Daily Current Affairs: February 23, 24 & 25, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (February 23, 24 & 25, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Harsh Vardhan inaugurates New Institutional Campus at NIPHTR in Navi Mumbai:
- Minister of Science & Technology, Health and Family Welfare and Earth Science Dr. Harsh Vardhan today said that public health should be a subject that needs thorough rejuvenation in India. Dr. Harsh Vardhan was speaking after inaugurating a New Institutional Campus at the National Institute of Public Health Training & Research (NIPHTR) at Navi Mumbai.
- He also said that the centre is in the process of having another 157 medical colleges across the country. Dr. Harsh Vardhan also stated that the centre has over 80 thousand MBBS seats and has improved strength of medical colleges and paramedics and allied health services, public health and mechanism.
Over Rs 50,000 Cr released by centre to farmers under PM-KISAN scheme so far:
- The PM-KISAN scheme launched on 24th February 2019, is to provide income support to all landholding farmers’ families across the country and enable them to meet expenses related to agriculture as well as domestic needs.
- Under the Scheme, six thousand rupees per year is transferred in installments directly into the bank accounts of the farmers.
- Centre has released 50,850 crore rupees to farmers the scheme so far. As on the 20th of this month, 8.46 crores farmer families have been given the benefits.
US Prez Trump’s visit to India is expected to focus on several key areas
- US President Donald Trump’s visit to India is expected to focus on several key areas, including economic and energy ties. Whether in countering terrorism or in ensuring a peaceful and prosperous Indo-Pacific, India and the US have unprecedented convergence of interests. It is a strategic partnership based on shared values and geared towards the 21st century.
- Bilateral trade between India and US is expected to cross 150 billion dollars for the first time this year. Two way merchandise trade stood at around 87 billion dollars. Of this, India’s goods exports to the US were valued at 54 billion dollars.
- The US has emerged as a key partner for India in the field of energy. It is now also India’s 6th largest source of crude oil imports, with hydrocarbon imports rising to 7 billion dollars in the last two years.
Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar launches PM KISAN mobile App; reiterates Govt’s commitment for doubling farmer’s income by 2022
- On the 1st anniversary of launch of Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN), Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar today launched PM KISAN mobile application.
- Mr Tomar reiterated Government’s commitment for doubling farmer’s income by 2022. He said, PM KISAN will play important role in doubling farmer’s income.
- He also said, several initiatives like promoting organic farming and promoting export of agri-products are being done by the Government to boost income of farmers. He said, sufficient budget has been allocated by Government for Agriculture and farmers related schemes.
- Mr Tomar informed that on 29th of this month, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will attend an event on 1st Anniversary of PM KISAN in Chitrakoot in Uttar Pradesh. The Minister said, lakhs of farmers will be given kisan credit card on the occasion.
GSI denies discovery of 3000-tonne gold deposits in UP’s Sonbhadra
- Geological Survey of India (GSI) has said there has been no discovery of gold deposits estimated to be around 3,000 tonnes in Uttar Pradesh’s Sonbhadra district.
- In a release, the GSI clarified that it has not estimated such kind of vast resource of gold deposit in Sonbhadra district. It informed that GSI, Northern region has carried out several exploration works for gold but the results were not encouraging.
- GSI has estimated a probable category resource of 52806.25 tonnes of Ore with 3.03 grams per tonne for a strike length of 170 meters in Sonaphari area of Sonbhadra district.
- It clarified that the total gold which can be extracted from the total resource of 52806.25 tonnes of ore is approximately 160 kg and not 3350 tonnes.
PM Modi, US Prez Trump to jointly address Namaste Trump event at Motera stadium
- US President Donald Trump will arrive in Ahmedabad today on a two-day visit to India. He will be accompanied by his wife Melania, daughter Ivanka, son-in-law Jared Kushner and top brass of his administration. In Ahmedabad, he will visit Sabarmati Ashram and take part in a roadshow with Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The two leaders will jointly address over one lakh people at the Namaste Trump event at Motera cricket stadium, Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- A cultural extravaganza will be organised at the stadium during the Namaste Trump event. US president along with PM Modi will participate in roadshows on his way from the airport to Sabarmati Ashram and from there to the newly-built Motera stadiumDance groups and singers from different parts of the country will perform on stages that are dotting the 22-km route of the the roadshow.
- Bollywood singers Kailash Kher and Parthiv Gohil, and Gujarati folk singers like Kirtidan Gadhvi, Gita Rabari, Purushottam Upadhyay and Sairam Dave will perform at the Motera cricket stadium.
Bengaluru Metro to buy 112 Gen2 elevators
- Otis Elevator Co. announced it has been selected to provide 112 Gen2 elevators for the 2nd phase of the Bengaluru Metro project.
- The Metro projects second phase is expected to be completed by 2023. It will cover 27 stations connecting the city’s manufacturing and tech hubs.
International Judicial Conference was held in New Delhi
International Judicial Conference was held in New Delhi and was addressed by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
- The topic of the one-day conference is “Judiciary and The Changing World”.
- Also, the theme of ‘Gender Just World’ was introduced at the conference.
- They discussed the changes made by GoI to bring gender equality including recruitment of women in military service, changes in the selection process of fighter pilots, and the freedom to work at night in the mines.
- The need for technology to deliver speedy justice was emphasized. The government has made an effort to connect every court of the country to the e-court Integrated Mission Mode Project.
- So far, 1500 obsolete laws have been abolished in the country. Also, many new laws to strengthen the society have been enacted.
- Centre has established National Judicial Data Grid, in order to make court procedures easier.
- The synergy of artificial intelligence (AI) and human conscience is expected to give further impetus to judicial processes in India.
US surpasses China as India’s biggest trading partner at $87.95 billion:
- The US has surpassed China to become India’s top trading partner, showing greater economic ties between the two countries.
- According to the data of the commerce ministry, in 2018-19, the bilateral trade between the US and India stood at $87.95 billion.
- During the period, India’s two-way commerce with China aggregated at $87.07 billion.
US-India to sign defence deal worth $3 billion, says US President
- The United States and India will seal multi-billion dollar defence deals in Delhi on Tuesday, President Donald Trump announced as he addressed the Motera Stadium in Ahmedabad.
- “We will seal defence deals worth $3 billion,” the US President said at the Namaste Trump event in Ahmedabad.
Banking and Business
Six of top-10 Indian firms lose ₹29,487 cr in m-cap, Bharti Airtel worst hit:
- Indian companies, market valuation of Indian firms, Bharti Airtel m-cap, Reliance Industries M-cap, TCS market valuation, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Infosys, BSE, NSE
- Six of the 10 most valued domestic firms suffered a combined erosion of ₹29,487 crore in market valuation last week, with Bharti Airtel emerging as the biggest loser.
- TCS, HDFC, HUL, HDFC Bank and RIL were the other bluechip firms which witnessed a drop in their market capitalisation (m-cap), while Infosys, Bajaj Finance, Kotak Mahindra Bank and ICICI Bank finished with gains.
- Bharti Airtel’s valuation tumbled ₹10,692.9 crore to reach ₹2,97,600.65 crore.
Lotteries to attract uniform 28% GST rate from March 1
- This 28% GST rate will be applicable to state-run and authorised lotteries from March 1, according to a notification.
- The GST Council, led by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, had in December last year decided to increase the rate as well as implement a single rate for lotteries. Buyers of tickets for lotteries would now have to shell out 28 per cent.
- According to notification issued by the revenue department, the GST rate on supply of lotteries has been amended to 14 per cent and a similar percentage will be levied by the states. As a result, total GST on lotteries will increase to 28 per cent.
- The lottery industry had sought a uniform tax rate on lotteries following which a group of ministers were set up to suggest the GST rate.
Microsoft, SBI to create opportunities for underserved youth in BFSI industry:
- Microsoft India announced partnership with SBI Foundation to create opportunities for youth with disabilities in the banking, financial services and insurance (BFSI) sector.
- Through the three-year programme, Microsoft and SBI Foundation, will train youth living with disabilities to better prepare them for integration into the BFSI workforce. It also advances cross-industry advocacy efforts to drive inclusion for and hiring of people living with disabilities.
- In its first year, the programme aims to upskill 500 youth for BFSI jobs across five major geographies –Bengaluru, Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai and the National Capital Region. The programme will be driven in collaboration with various government organisations, industry skilling bodies and non-profit organisations.
SBICAP Ventures vetting 18 realty projects for Rs 3,000-crore funding:
- SBICAP Ventures is vetting last-mile funding to 18 stuck residential projects with a potential disbursal of Rs 3,000 crore. The total value of these projects is Rs 22,000 crore. Irfan Kazi, chief investment officer of SBICAP Ventures, said investment panel of fund had met four times.
- The disbursement in two projects — one in Mumbai and other in Bengaluru — having 640 housing units has been done. The fund had looked at 300 projects across the country, Kazi told media on the sidelines of a real estate summit organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
Acquisition and merger
GMR Infra rallies after CCI nod to partner with Groupe ADP:
- Shares of GMR Infrastructure Ltd (GIL) jumped 12.50% after anti-trust body Competition Commission of India (CCI) approved the company’s proposal to sell 49% stake in its airport business–GMR Airports Ltd (GAL)–to France’s Groupe ADP.
- GIL has signed a share purchase agreement with Groupe ADP, which will hold 49% stake in GAL for an equity consideration of ₹10,780 crore. This will value GAL at ₹22,000 crore.
Science and Technology
5G smartphones to make up 15% of market in 2020: Report
- A research report by Strategy Analytics has claimed that the number of 5G smartphones is expected to grow more than tenfold to reach 199 million shipments worldwide which translates to an estimated 15 per cent of all smartphone shipments, up from just 1 per cent in 2019.
- The report also estimates that China, the United States, South Korea, Japan and Germany will account for 90 per cent of all 5G smartphone sales.
Seven in 10 organisations report hacking attempts via IoT devices: Survey
- According to the survey conducted by Extreme Networks, Seven in 10 organisations have reported either a successful or attempted hack to their systems via their Internet of Things (IoT) devices
- It surveyed 540 IT professionals across industries in North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific, and found that 84 per cent of organisations have IoT devices on their corporate networks.
- The survey also highlighted that enterprises underestimate insider threats: 55 per cent of IT professionals believe the main risk of breaches comes mostly from outside the organisation and over 70 per cent believe they have complete visibility into the devices on the network.
Olympic hockey champion Danson-Bennett retires:
- Great Britain women’s field hockey captain Alex Danson-Bennett announced her retirement from the sport due to head injury.
- The 34-year-old was a member of the British team that won gold at the 2016 Rio Olympics where she was the joint top-scorer.
Russia to host new edition of AIBA World Cup 2020
- Russia will be the first country to host the new format of AIBA Team World Cup in 2020.
- AIBA Executive committee members voted in favour to approve the Russian bid at its meeting in Budapest.
- The tournament will be coinciding with the 75th anniversary of the victory in World War II under the motto “Boxing for peace”.
- The final is scheduled for October in the city of Nizhny Novgorod, Russia. The best national teams all over the world will take part in the edition.
FC Goa become first Indian club to play in AFC Champions League group stage:
FC Goa became the first team India to qualify for the group stage of the AFC (Asian Football Confederation) Champions League 2021 when it defeated Jamshedpur FC in an Indian Super League at the JRD Tata Sports Complex in Jamshedpur, Jharkhand.
National Integration Camp themed Ek Bharat-Shreshth Bharat inaugurated in Sikkim:
- National Integration Camp (NIC) themed Ek Bharat-Shreshth Bharat was inaugurated at the Indian Himalayan Centre for Adventure and Eco-tourism Institute at Chemchey, South Sikkim.
- The camp is being organized by Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan, Sikkim. Lok Sabha MP from Sikkim Indra Hang Subba inaugurated the camp.
- Around 250 participants from 16 states are participating in the four-day national integration camp, which would showcase the vibrance of India’s diversity. With Saikat Sarkar, Parijat Sharma from Chemchey, South Sikkim.
Five-day training course on Vessel Search Technique begins in Chennai
- A five-day training course on Vessel Search Technique being organized by the Indian Coast Guard jointly with the Australian Border Force began in Chennai.
- The programme is set to bolster efforts of both the countries for realizing the common national maritime objectives of ensuring safety and security at sea.
- Indian Coast Guard Eastern Commander Inspector General S Paramesh, Australian Consul General in Chennai Susan Grace, Australian Border Force Counselor Tim Sheppard and officials from the Indian Coast Guard, Customs and the Coastal Security Group of the Tamil Nadu Police participated in the inaugural function.
US President Donald Trump and First Lady visit Taj Mahal in Agra:
- President Donald Trump and his family members visited Taj Mahal at Agra in Uttar Pradesh.
- They spent around one hour at the historic monument. President Trump wrote in the visitor’s book of the Taj that The Taj Mahal inspires awe and it is a timeless testament to the rich and diverse beauty of Indian culture.
- President Trump and his family were received by Governor Anandi Ben Patel and Chief Minister Yogi Adityanth at the airport.
- Thousands of students welcomed them with flags of both countries in their hands along with their route to the hotel. Many cultural troupes also performed all along the way from Airport to hotel showcasing the traditional song and dance to the dignitaries.
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath presented a large portrait of Taj Mahal to President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump, as they departed for Delhi.
Govt approves constitution of 22nd Law Commission:
- Government has formally announced the constitution of the 22nd Law Commission. The law panel advises the government on complex legal issues and has a term of three years.
- With the president giving his nod for the creation of the Law Commission, government will now appoint a chairperson to head the panel and other members.
- The chairperson usually is a retired Supreme Court judge or a retired chief justice of a high court. The term of the previous commission had ended on August 31, 2018. Union Cabinet had last week given its nod to reconstitute the panel.
Andhra CM Jagan Mohan launches ‘Jagananna Vasthi Deevena’ scheme to provide financial assistance to Students:
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy launched another scheme named after himself, called ‘Jagananna Vasthi Deevena’, under which a financial assistance of Rs 2,300 crore would be provided to students pursuing various post- intermediate courses to meet hostel and mess expenses.
- The Chief Minister launched the programme in Vizianagaram district in north coastal Andhra. In all 11,87,904 students pursuing ITI, polytechnic, under-graduate and post-graduate education would benefit from the scheme, according to the Chief Minister’s Office.
- While ITI students would get Rs 10,000 each, polytechnic students would get Rs 15,000 and under-graduates and post-graduates Rs 20,000 each, according to the CMO.
- A unique bar-coded smart card would be issued to each beneficiary to draw the benefits of the JVD scheme. The card contains complete details of the student.
J&K to set up Tribal Research Institute by next fiscal year
- Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir will set up a Tribal Research Institute (TRI) by next fiscal year to promote tribal practices and their art, culture and languages.
- Secretary Cooperative and Tribal Affairs, Abdul Majid Bhat said in Srinagar that Tribal Research Institute will be a centre of excellence.
- He said that Central government has provided additional funds to streamline the pattern and establishment of TRI in Jammu and Kashmir. He said Tribal Welfare Department initiated a slew of initiatives to promote language and cognitive language skills among tribal population children at the primary school level.
Ek Bharat Shreshta Bharat: J&K Youth group visits Tamil Nadu:
- Under Ek Bharat Shreshta Bharat programme, a group of 46 youth including seven girls drawn from 11 districts of Jammu and Kashmir was is in Tamil Nadu on a 13-day visit to the paired state.
- The tour of the youth under the programme concluded with an impressive and colourful closing ceremony at the conference hall of Youth Hostel in Adyar, Chennai.
- The broad objectives of Ek Bharat Shrestha Bharat include celebrating the Unity in Diversity of our nation and to promote the spirit of national integration through engagement between all states and union territories.
Advisor to LG J&K, Farooq Khan flags off youth exchange programme ‘Watan Ko Jano’:
- Advisor to Lieutenant Governor, Farooq Khan flagged off a group of students from across Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh Union Territories for a ten day tour ‘Watan Ko Jano’, a youth exchange programme.
- The tour, being participated by 200 students from different areas of J&K and Ladakh, has been organised by Jammu and Kashmir Rehabilitation Council, Department of Social Welfare under the aegis of Department of JK Affairs, Government of India.
- During the tour, the children will get an opportunity to visit monuments and places of historical and cultural significance in Delhi, Jaipur, Ajmer and Pushkar.
International conference on EMMDA at NCMRWF, Noida
- An international conference on “Ensemble Methods in Modelling and Data Assimilation (EMMDA)“ began on 24 February 2020 at NCMRWF, Noida, India.
- The conference will be held from 24-26 February. It was inaugurated by Dr.Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Science and Technology, Earth Sciences.
Bangladesh records sharp decline in Child malnutrition: UNICEF Survey
- The child malnutrition rate in Bangladesh has declined sharply over the last six years. The finding was reported in the Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey (MICS) 2019, jointly conducted by the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS) and UNICEF.
- The rate of chronic malnutrition among children measured by the stunting level among them has come down from 42 percent in 2013 to 28 percent in 2019.
- The percentage of underweight children below 5 also declined from about 32 percent to 22.6 percent over the same period.
- The infant mortality rate has also declined from 46 to 34 per thousand live births between 2012-13 and 2019.
- The survey reports that the percentage of children of school entry age who enter the first grade of primary school marked a sharp upward trend from 33 percent in 2012-13 to 61.4 percent in 2019.
- However, the availability of Children’s books declined from 8.8 percent to 6.1 percent during this period. The incidence of violent disciplining of children has shown an upward trend during this period.
- The data for the Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey (MICS) 2019 was collected between January and June of 2019.
‘G20 finance ministers’, central bankers to meet in Riyadh:
- Riyadh, Saudi Arabia is hosting the inaugural G20 finance ministers and central bank governors’ meeting on Feb. 22. The ministers and governors will come from G20 countries and invited countries, as well as heads of international and regional organizations.
- The meeting will be chaired by Saudi Finance Minister Mohammed Al-Jadaan and Ahmed Alkholifey, chairman of the Saudi Arabian Monetary Authority.
- Ministers and banking officials will discuss the global economic outlook and possible policy responses to support growth and safeguard against downside risks.
- They will also discuss the priorities of the Saudi G20 presidency under the theme of “Realizing Opportunities of the 21st Century for All.”
Banking and Business
NABARD sanctions over Rs 400 cr to boost infrastructure in J&K:
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has sanctioned an amount of over 400 crore rupees to the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir during the current financial year for giving boost to the infrastructure in the rural areas.
- An amount of 143.66 crore rupees has been sanctioned for implementation of 38 water supply schemes. The sanction includes augmentation of 27 existing water supply schemes and construction of 11 new water supply schemes. These water supply schemes are aimed at providing safe and potable drinking water to rural households. The schemes will benefit over 3.5 lakh people across 86 villages in 17 districts. An amount of 47.11 crore rupees has been sanctioned towards improving the Animal and Sheep Husbandry sectors.
- It includes construction of Cattle Breeding Farm at Chatha Jammu. NABARD has also sanctioned 209.87 crore rupees for construction of 82 rural roads and 3 bridges earlier this year.
- The construction of roads and bridges would provide all weather improved connectivity to 461 remote villages. The funding is a part of the NABARD’s Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF) which is aimed at augmenting rural infrastructure.
Awards and Recognition
48 sportspersons conferred with State Govt’s prestigious Shiv Chhatrapati Award in Maharashtra:
- In Maharashtra, 48 talented sportspersons were conferred with State Government’s prestigious Shiv Chhatrapati Award for the year 2018-19 in a glittering ceremony held at Gateway of India in South Mumbai.
- The recipient included 23 sportsmen and 25 women athletes including Kabaddi player Rishank Devadiga, wrestler Abhijit Katke and Hockey player Akash Chikte among others.
- Five coaches were bestowed with awards for best coach/mentor, while wrestling coach Pandharinath Pathare from Pune was honored with the the lifetime achievement award.
- Chhatrapati Awards in adventure category and for para athletes to Prabhat Koli for sea swimming.
- Chief Minister Uddhav Thackrey and Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar presented the awards to the winners.
- On the occassion, Chief Minister also launched Go Girl scheme. Sportsmen from the state, who took part in Khelo India Youth Games in January and won, were also felicitated at the awards function.
Adline Castelino wins Miss Diva Universe 2020:
- Adline Castelino has been crowned as the winner of LIVA Miss Diva Universe 2020 competition held at Mumbai.
- Castelino, who hails from Mangalore, was crowned by Vartika Singh, the winner of the previous edition.
- She was closely followed by Aavriti Choudhary of Jabalpur who was bestowed with the title of Miss Diva Supranational by her predecessor Shefali Sood. Pune’s Neha Jaiswal was crowned Miss Diva Runner-up by Roshni Sheoran.
- Castelino will go on to represent the country at Miss Universe later this year, while Aavriti Choudhary will be India’s contender for Miss Supranational pageant.
- The jury for the pageant included actor and former Miss Universe Lara Dutta, Anntonia Porsild, Asha Bhat, designers Shivan Bhatiya, Narresh Kukreja and Nikhil Mehra, and actors Yami Gautam, Aditya Roy Kapur and Anil Kapoor.
CSIR-CDRI Scientist Dr. Niti Kumar gets SERB Women Excellence Award-2020:
- Dr Niti Kumar, Senior Scientist from Division of Molecular Parasitology and Immunology, CSIR-CDRI, Lucknow has received SERB Women Excellence Award-2020. Award will be conferred by the President of India during National Science Day Celebrations on February 28, 2020, in Vigyan Bhawan.
Manmohan singh released the books “who is bharat mata ” in Both English and Kannada versions:
- Former Prime Minister of India Dr Manmohan Singh released the book ‘Who is Bharat Mata’ by Prof Purushottam Agrawal and its Kannada translation ‘Yaaru Bharat Maate?‘ by Prof K E Radhakrishna.
- The book has been published by Swapna Book House, Bengaluru in association with Delhi Karnataka Sangha.
Science and Tech
Ministry of Railways launches online Chatbot ASKDISHA:
- Ministry of Railways upgraded services of Artificial Intelligence (AI) based ASKDISHA chatbot to converse with Railway customers in the Hindi language.
- It aims to resolve queries of railway passengers over the internet pertaining to various services offered. IRCTC also plans to launch ASKDISHA in more languages along with many other additional features in the near future.
Birla Estates launches interactive AI powered ChatBot LIDEA on WhatsApp:
- Birla Estates recently launched an interactive AI Powered ChatBot solution LIDEA for its customers on WhatsApp. The solution is aimed at providing information of its projects to users who are evaluating residential developments of Birla Estates, says the company.
- LIDEA is conceived to provide authentic information and answers the queries around Birla Estates developments and debuts with its Whitefield, Bengaluru project- Birla Alokya.
- The solution is built to be accessible on WhatsApp and will be accessible 24×7.
India to host Commonwealth Shooting and Archery Championships in January 2022:
- India will host the Commonwealth Shooting and Archery Championships in January 2022. The medals from the two events will be counted for ranking of competing nations at the Birmingham Games. However, the medals will be added to the final tally one week after the conclusion of the Games.
- The Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) announced this decision after the three-day Executive Board meeting in London yesterday. The two events will be held in Chandigarh in January 2022 while the Birmingham Commonwealth Games is scheduled from 27th of July to 7th of August, 2022.
- The decision is being considered a big win for India after IOA threatened to boycott the 2022 Birmingham Games for dropping shooting from the roster in July last year. But, following a visit by CGF President Louise Martin and CEO David Grevemberg in November last, the IOA withdrew its warning during the Annual General Body Meeting in December.
Ladakh all set to host first-ever Khelo India Winter Games:
- The Union Territory of Ladakh is all set to host the first-ever Khelo India Winter Games. In the presence of Ladakh Lieutenant Governor R K Mathur, Union Minister for Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju will inaugurate the games on Tuesday, 25th Feb at NDS Indoor Ice Hockey Rink in Leh.
- About 1,700 athletes of different ages, from Leh and Kargil districts of Ladakh, will compete in the Khelo India.
- Ladakh Winter Games at 10 blocks, district and then at UT level. Under Khelo India, in the first edition of Winter Games in the country, the players will compete in ice hockey, figure skating and speed skating events.
India’s 13-year old Grandmaster D Gukesh wins 34th Cannes Open:
- In Chess, India’s 13-year old Grandmaster D Gukesh emerged champion in the 34th Cannes Open in France. Gukesh defeated Harutyun Bargseghyan of the host nation in the final round to end with 7.5 points. Gukesh, who last year became the world’s second youngest Grandmaster ever, beat the Frenchman in 50 moves to emerge clear winner on Saturday.
- The Tamil Nadu player had last week won his first open tournament, bagging top honors in the Hillerod 110th Anniversary Open event in Denmark.
- He remained unbeaten in the tournament and posted wins over top-seeded Chongsheng Zeng of China and Bargseghyan among others.
Overview of Asian Wrestling Championship 2020 held in New Delhi:
- The latest edition of Asian Wrestling Championships in New Delhi, in which India rack up a record haul of 20 medals across all three formats (Men’s freestyle, Men’s Greco-Roman and Women’s freestyle).
- Japan topped the medal tally with 16 medals( 8 Gold, 4 Silver, 4 Bronze).While India finished 3rd rank with 20 medals( 5 Gold, 6 Silver, 9 Bronze).
Indian Gold Medal winners:
|1||Ravi Kumar Dahiya||Men’s freestyle- 57kg||Gold|
|2||Sunil Kumar||Men’s Greco-Roman-87 kg||Gold|
|3||Pinki||Women’s freestyle-55 kg||Gold|
|4||Sarita Mor||Women’s freestyle- 59 kg||Gold|
|5||Divya Kakran||Women’s freestyle- 68 kg||Gold|
ICC bans Oman player Yousuf Abdulrahim Al Balushi from all forms of cricket for 7 years:
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has banned Oman player Yousuf Abdulrahim Al Balushi from all forms of cricket for seven years for his involvement in trying to fix matches.
- Al Balushi accepted four charges of breaching the ICC Anti-Corruption Code. The charges are all related to the ICC men’s T20 World Cup Qualifiers 2019 held in the United Arab Emirates.
- According to an ICC statement, Al Balushi breached Article 2.1.1 of the Anti-Corruption Code – being party to an agreement or effort to fix or contrive in any way the result, progress, conduct or any other aspect of matches. Besides, he also breached Article 2.1.4, Article 2.4.4 and Article 2.4.7 all relating to corrupt practices.
Former India footballer Chatterjee passes away
- Former Indian footballer Ashok Chatterjee died recently. Chatterjee was part of the bronze medal winning squad in the Merdeka Cup in 1965 and 1966.
- Chatterjee, who made 30 appearances for the Senior National Team, made his international debut when he came on as a second-half substitute for PK Banerjee against Japan in the Merdeka Cup in 1965. He scored 10 goals for India.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of February 22, 2020 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 7 & 8 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.