DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Aug 15, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Aug 15 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Indian Independence Day- August 15:
- Independence Day is celebrated annually on 15 August as a national holiday in India commemorating the nation’s independence from the United Kingdom on 15 August 1947. It is India’s 74th Independence Day.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launches SRIJAN portal for Indigenization in Defence Sector:
- Defence Minister has launched a portal “SRIJAN” which is a one-stop-shop online portal that provides access to the vendors to take up items for indigenization. This is to help industry partners to play an active role towards self-reliance in defence sector.
FM Nirmala Sitharaman holds 3rd review meeting of CPSEs on capital expenditure:
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman held 3rd review meeting of Central Public Sector Enterprises, CPSEs on capital expenditure for the current financial year.
- Secretaries of the Ministries of Shipping, Road Transport and Highways, Housing and Urban Affairs, Defence and Department of Telecommunications along with the CMDs of 7 CPSEs were also present during the meeting.
Odisha retains top spot in effective implementation of AMRUT Scheme:
- Odisha has retained the top rank in the country in the effective implementation of Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) scheme this year all-India ranking released by the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- Odisha has topped the list by securing 85.67 per cent of marks. Chandigarh and Telangana have secured second and third positions with 75.08 and 74.04 per cent respectively.
National Health Authority board Approves to integrate central health schemes with Ayushman Bharat:
- Governing board of National Health Authority (NHA) approved a proposal to integrate existing health schemes of Central Ministries and public sector undertakings with Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB PM-JAY) chaired by Union heath Minister Harsha Vardhan.
Two over bridges of Ahmedabad named after late Arun Jaitley and Sushma Swaraj:
- In Gujarat, two over bridges of Ahmedabad city have been named after late Arun Jaitley and Sushma Swaraj. The Railway over the bridge in Ranip area of the city will be known as Atmanirbhar Gujarat Railway Flyover.
- The newly built flyover at the Income Tax circle will be known as Arun Jaitley flyover, while another flyover at Anjali crossroad will be known as Sushma Swaraj Bridge.
Punjab CM launches ‘Smart Connect Scheme’ gives smartphones to students:
- Punjab government took a major digital leap forward with the statewide launch of its Rs 92 crore ‘Punjab Smart Connect Scheme’ by Chief Minister Amarinder Singh, who handed over smartphones to six Class XII students in a symbolic gesture.
Punjab achieved 1st rank in operationalisation of Health & Wellness Centers (HWCs):
- Punjab has achieved 1st rank in operationalisation of Health & Wellness Centers (HWCs) as per the latest ranking of states released by the Government of India. This scheme was launched in the state in the year 2019.
India aims to have zero road fatalities by 2030:
- Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Jairam Gadkari while addressing the Indo-Australian Chamber of Commerce and Womennovator on Trade Investment and collaborations in Road infrastructure has underlined India’s initiatives to achieve Zero Road Fatalities by 2030.
President approves 84 gallantry awards for Defence personnel:
- President Ram Nath Kovind has approved 84 gallantry awards for Defence personnel, including nine Shaurya Chakra. The Kirti Chakra has been posthumously awarded to Abdul Rashid Kalas, Head Constable, Jammu and Kashmir Police.
- The awards include Kirti Chakra, Shaurya Chakras, Bar to Sena Medals, Sena Medals, Nao Sena Medals & Vayu Sena Medals.
India and Nigeria sign MoU on space cooperation:
- Government of India signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Space Cooperation with the Federal government of Republic of Nigeria at the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology headquarters in Abuja, Nigeria.
- The MoU enhances the Socio economic development, space exploration, environmental safety and trade between India and Nigeria.
- Capital: Abuja
- Currency: Nigerian naira
- President: Muhammadu Buhari
Banking and Economy
HDFC Bank launches Shaurya KGC card for armed forces:
- HDFC Bank has launched the “Shaurya KGC card” for the armed forces. The product is based on KISAN CREDIT CARD guidelines by the government and will provide armed forces personnel with finance for agricultural requirements like production of the crop, etc.,
RBI Tightens Corporate Governance Norms For Core Investment Firms:
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) released a revised set of guidelines for core investment companies (CICs) tightening corporate governance and disclosure norms to Review the Regulatory and Supervisory Framework for Core Investment Companies (CICs), constituted under the Chairmanship of Tapan Ray, former Secretary, Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA).
RBI Board approves transfer of Rs 57,128 crore as surplus to government:
- RBI Board approved the transfer of Rs 57,128 crore as surplus to the government for the accounting year 2019-20 while maintaining the Contingency Risk Buffer at 5%. This was decided at the 584th meeting of the Central Board of RBI chaired by the Governor.
SBI introduces Kisan Credit Card review feature on YONO Krishi:
- SBI added a new feature called Kisan Credit Card Review on YONO Krishi to make the lives of farmer customers easier by offering them technology-backed solutions. With this, farmers need not visit a bank branch to apply for a revision in their KCC limit.
Diplomat Vikram Kumar Doraiswami appointed India’s next envoy to Bangladesh:
- Indian Foreign Service officer Vikram Kumar Doraiswami has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to Bangladesh, according to a statement from the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
- Currently, Doraiswami is an Additional Secretary in-charge of international organizations and summits at the headquarters of the External Affairs Ministry in New Delhi.
Science and Technology
BEML teams up with IIT-Kanpur for pilotless aircraft & Unmanned Aerial Vehicles:
- Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML) collaborated with IIT-Kanpur for joint indigenous development of pilotless target aircraft (PTA) and tactical Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs). They would synergies respective capabilities and undertake testing & development.
ISRO and IISc Bengaluru develop sustainable process to make “Space Bricks” on Lunar Surface:
- Indian Space Research Organisation and the Indian Institute of Science in Bengaluru has developed a sustainable process to make space bricks on the lunar surface. The process enables making load bearing bricks by using lunar soil, bacteria and guar beans.
IIT Ropar develops UVGI based ‘room disinfection’ device “UVSAFE”:
- Indian Institute of Technology Ropar (IIT-R) in collaboration with Momentum India Private Limited developed “UVSAFE” a state of the art room disinfection device based on Singular Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation(UVGI).
Awards and Recognitions
Vertex Global Services CEO Gagan Arora wins “CEO of the Year” Award by ‘Indian Achiever’s 2020:
- Gagan Arora was recently named as “CEO of the Year – 2020” by Indian Achievers Forum India. He is the CEO & Strategic Growth Leader of Vertex Global Services.
Computer scientist and Digital imaging inventor Russell Kirsch dead at 91:
- Russell Kirsch research from the 50’s underlies the entire field of digital imaging, died. His famous accomplishment is the first scanned digital image – decades before the first digital camera. Kirsch continued to work on early AI until retirement.
Veteran Malayalam Poet and Drama Writer Chunakkara Ramankutty Passed Away at 84:
- Malayalam poet, lyricist and drama writer Chunakkar Ramankutty passed away at the age of 84 due to old age related ailments in a hospital at Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. He hails from Chunakkara, Alappuzha, Kerala.
England all-rounder Laura Marsh announces retirement from all forms of cricket:
- Former England all-rounder Laura Marsh has announced her retirement from all forms of cricket. She was slated to represent Oval Invincible in the tournament, but the competition has been pushed to 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.