Daily Current Affairs: February 1, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (Febraury 1, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Four Indian cities to launch clean air project
- Lucknow and Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh and Pune and Nashik in Maharashtra will launch the ‘Clean Air Project in India’ (CAP India) initiative to improve the air quality in the cities.
- CAP was launched in the World Sustainable Development Summit 2020 held at New Delhi.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
First Banana Container Train sent to JNPT for Exports
- Agricultural & Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA), along with Andhra Pradesh and one of the largest member exporter of banana, dispatched the first shipment of 890 MTs of high-quality bananas from Andhra Pradesh to JNPT in Mumbai.
- Banana clusters were built in Anantpur & Kadapa districts of AP.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
President Kovind to inaugurate 34th Surajkund Mela
- President Ram Nath Kovind will visit Haryana to inaugurate the 34th Surajkund International Crafts Mela at Faridabad.
- The year partner country is Uzbekistan and Himachal Pradesh is the theme-state.
- Capital: Chandigarh
- Chief Minister: Manohar Lal Khattar
- Governor: Satyadev Narayan Arya
Kala Ghoda Arts Festival to be celebrated in Mumbai
- Kala Ghoda Arts Festival is the country’s largest multicultural festival is annually celebrated in Mumbai.
- This year, the event will be held from 1 February to 9 February 2020 and marks the 21st year of the festival.
- Capital: Mumbai
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
3-day Narmada Mahotsav at Amarkantak
- Madhya Pradesh, three-day Narmada Mahotsav is being started from today in the picturesque plains of Amarkantak on the occasion of Narmada Jayanti.
- Local tribal art and culture will be duly demonstrated during Amarkantak Narmada Mahotsav-2020.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Kamal Nath
- Governor: Lal Ji Tandon
Nagoba Jatra festival celebrated in Telangana
- Nagoba Jatara tribal festival was celebrated in the state of Telangana.
- The festival is prominently celebrated in Keslapur village, Indervelly Mandal, Adilabad district of Telangana.
- It is also the 2nd biggest tribal carnival and is celebrated by Mesaram clan of Gond tribes for nearly a month.
- Capital: Hyderabad
- Chief Minister: K. Chandrashekar Rao
- Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan
Amazon India partners with Eastern Railways to set up kiosk in Sealdah Railway station
- Amazon India has entered a partnership with Eastern Railways to set up a pick-up kiosk at the buzzing Sealdah railway station in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- This follows after the successful pilot of pickup kiosks in 4 railway stations across Mumbai in 2019.
- Capital: Kolkata
- Chief Minister: Mamata Banerjee
- Governor: Jagdeep Dhankhar
Telangana tops country in sustainable growth goals: UN Development Programme
- Telangana has emerged as the best performing state in promoting inclusive and sustainable economic growth and decent work for all on Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) India Index 2019, according to United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) India.
- It has improved its performance over 2018 in 8 out of 17 SDGs.
Uttar Pradesh’s Chandauli district tops NITI’s Aspirational District ranking
- Chandauli district in Uttar Pradesh has topped the list of aspirational districts ranked by the government think tank Niti Aayog in December.
- Belangir (Odisha) and YSR (Andhra Pradesh) have been placed at the second and third positions, respectively.
Nepal creates Guinness World Record for highest altitude fashion show event
- Nepal has set an all-new Guinness World Record for the highest altitude fashion show event ever held.
- Mount Everest Fashion Runway, organized by RB Diamonds & KASA Style in support of Nepal Tourism Board, was held at 5340 metres height at Kala Patthar.
- Capital: Kathmandu
- Currency: Napalese Rupee
- Prime Minister: KP Sharma Oli
- President: Bidhya Devi Bhandari
Google commits $ 1 million grant to Internews for news literacy promotion in India
- Google News Initiative (GNI), a cooperative effort between Google & a number of large traditional news media providers, has announced a $1 million grant for global non-profit organization ‘Internews’ that will launch a new initiative to promote news literacy among the Indian public.
Awards and Honours
Theatre artist Sanjna Kapoor receives French honour
- Thespian Sanjna Kapoor was awarded the French honour of Chevalier dans l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres’ (Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters) for her outstanding contribution to theatre.
- She currently runs the Mumbai-based theatre company ‘Junoon’.
Noted Bhajan Singer Munna Master is awarded a Padma Shri
- Munna has been singing bhajans for 30 years now, a family tradition that began with his father, Gaffur Khan.
- He has penned various Ram-Krishna bhajans and his book ‘Shri Shyam Surabhi Vandana’ is quite popular in the area.
Journalist Yusuf Jameel won 2019 PEN Gauri Lankesh Award for Democratic Idealism
- Senior journalist Yusuf Jameel from Jammu & kashmir (J&K) won the 2019-20 PEN Gauri Lankesh Award for Democratic Idealism for his outstanding contribution in journalism.
Banking and Economics
Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme 2019-20 (Series IX)
- The issue price of the Bond during the subscription period shall be Rs 4,070 (Rupees Four Thousand Seventy only) – per gram with Settlement date.
- The Government of India in consultation with the Reserve Bank of India has decided to allow discount of Rs 50 (Rupees Fifty only) per gram from the issue price to those investors who apply online and the payment is made through digital mode.
Economic Survey 2019-20 projects growth at 6 to 6.5 per cent for next fiscal
- Economic Survey 2019-20 has projected economic growth at 6 to 6.5% in fiscal year starting 1st of April this year.
- It has put current fiscal growth at 5 per cent & said the fiscal deficit target for current fiscal may need to be relaxed to revive growth.
- Industrial sector registered a growth of 0.6% in 2019-20.
Indian Bank launched two-tailor made credit products for textile sector
- Indian Bank has announced the launch of two tailor made credit products.
- i.e., Corporate Loan and Ind Surya Shakthi which will be available across the country for the benefit of the textile sector.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
“Calcutta Nights” – Book reveals Kolkata’s best kept secrets
- Rajat Chaudhri, translated the book “Calcutta nights” (originally ‘Raater Kolkata’) into English and was published by Niyogi Books.
- The book was first written in Bengali by Hemendra Kumar Roy, famous bengali writer and was published in 1923.
Noted activist Vidya Bal dies at 84 in Pune
- The Veteran Feminist, Social Activist & writer Vidya Bal passed away at the age of 84.
- She was a forefront fighter for women equality with men. She was the founder of ‘Nari Samata Manch’.
Former India basketball captain Matthew Satya Babu passes away 79
- Matthew Satya Babu, a former Indian basketball captain passed away at the age of 79 in Chennai, Tamil Nadu (TN).
Urdu poet Ajmal Sultanpuri passed away at 97
- Ajmal Sultanpuri, urdu poet passed away at the age of 97 in Sultanpur, Uttar Pradesh (UP) due to age related illness.
Bala Devi signs with Rangers, becomes first Indian woman footballer to play professionally in the world
Scottish team Rangers signed Bala Devi from Manipur Police on an 18-month-deal. She became the 1st Indian woman to become a professional footballer in the world. She is the top goal scorer for the Indian national team netting 52 in 58 outings since 2010.
Flame-Throated Bulbul ‘Rubigula’ official mascot for Goa 2020 National Games
- Goa will be hosting the 36th edition of the National Games from 20th October to 4th November 2020
- ‘Rubigula’, Flame-Throated Bulbul, has been unveiled as the official mascot for the Goa 2020 National Games in Panaji, Goa.
- Capital: Panaji
- Chief Minister: Pramod Sawant
- Governor: Satya Pal Malik
Mo O’Brien becomes 1st deaf person to row across Atlantic Ocean
- A 60-year-old pharmacy worker Mo O’Brien has become the first deaf person on record to row an ocean by finishing a 3,000-mile journey across the Atlantic.
- The Ocean Rowing Society, which is responsible for monitoring ocean rowing records, confirmed this.
Canada’s Christine Sinclair becomes all-time top scorer with 185 goals in international soccer
- Christine Margaret Sinclair, 36 years old, Canadian soccer player, became the all-time top scorer with 185 goals in international soccer.
- Sinclair surpassed the record of American Abby Wambach (original name Mary Abigail Wambach) who scored 184 goals.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of February 1, 2020 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 6 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.