Daily Current Affairs: February 11 & 12, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (February 11 & 12, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Also, Don’t forget to attend the Daily Current Affairs Quiz – February 11 & 12, 2021, now @ our Bankersdaily Tests.
International Day of Women and Girls in Science- February 11
- The International Day of Women and Girls in Science is observed on February 11, by resolution of the United Nations General Assembly on 22 December 2015. The day recognizes the critical role women and girls play in science and technology.
- Theme 2021: “Women Scientists at the forefront of the fight against COVID-19”.
World Unani Day- February 11
- World Unani Day is observed globally on February 11 every year. The day is celebrated on the birth anniversary of great Unani scholar and social reformer Hakim Ajmal Khan.
- The first Unani Day was celebrated in 2017 at Central Research Institute of Unani Medicine (CRIUM), Hyderabad.
India will get 6.4% average salary increase in 2021:
- Salaries in India are projected to rise by an average of 4% in 2021, translating to a median increase of 7%. The increase is marginally larger than the average precise increase of 5.9% in 2020.
- On average, 6% of the salary increase budget is being allocated to top performers, representing 10.3% of the employees in India.
Ministry of Textiles First Ever India Toy Fair 2021 to be held virtually
- The government launched the website of the “India Toy Fair- 2021” through virtual mode from February 27 to March 2, 2021. India toy fair is to boost the toy manufacturing industry in India and for improving its global market share in line with ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ and ‘Get Vocal for Local’
- The website of the Toy Fair (www.theindiatoyfair.in) was inaugurated jointly by the Union Minister of Textiles Smriti Irani, Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal, and the Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Piyush Goyal.
Naveen Patnaik launches infra projects worth over ₹28 crore in Ganjam district of Odisha
- Chief Minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaik virtually inaugurated development projects worth over ₹28 crore in the Hinjili Municipal Council area of the Ganjam district of Odisha.
- The projects will accelerate the overall development of the municipal council. A short video film on the new projects in Hinjili was exhibited during the occasion.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
- Festivals: Dhanu Yatra, Budi Thakurani Yatra, Magha Saptami, Chhau, Dola Purnima.
- Folk Dances: Chhau, Gotipua, Ghumura, Ranappa, Chaiti Ghoda, Sambalpuri.
India’s First Museum of Illusions Comes up in Delhi
- Museum of Illusions is a mind-bending “edutainment” experience where guests enter the fascinating world of mental deception, has opened to the public. It is the 1st India outpost and 30th location for the rapidly expanding museum of illusions brand that started in Zagreb, Croatia in 2015.
- The museum’s collection of interactive, immersive, and distinctly incomprehensible exhibits is based on math, science, and psychology.
Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers Approval accorded under PLI Scheme for Promotion of Domestic Manufacturing of Medical Devices
- Department of Pharmaceuticals had launched a Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme for Promotion of Domestic Manufacturing of Medical Devices to ensure a level playing field for the domestic manufacturers of with a total financial outlay of 3,420 cr. for the period 2020-21 medical devices to 2027-28.
- The Medical Device Sector in India suffers from a considerable cost of manufacturing disability vis-à-vis competing economies, inter alia, on account of lack of adequate infrastructure, domestic supply chain and logistics, high cost of finance, inadequate availability of power, limited design capabilities, low focus on research and development (R&D) and skill development
Union Minister Nitin Gadkari launches India’s first CNG tractor
- Union Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari launched India’s first CNG tractor. It can help the farmers save over Rs 1 lakh annually on fuel costs. The diesel converted CNG tractor is currently an experimental pilot project.
- CNG is a clean fuel, as it has the lowest content of carbon and other pollutants. It is economical as it has zero lead and is non-corrosive, non-dilutive and non-contaminating, which helps in increasing the life of the engine and it requires less regular maintenance.
Goa becomes 6th State to complete Urban Local Bodies reforms (ULB) allowed additional borrowing of Rs 223 crore
- Goa has become the 6th State in the country to successfully undertake Urban Local Bodies (ULB) reforms stipulated by the Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance.
- Goa has become eligible to mobilise additional financial resources of Rs. 223 crores through Open Market Borrowings. Goa has joined five other States namely, Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Manipur, Rajasthan, and Telangana, who have completed ULB reforms.
- Chief Minister: Pramod Sawant.
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari (Additional Charge).
National Beekeeping & Honey Mission (NBHM) aims to achieve the goal of ‘Sweet Revolution’ as part of Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyaan
- The government has approved the allocation for 500 crore for National Beekeeping & Honey Mission (NBHM) for three years (2020-21 to 2022-23) as part of the AtmaNirbhar Bharat scheme.
- NBHM aims for the overall promotion & development of scientific beekeeping in the country to achieve the goal of ‘Sweet Revolution’ which is being implemented through National Bee Board (NBB).
Banking and Economy
RBI launches Financial Literacy Week on Developing Credit Discipline
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) launched Financial Literacy Week (FLW) from February 8- February 12, 2021. This year focus on ‘Developing credit discipline and encouraging availing credit from formal financial institutions as per requirement’.
- Theme 2021 is “Credit Discipline and Credit from Formal Institutions”.
Reserve Bank of India (RBI):
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Formation: 1 April 1935
- Governor: Shaktikanta Das
- Deputy Governors: 4 (Bibhu Prasad Kanungo, Mahesh Kumar Jain, Michael Debabrata Patra, Rajeshwar Rao)
- Subsidiaries: Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC), Bharatiya Reserve Bank Note Mudran (BRBNM).
SBI Ecowrap revises growth forecast to -7 % from -7.4 % for FY21
- SBI’s research wing, Ecowrap has revised its FY21 GDP forecast estimate for the current fiscal to -7 percent from -7.4 percent It has retained its GDP forecast for FY22 at 11 percent.
India Ratings Projects India’s GDP to grow 10.4% growth in FY22
- India Ratings and Research (Ind-Ra) estimates India’s gross domestic product (GDP) to bounce back to 4 percent growth in FY22.
- The rating agency expects GDP growth to turn positive at 3 percent in the January-March quarter of FY21 after shrinking in first nine months of the year.
Aditya Mittal appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of ArcelorMittal; Lakshmi N. Mittal to become Executive Chairman
- The Board of Directors of ArcelorMittal announced Aditya Mittal, currently President, CFO and CEO ArcelorMittal Europe, will become Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the company.
- Lakshmi N. Mittal (who founded the company in 1976) will become Executive Chairman of ArcelorMittal.
Aegon Life Insurance elevates Satishwar Balakrishnan as MD and CEO
- Aegon Life Insurance has elevated Satishwar Balakrishnan as its managing director and CEO. Balakrishnan, who joined the company in July 2019 as its chief financial officer, will spearhead the company’s transformation into a digital-only life insurance company.
Awards and recognitions
Robert Irwin wins the Wildlife Photographer of the Year People’s Choice Award
- The 17-year-old Australian photographer Robert Irwin has been awarded the People’s Choice Award for his image titled Bushfire in the prestigious Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2020
- Irwin’s image was chosen from a shortlist of 25 finalists that received a total of 55,486 votes. The award event was organised by the Natural History Museum.
Telangana’s Manasa Varanasi crowned VLCC Femina Miss India World 2020
- The 23-Year-Old Manasa Varanasi, an engineer from Telangana emerged as the winner of VLCC Femina Miss India World 2020.
- Manika Sheokand from Haryana won the title of VLCC Femina Miss Grand India 2020 and Manya Omprakash Singh from Uttar Pradesh was declared VLCC Femina Miss India 2020 Runner Up.
Books and Authors
A Book titled ‘Platform Scale: For a Post-Pandemic World’ authored by Sangeet Paul Choudary
- A new book titled “Platform Scale: For a Post-Pandemic World” was authored by Sangeet Paul Choudary an Entrepreneur-author.
- This book describes how this decade saw the rise of the platform business model amid the COVID-19 epidemic. The book was published by Penguin Random House India.
Virat Kohli Slips to 5th Position in Latest ICC Test Rankings for Batsmen; Kane Williams tops
- International Cricket Council (ICC) released the latest Test rankings for batsmen, with Team India captain Virat Kohli slipping to the fifth position with 852 rating points. Cheteshwar Pujara also dropped a spot and is now ranked seventh. England captain Joe Root jumped two spots to third
Top 5 Batsmen list:
- Kane Williamson (New Zealand)
- Steve Smith (Australia)
- Joe Root (England)
- Marnus Labuschagne (Australia)
- Virat Kohli (India)
Top 5 Bowlers list:
- Pat Cummins (Australia)
- Stuart Broad (England)
- James Anderson (England)
- Neil Wagner (New Zealand)
- Josh Hazlewood (Australia)
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of February 11 & 12, 2021, now from the link given below.