DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Jul 12 & 13, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Jul 12 & 13 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
National Simplicity Day-July 12:
- National Simplicity Day is observed annually on 12 July to honour Henry David Thoreau who was an author, philosopher, historian, tax resister, abolitionist, development critic, surveyor, and leading transcendentalist.
Malala Day- July 12:
- United Nations declared July 12, which is Malala Yousafzai’s birthday, as Malala Day in honour of the young activist. She won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2014. The-then 17-year-old became the youngest recipient of the award.
India’s 2018 Tiger Census sets a new Guinness World Record:
- India’s 2018 tiger census has entered Guinness Book of World Record for being the largest camera trip wildlife survey, yet.
- The fourth edition of the tiger census, in 2018-19 was the ‘Most Comprehensive’ to date, in terms of both resource and data amassed. India now has an estimated 2967 tigers as per the latest census.
Indian Railways will be the largest Railway in world to have 100 per cent electrification by 2030:
- Railway Minister Piyush Goyal said that Indian Railways will be the largest Railway in the world to have 100% electrification replacing diesel. He expressed hope that it will be the world’s first Green Railways running on 100 per cent clean energy by 2030.
Jharkhand government signs MoU with HDFC Bank for digital payment solutions:
- Jharkhand government has signed a memorandum of understanding with private lender HDFC Bank to offer digital payment solutions to traffic violators. The bank will provide digital payment solutions to the transport department of Jharkhand.
- Capital: Ranchi
- Chief Minister: Hemant Soren
- Governor: Draupadi Murmu
- Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman– Deepak S. Parekh
- CEO: Aditya Puri.
- Tagline: “We understand your world”
Chhattisgarh organises India’s first e-Lok Adalat:
- Chhattisgarh is the first State-Level “e-Lok Adalat” of India. Under e-Lok Adalat, held in Chhattisgarh, virtual hearings were conducted through video conferencing.
- In the wake of pandemic, the High Court and Chhattisgarh State Legal Services Authority decided to organize e-Lok Adalat for resolving the pending cases.
- Capital: Raipur
- Chief Minister: Bhupesh Baghel
- Governor: AnusuiyaUikey
Odisha university innovates ultraviolet device for sanitization:
- Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology (VSSUT) in Odisha has come up with a robot-assisted device that uses short-wave ultraviolet rays for sanitisation.
- The contactless device- Ultra Violet Robot-Assisted Sanitiser (UVRAS)-can be an effective tool in the war against Covid-19.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Chief Minister:Naveen Patnaik
- Governor:Ganeshi Lal
US Navy welcomes first Black female Tactical Aircraft pilot:
- US Navy welcomed its first Black female Tactical Aircraft pilot. Madeline-Swegle had completed naval flight school and would later this month receive the flight officer insignia known as the “Wings of the Gold”.
India moves up a rank to become second-largest source of FDI for UK:
- India invested in 120 projects and created 5,429 new jobs in the UK to become the second-largest source of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) after the US in 2019, according to new UK government figures. It is followed by Germany, France, China and Hong Kong.
- Capital: London
- Currency: Pound Sterling.
- Prime Minister: Boris Johnson.
Gyanendro Ningombam replaces Mohd Mushtaque Ahmad as new Hockey India president:
- Hockey India has appointed Manipur’s Gyanendro Ningombam as its new officiating president after Mohd Mushtaque Ahmad stepped down from his post owing to his personal reasons and family commitments.
Lee Hsien Loong becomes Prime Minister of Singapore:
- Singapore PM Lee Hsien Loong secured a clear mandate with his ruling People’s Action Party (PAP) winning 83 of the 93 contested parliamentary seats in the general election held amidst pandemic with the Opposition gaining ground by winning a record 10 seats
- Capital: Singapore City
- Currency: Singapore Dollar
- President: Halimah Yacob
- Prime Minister: Lee Hsien Loong
- Deputy Prime Minister: Heng Swee Keat
Taiwan names senior diplomat Baushuan Ger as its new representative to India:
- Taipei Senior diplomat Baushuan Ger has been named as new envoy to India by Taiwan. Baushuan’s appointment was part of personnel changes announced by Taiwan’s foreign ministry. Tien, who served as Taiwan’s representative to India for more than seven years.
- Capital: Taipei
- Currency: Taiwan dollar
- President: Tsai Ing-wen
Awards and Recognitions
Tamil Nadu CM EPS honoured with Paul Harris Fellow recognition:
- The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International having its headquarters at Chicago has honoured Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami with Paul Harris Fellow recognition. It is accorded to honour people who render efficient services to people.
- Chief Minister:Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Governor:Banwarilal Purohit.
Arunachal Pradesh filmmaker bags Dada Saheb Phalke Award for documentary on honey hunting:
- Honey Hunting, an integral part of Arunachal Pradesh’s Shertukpen Community has been slowly slithering away. To keep the tradition alive Kezang D Thongdok, a filmmaker documented the process of honey hunting and was awarded the Dada Saheb Phalke Award.
- He was awarded for the documentary named ‘Chi Lupo’.
NTPC Limited wins prestigious CII-ITC Sustainability Award 2019:
- National Thermal Power Corporation, a Central PSU under Ministry of Power won the prestigious CII-ITC Sustainability Award 2019 under Outstanding Accomplishment in Corporate Excellence Category. It was also commended for its significant achievement in CSR.
Development Marketplace Award 2020 to IHD India:
- India’s non-profit institution, Institute for Human Development (IHD) has been honored with Development Marketplace Award 2020 by World Bank Group and Sexual Violence Research Initiative (SVRI).
- IHD received this award for the project alcohol, intimate partner violence and household economy: assessments of liquor ban in Bihar state.
Books and Authors:
Ruskin Bond’s 70-yr literary journey captured in ‘A Song of India’:
- The book titled ‘A Song of India’ authored by Ruskin Bond to be released on July 20, 2020, which will mark the 70th year of the author’s literary career.
- The book portrays his unknown life before he became a successful author. It is published by Puffin Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House India.
Renowned cartoonist Avad Bin Hassan Jami passes away:
- Renowned Gujarati cartoonist, Avad Bin Hassan Jami passed away. He was popularly known as “Jami”. His cartoons were published in Gujarati magazine “Abhiyan” for last over two decades. He had also worked in Gujarati newspaper Phhulchhab as a cartoonist.
Veteran Gujarati journalist, columnist, writer Nagindas Sanghvi passes away at 100:
- Veteran Gujarati journalist, columnist, writer and political analyst Nagindas Sanghvi passed away in Surat. Mr Sangvi was conferred Padma Shri award in the year 2019. He had written many books on Mahatma Gandhi, Gujarat and other subjects.
England’s 1966 World Cup Winner Jack Charlton Dies At 85:
- Jack Charlton, a member of the England 1966 World Cup-winning side and who went on to become a cult hero in Ireland, has died aged 85. He also enjoyed a fairy tale spell as manager of the Republic of Ireland guiding them to several major finals.
Sarbjit actor Ranjan Sehgal passes away:
- Actor Ranjan Sehgal, who predominantly featured in Punjabi TV shows, has passed away due to multiple organ failure. He was 36. The actor, who was also seen on episodes of Hindi crime shows like Crime Patrol and Saavdhan India.
Ben Stokes becomes 2nd-fastest all-rounder to score 4000 runs, take 150 wickets:
- England’s stand-in skipper Ben Stokes became the second-fastest all-rounder to reach the Test doubles of 4000 runs and 150 wickets. He achieved the feat during the third day of the first Test match between England and West Indies at the Ageas Bowl.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.