DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Aug 22, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Aug 22 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Entrepreneurs Day- August 21:
- World Entrepreneurs Day is observed on August 21. It dedicated solely to entrepreneurship, leadership and innovation across the globe. It is also a day to create awareness about entrepreneurship, innovation and leadership across the world.
Andhra Pradesh inks pact with Reliance, Allana group for empowering women:
- Andhra Pradesh government has signed MoUs with Reliance Retail, Jio and Allana group to collaborate in the YSR Cheyutha, a scheme for empowering women.
- Reliance Retail will help women in running groceries retail shops and train them besides providing them provisions at competitive prices.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam.
- National Park: Sri Venkateswara National Park ,Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park.
Uttar Pradesh Government Inks Deal with Israel for Bundelkhand water crisis solution:
- Government of Uttar Pradesh has signed a ‘Plan Of Cooperation’ with the Government of Israel for the management of water resources in Bundelkhand region of the state, which faces potable water shortage in summers.
- The plan of cooperation for the ‘India –Israel – Bundelkhand Water Project’ was signed by the Israeli ambassador to India, Ron Malka, and UP’s Agriculture Production Commissioner Alok Sinha on 20 August, the day on which ‘India Day’ is celebrated in Israel.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park (Tiger Reserve)
- Zoological park: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan(Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden
- Currency:Israeli Shekel
- Prime Minister: Benjamin Netanyahu
- President: Reuven Rivlin
Banking and Economy
RBI Releases National Strategy for Financial Education 2020-2025:
- National Strategy for Financial Education (NSFE: 2013-2018) the revised NSFE (2020-2025) has been prepared and the document for the same was released by Mahesh Kumar Jain, Deputy Governor, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on August 20, 2020.
- The document recommends adoption of a ‘5 C’ approach viz. Content, Capacity, Community, Communication and Collaboration.
HSBC India Becomes 1st Foreign Bank in India to launch a ‘Green Deposit Programme’ for Corporate Clients to Finance Green Initiatives:
- HSBC has announced the launch of its Green Deposit programme in India for its corporate clients. The first-of-its-kind product for the Indian market, the Green Deposit will enable the bank’s clients to support greener more sustainable projects.
Digit Insurance Launches SME Buddy to Simplify Insurance for SMEs and Startups on World Entrepreneurs’ Day:
- On world’s entrepreneur day (August 21), technology-driven general insurance company Digit Insurance has launched an exclusive do-it-yourself (DIY) advisory tool for Small And Medium Enterprises (SMEs) and startups, SME Buddy. Digit recently won ‘Insurance Start-up of the Year-India’ Awards by Insurance Asia.
Religare Health Insurance to be renamed as Care Health Insurance:
- Religare Health Insurance is an Indian health insurance firm established by Religare enterprise limited, Union Bank of India and Corporation Bank. The company is headquartered in Gurgaon, Haryana.
SBI General Insurance launches ‘Shagun – Gift insurance’ policy:
- SBI General Insurance, one of the leading general insurance companies in India, today announced the launch of first-of-its-kind offering, ‘Shagun – Gift an Insurance”, a unique gift of Personal Accident policy.
- This product was filed by SBI General under Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority’s (IRDAI) Sandbox regulations.
Acquisitions and Mergers
IBM partners with NSDC to offer free digital education platform to students:
- IBM announced its collaboration with National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) to offer ‘Open P-TECH’, a free digital education platform, focused on emerging technologies and professional development skills.
- The open P-TECH (Pathways to Technology Early College High School) platform was launched in India in March 2020 to equip young learners and educators with foundational technology competencies and emerging areas of technology.
CCI approves proposed acquisition of C&S Electric by Siemens Limited:
- Competition Commission of India (CCI) approved the proposed acquisition of C&S Electric Limited by Siemens Limited. The proposed combination envisages the acquisition of 100 per cent of the share capital of C&S Electric Limited (C&S) by Siemens Limited (Siemens India).
Science and Technology
NHAI develops mobile App ‘Harit Path’ to facilitate creation of Green Highways across country:
- National Highways Authority of India (NHAI), a PSU under the Ministry of Road and Transport, has developed a mobile App, ‘Harit Path’ to facilitate creation of Green Highways across the country.
- The App will also be used to monitor location, growth, species details, maintenance activities, targets and achievements of each of the PSU’s field units for every plant under the Highway plantation projects.
Former Finance Secretary Rajiv Kumar Appointed New Election Commissioner:
- Central government appointed retired bureaucrat Rajiv Kumar as the new Election Commissioner. The Ministry of Law and Justice in a notification said Kumar, a 1984 batch IAS officer of the Jharkhand cadre, will take charge the day Election Commissioner Ashok Lavasa leaves office on August 31.
Awards and Recognitions
Rohit Sharma, Mariappan Thangavelu, Vinesh Phogat, Rani Rampal & Manika Batra: to be honoured with Khel Ratna Award:
- Rohit Sharma, Manika Batra, Vinesh Phogat, Mariyappan Thangavelu, Rani Rampal will be awarded Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award. Rohit Sharma is among five recipients who will be awarded India’s highest sporting honour — the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award for 2020.
- Another 29 were selected for the Arjuna award by the sports ministry’s selection committee.
Books and Authors
Michael Cohen book ‘Disloyal: The True Story of the Former Personal Attorney to President Donald J. Trump’ to be published:
- Michael Cohen is completing the last two years of a three-year prison sentence at home after pleading guilty to campaign finance charges and lying to Congress. Skyhorse Publishing is the publisher of the book.
A Book Titled ‘One Arranged Murder’ Authored by Chetan Bhagat to be released:
- A Book Titled ‘One Arranged Murder’ authored by Chetan Bhagat will be released worldwide on September 28, 2020. The fiction book portrays a murder mystery in the backdrop of an arranged marriage. The book will be published by Westland Publications Ltd. It is the author’s 9th novel and 11th book overall.
Former India international goalkeeper Bhaskar Maity passes away:
- Former India international goalkeeper Bhaskar Maity, who suffered a brain stroke, passed away at the age of 67. The goalkeeper was an integral part of the Indian national team at the 1978 Asian Games wherein India was ousted from the semifinal group stage.
DMK Veteran And Former Minister A Rahman Khan passes away:
- Former Tamil Nadu cabinet minister and senior DMK leader A Rahman Khan passed away. Rahman, 77, was undergoing treatment in a private hospital in Chennai.
- Rahman was a five-time MLA and secured a hattrick victory from the Chepauk constituency, in 1977, 1980, and 1984. He successfully contested from Poonga Nagar in 1989 and from Ramanathapuram in 1996.
Uttar Pradesh BJP MLA Janmejai Singh passes away at 75:
- In Uttar Pradesh, Bharatiya Janata Party sitting MLA Janmejai Singh from Deoria Sadar seat died of heart attack in Lucknow last night. He was 75.
- He was first elected to the House in a by-election in 2000, was again elected in the 2012 and 2017 state polls.
Ronnie O’Sullivan wins sixth World Snooker Championship after defeating Kyren Wilson”:
- English Professional Snooker Player Ronnie O’Sullivan won the World Snooker Championship for the 6th time by winning the 2020 World Snooker Championship at Crucible Theatre, Sheffield, England. He defeated England’s Kyren Wilson (18-8) in the final of the Betfred World Snooker Championship.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.