Daily Current Affairs: December 9, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (December 9, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Anti-Corruption Day- December 9:
- International Anti-Corruption Day is observed on December 9 to raise public awareness for anti-corruption. The day has been observed since the passage of the United Nations Convention Against Corruption on 31 October 2003. Posting awareness messages on social media by using the hashtags #UnitedAgainstCorruption.
- Theme: “RECOVER with INTEGRITY”
International Day of Commemoration and Dignity of the Victims of the Crime of Genocide and of the Prevention of this Crime- December 9:
- The International Day of Commemoration and Dignity of the Victims of the Crime of Genocide and of the Prevention of this Crime is observed on December 9.
- It was established by the United Nations General Assembly in September 2015, to commemorate the anniversary of the adoption of the 1948 Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide.
Union Minister Piyush Goyal addresses ICAI’s Startup Manthan 2.0:
- Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal has introduced several benefits to encourage and boost startups. Addressing the ICAI’s Startup Manthan 2.0, he stated that the government is constantly providing inputs and impetus to the Startup ecosystem to help them expand their base.
- Government has created a fund of funds for Startups with an initial corpus of Rs 10,000 crore for funding promising Startups in their early-stage funding requirement. Government e-Marketplace provides an equitable opportunity to Startups to offer their services and products to all Government enterprises across the country.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually address India Mobile Congress 2020 virtually:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will deliver the inaugural address at the virtual India Mobile Congress (IMC) 2020. IMC 2020 is being organised by the Department of Telecommunications, Government of India, and the Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI).
- The aim of IMC 2020 is to align PM Modi’s vision to promote ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’, ‘Digital Inclusivity’, ‘Sustainable Development’, entrepreneurship and innovation.
Historical fort cities of Gwalior, Orchha in Madhya Pradesh included in UNESCO world heritage cities list:
- The historical fort cities of Gwalior and Orchha in Madhya Pradesh have been included in the list of UNESCO’s world heritage cities under its The World Heritage Cities Programme.
- Under the plan, UNESCO will suggest best measures and resources for the development and beautification of these places. UNESCO aims at promoting world peace and security through international cooperation in education, the sciences, and culture.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chauhan
- Governor: Anandiben Patel (Additional Charge).
Union Minister Harsh Vardhan virtually inaugurates the 2nd Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA) 2020 Conference:
- The Minister of Science and Technology and Vice President of Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), Dr Harsh Vardhan virtually inaugurated the 2nd TCGA 2020 conference in New Delhi.
- The conference aims to create an indigenous, open-source and comprehensive database to collect molecular profiles of all prevalent cancers in the Indian population.
Central Government recognized Two New Zoos in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh:
- Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Prakash Javadekar chaired 37th General Body meeting of Central Zoo Authority granted recognition to two new zoos one the Rajgir Zoo Safari in Nalanda, Bihar and Shaheed Ashfaque Ullah Khan Prani Udyaan in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh.
- The zoo aims to create awareness through naturalistic enclosures and create long-lasting visitor experience through state-of-the-art visitor facilities like 4D Theatre, battery-operated train, and accessibility to Divyangjan.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park (Tiger Reserve)
- Zoological park: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan (Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden.
Mount Everest is 8,848.86 metres tall, say Nepal and China after remeasurement:
- The World’s highest peak is now taller by 86 centimetres, Nepal and China jointly announced after remeasured Mt. Everest at 8,848.86 metres, over six decades after India conducted the previous measurement in 1954.
- In 1955, the height of Mount Everest was measured at 8848 m (29,028 feet) by the Survey of India. Mount Everest is known as Mount Qomolangma in the Tibetan language, while in Nepalese language it is famous as Sagar-Matha.
ADB approves USD 2.5 million technical assistance for advanced biofuel development in India:
- Manila-based Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a USD 2.5 million (about Rs 18 crore) technical assistance to support advanced biofuel development in India.
- The grant is funded from the Asia Clean Energy Fund, financed by the Government of Japan under the Clean Energy Financing Partnership Facility, and the Republic of Korea’s e-Asia and Knowledge Partnership Fund.
Banking and Economy:
RBI Cancels License of Karad Janata Sahakari Bank Limited:
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has cancelled the licence of The Karad Janata Sahakari Bank Ltd, Karad, Maharashtra, to carry on banking business, with effect from the close of business. The bank has around 29 branches across the state.
- The RBI said that more than 99 per cent of the customers would get full payment of their deposits from Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC) as they fall under the ₹5 lakh slab.
Fitch revises India’s GDP forecast contraction at 9.4% for FY21:
- Fitch Ratings raised India’s GDP forecast to -9.4% in the current fiscal year to March 2021 from a previously projected contraction of 10.5% after the economy staged a sharper rebound in the second quarter (July-Sep). The GDP had grown 4.2 per cent in FY 2019-20 (April 2019 to March 2020).
- Fitch has also projected the FY22 GDP growth at 11 per cent and 6.3 per cent growth in FY23.
Bank of Baroda launches ‘Atmanirbhar Women Gold Scheme’:
- Bank of Baroda (BoB) has launched the Atmanirbhar Women Scheme as part of its Baroda Gold Loan. Under the scheme, the bank is offering retail loans at 0.50 per cent concession for women. The bank under the gold loan scheme is also offering agri-gold loan at 0.25 per cent concession.
- The scheme was launched virtually by Sanjiv Chadha, MD & CEO, Bank of Baroda at Ramamurthy Nagar branch in Bengaluru and simultaneously in 18 branches coming under 18 zones in the country.
Bank of Baroda (BOB):
- Headquarters: Baroda (Vadodara), Gujarat
- MD & CEO: Sanjiv Chadha.
- Chairman: Hasmukh Adhia
- Tagline: “India’s International Bank”.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
PwC India collaborates with UNICEF and YuWaah to upskill 300 million youths in India over 10 years:
- PwC (Price waterhouse Coopers) India announced the launch of a strategic collaboration with UNICEF and YuWaah to help bridge the digital gap and help upskill 300 million youths in India over the next 10 years and enable them to emerge as changemakers in society.
- The collaboration is part of PwC’s global collaboration with UNICEF in support of YuWaah (Generation Unlimited) which is a multi-sector partnership aimed at helping 1.8 billion young people transition from school to work by 2030.
Annika Sorenstam elected president of International Golf Federation:
- Annika Sorenstam was elected president of the International Golf Federation (IGF). She is replacing the outgoing Peter Dawson. Sorenstam, a 72-time winner on the LPGA Tour and former No. 1 from Sweden, will take up the position on January 1.
Anindya Banerjee appointed as next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Korea:
- Anindya Banerjee has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea. Anindya Banerjee is presently an Assistant High Commissioner in the Assistant High Commission of India, Chittagong.
Sheikh Sabah Al-Khaled Al-Hamad Al-Sabah re-appointed as Prime Minister of Kuwait:
- Kuwait’s Emir Sheikh Nawaf al-Ahmad al-Sabah has reappointed Sheikh Sabah al-Khalid al-Sabah as prime minister of the country. Sheikh Sabah had been foreign minister since 2011 before being elevated to the post of premier in late 2019.
Awards and Recognitions:
Raj Kamal Jha wins Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize 2020 for ‘The City and the Sea’:
- Writer and chief editor of The Indian Express, Raj Kamal Jha, has won the 3rd Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize 2020 for his book, The City, and the Sea. Sultan Qaboos bin Said Al Stated the late Sultan of Oman and The People of Oman, and choreographer Sandip Soparrkar from India received the Tagore Prize for Social Achievement.
India ranked 10th in Climate Change Performance Index 2021:
- India is ranked at 10th place in the Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) 2021. For the second time in a row, India continued to remain in the top 10. The country scored 63.98 points out of 100. India was at 9th spot last year in the index.
- The Index was released by non-profit German watch in cooperation with New Climate Institute and Climate Action Network (CAN).
- The first three places remain unoccupied while Sweden (4th) United Kingdom (5th), Denmark (6th), Morocco (7th), Norway (8th), Chile (9th) were among the top 10 rankers in the index.
Mumbai Bagged Top Position in Urban Quality of Life Index released by IIT Bombay:
IIT-Bombay researchers have rolled out an urban quality of life index to show the reality of life in India.
- Top city: Mumbai
- The other top cities: Delhi, Kolkata, and Chennai.
- Most women-friendly: Chennai
- Least women-friendly: Patna
- Highest crime rate against women: Jaipur
- Lowest crime rate against women: Chennai
- Widest gap in literacy rate between men and women: Jaipur (13.2%)
- The lowest gap in literacy rate between men and women: Kolkata (5.4%).
- Highest overall Literacy rate: Pune (91%)
- Lowest overall Literacy rate: Hyderabad (83%).
- The highest unemployment rate for women: Patna
Hall of Fame Tennis player Dennis Ralston passed away at 78:
- Dennis Ralston, a five-time Grand Slam doubles champion who was one of the first players signed to the professional World Championship Tennis tour in the 1960s and a member of the sport’s Hall of Fame, died in Austin, Texas.
Former Argentina manager Alejandro Sabella passed away at 66:
- Alejandro Sabella, who led Argentina to the World Cup Final 2014, passed away after years of battling with cancer and heart problems. The ex-midfielder played eight times for his country. His two years in Sheffield were followed by a short spell at Leeds United before he returned to Estudiantes in 1982.
Tokyo 1964 Olympic champion Idogawa passes away at 81:
- Kinuko Idogawa, one of the main members of Japan’s gold medal-winning team in women’s volleyball at the Tokyo 1964 Olympics, has died. The winning team was called the “Witches of the Orient” due to their diving and tumbling saves.
Madagascar replaces Maldives as host of 2023 Indian Ocean Island Games:
- Madagascar has replaced Maldives as the host of the Indian Ocean Island Games (IOIG) 2023 due to concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic. The participating nations are Mauritius, Seychelles, Comoros, Madagascar, Mayotte, Réunion & Maldives.
- Maldives had requested pushing back the 2023 Games to 2025 but the IOIGF was keen to avoid a six-year void between editions of the multi-sport event. The first edition took place in 1979 and it takes place every 4 years.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of December 9, 2020, now from the link given below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.