DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: March 24, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (March 24, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Tuberculosis Day-24 March
- World Tuberculosis Day, falling on 24 March each year commemorates the day in 1882 when Dr. Robert Koch astounded the scientific community by announcing that he had discovered the cause of tuberculosis, the TB bacillus.
- Theme: “It’s Time”.
International Day for the Right to the Truth Concerning Gross Human Rights Violations and for the Dignity of Victims is observed on 24 March:
- The day pays tribute to those who have devoted their lives to and lost their lives in the struggle to promote and protect human rights for all.
- The day is observed to pay tribute to the memory of Monsignor Óscar Arnulfo Romero.
Shivraj Singh Chauhan takes oath as CM of Madhya Pradesh for the fourth time:
- Madhya Pradesh, senior BJP leader Shivraj Singh Chauhan has become Chief Minister of the state for the fourth time.
- Governor Lalji Tandon administered him the oath of office & secrecy at a simple ceremony held at Raj Bhavan. He will succeed Kamal Nath.
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan worked as the CM of the state for almost 13 years.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chauhan
- Governor: Lal Ji Tandon
Flying car PAL-V to be manufactured in Gujarat
- Gujarat government MoU signed with flying car-maker PAL-V (Personal Air Land Vehicle) of The Netherlands gears up to set up a manufacturing unit in India.
- PAL-V, which stands for Personal Air Land Vehicle, has targeted to commence production at its manufacturing plant in Gujarat by 2021.
- Chief Minister:Vijay Rupani
- Governor:Acharya Devvrat
IOC becomes 1st company to begin supply of BS-VI fuel across the country
- Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) began the supply of the world’s cleanest petrol & diesel across the country.
- All 28,000 petrol stations of IOC’s across India are dispensing BS-VI ultra-low sulphur grade fuel to reduce the pollution from vehicles in the air.
- April 1, 2020 is the deadline for starting supply of Euro- VI.
Bridge constructed by BRO over Teesta River in North Sikkim opened for traffic
- In a major relief to the residents of Lachen in northern Sikkim, the BRO (Border Roads Organisation) opened a 360-feet long bailey suspension bridge over the Teesta river for traffic in Munshithang near Chungthang town. The roads approaching the bridge have also been constructed.
- Chief Minister:Prem Singh Tamang
- Governor:Ganga Prasad
Gujarat Police becomes first in India to introduce taser guns
- Gujarat Police is equipped with taser guns in order to ensure safety and security of the public. By introducing the taser guns as part of police weapons, Gujarat becomes the first state in India.
IITMadras hosts India’s first Hyperloop Pod Competition
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras is organising India’s first Global Hyperloop Pod Competition to increase awareness and enthusiasm about Hyperloop in India.
- Called the ‘Indian Hyperloop Pod Competition,’ the objective is to encourage student teams in India and abroad to develop a Hyperloop Pod and compete to build the fastest, most innovative and efficient design and prototype of the relevant technologies in the field.
- The competition is open globally and the final round will take place in the IIT Madras campus in July 2020.
India ranks 120th in Index of Economic Freedom 2020
- India ranks 120th globally and 25th among 43 countries in the Asia-Pacific region. Singapore overtook Hong Kong as the world’s freest economy for the first time since 1995 in the latest Heritage Foundation Index of Economic Freedom.
- The Index was first published in 1995 and Hong Kong has topped the charts ever since; that is until 2020.
Cabinet approved extradition treaty between India & Belgium
- The Union cabinet, chaired by PM Narendra Modi, approved signing of an extradition treaty between India & Belgium.
- The treaty would provide a legal framework for seeking extradition of terrorists, economic offenders and other criminals from and to Belgium.
- Capital- Brussels
- Currency- Euro.
UK becomes 1st co-chair of India-led global climate initiative ‘CDRI’
- Government of United Kingdom has become the first co-chair of the Governing Council on the India-led global climate initiative ‘Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI).
World Cities Summit 2020 rescheduled to 20 – 24 June 2021
- Singapore has rescheduled the 7th World Cities Summit (WCS) 2020 to 20 – 24 June 2021 due to the outbreak of COVID-19 which includes, Singapore International Water Week (SIWW) and Clean Environmental Summit Singapore (CESG).
- The theme of WCS is “Liveable and Sustainable Cities: Adapting to a Disrupted World”.
Toyota, NTT to invest in each other in smart city tie-up
- Automotive manufacturer Toyota Motor Corp and Nippon Telegraph & Telephone Corporation will form a capital tie-up to work together in smart-city development, making large investments in each other, Japan’s only public broadcaster NHK (Nippon Hoso Kyokai) stated.
- NTT is a Japanese telecommunications company.
India’s 1st AI summit ‘RAISE 2020’ postponed to October
- Indian government announced the postponement of the country’s 1st summit on Artificial Intelligence (AI), ‘RAISE 2020– Responsible Artificial intelligence (AI) for Social Empowerment’ to October 5-6, 2020.
IBM, Amazon, Google partner with US govt to provide resources for coronavirus research
- The country’s private sector have joined America’s war against coronavirus in a big way
- The public-private consortium will ‘unleash the power of American super computing resources’ to fight the deadly viral infection.
United Nations to create global coronavirus fund
- UN will create a fund to prevent the spread of COVID-19 & support the treatment of patients globally.
- Purpose of the fund is to assist developing countries with weak health systems in addressing the crisis as well as to tackle the long-term consequences.
- Norway suggested to create the global coronavirus fund.
Amazon teams up with Bill Gates-backed group to deliver coronavirus test kits
- Amazon.com Inc is teaming up with a research program funded by Bill Gates to pick up and deliver coronavirus test kits in Seattle.
- The Seattle Coronavirus Assessment Network is collecting nasal swabs from a sample of people across King County.
- Seattle: Group of medical, health & research organizations.
Banking and Finance
Zero charges on Bank of Baroda digital transactions for 3 months:
- Bank of Baroda has rolled out its ‘Stay Safe, Bank Safe’ initiative to encourage customers to bank digitally.
- BOB customers can avail of its services from a remote location without having to visit a bank branch.
Karur Vysya Bank launches pre-paid card Enkasu in Karur
- Karur Vysya Bank (KVB) has launched “Enkasu”, a pre-paid card in Karur, Tamil Nadu. In response to the digital initiative of the Government of India, the bank undertook a Quit Cash Movement in Karur – a movement to reduce the usage of cash in the district of Karur.
- Enkasu works on Near Field Communication Technology.
Goldman Sachs sees 1% drop in global GDP due to ‘coronacrisis’:
- Goldman Sachs expects the global real Gross Domestic Product to contract by 1% in 2020, a sharper economic decline than in the year following the 2008 global financial crisis.
- It sees the real GDP in advanced economies contracting ‘very sharply’ in Q2.
- 24% drop in the United States for Q2 is predicted.
SBI becomes the 1st bank to launch an emergency credit facility:
- State Bank of India (SBI), an Indian multinational, public sector bank, became the 1st bank to launch COVID 19 emergency credit line (CECL) to provide funds to businesses affected by the infectious coronavirus.
Justice Bhushan P Dharmadhikari as Chief Justice of Bombay High Court:
- Maharashtra Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari appointed Justice Bhushan P Dharmadhikari as the Chief Justice of Bombay High Court. He was sworn in at Raj Bhavan.
- President of India, Ram Nath Kovind issued a notification for appointing him as Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court.
- Capital– Mumbai
- Chief Minister– Uddhav Thackeray
- Governor– Bhagat Singh Koshyari.
Government constitutes 21 member committee: COVID-19
- Government set up a 21 member high-level technical committee of public health experts to guide the people in preventive & control activities of COVID-19.
- The committee is headed by NITI Aayog member V K Paul & is co-chaired by Union Health Secretary- Preeti Sudan, Director General Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)- Balram Bhargava.
Awards and Recognitions
2020 Abel Prize to Hillel Furstenberg and Margulis
- Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters has awarded the Abel Prize for 2020 to Hillel Furstenberg, Hebrew University of Jerusalem & Gregory Margulis, Yale University, USA.
- Due to the corona pandemic, there will not be a physical Laureate ceremony.
Veteran Tamil actor, writer, and director Visu passed away:
- Tamil actor, writer & director Meenakshi Sundaram Ramasamy Viswanathan, popularly known as Visu, passed away.
- The actor had reportedly been suffering from age-related health issues. His first on-screen major role was in the film Kudumbam Oru Kadambam.
- Visu passed away at the age of 75.
Former Real Madrid president Lorenzo Sanz dies of coronavirus:
- Lorenzo Sanz died aged 76 after contracting the novel coronavirus Sanz presided over the club between 1995 and 2000, in which they won two Champions League titles and one La Liga crown among other trophies.
Canada becomes first country to withdraw from 2020 Tokyo Olympic:
- The 2020 Olympic & Paralympic Games in Tokyo have been thrown into further doubt after Canada became the first major country to withdraw due to the outbreak of COVID-19.
- Japan’s PM Shinzo Abe has admitted for the 1st time that the games could be postponed.
- The games are currently due to begin on 24th July 2020.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.