Daily Current Affairs : October 3, 2020
Want to Become a Bank, Central / State Govt Officer in 2020?
Join the Most awarded Coaching Institute & Get your Dream Job
Now Prepare for Bank, SSC Exams from Home. Join Online Coure @ lowest fee
Lifetime validity Bank Exam Coaching | Bank PO / Clerk Coaching | Bank SO Exam Coaching | All-in-One SSC Exam Coaching | RRB Railway Exam Coaching | TNPSC Exam Coaching | KPSC Exam Coaching
Daily Current Affairs: October 3, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (October 3, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Also, Don’t forget to attend the Daily Current Affairs Quiz – October 3, 2020 now @ our Bankersdaily Tests.
SUBSCIRBE to Race Youtube Channel for CA QUIZ LIVE Sessions
Prime Minister Narendra Modi Inaugurates “VAIBHAV” 2020 Summit:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Vaishwik Bharatiya Vaigyanik (VAIBHAV) Summit, organised for the overseas and resident Indian Researchers and Academicians.
- It has been organised to celebrate Science and Innovation from India and the World.
- The global virtual summit is being organized from October 2 to October 31 with the aim of bringing Indian origin luminaries in academic institutes and Research and Development (R&D) organizations across the world and resident counterparts on a single platform.
Gajendra Singh Shekhawat virtually confers “Swachh Bharat Awards 2020” on 151st Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi:
- Union Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat virtually confers the Swachh Bharat 2020 Awards (Swachh Bharat Diwas 2020), on the occasion of the 151st Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, in New Delhi on October 2, 2020.
- Under the Swachh Sundar Samudayik Shouchalaya category Gujarat bagged the first position at state level whereas Tirunelveli in Tamil Nadu got the Award for cleanliness at District Level. Khachrod block in Ujjain district in Madhya Pradesh was awarded the first position and Chinnanur Village in Tamil Nadu bagged the top slot at Gram Panchayat level.
- Under the Samudayik Shouchalaya Abhiyan, Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh were awarded as the best performing states whereas Prayagraj and Bareilly got it for being the best performing districts. Under the Gandagi Mukth Bharat Mission, Haryana and Telangana were awarded the top slot.
Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar Inaugurates Kerala’s First Mega Food Park:
- Union Minister Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated Kerala’s first mega food park that will help generate 5,000 direct and indirect employments.
- “Kerala’s first and nation’s twentieth mega food park in Palakkad district of Kerala was virtually inaugurated” by the Union Agriculture and Food Processing Industries Minister Narendra Singh Tomar and Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammed Khan
Government launches ‘Sunidhi’ project to digitise CMPFO services:
- Government announced the launch of an ambitious information technology project ‘Sunidhi’ to digitise all provident fund and pension related activities of the Coal Mines Provident Fund Organisation (CMPFO).
- CMPFO is a statutory body under the coal ministry, administers different schemes of Provident Fund, Pension and Deposit linked insurance for coal mine workers.
Jal Shakti Minister launches 100-day campaign to provide potable piped water in Schools and Anganwadi Centres:
- Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat launched a 100-day campaign to provide potable piped water supply in Schools and Anganwadi Centres. This mission was envisaged by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 29th of last month, while releasing the ‘Margdarshika’ for Gram Panchayats and Paani Samitis for implementation of Jal Jeevan Mission.
- Under the Jal Jeevan Mission States and Union Territories are to ensure that during the campaign, Gram Sabhas are convened at the earliest to pass a resolution for providing safe water in all schools, anganwadi centres and other public institutions in the village in the next 100 days.
Telangana government undertakes door to door survey to update non-agricultural property details through NAP app:
- Telengana government has deployed teams of municipal staff to visit every single household to gather the property details through NAP(Non Agricultural Property) app to update them on the Dharani portal.
- The government has decided to issue Non-Agricultural Property Record (NAGPR) to the owners as a comprehensive ownership document.
- The properties are identified on the basis of Property Tax Identification Number (PTIN). All properties would be integrated with the Aadhaar of the owner.
- Chief Minister:K. Chandrashekar Rao
- National Parks(NP):KasuBrahmananda Reddy NP, Mahaveer Harina NP, Mrugavani NP.
PM Narendra Modi inaugurates nation world’s longest high altitude Atal Tunnel connecting Manali to Lahaul-Spiti valley:
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurated the Atal Tunnel under the Rohtang Pass that connects Manali to Lahaul-Spiti valley in Himachal Pradesh.
- The 9.02 kilometer long path that goes under the Rohtang Pass in the eastern Pir Panjal range at an altitude of 3,000 metres is the world’s longest high-altitude road tunnel.
- It is a horseshoe-shaped, single tube double lane tunnel.
Jitendra Singh inaugurates 23 Roads and Bridges projects in Kathua, Doda, Udhampur and Reasi Districts of Jammu and Kashmir:
- Union Minister of State and Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Jitendra Singh, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space inaugurated 23 roads and bridges projects worth Rs.73 Crore in Kathua, Doda, Udhampur and Reasi of Jammu region over a virtual platform. He also informed that around 1150 kilometres of roads were built in this fiscal till date.
Jammu and Kashmir:
- Capital: Srinagar (summer), Jammu (winter)
- Lt Governor: Manoj Sinha
- National Parks: Hemis National Park, City Forest (Salim Ali) National Park, Dachigam National Park, Kishtwar National Park.
- Wildlife Sanctuaries: Changthang Cold Desert WLS, Gulmarg WLS, Jasrota WLS, Baltal-Thajwas WLS, Karakoram (Nubra Shyok) WLS.
Indian Railways unveils new Tejas Express locomotives, capable to run at 160 kmph:
- Indian Railways’ electric locomotive manufacturing unit Chittaranjan Locomotive Works (CLW) has turned out first batch of Tejas Express locomotives amid COVID-19 scare.
- These locos are made for “Push-Pull” operations. CLW is one of the largest Electric Locomotive manufacturers in the world. The ‘Push-Pull’ technology will help the passenger electric locomotives to reduce air drags at higher speed. The Tejas locomotive is capable to run at 160 kmph.
Union Minister Arjun Munda to launch largest market of tribal products ‘Tribes India E-Marketplace’:
- Tribes India E-Marketplace (market.tribesindia.com) will be launched on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti (October 2, 2020) in the presence of Renuka Singh, Minister of State, Ministry of Tribal Affairs and Deepak Khandekar, Secretary, Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- Keeping in line with the vision of the Prime Minister of Making India Aatmanirbhar and self-reliant, this path breaking initiative of TRIFED will showcase the produce and handicrafts of tribal enterprises from across the country.
Defence Ministry signs contract worth 409 crore for supply of multi-mode hand grenades to Indian Army:
- Ministry of Defence signed a contract worth Rs 409 crore with a Nagpur-based company Economic Explosive Ltd (EEL) for the supply of 10,00,000 multi-mode hand grenades to the Indian Army. The contract was signed by the Acquisition Wing of Defence Ministry.
- These grenades have been designed by Chandigarh based Terminal Ballistic Research Laboratories (TBRL) of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and are being produced by EEL.
Union Minister Smriti Irani Participated in 25th Anniversary of the Fourth World Conference on Women Virtually:
- Union Minister of Women and Child Development (WCD) Smriti Zubin Irani, addressed the High-level meeting on the 25th anniversary of the 4th World Conference on Women (FWCW) held in Beijing. The theme of the event was “Accelerating the realisation of gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls”.
West Bengal government launches “Pathashree Abhijan” scheme for road repair:
- West Bengal government has launched the “Pathashree Abhijan” scheme.
- It is a road repair scheme, where more than 7,000 stretches of roads comprising 12,000 kilometers across the state will be repaired in a mission mode and in a time-bound manner.
- Capital: Kolkata
- Chief Minister: Mamata Banerjee
- Governor: Jagdeep Dhankhar
- National Park(NP): Buxa NP, Gorumara NP, Neora Valley NP, Jaldapara NP, Singalila NP, Sundarbans NP.
India signs defence deal with US worth 90 million USD to buy spares for C-130J Super Hercules aircraft:
- India and the United States have entered into a defence deal worth $90-million, wherein US would provide equipment, spare parts and logistical support for India’s fleet of C-130J Super Hercules Cargo Aircraft.
- India has also ordered an AN/ALR-56M advanced radar warning system, 10 lightweight Night Vision Binoculars, 10 Night Vision Glasses, GPS and electronic warfare to the US.
India and Bangladesh Naval Forces to Hold Exercise Bongosagar in Bay of Bengal:
- The 2nd edition of India-Bangladesh Bilateral Exercise “Bongosagar” is scheduled in the Bay of Bengal.
- The exercise between the two navies aims at fostering inter-operability and Joint Operational Skills with both forces conducting a wide spectrum of joint maritime exercises.
- Both Navies will undertake joint patrolling along the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL). The first edition of this exercise was held in 2019.
Banking and Economy
Government keeps interest rates unchanged on PPF, NSC and other small savings schemes for Third quarter:
- Government kept the interest rates on Small Savings Schemes, including PPF and NSC, unchanged for third quarter (October-December) amid moderating bank deposit rates.
- Public Provident Fund (PPF) and National Savings Certificate (NSC) will continue to carry an annual interest rate of 7.1 per cent and 6.8 per cent, respectively.
- Five-year Senior Citizens Savings Scheme (SCSS) has been retained at 7.4 per cent. The interest on the senior citizens scheme is paid quarterly. Interest rate on Savings Deposits has been retained at 4 per cent annually.
- The girl child savings scheme Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana(SSY) will offer 7.6 per cent rate during the third quarter of the current fiscal. The annual interest rate on Kisan Vikas Patra (KVP) has been retained at 6.9 per cent.
SEBI fines NSE Rs 6 crore for buying stakes in CAMS and others without its approval:
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has imposed a penalty of Rs 6 crore on National Stock Exchange (NSE) for buying stakes in unrelated businesses without its approval.
- The country’s largest stock exchange has invested in companies including Power Exchange India (PXIL), Computer Age Management Systems (CAMS), NSEIT, NSDL E-Governance Infrastructure (NEIL), Market Simplified India (MSIL) and Receivables Exchange of India (RXIL).
Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI):
- Headquarter: Mumbai, Maharshtra
- Chairman: Ajay Tyagi.
Indian Bank launches Rupay Kisan credit card scheme for Tamil Nadu fishermen:
- Indian Bank has launched Rupay Kisan credit card scheme for Tamil Nadu fishermen, where working capital loan up to Rs 2 lakh can be availed at 7% interest under MUDRA Scheme.
- Interest subvention of 3% would be provided for Repayment Of Loan within a year.
- The fishermen can submit their loan applications through the Department Of Fisheries.
State Bank India appoints former EY Partner Charanjit Attra as CFO:
- State Bank of India (SBI) has appointed Charanjit Surinder Singh Attra, former Partner at EY India, as its Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
- He has also served as CFO at ICICI Securities.
- The post fell vacant after Prashant Kumar was appointed Yes Bank CEO. C Venkat Nageshwar was serving the post on interim capacity.
State Bank of India (SBI):
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman: Rajnish Kumar.
- Tagline: The Banker to Every Indian
RBI approves appointment of interim committee of directors (CoD) headed by G Subramonia Iyer to run Dhanlaxmi Bank:
- Reserve Bank of India has approved a three-member interim committee of directors, headed by G Subramonia Iyer, to run the private sector bank after the shareholders voted out its MD and CEO Sunil Gurbaxani. G. Rajagopalan Nair and P.K Vijayakumar will serve as its members.
S Aparna IAS takes charge as new Union Pharma Secretary:
- S Aparna IAS (Gujarat 1988), has assumed charge as Secretary in the Department of Pharmaceuticals Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, Government of India.
- Ms Aparna has replaced Dr PD Vaghela who superannuated on 30 September 2020.
IAS officer Apurva Chandra takes charge as Secretary at Ministry of Labour and Employment:
- Apurva Chandra (IAS) has assumed charge as new Secretary of the Ministry of Labour and Employment.
- Chandra is a 1988 batch Indian Administrative Services (IAS) officer of Maharashtra cadre.
- Prior to this, he was serving as Special Director General, Defence Acquisition and Ministry of Defence.
IFS Officer Devyani Khobragade Appointed India’s Next Ambassador to Cambodia:
- Indian Foreign Service officer Devyani Uttam Khobragade has been appointed as India’s next ambassador to Cambodia.
- Khobragade, a 1999-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, is currently serving as a joint secretary in the ministry at its headquarters in Delhi.
- Khobragade has served in Indian missions in Berlin, Islamabad, Rome, and New York.
- Capital: Phnom Penh
- Currency: Cambodian riel.
Books and Authors
Manish Sisodia Launches Book “Bapu – The Unforgettable” On Gandhi Jayanti:
- Deputy Chief Minister of Delhi Manish Sisodia launched a coffee-table book “Bapu – The unforgettable” on the occasion of the 151st birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The book can certainly make us think, give us ideas, give us a glimpse of his philosophy.
- There are several untouched aspects of history in this book, a lot of photographs, epigraphs and several other details about Delhi which we usually do not get to see.
Former Indian Bank Chairman Gopalakrishnan passes away at 86:
- Former Indian Bank Chairman and Tamilnadu Yadava Mahasabai president M Gopalakrishnan passed away. Gopalakrishnan joined Indian Bank as an unpaid officer in 1958. He went on to become its CMD in 1988 and continued in the post till December 1995.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of October 3, 2020 now from the link given below.
Daily Current Affairs Quiz – October 3, 2020
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
Aspirants can get the test packages from our Official Bankersdaily Store (https://bankersdaily.testpress.in)
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.