Daily Current Affairs: December 12 & 13, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (December 12 & 13, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Also, Don’t forget to attend the Daily Current Affairs Quiz – December 12 & 13, 2020, now @ our Bankersdaily Tests.
International Universal Health Coverage Day- December 12:
- The International Universal Health Coverage Day is celebrated annually on December 12. The day is a United Nations’ recognized international day to provide quality and affordable health care to every person across the globe. The United Nations proclaimed the day on December 12, 2017.
- Theme: “Health for All: Protect Everyone”
International Day of Neutrality: December 12:
- The International Day of Neutrality is observed annually on December 12. The day is aims to enhance public awareness of the value of neutrality in international relations. It was declared by a UN General Assembly resolution adopted in February 2017 and first observed on December 12, 2017.
Lakshadweep Becomes Country’s First Union Territory to be declared 100% Organic:
- The Ministry of Agriculture had declared Lakshadweep as India’s first Union Territory to become 100 Percentage After Sikkim, Lakshadweep becomes the first Union Territory to be 100% organic as all farming is carried out without synthetic fertilisers and pesticides, providing access for making agriculture a more environment-friendly activity.
- Capital: Kavaratti.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi address FICCI’s 93rd Annual General Meeting and inaugurates FICCI Annual Expo 2020:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi delivered the inaugural address at FICCI’s 93rd Annual General Meeting and Annual Convention. The event was organised by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI). The theme for the FICCI 93rd AGM is ‘Inspired India’.
Governor of Maharashtra Bhagat Singh Koshyari inaugurates 30th Annual Global Conclave of IISSM:
- Maharashtra Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari inaugurated the 30th Annual Global Conclave of the International Institute of Security and Safety Management (IISSM) virtually from Raj Bhavan in Mumbai.
- This 2-day conclave theme is “COVID-19 – From Survival to Revival: Emerging Paradigms in Security and Safety Services”.
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray.
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari.
ADB launches USD 9 billion Covid-19 vaccine initiative for Asia-Pacific Vaccine Access Facility (APVAX) members:
- Manila Based Asian Development Bank has launched an initiative that will offer support to Asia Pacific Vaccine Access Facility (APVAX)developing member economies to procure and deliver Covid-19 vaccines.
- APVAX will offer “Rapid and Equitable Support” to its developing members as they procure and deliver effective and safe coronavirus vaccines.
Asian Development Bank (ADB):
- Founded: 19 December 1966
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines.
- President: Masatsugu Asakawa.
- Chief Economist: Yasuyuki Sawada
- Membership: 68 countries.
India and Uzbekistan inks 9 Agreements to strengthen strategic partnership:
- Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi, and Uzbekistan President Shavkat Mirziyoyev co-chaired a Virtual Summit between India and Uzbekistan.
- Indian Government also approved a US $448 million Line of Credit for four developmental projects in Uzbekistan in road construction, sewerage treatment, and information technology.
5th India- Myanmar bilateral meeting on Drug Control Cooperation held virtually:
- The 5th India- Myanmar Bilateral Meeting on Drug Control Cooperation between the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), India and the Central Committee on Drug Abuse Control, Myanmar was held virtually.
- The Indian delegation was led by the Director-General Narcotics Control Bureau, Shri Rakesh Asthana. The Myanmar delegation was led by Brig. Gen. Win Naing. The Commander of the Drug Enforcement Division (DED) cum Joint Secretary of the Central Committee for Drug Abuse Control.
- President: Win Myint.
- State Counsellor: Aung San Suu Kyi.
- Capital: Naypyitaw.
- Currency: Burmese Kyat.
MoRTH inks MoU with Austria on technology cooperation in Road Infrastructure sector:
- The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) inked an MoU with the Federal Ministry of Climate Action, Energy, Environment, Mobility, Innovation, and Technology of the Republic of Austria on Technology Cooperation in the Road Infrastructure Sector.
- The MoU was signed by Additional Secretary of MoRTH C. Gupta, and the Ambassador of Austria Brigitte Öppinger-Walchshofer.
- Capital: Vienna
- President: Alexander Van der Bellen
- Chancellor: Sebastian Kurz.
Union Minister Harsh Vardhan Participated in 17th International Inter-Ministerial Conference on South-South Cooperation in Population and Development:
- 17th International Inter-Ministerial Conference on South-South Cooperation in Population and Development entitled “Nairobi Commitments and the 2030 Agenda: Taking stock and looking ahead in post-COVID-19 crisis.”
- This conference is jointly sponsored by Partners in Population and Development (PPD), the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), and the National Health Commission of China (as Chair of PPD).
Banking and Economy
Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) launches e-agricultural spot market platform “BEAM”:
- India’s First and Largest Securities market, Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) has launched an electronic spot platform for agricultural commodities BEAM (BSE E-Agricultural Markets Ltd.) through its subsidiary BSE Investments.
- The platform functions as a national level, institutionalised, electronic, transparent commodity spot trading platform in line with the Prime Minister’s vision to create a “Single Market.”
Reserve Bank of India released a Draft Circular on Declaration of Dividend by Non-Banking Financial Company:
- The Reserve Bank of India had released a draft circular on the Declaration of Dividend by NBFCs. The RBI has proposed that NBFCs should have at least 15% Capital to Risk (Weighted) Assets Ratio (CRAR) and NPA ratio should be less than 6% for the last 3 years, including the accounting year for which it proposes to declare a dividend.
- RBI released the “Draft Circular on Declaration of Dividend by NBFCs” to ensure greater transparency and uniformity in practice.
Acquisitions and Mergers
National Skill Development Corporation joins hands with BYJU’s to Support Skilling of Teachers and Trainers:
- National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) has joined hands with major ed-tech company BYJU’s to support the teacher training and upskilling as part of the Skill India Mission.
- The main aim is to empower teachers and trainers with skills and digital tools to make learning very effective, engaging, and personalised for children and youth.
National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC):
- Headquarters location: New Delhi
- CEO: Manish Kumar
UNIDO ties up with India Energy Storage Alliance to boost energy storage innovations in India:
- The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and India Energy Storage Alliance (IESA) and have joined hands to promote innovations in energy storage in India.
- The Partnership was done on the 4th round of innovation challenge by UNIDO’s Facility of Low Carbon Technology Deployment (FLCTD) to support and encourage new Indian energy storage and e-mobility space.
Science and Technology
BSNL Partners with Skylo to Launch World’s First Satellite-Based IoT Network in India:
- Skylotech India has partnered with Bharat Sanchar Nigam, a global machine connectivity solutions company. The satellite is based on the Internet of Things (IoT) device service that can be used across India where mobile towers are not present, including the seas within the country’s jurisdiction.
- The device was developed by Skylo and will connect with BSNLs satellite- ground infrastructure to provide PAN-India coverage, including Indian seas.
Malayan Giant Squirrel could decline by 90% in India by 2050: Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) Survey:
- According to a recent survey of Zoological Survey of India projected that numbers of the Malayan Giant Squirrel (Ratufa bicolour) could decline by 90% in India by 2050. The destruction of its habitat could restrict the squirrel to only southern Sikkim and North Bengal by 2050.
- By 2050, the favorable zone could shrink to 94% of the area the species was meant to inhabit. The Malayan Giant Squirrel is one of the world’s largest squirrel species. It has a dark upper body, pale underparts, and a long, bushy tail.
Awards and Recognitions
Carolina Araujo of Brazil Becomes First Non-Indian To Win Ramanujan Prize for Young Mathematicians:
- The Ramanujan Prize for Young Mathematicians 2020 has been awarded to Carolina Araujo for her outstanding work in algebraic geometry in a virtual ceremony. She is the first non-Indian women mathematician to receive this prize.
- Araujo is a Mathematician from the Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics (IMPA), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. She is also the Vice President of the Committee for Women in Mathematics at the International Mathematical Union.
Ashraf Patel wins the Social Entrepreneur of the Year (SEOY) Award India 2020:
- The founder member and Board member of Pravah and ComMutiny – The Youth Collective (CYC), Ashraf Patel, has been awarded the Social Entrepreneur of the Year (SEOY) Award – India 2020.
- Union Minister of Women & Child Development & Textiles, Smriti Zubin Irani presented the award. The 11th edition of the annual award was instituted by the Schwab Foundation and Jubilant Bhartia Foundation in 2010.
Kamala Harris and Joe Biden jointly named Time’s ‘Person of the Year’ 2020:
- US President Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris have been jointly named Time magazine’s “Person of the Year 2020 “.
- Time magazine has named the Korean pop group BTS as its Entertainer of the Year, and basketball star LeBron James as Athlete of the Year. Zoom founder Eric Yuan was aptly named Businessperson of The Year 2020.
Former Indian football Player, Dharmalingam Ethiraj passed away at 87
- Former Indian footballer Dharmalingam Ethiraj passed away. He was one of the senior members of India’s golden generation that won the football crown at the 1962 Jakarta Asian Games. In his honor, Madras Engineering Group (MEG) named their stadium after him.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of December 12 & 13, 2020, now from the link given below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.