Daily Current Affairs: February 10, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (February 10, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Pulses Day- February 10
- World Pulses Day is observed globally on February 10. The day is designated United Nations global event to recognize the importance of pulses (chickpeas, dry beans, lentils, dry peas, and lupins among others) as a global food. The first WPD was held on February 10, 2019.
- Theme 2021: “Nutritious Seeds for a Sustainable Future”.
- The five-day National Horticulture Fair 2021 has started in Bengaluru, Karnataka. The fair is organized by the Indian Institute of Horticulture Research (IIHR) at the Institute’s Hessarghatta campus on the outskirts of Bengaluru city.
- The theme of the event is ‘For Start-up and Stand-up India’.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: B. S. Yeddyurappa
- Governor: VajubhaiVala
- National Park: Anshi NP, Kudremukh NP, Bandipur NP, Bannerghatta NP, Rajiv Gandhi (Nagarahole) NP.
Cabinet approves Grant-in-aid of Rs.100 crore to Brahmaputra Valley Fertilizer Corporation Limited, Assam
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi accorded approval to the proposal of the Department of Fertilizers for Grant-in-aid of 100 crore to Brahmaputra Valley Fertilizers Corporation Limited (BVFCL), Namrup (Assam) to sustain operations of its urea manufacturing units.
- BVFCL is situated in the North-Eastern part of India, which plays an important role in economic growth in the region. This will also strengthen the ATMA NIRBHAR BHARAT campaign of the Government of India.
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief Minister: SarbanandaSonowal
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
- National Parks: Orang National Park, Manas National Park or Manas Wildlife Sanctuary, Dibru-Saikhowa National Park, Kaziranga National Park, Nameri National Park, Dehing Patkai Wls.
Prime Minister inaugurates World Sustainable Development Summit-2021
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the World Sustainable Development Summit-2021 via video conferencing. The theme of the summit is ‘Redefining Our Common Future: Safe and Secure Environment for All’.
- The 20th edition of The Energy and Resources Institute’s (TERI) flagship event will bring together a wide number of governments, business leaders, academicians, climate scientists, youth, and civil society in the fight against climate change.
Gujarat government to set up Indian Institute of Skills in Gandhinagar
- The Gujarat government is setting up an Indian Institute of Skills (IIS) at Nasmed village in Gandhinagar district of Gujarat. The state Labour and Employment department is setting up the institute in collaboration with the Tata Group on a not-for-profit PPP (Public-private partnership) model.
- The institute will prepare skilled manpower in the fields of artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, additive manufacturing, augmented reality, system integration, cloud-based application, simulation solutions, among other areas.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
- National Park: Blackbuck NP, Vansda NP, Gir Forest NP, Marine NP, Gulf of Kutch.
Odisha’s Balasore to get country’s first thunderstorm research testbed; India Meteorological Department (IMD)
- India Meteorological Department (IMD) is set to establish India’s first thunderstorm research testbed in Balasore, Odisha. The objective of setting up the thunderstorm testbed is to reduce the human fatalities and loss of property due to lightning strikes.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
- Festivals: Dhanu Yatra, Budi Thakurani Yatra, Magha Saptami, Chhau, Dola Purnima.
- Folk Dances: Chhau, Gotipua, Ghumura, Ranappa, Chaiti Ghoda, Sambalpuri.
FSSAI’s caps Trans Fatty Acid to 2% in all oils and fats by January 2022
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has restricted the permissible amount of industrial Trans Fatty Acid (TFA) in food products to 2 percent from 2022. The recent amendment of the Food Safety and Standards (Prohibition and Restriction on Sales) Regulations, 2011 will come into effect from January 1, 2022.
- Currently, the permissible limit for trans fats in food products in 2021 is 3 percent, cut down from the previous limit of 5 percent.
India inks MoU with Afghanistan to build Shatoot dam for safe drinking and Agri water to Kabul
- India and Afghanistan signed an MoU for the construction of the proposed Shatoot dam that India will build to provide safe drinking and irrigation water to Kabul residents.
- The MoU was signed by External Affairs Minister Jaishankar and Afghanistan Foreign Minister Hanif Atmar, in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President of Afghanistan Mohammad Ashraf Ghani.
- Capital: Kabul
- Currency: Afghan afghani
- President: Ashraf Ghani
Banking and Economy
Bank of Maharashtra ties up with LoanTap Credit for co-lending to MSMEs
- State-owned Bank of Maharashtra has entered into a co-lending agreement with the Pune-based non-banking financial company LoanTap Credit Products, for MSME loans.
- Under the co-lending model, the bank will have an exposure of up to 80 percent while the remaining 20 percent by the
PhonePe partners with Axis Bank on UPI multi-bank model
- Digital payments platform PhonePe has partnered with Axis Bank on a Unified Payments Interface (UPI) multi-bank model. The partnership will provide PhonePe users with the option to create and use multiple UPI IDs with Axis Bank’s “@axl”
- PhonePe will also start acquiring merchants with Axis Bank in addition to its partnership with YES Bank. It will help expand our reach to customers and the merchant community while offering secure and seamless payment experiences.
Science and Technology
DRDO signs MoU with IISc to establish a centre for excellence for advanced research
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) to establish a centre of excellence to promote advanced research.
- The JTAP-Centre for Excellence would be located on the IISc premises at Bengaluru and it would expand the scope and objective of the existing joint advanced technology program (JTAP) between the two institutions.
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO):
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairman: Dr. G. Satheesh Reddy.
HAL and Wipro3D collaborate to manufacture metal 3D printed aircraft engine component
- Wipro 3D and Engine Division of Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) have collaborated for the development, manufacturing, and airworthiness certification of acritical aero-engine component operating in the hot zone, using metal 3D printing.
- The Nozzle Guide Vane (also called the Inner Ring), 3D printed in a high-temperature resilient steel A286, has been awarded Airworthiness certification by the Centre for Military Airworthiness and Certification (CEMILAC).
GoI appoints an Expert committee headed by TP Rajendran to review a proposal to ban 27 pesticides
- The government has appointed an expert panel to review the industry’s objections to the proposed ban on 27 widely used pesticides which are harmful to animals and humans.
- The committee is led by chairman TP Rajendran, former assistant director-general of ICAR.
Acquisitions and Mergers
Airbus signs MoU with GMR Group to collaborate on aviation services in India
- Airbus signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with GMR Group to explore collaboration opportunities across aviation services, technologies, and innovation.
- Airbus and GMR Group will team up to explore potential synergies in several strategic areas of aviation services, including maintenance, components, training, digital, and airport services.
Founder of Rang Vidushak and Padma Shri awardee Bansi Kaul passed away at 71
- Bansi Kaul, a noted Indian theatre director and the founder of Rang Vidushak, a theatre group in Bhopal, has passed away at the age of 71. Kaul was honored with the Padma Shri in 2014 and was also a recipient of the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1995, among other awards.
Former US secretary of state and key Cold War figure, George Shultz passed away at 100
- Former US Secretary of State George Shultz, known for his contribution in helping to end the Cold War and his efforts for peace in the Middle East, passed away at the age of 100. He has been honored for shaping “the trajectory of American diplomacy” in the 20th century.
England’s Joe Root becomes the first batsman to score 200 in 100th Test
- England test cricket team captain Joe Root becomes the first batsman in the history of Test cricket to score a double century in his 100th Root notched up the fifth double century of his career.
- Former Pakistan skipper Inzamam ul Haq, who hit 184 against India in Bengaluru in 2005, held the previous best score in the 100th Test.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of February 10, 2021, now from the link given below.