Daily Current Affairs : February 22, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (February 22, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
PM Modi to inaugurate first-ever Khelo India University Games in Odisha
- Prime Minister will declare open the first-ever Khelo India University Games in Odisha through video conferencing. The multi-disciplinary sporting event will take off with a mega launch at the Jawaharlal Nehru Indoor Stadium in Cuttack.
- The event will be attended by several dignitaries and sportspersons, including Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and Union Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju.
- As many as 3,400 athletes from 159 universities across the country will vie for top honours in 17 disciplines, including rugby which is among the six-team events.
- The sports disciplines will include archery, athletics, boxing, fencing, judo, swimming, weightlifting, wrestling, badminton, basketball, football, hockey, table tennis, tennis, volleyball, rugby and kabaddi.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
Shyama Prasad Mukherji National Rurban Mission completes four years
- Fourth Anniversary of the launch of Shyama Prasad Mukherji Rurban Mission (SPMRM) was observed on 21st February 2016, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had launched the Mission with the vision to deliver catalytic interventions to rural areas on the threshold of growth.
- The Mission aims at transforming these Rurban clusters by stimulating local economic development, enhancing basic services and creating well planned Rurban clusters.
Union Ministers Harsimrat Kaur Badal, Smriti Irani jointly inaugurate National Organic Food Festival
- Food Processing Industries Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal and Women and Child Development Minister Smriti Irani jointly inaugurated National Organic Food Festival in New Delhi.
- The three-day festival aims at strengthening organic market and encouraging women entrepreneurs engaged in manufacturing of organic produce.
- Theme of the festival: “Unleashing India’s Organic Market Potential”
Myanmar President U Win Myint will be on 4-day State Visit to India
- President of Myanmar U Win Myint will be on a four-day State Visit to India. Mr. U Win Myint will be accompanied by the First Lady Daw Cho Cho. The visiting dignitary is expected to visit Agra and Bodh Gaya following his official meetings in New Delhi.
PM Modi to inaugurate two-day International Judicial Conference 2020 in New Delhi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate a two-day International Judicial Conference 2020 organised by Supreme Court in New Delhi. Union Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad and Chief Justice Sharad Bobde will also be present on the occasion.
- The theme of the International Judicial Conference 2020 is “Judiciary and the changing world”.
Chitra Bharati Film Festival to begin today at Gujarat University in Ahmedabad
- The three-day festival, known as the Chitra Bharati Film Festival (CBFF) will begin this evening at Gujarat University in Ahmedabad. This will be the third edition of the festival- the first was held in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, in 2016, and the second at Delhi’s Siri Fort Auditorium in 2018.
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani and Bollywood filmmaker Subhash Ghai will inaugurate the CBFF.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
National Museum hosts ‘Historical Gastronomica – The Indus Dining Experience’ exhibition
- National Museum in New Delhi is hosting a unique exhibition on India’s ancient food history called “Historical Gastronomica – The Indus Dining Experience till the 25th of this month that goes back to over 5000 years ago.
- The event is curated jointly by the National Museum and One Station Million Stories (OSMS) – is based on archaeological research, museum artifacts and their characteristics.
President Kovind inaugurates the Huddle 2020 event in Bengaluru
- President Kovind inaugurated the 4th edition of The Huddle, The Hindu’s annual thought conclave, in Bengaluru. The 2-day event would feature 15 sessions & 32 speakers, from the world of politics, business, academics, sports, entertainment and the arts
- 14th President of India: Ram Nath Kovind
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: B. S. Yeddyurappa
- Governor: Vajubhai Vala
Department of Telecommunications launches ‘5G Hackathon’
- Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has launched ‘5G Hackathon’ in association with government, academia and industry stakeholders. Aimed at shortlisting India’s focused cutting-edge ideas that can be converted into workable 5G products and solutions.
- Winners of the various phases will share a total prize pool of 2.5 crore rupees. Minister of State for Communications, E&IT: S. Shamrao Dhotre
Railway customers can now converse in Hindi through ‘ASKDISHA’ chatbot
- In order to resolve queries of railway passengers, the Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation Limited (IRCTC) has now powered voice enabled ‘ASKDISHA’ to converse with customers in Hindi language.
- Railways had introduced AI-based ‘ASKDISHA’ chatbot in 2018
Geological Survey of India discovers gold deposits of over 3,000 tonnes in Sonbhadra district of Uttar Pradesh
- Geological Survey of India (GSI) has discovered gold deposits to the tune of around 3,000 tonnes in Sonbhadra district of Uttar Pradesh, almost five times India’s current reserve of the yellow metal.
- Work on finding gold reserves in Sonbhadra was started almost two decades back in 1992-93 by the GSI, he said, adding that auctioning of these blocks through e-tendering would start soon.
- The deposits in Son Pahadi is estimated to be around 2,943.26 tonnes, while that at Hardi block is around 646.16 kilograms, the official said.
Ministry of MSME launches national level awareness programme
- Union Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises has launched a National Level Awareness Programme (NLAP) 2020. Objective of the NLP is to spread awareness about schemes & activities undertaken by the Ministry & its attached organisations
- MSME Minister of State: Pratap Chandra Sarangi
India ranks 77th on sustainability: UN Report
- India ranked 77th on a sustainability index that considers per capita carbon emissions & 131st on a flourishing ranking that measures the best chance at survival and well-being for children. Report was commissioned by WHO, UNICEF & Lancet medical journal
- Report assessed the capacity of 180 countries.
GMR-Groupe ADP deal for airport business gets Competition Commission nod
- Competition Commission of India has given approval for GMR group’s proposed 49% stake sale in its airport business to France’s Groupe ADP. Clearance is through the green channel, which allows for an automatic system for speedy approval of combinations
- Competition Commission of India is a statutory body
Banking and Technology
Customers will no longer get Rs 2,000 currency notes at Indian Bank ATMs
- According to a circular issued by the lender’s digital banking division on February 17, cash dispensation from Rs 2,000 currency cassettes would be disabled at all ATMs and cash recyclers on March 1
- Customers would no longer get Rs 2,000 denomination notes at Indian Bank ATMs, with the lender advising its branches to immediately stop loading that currency at its ATMs and cash recyclers.
Forex reserves rise by $3.091 bn to record $476.092 bn
- Country’s foreign exchange reserves swelled by $3.091 billion to a lifetime high of $476.092 billion mainly due to a rise in foreign currency assets, according to the RBI data. Country’s reserve position with the IMF declined by $9 mn to $3.590 bn
- Gold reserves rose by $344 million to $29.123 billion
Retired IAS officers Amarjeet Sinha, Bhaskar Khulbe appointed as Advisers to PM
- Retired IAS officers Amarjeet Sinha and Bhaskar Khulbe have been appointed as Advisers to Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Department of Personnel Training, in its order said, the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointments in the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) in the rank and scale of Secretary.
- DoPT in its order said the appointments have been made on contractual basis initially for a period of two years.
Tripura’s Seven-time MP Bajubian Reang passed away
- Tripura seven-time CPI-M parliamentarian, Bajubian Reang passed away at the age of 79 years. He became an MLA in the year 1967 from Congress party & later he joined the CPI (M).
Sakshi Malik wins silver, Vinesh Phogat gets bronze at Asian Wrestling Championship
- Indian women team registered its best-ever performance at the Asian Wrestling Championship returning with eight medals in New Delhi. Sakshi Malik claimed a silver while Vinesh Phogat dominated her bronze medal play-off after losing to Mayu Mukaida.
Ross Taylor becomes first player in the world to play 100 matches in all three formats
- Veteran New Zealand batsman Ross Taylor became the first player in the world to play 100 matches in all three formats of cricket. The landmark achievement came as he took the field against India in the opening Test at Basin Reserve in Wellington.
- Taylor was presented his 100th Test cap by former New Zealand wicket-keeper Ian Smith before the match.
- The 35-year-old played his 100th T20 International against India last month. He has also played 231 ODIs for New Zealand. The right-handed batsman is already his country’s leading run-scorer in Test and ODI.
Pragyan Ojha announces retirement from international, 1st-class cricket
- Indian left-arm spinner Pragyan Ojha announced retirement from international and first-class cricket with immediate effect. The 33-year-old last played for India in 2013 during Sachin Tendulkar’s farewell Test against the West Indies in Mumbai.
- In all, he played 24 Tests between 2009 and 2013 in which he took 113 wickets. From 18 ODIs, he grabbed 21 wickets. He also played six T20 Internationals.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of February 22, 2020 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 7 & 8 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.