Daily Current Affairs: February 17, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (February 17, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
ICGE-II becomes the first government event in Kerala to be carbon-neutral
- The 2nd edition of the International Conference on Gender Equality (ICGE-II) has become the first government event in Kerala to be carbon-neutral by ensuring that a 3-day event met globally acknowledged environmental credentials with accuracy and transparency.
- Carbon neutrality refers to achieving net-zero carbon dioxide emissions by balancing or eliminating the release of colorless gas which has a propensity to contribute to polluting air and trap heat, leading to respiratory diseases and climate change.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammed Khan.
Maharashtra govt signs MoU with Flipkart to promote craftsmen and local artisans
- E-commerce marketplace Flipkart has partnered with Maharashtra Small Scale Industries Development Corporation and Maharashtra State Khadi & Village Industries Board to bring local artisans and small as well as medium businesses into the e-commerce fold.
- This MoU will enable artisans, weavers, craftsmen & MSMEs from Maharashtra to showcase their products to millions of customers in India. Flipkart will provide free training for packaging and branding to all these manufacturers.
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray.
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari.
Indian Economic Trade Organization signed MoU with Karnataka for Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- The government of Karnataka signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Indian Economic Trade Organization (IETO) and for working closely to implement the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the state in a much effective manner and expanding the scope of the sustainable future.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: S. Yeddyurappa
- Governor: VajubhaiVala
- National Park: Anshi NP, Kudremukh NP, Bandipur NP, Bannerghatta NP, Rajiv Gandhi (Nagarahole) NP.
Madhya Pradesh hosts Khajuraho Dance Festival and Mandu Festival
- Madhya Pradesh host the three-day famous Mandu Festival in the historic town of Dhar district on February 13-14. Khajuraho Dance Festival 2021 will be organised from February 20 to 26 by Ustad Allauddin Khan Sangeet & Kala Academy in the famous temple town of Khajuraho.
- Dino Adventure Park and Fossils Museum also inaugurated by the state culture and tourism minister, Usha Thakur. Park is the country’s first modern fossil park which has 24 eggs and other fossils of dinosaurs on display.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chauhan
- Governor: Anandiben Patel (Additional Charge).
IIT Bombay launches fundraising campaign ‘Cherish IIT Bombay 2021’
- IIT Bombay launched its first-ever annual fundraising campaign in India, ‘Cherish IIT Bombay 2021’. As per information shared by the IIT, the funds will be used for the creation of world-class laboratory complexes, modernization of lecture halls, and continuation of awards to attract and retain faculty.
- Donations made to IIT Bombay by corporate bodies and individuals are 100% tax-deductible under section 80G of the Indian Income Tax Act.
Banking and Economy
Nomura projects Indian GDP growth rate at 13.5% in FY22
- Japanese brokerage Nomura has expected India’s GDP will grow at 5 percent in FY22. Nomura also expects the real GDP of India to contract by 6.7 percent in FY21 (2020-21).
Justice Puligoru Venkata Sanjay Kumar sworn-in as Chief Justice of Manipur High Court
- Justice Puligoru Venkata Sanjay Kumar was appointed as Chief Justice of the High Court of Manipur by President Ram Nath Kovind. Before this, he served as a Judge in the Punjab and Haryana High Court.
Assam government appoints Hima Das as Deputy Superintendent of Police
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbanand Sonwal in a meeting Council of Ministers decided to appoint ace sprinter Hima Das as a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) in the state.
- The cabinet also amended the integrated sports policy of the state for the appointment of sportspersons as Class-I and Class-II officers in different departments of the state government.
Awards and Recognitions
Four young women awarded Women Excellence Award 2021 in Science and Tech by SERB
- Four young women fellows of the Indian National Science Academy have been awarded the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) Women Excellence Award 2021 in the national capital for excelling in science and engineering on the International Day of Women and Girls (February 11).
- All four women received a grant of ₹15 lakh for three years to pursue their research ideas.
The four women scientists are
- Shobhna Kapoor (Assistant Professor at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay)
- Antara Banerjee (Scientist B at National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health, Mumbai)
- Sonu Gandhi (Scientist D from National Institute of Animal Biotechnology, Hyderabad)
- Ritu Gupta (Assistant Professor at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Jodhpur)
Books and Authors
Award-Winning Author Meghna Pant’s new book “The Terrible, Horrible, Very Bad Good News”
- Award-winning writer, journalist, and speaker Meghna Pant set to be released her new book titled “The Terrible, Horrible, Very Bad Good News” in April 2021. The book will be published by Penguin Random House India.
Peter Mukerjea pens memoir ‘Starstruck: Confessions of a TV Executive’
- Former media baron Peter Mukerjea has come out along with his memoir ‘Starstruck: Confessions of a TV executive’. The ebook is offered as a recollection of his experiences within the satellite tv for pc tv business in India. He is the former chief executive of Star India.
India tops the world with 11% of global death in road accidents: World Bank report
- India tops the world in road crash deaths and injuries according to a report by the World Bank titled ‘Guide for Road Safety Opportunities and Challenges: Low- and Middle-Income Countries Country Profiles’.
- It has 1 percent of the world’s vehicles but accounts for 11 percent of all road crash deaths, witnessing 53 road crashes every hour killing 1 person every 4 minutes.
Former Governor and High Court Chief Justice M Rama Jois passed away at 88
- Former Chief Justice of the Punjab and Haryana High Court, Justice M Rama Jois has passed away after a prolonged illness. Rama jois was the Chief Justice of the High Court between May and August 1992. He had also served as the Governor of Jharkhand and Bihar and as a member of the Rajya Sabha from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Indo-Pak Wars’ Veteran, ‘Tank Man’ Retired Major General BK Mahapatra Passed Away at 87
- Major General (retired) Basant Kumar Mahapatra, who had participated in the 1962, 1965, and 1971 wars, died at the age of 87. Mahapatra was commissioned into armoured corps (Tanks) of the Indian Army as a Combat Officer and was popularly known as ‘Tank Man’. He was conferred with the prestigious Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM).
Former Argentina President Carlos Menem passed away at 90
- Former Argentine President Carlos Menem died at the age of 90. Carlos was an Argentine lawyer & served as the 44th President from 1989 to 1999. He promoted laws to reform the govt & the economy after his predecessor, Raúl Alfonsín, resigned in the middle of a deep financial crisis caused by hyperinflation.
South Africa’s Faf du Plessis announces retirement from test cricket
- The 36-year-old South Africa batsman Faf du Plessis has announced retirement from test cricket. Du Plessis took over Test captaincy from AB de Villiers in 2016 and led the side in 36 matches.
- He represented South Africa in 69 Tests and scored 4163 runs at an average of 02. He scored 10 centuries and registered his highest score of 199 in 2020.
Indian wicketkeeper-batsman Naman Ojha announces retirement from all forms of cricket
- The 37-year-old India wicketkeeper-batsman Naman Ojha has announced his retirement, from all formats of cricket. Ojha made his first-class debut for Madhya Pradesh in 2000-01 and his international debut for India in
- He holds the record for the most (365) dismissals by a wicketkeeper in the Ranji Trophy.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of February 17, 2021, now from the link given below.