Daily Current Affairs: December 5, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (December 5, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Volunteer Day for Economic and Social Development (First Saturday of December):
- International Volunteer Day for Economic and Social Development is celebrated on December 5. The day was designated by the United Nation in 1985.
- Theme: “Together we can through volunteering”
World Soil Day (First Saturday of December) December -5:
- World Soil Day is observed on December 5. In 2013, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations collectively supported and requested the officials of the UN Assembly to mark the day. The day is observed to raise awareness about healthy ecosystems and the importance of soil in human lives.
- Theme: “Keep soil alive, Protect soil biodiversity”
Phase 8 of Vande Bharat Mission extended till December 31:
- Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Anurag Srivastava stated that Phase VIII of Vande Bharat Mission has been extended till December 31, 2020.
- Under this extended phase called Phase 8 Plus, 897 international flights have been scheduled to operate from 15 countries with a capacity to repatriate an estimated 5 lakh people.
Venkaiah Naidu releases commemorative postage stamp in honour of late Prime Minister, Shri I K Gujral:
- The Vice President of India, M Venkaiah Naidu paid rich tributes to the late Prime Minister, Inder Kumar Gujral while releasing through virtual mode a commemorative Postage Stamp in his honor.
- The Vice President stated Shri Gujral was a learned man, soft-spoken, and a “Gentleman-Politician”. He was the 12th Prime Minister of India, served as the Prime Minister from April 1997-March 1998.
Indian and Russian navies conduct “PASSEX” Exercise in the eastern Indian Ocean Region:
- On the occasion of ‘Navy Day’, the Indian Navy began a two-day Passage Exercise (PASSEX) with Russian Federation Navy (RuFN) in the Eastern Indian Ocean Region (IOR) aimed at enhancing interoperability, improving understanding, and imbibing best practices between both the navies.
- Indian Navy is being represented by indigenously constructed guided-Missile Frigate Shivalik and anti-submarine Corvette Kadmatt along with integral helicopters. RuFN guided-missile cruiser Varyag, the large anti-submarine ship Admiral Panteleyev and medium ocean tanker Pechenga participated from the Russian side.
India extends anti-dumping duty on steel products from China and US up to January 31, 2021:
- India has extended anti-dumping duty on imports of cold-rolled flat products of stainless steel of width 600-1250 mm and above 1250 mm of non-bonafide usage, from China, Korea, European Union, South Africa, Taiwan, Thailand, and the US, till January 31, 2021.
- The extension had been announced by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC). The duty was first imposed in 2015 and was under review by the Directorate General of Trade Remedies (DGTR) since September 2020.
Banking and Economy:
RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 4%:
- Reserve Bank of India in its Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meet has kept the policy rates unchanged as under:
|Reverse Repo Rate:||3.35%|
|Marginal Standing Facility Rate (MSFR):||4.25%|
|Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR):||3%|
|Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR):||18.00%|
Acquisitions and Mergers:
Sequoia India partners with NITI Aayog WEP to promote women entrepreneurship:
- Sequoia Indias program “Sequoia Spark” for women entrepreneurs in India and Southeast Asia, and NITI Aayogs Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) are collaborating on a year-long partnership to promote women entrepreneurship in India.
- The Programme will mentor a group of women founders to equip them with domain knowledge and skills through mentorship sessions with investors and business leaders.
PayNearby Partners with NPCI and YES Bank to Launch “PayNearby shopping card” Powered by RuPay:
- Hyperlocal fintech startup PayNearby partnered with YES Bank and National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) to launch the “PayNearby shopping card”, enabling its retail partners to derive maximum benefits of digital commerce in the mass market category.
- The retailers can avail of services such as e-learning, e-commerce, online gaming, monthly recharges and utility payments, online music, and videos.
NABARD sign MoU with APEDA for agriculture development and Export Policy:
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) signed an MoU with Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) to work together to synergize the activities in the interest of agriculture and Allied Sectors for bringing better value to the stakeholders and Implementing Agriculture Export Policy (AEP).
- The MoU was virtually signed by APEDA’s Secretary Dr Sudhanshu NABARD’s Chief General Manager Nilay D Kapoor.
Rupifi Joins Hands with Axis Bank and Visa to Launch ‘Axis Bank Rupifi Business Credit Card’ for Small Businesses:
- Private sector lender Axis Bank has partnered with fintech lending platform Rupifi to offer a business credit card named Launch ‘Axis Bank Rupifi Business Credit Card’ powered by Visa.
- The average credit limit offered will be in the range of Rs 1 and 2 lakh per month and will be decided based on business data of the MSME’s transactions with the aggregator platforms, GMV (Gross Monthly Volume) of last six months, and overall revenue among other factors.
Joe Biden appoints Indian American Vivek Murthy as Surgeon General:
- US President-elect Joe Biden has selected his key Covid-19 advisor, Dr Vivek Murthy, as the next Surgeon General. The 43-year-old Indian American doctor is one of the three co-chairs of the Biden’s coronavirus Advisory Board.
- Joe Biden has selected another former Obama administration official, Jeff Zient, for senior roles to help fight COVID-19. Jerome Adams is the incumbent Surgeon General.
Dronacharya Awardee Kuldeep Handoo from J&K appointed PM’s ‘Fit India’ Movement Ambassador:
- Kuldeep Handoo, First Dronacharya Awardee from the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir has been appointed Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ‘Fit India’
- Handoo is Wushu Coach of Team India is serving as Inspector in Jammu and Kashmir Police Department.
Horlicks Protein Plus Ropes in Akshay Kumar as Brand Ambassador:
- Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL) has announced actor Akshay Kumar as their brand promoter for Horlicks Protein Plus, through a TVC. He will represent the brand and encourage urban Indian adults to fight the protein deficiency on a daily basis by making ‘Protein ka routine’ (make protein a routine).
Awards and Recognitions:
15-year-old Indian American Gitanjali Rao Becomes First-Ever TIME ‘Kid of The Year’:
- Fifteen-year-old Indian American Gitanjali Rao has become the first-ever ‘Kid of the Year’ by TIME for her contribution to using technology against issues such as contaminated drinking water, opioid addiction, and cyberbullying. The magazine chose the “Brilliant” teenager for her “Astonishing Work” in tackling social issues.
- She has created applications named ‘Kindly’ to help people, especially kids, fight opioid addiction, and cyberbullying.
Maharashtra School Teacher Ranjitsinh Disale becomes first Indian to win Global Teacher Prize 2020:
- Ranjitsinh Disale, a primary school teacher from India was on Thursday named the winner of the $1 million (Rs 7.4 crore) annual Global Teacher Prize 2020 in recognition of his efforts to promote girls’ education and trigger a Quick-Response (QR) coded textbook revolution in India.
- Rajitsinh made efforts and added QR codes to textbooks of primary classes to provide links to audio poems, video lectures, stories, and assignments.
- Global Teacher Prize is an annual prize founded by the Varkey Foundation in 2014 to recognize an exceptional teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to the profession.
‘Fagun Haway’ and ‘No Dorai’ wins Bangladesh best films award 2019:
- ‘Fagun Haway’ and ‘No Dorai’ wins Bangladesh’s best films award 2019 The Bangladesh Ministry of Information announced the National Film Awards for 2019. Films ‘No Dorai’ and ‘Fagun Haway’ jointly won the best film award.
- Taneem Rahman Anghshu who directed the film ‘No Dorai’ got the Best Director award. The awards this year have been given away in 26 categories. Emon Chowdhury got the Best Music Director award for the film ‘Maya- The Lost Mother’.
Books and Authors:
Vice President releases a book on Dr APJ Abdul Kalam titled “40 Years with Abdul Kalam- Untold Stories” Authored by Sivathanu Pillai:
- Vice President Venkaiah Naidu was releasing a book titled “40 Years with Abdul Kalam – Untold Stories” authored by scientist Sivathanu Pillai. The book is based on the life of the former President of India Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. The book is published by Pentagon Press LLP and the foreword was written by Pranab Mukherjee, former president of India.
Former Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre S Ramakrishnan passed away at 71:
- Padma Shri awardee S Ramakrishnan, Indian space scientist and former director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre died at Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. He also served as a director of Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre (LPSC) from June 2010 to December 2012.
- He had also served as a member of the International Council of Aerospace Scientists and Chairman of the Flight Readiness Review Committee on ISRO launches.
Lakshadweep Administrator Dineshwar Sharma passed away at 66:
- Lakshadweep Administrator Dineshwar Sharma, who earlier headed the Intelligence Bureau and was also the Interlocutor for Jammu and Kashmir, died in Chennai.
- The 66-year-old retired IPS officer of the Kerala cadre had been appointed administrator of the Lakshadweep Union Territory in October 2019.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of December 5, 2020, now from the link given below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.