DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Aug 5, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Aug 5 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Union Tourism Minister Prahlad Singh Patel virtually inaugurates Mizoram’s first golf resort:
- Union Tourism Minister Prahlad Singh Patel virtually inaugurated Mizoram’s first golf course and resort at Thenzawl in Serchhip district, about 90 km from Aizawl.
- The Project was sanctioned under the Integrated Development of New Eco Tourism under Swadesh Darshan– North East Circuit at Thenzawl & South Zote, District Serchhip and Reiek, Mizoram with a sanctioned amount of 92.25 Crores.
- Chief Minister:Zoramthanga
- Governor:PS Sreedharan Pillai
Defence Ministry signs MoU with IIT-Kanpur, DARPG for AI-based public grievance redressal:
- Defence Ministry said it signed a tripartite MOU with the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur and the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG) to develop artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques to conduct predictive analysis of public grievances.
Unique COVID prevention kiosk “UV Baggage Bath” inaugurated at Bengaluru railway station:
- A unique kiosk named “UV Baggage Bath” was inaugurated at the Bangalore railway station, South Western Railway, by the Senior Divisional Commercial Manager, Bengaluru Division, AN Krishna Reddy and Additional Divisional Railway Manager (Admin), Bengaluru Division, Kalyani Sethuraman.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: B. S. Yeddyurappa
- Governor: VajubhaiVala
Uttar Pradesh government to set up MSME industrial parks:
- Uttar Pradesh government will set up industrial parks for Micro, Small And Medium Enterprises (MSME) in six of its most industrialized districts, including Varanasi and Kanpur, and has invited proposals from consultants for it.
- The state government has also started work on a detailed project report (DPR) for the proposed 601km-long Ganga Expressway between Meerut and
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
UK to issue coin in honour of Mahatma Gandhi to mark 150th birth anniversary:
- Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak’s office confirmed that Mahatma Gandhi’s image on a coin is being considered as part of efforts to celebrate achievements of non-white individuals such as Indian-origin British spy Noor Inayat Khan and Jamaican British nurse Mary Seacole.
- Sunak has written to the Royal Mint Advisory Committee (RMAC) that recommends themes and designs of coins, supporting a campaign called “We Too Built Britain,” which seeks representation of non-white icons on British currency.
Banking and Economy:
Listed entities get 3 years to meet criteria of minimum 25% public shareholding:
- Government has notified changes in the Securities Contracts (Regulation) Rules, 1957, providing more time to listed entities to meet criteria of minimum public shareholding of 25 per cent.
- “In the Securities Contracts (Regulation) Rules, 1957, in rule 19A, in sub-rule (1), in the proviso, for the words ‘Two Years’ the words ‘Three Years’ shall be substituted”.
Canara Bank ties up with three insurers to provide Corona Kavach policies:
- Canara Bank said it has tied-up with three insurance companies to sell short-term Corona Kavach policy to cover COVID-19 related health expenses.
- The bank has tied up with New India Assurance Company Ltd, Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Co Ltd and HDFC ERGO Health Insurance as part of social commitment to indemnify the unprecedented expenses of common man.
National Bank of Bahrain Selects Infosys Finacle to Digitally Transform its Transaction Banking Business:
- National Bank of Bahrain (NBB) the Kingdom’s leading provider of retail and commercial banking services, and Infosys Finacle, part of EdgeVerve Systems, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Infosys announced the bank’s decision to adopt the Finacle Cash Management Suite to digitally transform its transaction banking business.
Alice G. Vaidyan appointed to the Board of Geojit Financial Services Ltd:
- Geojit Financial Services Ltd has announced the appointment of Alice G. Vaidyan as Independent Non- Executive Director to the Company’s Board of Directors. Ms Vaidyan started her career with New India Assurance Co. Ltd in 1983.
Science and Technology
IIT Madras Collaborates With Healthcare Start-Up On Patient Monitoring Solutions:
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT Madras) has collaborated with a healthcare startup “HELYXON” to develop a device and deploy it for remote monitoring of COVID-19 patients. The device monitors four critical parameters including temperature, oxygen saturation, respiratory rate and heart rate.
Books and Authors
Union Ministers Gajendra Singh Shekhawat and Smriti Irani launch the book ‘Swachh Bharat Kranti’:
- The book “The Swachh Bharat Revolution” edited by Parameswaran Iyer, Secretary of Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation has been translated into Hindi and published by as the Swachh Bharat Kranti.
- The book was officially launched by Union Minister of Jal Shakti, Gajendra Singh Shekhawat, and Union Minister of Textiles and Women & Child Development Smriti Irani in New Delhi.
Biography of India’s youngest Basketball captain “Vishesh: Code To Win” set to release:
- A new book on the inspirational story of Vishesh Bhriguvanshi, India’s youngest basketball team captain, will hit stands on August 29, the National Sports Day, announced publishing house Bluerose.It is written by sportswoman-turned-author Nirupama Yadav.
Theatre maestro Ebrahim Alkazi passes away:
- Considered the father of modern Indian theatre Ebrahim Alkazi the first Director of National School of Drama (NSD) passed away. He was 94. Also an art connoisseur, collector and gallery owner, he founded Art Heritage Gallery in New Delhi.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner John Hume Passed Away at 83:
- Nobel Peace Prize winner(1998) and prominent Northern Ireland politician John Hume passed away at 83 in a Londonderry nursing home due to a long period of illness. He was born on January 8, 1937 in Derry Northern Ireland(a part of the United Kingdom- UK).
Former Arunachal Pradesh Governor R.D. Pradhan passes away at 92:
- D. Pradhan, a veteran bureaucrat and former Governor of Arunachal Pradesh passed away in Mumbai. He was an IAS officer of the Maharashtra cadre who served in Gujarat, Maharashtra, at the Centre and global positions.
Legendary Spain and Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas announces retirement:
- Spain’s World Cup-winning goalkeeper Iker Casillas announced his retirement on Tuesday, after being sidelined for more than a year with a heart problem.
- Casillas, 39, also won the European Championship twice with his country in a trophy-laden career which included more than 700 games for Real Madrid.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.