DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: DECEMBER 14, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: DECEMBER 14, 2018
World’s first floating nuclear plant operational in Russia:
- Russian state-run atomic energy corporation Rosatom announced that Akademik Lomonosov, the world’s first “floating” nuclear power plant (FNPP) for installation in remote areas, has been started and brought to 10 percent of its capacity.
- They are designed to maintain both uninterruptible power and plentiful desalinated water supply in remote areas.
Static : Russia
Currency: Russian ruble.
39th Gulf Cooperation Council summit ends in Riyadh :
- The 39th Gulf Cooperation Council Summit was inaugurated by the King Salman of Saudi Arabia in Riyadh.The GCC comprises Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
- It was announced at the conclusion of the summit that the 40th Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) summit will be held in the United Arab Emirates.
- Although the 39th summit was held in Riyadh upon a request from Oman, Oman will be the president for the next 12 months.
India, Russia mark 18th IRIGC-MTC meeting :
- India’s Minister of Defense Nirmala Sitharaman met with Russian Federation General Sergei Shoigu marking the 18th meeting of the India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Military Technical Cooperation (IRIGC-MTC).
- In the framework of the bilateral Special and Privileged Strategic Partnership, the IRIGC-MTC meeting discussed a wide range of issues relating to defense equipment, industry and technological engagement between India and Russia as well as after sales support/upgradation of military equipment of Russian origin.
- India and Russia agreed to extend bilateral cooperation on defence joint-venture (JV) manufacturing projects
Nepal bans Indian currency notes above Rs 100:
- The Nepal government has decided to ban Indian currency above Rs 100, according to a report published in Kathmandu.
- According to the report, the government has asked Nepal citizens to refrain from keeping new Indian note of Rs 2,000, Rs 500 and Rs 200 denominations.
- The government has asked the people to refrain from keeping or carrying Indian bank notes higher than Rs 100 denomination as it has not legalised the higher denomination notes
Irish parliament passes bill to legalise abortion :
- Ireland’s parliament has passed a landmark legislation to make abortion legal for the first time in the Catholic-majority country with 66.4% voting in favour of new legislation to allow for the termination of pregnancies.
- The new development has come following a rising number of distressing stories about women unable to get an abortion in Ireland.
India, Saudi Arabia Sign Bilateral Annual Haj Agreement For 2019 :
- India and Saudi Arabia signed the 2019 Bilateral Annual Haj Agreement.Union Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi and Saudi Arabia’s Haj and Umrah Minister Mohammad Saleh bin Taher Benten were present at the event.
- The agreement is a part of strengthened bilateral relations of the two countries. Both India and Saudi Arabia share strong cultural, historical, economic and political relations.
- The Saudi government has always played an active role in ensuring the safety and comfort of Indian Haj pilgrims and that has strengthened bilateral relations.
Static : Saudi Arabia
Currency: Saudi riyal.
Uttar Pradesh’s Startup HelpUsGreen honoured by UN:
- Uttar Pradesh based startup HelpUsGreen has been honored by UN for its works to clean River Ganga by recycling tonnes of floral waste.
- UN presented the award to the 14 other countries along with India at the Nations Climate Action award ceremony during the UN Climate Change Conference in Katowic.
EU parliament approves ‘world’s largest’ free trade deal with Japan:
- The European Parliament approved an accord with Japan that has been dubbed the world’s biggest trade deal, covering economies that represent a third of global GDP.
- The agreement has been celebrated as a victory for Europe as a free trade champion in the face of U.S. President Donald Trump’s protectionism and the U.K.’s decision to leave the EU.
- EU-Japan Economic Partnership Agreement will remove duties on almost all agricultural and industrial products as well as open up the service sector and procurement.
- It also moves to eliminate non-tariff barriers to trade. The deal will create an open trading zone covering 635 million people and almost one-third of the world’s total GDP.
AWARDS & HONOURS
Jamal Khashoggi along with four journalists recieved the Time’s ‘Person of the Year’ 2018:
- Saudi Arabian journalist Jamal Khashoggi was named Time magazine’s ‘Person of the Year’ along with several other journalists.
- Apart from Khashoggi, the honour was also given to three other journalists – two Reuters reporters, Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo.
- The Capital Gazette newspaper of Annapolis, Maryland, where five staff members were gunned down in a newsroom shooting earlier this year was also honoured.
Yes Bank set to name Brahm Dutt as chairman:
- Yes Bank Ltd is likely to name independent director Brahm Dutt as the bank’s non-executive interim chairman after former finance secretary Ashok Chawla resigned from the position last month.
- Brahm Dutt is a former bureaucrat and is one of the oldest members of Yes Bank’s board.
‘CID’ maker Brijendra Pal Singh appointed as new FTII chairman:
- Producer-director Brijendra Pal Singh was appointed as the new president of the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) and chairman of the institute’s governing council by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- He succeeds veteran actor Anupam Kher, who had stepped down stepped down as the chairman in October citing “internation commitments”.
- Singh, best known as the producer-director of popular TV series CID, is currently vice-chairman of the FTII governing council.
Ashok Gehlot To Be Rajasthan Chief Minister:
- Two-time chief minister Ashok Gehlot will be chief minister of Rajasthan,the decision was taken after consultation with the various leaders and legislators.
- Pilot will be the deputy CM of Rajasthan and will also continue as the state Congress chief.
Are you ready to attend the CURRENT AFFAIRS QUIZ of December 11, 2018? Click the Below to Check the Daily Current Quiz: December 11, 2018.
Aspirants can check the Whole planner of IBPS CLERK Prelims Exam 2018 from the below given link.