DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Aug 27, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Aug 27 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Water Week 2020: 24-28 August:
- World Water Week is an annual global event organized by Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) since 1991 to address the planet’s water issues and related concerns of international development.
- The theme for World Water Week 2020 at Home is ‘Water and Climate change: Accelerating Action’.
Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare to integrate e- Pension Payment Order with Digi Locker:
- It will create a permanent record of their PPO in their Digi Locker and at the same time eliminate delays in reaching the PPO to new Pensioners, as well as the necessity of handing over a physical copy. The facility has been created with Bhavisya Software.
Gujarat tops Niti Aayog’s first ever Export Preparedness Index 2020, followed by Maharashtra and TN:
- Gujarat has topped the Niti Aayog’s Export Preparedness Index 2020 followed by Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu in the second and third place respectively, according to the government think tank’s report.
- Niti Aayog in partnership with the Institute of Competitiveness released the first Export Preparedness Index (EPI) 2020.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
Haryana Government Signed MoU with M3M Foundation to Enable Students to get into Government Jobs:
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed between the Department of Employment, Haryana and the M3M Foundation in order to facilitate the online preparation, training and mentoring for the government jobs for the students.
- Chief Minister:Manohar Lal Khattar
- Governor:Satyadev Narayan Arya
- National Parks(NP):Sultanpur NP, Kalesar NP
- Dance:Phag, Dhamal, Loor, Khoria.
Tamil Nadu women top the list of MUDRA loan scheme beneficiaries:
- Women of Tamil Nadu have topped the list of women borrowers under the Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana (PMMY) since its inception. Tamil Nadu followed by West Bengal and Karnataka are at 2nd and 3rd place.
- More than 15 crore loans amounting to ₹4.78-lakh-crore have been disbursed to women borrowers under the Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana (PMMY).
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Governor:Banwarilal Purohit.
World Health Organization declares Africa free of polio:
- World Health Organization has declared Africa free of polio, a landmark in a decades-long campaign to eradicate the notorious disease around the world. This was announced by WHO Regional Director of Africa, Dr Matshidiso Moeti.
World Health Organisation (WHO):
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Head: Tedros Adhanom
- Founded: 7 April 1948
- Chief Scientist: Soumya Swaminathan
Banking and Economy
Bajaj Allianz General Insurance launches comprehensive Pet Dog Insurance starting at Rs 315:
- Bajaj Allianz General Insurance has launched a pet insurance product, called ‘Bajaj Allianz Pet Dog Insurance Policy’. The company claims this policy to be India’s only retail comprehensive pet insurance offering for pet dogs.
- This policy will provide comprehensive coverage to domesticated pet dogs of indigenous origin, pedigree, non-pedigree, cross-bred and also exotic breeds over the lifetime of the dogs from age 3 months to 10 years.
Axis Bank introduced ‘Liberty Savings Account’ for the Indian Youth:
- Axis Bank has introduced ‘Liberty Savings Account’ for the Indian Youth, to address the ever-changing lifestyle needs of young and digitally interested Indians.
- It offers a complimentary hospital cash insurance cover of up to Rs 20,000 per year, which covers hospital expenses incurred under COVID -19, which makes this a 1st of its kind savings account to cover the pandemic.
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- MD & CEO: Amitabh Chaudhry.
- Tagline: “Badhti Ka Naam Zindagi”.
HDFC Bank partners with Adobe to enhance digital customer experiences:
- HDFC Bank announced a strategic partnership with Adobe to enhance the digital experience journey of its customers. Powered by Adobe Experience Cloud solutions, this partnership will enable HDFC Bank to deliver personalised digital experiences to existing as well as new customers, at anytime and anywhere.
- Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman– Deepak S. Parekh
- CEO: Aditya Puri.
- Tagline: “We understand your world”.
HSBC India Launched Omni Collect, a One Stop Solution for multiple payment options:
- HSBC India has launched Omni Collect, a one-stop solution in India. It supports businesses to offer multiple payment options on a single platform. It is designed for businesses to easily collect payments through various digital methods, thereby allowing them to easily adapt to the changes in consumer spending.
- Headquarters: London, United Kingdom
- CEO: Noel Quinn.
RBI Annual Report 2019-20: Economy To Grow, Inflation To Ease:
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) released its Annual Report for 2019-20. It is Report of the Central Board of Directors on the working of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for the year ended June 30, 2020 submitted to the Central Government in terms of Section 53(2) of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934
- In the report, RBI projected that India’s growth at minus 5% for 2020-21. It will be (-) 3.7% in the single hit scenario and (-) 7.3% in the double hit scenario in FY 20-21.
Acquisitions and Mergers
Mahindra and Israeli firm REE Automotive Sign an MoU To Co-Develop Electric Commercial Vehicles:
- Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) has inked a pact with Tel Aviv-based REE Automotive to explore the production of electric commercial vehicles. The aim is to explore the development and manufacturing of electric commercial vehicles for global markets.
Greenko Signs MoU With NTPC to Explore Renewable Energy and Storage Solutions:
- Energy solutions provider Greenko Energies has announced that it has entered into an agreement with NTPC to explore energy storage and Renewable Energy (RE) power supply solutions.
- The company has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with NTPC Vidyut Vyapar Nigam, a wholly-owned subsidiary of NTPC.
CCI approves Carlyle Group’s stake acquisition in Airtel’s data centre biz:
- Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved acquisition of compulsorily convertible preference shares and equity shares in Airtel’s data centre business, Nxtra Data, by Carlyle Group’s Comfort Investments II.
NeGD signs MoU with CSC E-Governance Services India Limited:
- National e-Governance Division (NeGD), Ministry of Electronics & IT (MeitY) has partnered with CSC (Common Service Center) e-Governance Services India Limited. The partnership aims to enable delivery of UMANG services to citizens through the network of 75 lakh CSCs.
ISRO Signs MoU with VSSUT to Set up First of Its Kind Innovation cum Incubation Centre to Promote Space Research:
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology (VSSUT), Burla, Odisha, a technical institute, to set up the first of its kind innovation cum incubation centre, VSSUT Space Innovation Centre(VSSSIC) in India to promote space research.
Vinay Tonse appointed as MD and CEO of SBI Mutual Fund:
- Vinay Tonse has been appointed as the managing director and chief executive officer of SBI Mutual Fund (MF). He has replaced Ashwani Bhatia, who has been now appointed as the managing director (MD) of State Bank of India.
DRDO sets up 5-member committee to overhaul its labs to meet future defence needs:
- DRDO constituted a 5-member committee, headed by the IIT-Delhi director professor Ramagopal Rao to overhaul its 52 laboratories for current and future defence and battlefield needs. This is the 2nd attempt being made in recent years to overhaul the DRDO.
Former IOC Chairman Sanjiv Singh joins Reliance as Group President:
- Former Indian Oil Corp (IOC) chairman Sanjiv Singh has joined Reliance Industries Ltd as Group President for billionaire Mukesh Ambani-run firm’s oil-to-chemicals business. He will lead and drive the Group manufacturing services (GMS)
Books and Authors
A Book titled ‘Cricket Drona’ on Renowned Coach Vasudev Jagannath Paranjpe to be Released:
- ‘Cricket Drona’ a book on one of India’s most renowned cricket coaches, Vasudev Jagannath Paranjpe will be released on September 2, 2020. The Book is written by Vasudev Paranjpe’s son and current national selector Jatin Paranjpe along with Cricket Journalist Anand Vasu and published by Penguin.s
Film academician Father Gaston Roberge passes away at 85:
- Film academician Father Gaston Roberge who mentored thousands of young filmmakers in his three-decade-long career died. He was 85.He started television programmes for UGC for Doordarshan National TV channel which is still running.
Seven-time National Table Tennis Champion Poulomi Ghatak announces retirement, to focus on coaching:
- Veteran Indian table tennis player from West Bengal, Poulomi Ghatak, has announced her retirement from the game to shift focus on coaching career. The Kolkata-born athlete is a seven-time national champion, winning between 1998 and 2016.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.