DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : August 28, 2019
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (August 28 , 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Check Daily CA from Race Youtube Channel
HRD Ministry launches National Digital Library of India
- Human Resource Development Ministry under its National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology, NMEICT has launched the National Digital Library of India project to develop a framework of virtual repository of learning resources with a single-window search facility.
- As of now, there are more than 3 crore digital resources available through the National Digital Library.
- The contents cover almost all major domains of education and all major levels of learners.
- More than 50 lakh students have registered themselves in the National Digital Library with about 20 lakh active users.
- National Digital Library has been integrated with UMANG App and users can register through www.ndl.gov.in or through the mobile app.
Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium to be renamed as Arun Jaitley Stadium
- The Delhi and District Cricket Association (DDCA) decided to rechristen Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium as Arun Jaitley Stadium in the memory of its former president who passed away.
- The renaming will take place on September 12 at a function where a stand at the Kotla will be named after India captain Virat Kohli as announced earlier.
- Jaitley, during his tenure at DDCA, is credited with renovating the stadium into a modern facility, increasing its capacity to accommodate more fans besides constructing world class dressing rooms.
- DDCA president – Rajat Sharma
Smriti Irani lays foundation stone of Integrated Textiles Tourism Complex in Meghalaya
- In Meghalaya, the Union Minister of Textiles Smriti Zubin Irani laid the foundation stone of the Integrated Textiles Tourism Complex at Nongpoh, Ri Bhoi district in the presence of Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma.
- The Central Government is committed to supplement the endeavours of the State Government for development in the sector of textiles; women and child development.
- Meghalaya Chief Minister appreciated the efforts put in by the Government of India and the commitment of the Union Minister to work for the welfare of the people of Meghalaya.
- The Union Minister before laying the foundation stone earlier also interacted with the children and Anganwadi Workers at the Umdihar 1, Ri Bhoi district.
Indian Army establishes 45 Army Goodwill schools in J&K
- In Jammu and Kashmir, Army, apart from safeguarding the borders, is also taking several initiatives for the betterment of the people.
- As a part of this goodwill initiative, the Indian Army has established 45 Army Goodwill schools in J&K wherein over 14 thousand students are studying at present.
- In these Army Goodwill Schools, children belonging to low-income group families are given admission for pursuing their studies free of cost.
- The popularity of Army Goodwill Schools can be measured by the fact that there is a growing demand by the local population for opening more such schools in their respective areas.
- Besides imparting quality education, the Goodwill Schools are also providing employment to qualified youth of the State.
- As on date nearly 1000 teaching and non-teaching staff are employed in various Goodwill schools in Jammu and Kashmir.
IoT India Congress 2019, India’s largest IoT platform, kicks off its 4th edition in Bengaluru
- The fourth edition of India’s largest conclave on IoT, the “IoT India Congress, 2019” was set in motion at the Hotel Lalit Ashok in Bengaluru.
- The two-day event is India’s largest Platform of platforms for the Internet of Things.
- This year’s focus is on mainstreaming Internet of Things (IoT) and its implementations in real life problems. The Congress was inaugurated via the mobile app.
- This was followed by the commencement of the dedicated tracks on IoT in Energy, Healthcare, Defence, Standards and Regulatory, Retail, Digital Communication, Skills and Development, Agriculture, Manufacturing and Smart Cities.
- Shri Ajay Prakash Sawhney, Secretary, MeitY, Government of India
- Dr. Rishi Bhatnagar, Chairman of the IET India IoT Panel.
Intel launches first artificial intelligence chip Springhill
- Intel Corp launched its latest processor, its first using artificial intelligence (AI), designed for large computing centres.
- The chip, developed at its development facility in Haifa, Israel, is known as Nervana NNP-I or Springhill and is based on a 10 nanometre Ice Lake processor that will allow it to cope with high workloads using minimal amounts of energy.
- Intel’s first AI product comes after it had invested more than $120 million in three AI start-ups in Israel.
- The new hardware chip will help Intel Xeon processors in large companies as the need for complicated computations in the AI field increases.
BANKING & FINANCE
Govt extends last date for furnishing of annual return in form GSTR-9
- The Government has extended the last date for furnishing of annual return in form GSTR-9 or form GSTR-9A and reconciliation statement in form GSTR-9C for the financial year 2017-18 to 30th November 2019.
- Previously, the last date for filing return was 31st of this month.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Amazon India launches employment programme for ex-servicemen and their spouses
- Amazon India the launch of a Military Veterans Employment programme, it will create hundreds of opportunities for military veterans and their spouses across Amazon India’s Fulfilment Centres, Sort Centres and Delivery Centres in the country.
- Amazon India is partnering with the Office of the Director General of Resettlement (DGR) and the Army Welfare Placement Organisation (AWPO) to create continued work opportunities for military families across the country.
- With two pilot programmes underway, Amazon is confident of scaling the Military Veterans Employment Programme, and extending its engagement to hire remarkable talent from the Army, Air Force and Navy and Police families in the future.
TN: Education Dept launches exclusive 24-hour tv channel for students
- The Education Department in Tamil Nadu has launched an exclusive 24-hour television channel for the school students.
- It was launched by the state Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswamy at a function in Chennai.
- Interviews and motivational programmes on joining civil services, defence forces and banks would be aired by the television as a form of career guidance.
- Hi-fi laboratories are being established in all Government High Schools and Higher Secondary Schools in the state at a cost of 520 crore rupees.
- “Smart Classes” are being installed in all Government-run primary and middle schools as well.
TN CM flags off first electric bus in Chennai
- The first electric bus in Chennai has been flagged off by the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswamy.
- It is being operated on a trial basis from the Central Railway Station to Tiruvanmiyur, four trips a day.
- The fully air-conditioned bus has 32 seats. It has inbuilt features like GPS and fire detection and suppression system. It can be monitored remotely by transport officials.
- The bus has been designed by keeping in view the Indian road conditions and has been certified by Pune-based Automotive Research Association of India.
- The state government has planned to deploy two thousand electric buses throughout the state in several phases.
- The Union government has given its nod for buying 525 electric buses for the state in the first phase.
- The German financial institution KfW has agreed to offer the loan for the purchase of a hundred such buses, out of which Chennai would get 80 and Coimbatore and Madurai ten each.
AGREEMENTS & MOU
Indian Bank, Tata AIG General Insurance tie up
- Indian Bank has joined hands with Tata AIG General Insurance to offer the latter’s diverse range of general insurance policies benefiting the bank’s customers by way of protection, wealth creation and savings.
- Tata AIG General Insurance will work with the bank for sales training, product support and ensuring smooth operational processes.
- The agreement was signed in the presence of Padmaja Chunduru, MD and CEO, Indian Bank and Saurabh Maini, senior vice president & business head – Key partnership Group, Tata AIG General Insurance.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
IPS officer Aparna Kumar to receive Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award 2018
- Aparna Kumar, a 2002 batch Uttar Pradesh Cadre IPS officer, who is currently posted as DIG, Indo Tibetan Police Force at Dehradun, has been selected for the Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award 2018.
- This is the highest National award at par with Arjuna award for Adventure sports in India.
- Aparna is the first IPS officer to be bestowed with this prestigious award. President Ram Nath Kovind will give her the award on August 29, 2019 on occasion of National Sports day at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Besides Aparna, five more personalities are going to receive the award this year.
- The other personalities are late Dipankar Ghosh, Manikandan K, Prabhat Raju Koli, RameshwerJangra and Wangchuk Sherpa.
India bags four medals in Worldskills Kazan competition
- The Indian team created history by winning one gold, one silver and two bronze medals at the 45th WorldSkills Kazan 2019 competition, in Russia.
- It has been the country’s best performance since it first participated at the event in 2007.
- S Aswatha Narayana won the gold medal in water technology. Pranav Nutalapati won silver medal in web technologies.
- Sanjoy Pramanik and Shweta Ratanpura won one bronze medal each in Jewellery and graphic design technology.
Sports Minister gives Rs 1.82 cr to medallists of Para-Badminton World Championship
- Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju has handed over 1.82 crore rupees to the medallists of the Para-Badminton World Championship, amending the policy for Para-athletes to make them eligible for more cash awards.
- As per the amended guidelines, medal winners in world events and world championships, organised by International Paralympic Committee, International Sports Federation and recognised by International Olympic Committee, will be eligible for cash awards from the government.
- The first set of athletes who received their cash awards under the changed guidelines are Para-badminton players.
- They have just won 12 medals at the recently-concluded World Championships.
- While the gold medal winners took home 20 lakh rupees, the silver medallists were given 14 lakhs and bronze winners 8 lakhs each.
- Winners in the doubles events won 15 lakh rupees each for gold, 10.5 lakh each for silver and six lakhs for bronze.
Kanchan Chaudhary Bhattacharya, India’s first woman DGP, passes away
Kanchan Chaudhary Bhattacharya, India’s first woman Director General of Police (DGP), passed away following an illness in Mumbai.
- Bhattacharya, a 1973 batch officer, made history in 2004 when she was appointed as the DGP of Uttarakhand, thus becoming the first woman in the country to hold such position.
- Bhattacharya was also the second woman IPS officer in the country, the first being Kiran Bedi. She relinquished her duties on October 31, 2007.
- She was presented a ceremonial guard of honour by the Uttarakhand police at her farewell parade.
- After her retirement, she took a plunge into politics and unsuccessfully contested from Haridwar constituency in the 2014 Lok Sabha polls on an Aam Aadmi Party ticket.
Attend Current Affairs Quiz for the Month of August- 2019 from the link that is provided below.
Learn the Other Day Current Affairs from bankersdaily Team from the link that is provided below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
#1 TRENDING VIDEO in Race YOUTUBE CHANNEL