Daily Current Affairs: December 18, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (December 18, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Migrants Day – December 18:
- The International Migrants Day is observed annually on 18 December. According to the UN, migration is a global phenomenon driven by multiple forces, including aspirations for dignity, safety, and peace. The day was adopted by the United Nations (UN) on 18 December 1990.
- Theme: “Reimagining Human Mobility”
United Nations Arabic Language Day – December 18:
- United Nations Arabic Language day is observed on December 18. The day was established by the United Nation Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 2010 to celebrate multilingualism and cultural diversity as well as to promote equal use of all six of its official languages throughout the organization.
Minorities Rights Day- December 18:
- The Minorities Rights Day is observed in India every year on December 18. The day is important as it helps us understand the issues the minorities face in India and create awareness about their rights. The United Nations promulgated the day on 18 December 1992, to strengthen the rights of the minorities.
Defence Ministry approves the acquisition of military hardware worth Rs 28,000 crores:
- The Defence Ministry has given its nod for the acquisition of weapon systems worth Rs 28,000 crores, including an indigenous programme to develop a large Airborne Early Warning and Control System (AWACS) and next-generation offshore patrol vessels.
- This is the first meeting of the DAC under the new regime of Defence Acquisition Procedure 2020, and these are the first set of Acceptance of Necessity (AoNs) accorded, with the majority AoNs being accorded in the highest categorization of Buy Indian (IDDM).
Union MSME minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the 23rd Hunar Haat of indigenous master artisans in Rampur, Uttar Pradesh:
- The Union Minister for Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the 23rd Hunar Haat of indigenous master artisans in Rampur, Uttar Pradesh. It is a platform for products made by traditional artisans & craftsmen from all over India.
- The Union Minister of Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi stated that Hunar Haat had become an effective mission of the Government to provide backup to brilliance and encouragement to expertise.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park (Tiger Reserve)
- Zoological park: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan (Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden.
India contributes 1 million USD to WADA for scientific research for clean sport globally:
- India has pledged a sum of 1 million USD to the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) towards global scientific research budget to ensure an atmosphere of clean sport globally, which will allow WADA to develop innovative anti-doping testing and detection methods.
- India’s contribution of 1 million USD is the highest among the contributions made by other world governments, including China, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt.
Union Cabinet Approves MoU between India and the US for the exchange of information in the electricity sector:
- The Union Cabinet gave its nod to the agreement between India and the United States for the exchange of information in the electricity sector.
- The MoU is between the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC) of India and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) of the U.S.A for exchange of information and experience in areas of mutual interest to both in the electricity sectors.
Banking and Economy
IndusInd Bank launches its first metal credit card ‘PIONEER Heritage’ in partnership with Master Card:
- IndusInd Bank, in partnership with Mastercard, announced the launch of its first metal credit card ‘PIONEER Heritage’ for the bank’s ultra-high net worth segment of customers. Equipped with best-in-class features and privileges across an array of categories like travel, wellness, lifestyle among others, the all-new credit card has been specially curated to match the requirements of affluent Indian professionals and
Acquisitions and Mergers
WHO and IFRC sign MoU on emergency medical teams:
- The World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) launched the ‘Red Channel Agreement’ a new collaboration to strengthen the delivery of emergency medical and health services during humanitarian crises.
- The MoU was signed by WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus and IFRC Secretary-General Mr. Jagan Chapagain to cooperate on implementing the Emergency Medical Team (EMT)
Citibank And NCPA Partner to Offer Hindustani Music Scholarships to Young Musicians:
- The National Centre for the Performing Arts (NCPA) has consistently worked towards an array of initiatives to promote the growth of art and culture in India.
- Since 2009, the National Centre for the Performing Arts with Citibank has been offering scholarships to promising young students who seek advanced training in Hindustani music (vocal & instrumental).
FADA and ASDC join hands with Google India to bridge the digital skills gap in auto dealerships:
- The Federation of Automobile Dealers Associations (FADA) along with the Automotive Skills Development Council (ASDC) had tied up with Google India to bridge the digital skills gap in the country’s auto dealerships and build their capacity in this critical growth driver.
- The training programme will be conducted under Google India’s ‘Grow with Google’ The initiative will provide digital skill training to 20,000 auto dealerships & 1,00,000 auto dealers across the marketing and sales divisions. It will also train the entire ecosystem to monitor their efficiency.
Science and Technology
ISRO successfully launches India’s new communication satellite CMS-01 from Sriharikota onboard PSLV-C50:
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully launched its 42nd communication satellite (CMS-01) from the Second Launch Pad (SLP) of Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota. The workhorse rocket PSLV-C50 was used to carry the satellite in the intended orbit in space.
India Successfully Test-Fires Two Prithvi-2 Nuclear-Capable Ballistic Missiles Off Odisha Coast:
- India test-fired two Prithvi-2 nuclear-capable ballistic missiles from Integrated Test Range (ITR) in Odisha’s Balasore. The trials of the Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) developed surface-to-surface missiles were successful.
Bank of Baroda appoints Ian De Souza as a new Chief Financial Officer:
- Bank of Baroda has appointed Ian De Souza as the new Chief Financial Officer (CFO). He will replace Subrat Kumar. De Souza is a Chartered Accountant, ICWA, MMS (Finance) with 23 years of experience in the banking & financial services domain.
Awards and Recognitions
Indian entrepreneur Vidyut Mohan named as one of the ‘Young Champions of the Earth’ winners by the UN environment agency:
- 29-year-old Indian entrepreneur Vidyut Mohan is among the seven winners of the prestigious “Young Champions of the Earth” 2020 prize given by the UN environment agency to global change-makers using innovative ideas and ambitious action to help solve some of the world’s most pressing environmental challenges.
- He is the co-founder of “Takachar”, a social enterprise enabling farmers to prevent open burning of farm residues & earn extra income by converting them into value-added chemicals on-site.
Robert Lewandowski and Lucy Bronze won FIFA Player of the year awards:
- Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski was named men’s player of the year at FIFA’s ‘The Best’ award ceremony in Zurich. The 32-year-old Lewandowski, top scorer in Europe and winner of the Champions League with Bayern.
- England defender Lucy Bronze took the women’s award, seeing off the challenge of Wendie Renard and Pernille Harder. The Puskas Award for best goal went to Tottenham’s South Korean striker Son Heung-min.
- It is the first occasion for both Lewandowski and Bronze to win the award, with Lewandowski only the second player after Luka Modric in 2018 to break a 13-year Messi-Ronaldo
India ranked 111 out of 162 countries in Human Freedom Index 2020:
- India was ranked 111th out of 162 countries as per the recently released Human Freedom Index 2020, a worldwide ranking of civil, economic, and personal freedom. India ranked 94th on the index in 2019.
- New Zealand was ranked one in the index, followed by Switzerland and Hong Kong. China was ranked 129th, Bangladesh at 139th, and Pakistan at 140th among the Asian countries.
Senior BJP leader and former Gonda MP Satyadev Singh passed away at 75:
- Senior leader of Bharatiya Janata Party and former GondaP Satya Dev Singh has passed away. He contested from the Gonda Lok Sabha constituency on the ticket of Bharatiya Lok Dal for the first time in 1977. Later, he was elected to the Lok Sabha from the Balrampur parliamentary seat as Bharatiya Janata Party MP in 1991 and 1996.
Eminent businessman and philanthropist RN Shetty passed away at 92:
- RN Shetty, a well-known personality of Murudeshwar taluka and chairman of the RNS group, passed away. He founded R.N. Shetty and Company in 1961, venturing into the construction, infrastructure, hospitality & education sectors. He built tunnels for the railways, dams, bridges, canals, etc.
Mauritius badminton player Kate Foo Kune banned for two years in doping case:
- Four-time African badminton championship winner Kate Foo Kune was banned for two years in a doping case and will miss the Tokyo Olympics. Foo Kune was the flag bearer for Mauritius at the opening ceremony for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
Zimbabwe to host qualifiers of 2023 ODI World Cup to be held in India:
- Zimbabwe will host the qualifiers of the ODI World Cup 2023 between June 18 and July 9, according to a revised scheduled announced by the ICC due to the postponements caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- India, the hosts of the rescheduled ODI World Cup 2023, along with seven other top Super League teams will qualify directly for the tournament to be held in October-November.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of December 18, 2020, now from the link given below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.