facebook unveiled its crypto currency, Libra
- Facebook finally unveiled the details of Libra, its crypto currency. Using Libra people can buy things or send money to people with nearly zero fees.
- It will be rolled out for use in 2020 and allow the platform’s billions of users across the globe to make financial transactions online. The currency will be serviced by a collective of companies called the Libra Association.
England captain Eoin Morgan set the world record for most sixes in an ODI
England captain Eoin Morgan set the world record for most sixes (17) in a One Day International (ODI). He achieved this record during his 71-ball 148-run knock against Afghanistan in World Cup on 18 June 2019.
Morgan was assisted by Joe Root in the 189-run partnership for the third wicket during which Root made 88 runs off 82 balls. The previous record for most sixes (16 sixes) was jointly held by Rohit Sharma, Chris Gayle and AB de Villiers.
England ended up with the 6th highest team total in a World Cup match with 397 for 6 in 50 overs after they opted to bat first at Old Trafford cricket ground.
June 18: International Autistic Pride Day
- Autistic Pride Day is being observed on 18th June every year. Autistic pride recognizes the importance of pride for autistics and understands it not as a disease but as a difference.
- Autistic Pride Day was initiated by Aspies For Freedom, a group that raises public awareness about autism rights.
June 19: World Sickle Cell Day
- World Sickle Cell Awareness Day is celebrated on June 19th of each year to raise the public awareness about the sickle cell disease and its treatment methods.
- Sickle cell disease (SCD) is an inherited genetic abnormality of hemoglobin (the oxygen-carrying protein found in red blood cells). This abnormality causes stuck in small blood vessels, which can slow blood flow and oxygen to parts of the body.
Former Egyptian President Mohamed Morsy passes away
Ousted former Egyptian President Mohamed Morsy died on Monday June 17th after he fainted in court following a hearing, state television reported.
Morsy, a top figure in the Muslim Brotherhood who was the first democratically elected President in Egypt’s modern history, had been in jail since he was toppled by the military in 2013 after mass protests against his rule.
India’s domestic air passenger traffic grew about 3 percent during May
- India’s domestic air passenger traffic grew about 3% year-on-year during May. It reversed a 4.5% fall the sector witnessed in April as a result of the grounding of cash-strapped Jet Airways Ltd., India that led to severe capacity crunch in the sector.
- According to data from Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) said that the domestic carriers carried a total of 1.22 crore passengers in May compared with 1.19 crore passengers carried by various airlines during the corresponding period a year ago.
ICG co-hosts 12th ReCAAP ISC capacity building workshop in New Delhi
- Indian Coast Guard (ICG) co-hosted the 12th Capacity Building workshop in New Delhi. The cooperation with the Regional Cooperation Agreement on Combating Piracy and Armed Robbery against Ships in Asia (ReCAAP) Information Sharing Centre (‘SC) in New Delhi.
- It began on June 19, 2019, and concluded on June 20, 2019. The main aim is to deepen knowledge on issues related to piracy and armed robbery.
- It was inaugurated by Additional Director General, Indian Coast Guard V SR Murthy. Around 31 International delegates from 19 countries participated in the workshop.
NITI Aayog proposed that only electric vehicles should be sold after 2030
NITI Aayog, the government’s think tank, has proposed that only electric vehicles should be sold after 2030. The move is to expand the scope of the clean fuel technology beyond two- and three-wheelers.
- It also seeks to fix responsibility for different ministries. It had asked the Ministry of road transport and highways to prepare a framework to phase out the sale of diesel and petrol vehicles by 2030.
- It has also suggested that the ministry to roll out an e-highways programme, with an overhead electricity network, to enable plying of trucks and buses on select National Highways.
- It directed the Ministry of Heavy Industries to go for complete replacement of all diesel/ petrol vehicles with EVs of all central ministries, agencies and public sector by 2030.
- The proposals are part of the plan to manufacture 50 Gigawatt hour (GWh) batteries by 2030. Earlier, a panel headed by NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant had suggested that only electric-powered three-wheelers and two-wheelers with an engine capacity of up to 150 cc should be sold from 2025.
Himachal Pradesh made GPS mandatory for trekkers
- The Himachal Pradesh government made it mandatory for trekkers to carry a GPS device to tackle any exigency on 18 June 2019. The decision was made in a review meeting chaired by Additional Chief Secretary Shrikant Baldi on preparedness for the monsoon in Shimla.
- The announcement also added that it is important that trekking and other yatras must be restricted during adverse weather. Being a disaster-prone state special attention must be taken to disseminate weather advisories and installing early warning systems in Himachal Pradesh.
- Governor: Acharya Dev Vrat
- Chief Minister: Jai Ram Thakur
- Capital: Shimla, Dharamshala
Maharashtra topped the USGBC list of Top 10 States for LEED in India
- The Second Edition of the United States Green Building Council’s (USGBC) list of India’s top 10 states is released. The states which have maximum number of Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certified green buildings are listed below.
- Maharashtra bagged the top slot with 334 LEED-certified green buildings
It is followed by Karnataka and Tamil Nadu with the rankings 232 and 157 buildings respectively.
- LEED is a widely used green building rating system in order to rank states in terms of cumulative Gross Square Feet (GSF) of certified space. They were ranked on December 31, 2018. At the first Edition of the list Tamil Nadu ranked first with 118 buildings.
UN report says India is set to overtake China as the most populous country by 2027
- United Nations report said that India is set to overtake China as the most populous country by 2027. India will have almost 1.64 billion inhabitants by 2050. South Asia’s opportunity to reap the demographic dividend will peak by 2047.
- According to the World Population Prospects 2019 report India is expected to have the largest national increase in the world by 2050. China, on the other hand, is expected to become smaller, dropping from its current 1.43 billion people to approximately 1.4 billion by 2050.
- However, while India may have the highest absolute increase in numbers, its rate of growth is slowing. The Central and the Southern Asia region, of which India is a part, is expected to see a 25% increase in population between now and 2050.
World Bank agreed a loan agreement of USD 518 million to Pakistan for reforms
- The World Bank has agreed a loan agreement of $518 million to Pakistan for reforms to enhance tax revenues and reduce compliance cost to provide better services to the public.
- The bank approved $400 million loan for the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) to increase its tax to gross domestic product ratio from 13% to 17% and enhance the number of income tax return filers, among other reforms.
- The other $118 million will go to revenue mobilization and public resource management project of the country’s northwest Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province to increase its capacity for revenue collection and the management of the province’s resources.
India extended $15 million grant to Niger to organize the AU summit
- India extended USD 15 million assistance to Nigeria for organizing the African Union (AU) summit scheduled to be held in Niamey.
- This summit is scheduled to be held in Niamey from July 7-8.It is the first time that Niger is scheduled to host an AU summit.
- The assistance in the form of the grant was symbolically handed over to Niger’s Deputy Foreign Minister Lamido Ousseini Bala Goga Salamatou by Ambassador of India to Niger Rajesh Agarwal held on June 17 in Niamey.T
- his summit is expected to launch the historic African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA).
- Capital: Abuja
- President: Muhammadu Buhari
- Vice President:Yemi Osinbajo
Ireland plans to ban sale of petrol and diesel cars from 2030
- Ireland decided to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel vehicles by 2030 as part of a major strategy to protect the environment. It is one among the 180 measures of the Irish government published in the ‘Climate Action Plan’.
- They plan to have 950,000 electric vehicles on Irish roads supported by a network of charging stations. This plan also includes the elimination of non-recyclable plastic and higher fees for plastic items which are difficult to recycle.
- To this, the government decided to invest in a nationwide charging network.
Their main objective is to transition to a low-carbon to achieve net zero carbon emissions by 2050.
- The ban of the sale of new fossil fuel cars, they would stop granting National Car Test (NCT) certificates to such vehicles by 2045.
- Capital: Dublin
- Prime Minister: Leo Varadkar
- President: Michael D. Higgins
- Currency: Euro
AGREEMENTS & MOU
KSEB signed an agreement with GJ Eco Power Pvt. Ltd. to establish Waste-to-Energy (WtE) plants
The Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB) signed a power purchase agreement with Kochi-based GJ Eco Power Pvt. Ltd. to establish Waste-to-Energy (WtE) plants across the State. GJ Eco Power Pvt. Ltd. has been implementing the project at the Brahmapuram solid waste treatment plant.
The proposed plant is expected to be commissioned within 18 months of the launch of its construction. The power purchase agreement was signed in the presence of Electricity Minister M.M. Mani, Electricity Department secretary B. Ashok and KSEB chairman and managing director N.S. Pillai.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Indiabulls Housing Finance Ltd has appointed Naveen Uppal as the Chief Risk Officer
- Indiabulls Housing Finance Ltd has appointed Naveen Uppal as the Chief Risk Officer (CRO). The appointment complied with norms of National Housing Bank (NHB), the housing finance sector regulator.
- His appointment will be for a period of three years with effect from June 17, 2019. He will be directly reporting to the managing director and CEO of the company.
- Indiabulls Housing Finance Ltd:
- Headquarters: Gurgaon, India
- Chairman and Founder: Sameer Gehlaut
- Vice Chairman and MD: Gagan Banga
Kona Raghupati was elected as the Deputy Speaker of the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly
- Kona Raghupati was unanimously elected as the Deputy Speaker of the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly on 18 June 2019. He is a two-time MLA from the ruling YSRCP who is representing Bapatla constituency.
- Mr. Raghupati was nominated by the Municipal Administration and Urban Development Minister Botsa Satyanarayana which was backed by other members of the cabinet and senior leaders of the ruling party.
- Speaker Tammineni Sitaram declared the election of Kona Raghupathi as Deputy Speaker as he was the only contestant.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Matri Shree Media Award was presented to 29 journalists from print and electronic media
Twenty-nine journalists from print and electronic media was awarded the Matri Shree Media Awards for their contribution towards journalism.
Apart from media personalities, a social activist was also presented the Bharat Mata shield at the 44th Matri Shree media award ceremony organized in New Delhi.
A former mayor of North Delhi Municipal Corporation Adesh Gupta was also felicitated for his contribution to social service.
The awards were presented by Working President of Punjab Kesari Delhi Swadesh Bhushan Jain and Chairman of the Committee Ashok Aggarwal, Harish Chopra, Ankush Aggarwal, Chetan Sharma, Ramesh Bajaj, Vishal Rana and Kailash Agrawal.
Indian engineer wins Innovation for Sustainable Development Award
- Indian engineer Nitesh Kumar Jangir whose low-cost neonatal breathing device saved the lives of new-born babies across small towns. India won the 2019 Commonwealth Secretary-General’s Innovation for Sustainable Development Award in London.
- Nitesh Kumar Jangir created Saans as a breathing support device to avoid deaths of premature babies from respiratory distress syndrome due to a lack of immediate access to complex medical equipment.
- He received his award in the People category alongside 14 other innovators from across the 53 member-countries of the Commonwealth. The main aim is to ensure that babies don’t lose their lives due to the lack of access to a piece of technology.This device can be used anywhere to deliver crucial support to premature babies.
Rashid Khan becomes most expensive bowler in World Cup history
- Afghanistan leg-spinner Rashid Khan is the most expensive bowler in World Cup history. He is the world’s No.3 ODI bowler. He played Sunrisers Hyderabad in Indian Premier League
- The record earlier belonged to New Zealand’s Martin Snedden 105 runs for two wickets against England in the 1983 World Cup. Rashid had taken one for 52 against Australia and two for 17 against Sri Lanka.
- He gave 45 runs against South Africa team. He is the second most expensive in ODI history. Pakistan’s left-arm Wahab Riaz took 110 runs in 10 overs against England in August 2016. He is a world class bowler & a delight to watch.
About International Cricket Council
- ICC Chairperson: Manu Sahney
- Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
World Refugee Day: 20 June
- World Refugee Day is observed on June 20 each year. The day is dedicated to raising awareness of the situation of refugees throughout the world.
- The theme for 2019 World Refugee day is #StepWithRefugees — Take a Step on World Refugee Day.
- The theme expects communities, schools, businesses, faith groups and people from all walks of life should take big and small steps in solidarity with refugees.
- Refugee is a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster.
UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR):
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- High Commissioner for Refugees: Filippo Grandi
Cyclone Fani dealt a big blow to honeybees in coastal Odisha
Cyclone Fani caused substantial damage to honeybees living in the natural environment homes in the coastal areas of Odisha. The loss of pollinators to affect the production of fruits and vegetables in the storm-hit areas.
The particularly grim in Puri and Khurda districts are badly affected. The other districts where honeybees severely hit include Cuttack, Jagatsinghpur, and Kendrapara.
Around thousands of bee colonies on trees and buildings are believed to have been damaged by wind with speeds of up to 200-220 kmph. The period from January to May is the peak time for honey production. This phase will continue till the rainy season gets over.
There is no concrete data available about the number of bee colonies at farms and homes. The information collected from farmers in rural areas indicated that around 5,000 colonies suffered with the hives getting damaged.
The 2nd edition of India and Italy Joint Working Group on counter terrorism was held in New Delhi
The 2nd Meeting of India-Italy Joint Working Group on Counter Terrorismwas held in New Delhi, India on 17 June 2019.
The meeting was co-chaired by Mahaveer Singhvi, Joint Secretary (Counter Terrorism), Ministry of External Affairs and Diego Brasioli, Principal Director for Security, Disarmament and non- Proliferation, Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Italy.
The next meeting of the Joint Working Group will be held in Italy.
- President: Sergio Mattarella
- Capital: Rome, Currency: Euro
ISRO opens its laboratories for Indian school students
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is an agency which has the legacy of India’s ancient knowledge and modern technology. It will opened its laboratories for Indian school students to undergo two-week training from this year.
first batch 108 students drawn from all states.
Union Territories completed their exposure in its laboratories in Bengaluru, Sriharikota, Thiruvananthapuram. The training module devised as part of its new Young Scientists Programme. Yuva Vigyanik Karyakram, YUVIKA.
ISRO’s YUVIKA is modeled around the Indian government’s vision ‘Jai Vigyan, Jai Anusandhan’.
India to host COP-14 of UNCCD
India will be hosting the14th session of the Conference of Parties (COP-14) of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) for the first time. COP-14 will be held between September 2 and 14 in Delhi.
Participants: It is expected that atleast 5,000 delegates from nearly 197 countries will be participating.
The Centre launched a flagship project, part of a larger international initiative called the Bonn Challenge ahead of the COP-14. The flagship project aims to enhance India’s capacity for forest landscape restoration (FLR).
The Bonn Challenge is a global effort to bring 150 million hectares of the world’s deforested and degraded land under restoration by 2020, and 350 million hectares by 2030.
Pakistan failed to fulfill FATF standard to curb terror funding
- Pakistan has failed to complete 25 of the 27 requirements demanded by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), international terror financing watchdog , to curb terror funding.
- FATF already warned Pakistan to take effective measures to combat money laundering and terrorist financing else the country will be placed on the “grey” list or downgrade it to the black list. Pakistan has been on FATF’s grey list since 2018.
- In June 2018, Pakistan committed to work with the FATF to strengthen its anti-money laundering and combating terrorist financing regimes.
Because of this failure, multilateral lenders like the IMF, the World Bank and the EU may continue downgrading Pakistan, making its financial situation more precarious.
- FATF has also asked Pakistan to submit the details regarding the $7 million allocated to maintain schools, madrasas, clinics and ambulances originally operated by the terror groups.
United States has allowed Iraq to import Iranian gas
The United States has allowed Iraq to import Iranian gas for its power grid for another three months by extending a waiver to sanctions. But the US insisted that Iraq finds an alternative measure for its need of electricity, including by harnessing gas energy and reducing flaring at oil production sites.
Iraq has had several extensions to the waiver first granted in 2018 after Washington reimposed sanctions on Tehran’s oil sector forbidding countries from purchasing Iranian energy.
The extension was given during a phone call between Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi and U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. The United States continued to insist on diversifying energy imports away from Iran.
India to celebrate the 20th anniversary of victory in Operation VIJAY
India is to celebrate the 20th anniversary of victory in Operation VIJAY,which popularly known as the Kargil War. The Kargil War is a saga of strong political, military and diplomatic actions.
The Kargil Vijay Diwas celebrations for the year 2019 will be spread over three days from 25-27 July 2019 and will be organized at Dras and New Delhi.
However, as part of the build up to the main event, numerous activities are planned to be organized all over the country with effect from first week of July 2019.
The theme of the day is ‘Remember, Rejoice and Renew’.
The objective of these celebrations is to evoke feeling of nationalism and patriotism through nationwide campaigns especially amongst youth and to pay homage to the valiant soldiers.
Operation Sunrise was carried out between India and Myanmar to target militant group
Operation Sunrise 2 is a coordinated military operation which was carried out between India and Myanmar to target militant groups.
The Indian army and Myanmar Army carried out a three-week-long coordinated operation in their respective border areas from May 16.
The operation targeted several militant groups operating in Manipur, Nagaland and Assam.
The first phase of “Operation Sunrise” was conducted in March along the Indo-Myanmar border. In the operation a number of camps of north-east-based militant groups were busted.
During “Operation Sunrise 2”, the armies coordinated with each other to bust camps of militant outfits, including the Kamtapur Liberation Organisation (KLO), NSCN (Khaplang), the United Liberation Front of Assam (I) and the National Democratic Front of Boroland (NDFB).
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
FundzBazar launched ‘Selfie Wala KYC’ feature for first-time mutual fund investors
FundzBazar online mutual fund investment platform launched by Prudent, launched ‘Selfie Wala KYC’ feature. It is applicable for the first-time mutual fund investors.
Investors can complete their KYC (Know your Customer) process at any place. It allows the investors to carry out the IPV (In-Person Verification) to upload a video and a selfie to speed up the KYC process.
The 5 steps should be followed are Upload and enter Proof of Address, Date of Birth. Upload PAN Card. Download Signature Declaration form, sign it and upload it.
To avail this feature, investors need to sign up and register on Fundzbazar which is available on the website and FundzBazar Android Mobile App.
AGREEMENTS & MOU
DGT partnered with Cisco & Accenture for skilling programme
Directorate General of Training (DGT) joined hands with IT networking major Cisco and global consulting firm Accenture to skill youngsters for the digital economy.
Quest Alliance employability skilling programme will equip students enrolled in Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) across India over the next two years.
Nearly 15 lakh students across all ITIs can access the digital learning module from Bharat Skills portal.
ITI ecosystem is one of the outcome-based networks for skill development. The program includes tailor-made curriculum with modules for digital literacy, career readiness, employability skills and advanced technology skills like data analytics
A learning model enabled by a combination of online self-learning via Bharat Skills portal and in-classroom modules.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Inger Andersen is appointed as the new Executive Director of the UNEP
Inger Andersen of Denmark is appointed as the new Executive Director of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
She was nominated to the post by UN Secretary-General António Guterres. The nomination was approved by acclamation by the UN General Assembly on 20 February. She will serve for a period of four years.
United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP):
- Headquarters: Nairobi, Kenya
- Head: Inger Andersen
- Director: Erik Solheim
Lieutenant General Faiz Hameed is appointed as Pakistans Director General of Inter-Services Intelligence
Lieutenant General Faiz Hameed has been appointed as Pakistan’s Director General of Inter-Services Intelligence (DG-ISI), a powerful spy agency. He assumed his office on 17th June 2019.
The Pakistan Army also announced a number of changes to postings of its top generals. Lt. Gen. Hameed was appointed as Director-General of the ISI in place of Lieutenant General Asim Munir.
Munir was transferred and appointed as Corps Commander Gujranwala. Lt. Gen. Munir was appointed as ISI chief in October 2018 after the retirement of his predecessor Lt. Gen. Naveed Mukhtar.
Bangladesh recorded the second highest successful chase in World Cup history
Bangladesh has recorded the second highest successful chase in World Cup history. The Bangladesh cricket team chased down the target of 322 against West Indies. Bangladesh (322/3) beat West Indies (321/8) by 7 wickets in Taunton.
The previous second highest successful chase in World Cup was also recorded by Bangladesh when they chased down the target of 319 against Scotland in 2015. Notably, it is also Bangladesh’s highest ever chase in ODI cricket.
Joshna Chinappa wins record 17th National Title in Squash
- Joshna Chinappa made a record for the most number of national titles after beating her Tamil Nadu state-mate Sunayna Kuruvilla.
- Joshna broke an age-old landmark set by Bhuvneshwari Kumari who held the record for 27 Years winning consecutive titles from 1976 to 1991.
June 18 – Sustainable Gastronomy Day
- The UN General Assembly adopted on 21 December 2016 its resolution A/RES/71/246 and designated 18 June as an international observance, Sustainable Gastronomy Day.
- Sustainable Gastronomy Day emphasizes the need to focus the world’s attention on the role that sustainable gastronomy can play. It also reaffirms that all cultures and civilizations are contributors and crucial enablers of sustainable development.
Former MP Rajnath Singh Surya passes away
- Former BJP Rajya Sabha MP and senior journalist Rajnath Singh ‘Surya’ passed away in Lucknow. He was 82 years old.
- Singh became a Rajya Sabha MP in November 1996 and retired in November 2002.
Attend Current Affairs Quiz for the Month of May – 2019 from the link that is provided below.
Learn the Other Day Current Affairs from bankersdaily Team from the link that is provided below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.