DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 26, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (February 26, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
New Zealand Deputy Prime minister and Foreign Affairs Minister arrive on four-day India visit
- Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Affairs Minister of New Zealand Winston Peters arrived in New Delhi on a four-day visit to India.
- He will attend the inaugural ceremony of New Zealand Centre at IIT Delhi and will give a speech on Indo Pacific at the Indian Council of World Affairs.
- The Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Affairs Minister of New Zealand will reach Mumbai to attend an event at Bombay Stock Exchange.
- Capital: Wellington
- Currency: New Zealand dollar
- Prime Minister: Jacinda Ardern
Shri Nityanand Rai presides over the Valedictory Session of 1st ‘National Conference on Coastal Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience (CDRR&R) – 2020’
- Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, Shri Nityanand Rai presided over the valedictory session of the 1st ‘National Conference on Coastal Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience (CDRR&R) – 2020’, organised by the National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM), in New Delhi.
Madhya Pradesh becomes the first state to launch a unified vehicle registration card
- Madhya Pradesh has become the first state in the country to introduce the unified registration card and the second state to launch the unified driving license after Uttar Pradesh.
- Chief Minister Kamal Nath distributed the unified cards, including vehicle registration and driving license in a function held in Bhopal.
- The unified smart cards for driving license and vehicle registration will each have a QR code that will help in verifying authenticity of the data printed on the cards.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Kamal Nath
- Governor: Lal Ji Tandon
MoS HRD Shri Sanjay Dhotre inaugurates the exhibition on clean air technologies at IIT Delhi
- Union Minister of State for Human Resource Development Shri Sanjay Dhotre inaugurated the exhibition organised by Centre of Excellence for Research on Clean Air technologies at the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi.
- The exhibition showcases clean air technologies developed by IIT Bombay, IIT Ropar, IIT (ISM) Dhanbadand IIT Delhi. IIT Delhi showcased the work it had carried out in the area of clean air through start-ups incubated at IIT Delhi namely Aerogram and Kriya Labs.
16th Session of the Joint Ministerial Commission between India and Australia
- 16th Session of the Joint Ministerial Commission (JMC) between India and Australia was convened in New Delhi on 24th February 2020. The Session was co-chaired by, Minister of Railways and Commerce & Industry Shri Piyush Goyal.
- India and Australia agree to enhance bilateral trade and investment through the revival of the bilateral CECA negotiations and harmonize standards and regulations on imported products.
- Work on mutual recognition of educational qualifications of the two countries.
Goa ‘Carnival 2020’ kicks off in Panaji
- Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant flagged off the Carnival 2020 float parade in Panaji. Large number of locals and tourist throng the annual Goa Carnival, which is the major traditional Catholic festival celebrated in Goa.
- Capital: Panaji
- Chief Minister: Pramod Sawant
- Governor: Satya Pal Malik
Govt aims to make Chhattisgarh a steel hub of the country: Dharmendra Pradhan
- Union Minister for Petroleum, Natural Gas and Steel Dharmendra Pradhan has said that the government aims to make Chhattisgarh a steel hub of the country.
- Steel industry has an important role to play in making India a five trillion-dollar economy by 2024.
- He said this in the visit to Bhilai Steel Plant, Chhattisgarh.
- Capital: Raipur
- Chief Minister: Bhupesh Baghel
- Governor: Anusuiya Uikey
The dolphin population in Odisha’s Gahirmatha halves: Annual census
- The Forest Department of the Odisha State Government conducted a census at Chilika lake to count the number of dolphins at the Gahirmatha Marine Sanctuary in Odisha.
- According to the report, the dolphin count came down to 233 in 2020 from 259 in 2019.
- The Sanctuary is a part of Bhitarkanika National Park of Odisha.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
Haryana, Uttarakhand lead in Direct Benefit Transfer payouts
- West Bengal emerged as the worst in ratings prepared for the first time by Centre regarding Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) pay-outs.
- Haryana & Uttarakhand emerged as the best states at 1st and second positions, respectively
- Central DBT covers as many as 439 schemes run by 56 ministries.
CSR: Adani Foundation ties up with Lifology
- Adani Foundation launched a unique CSR (Corporate social responsibility) activity among Kerala’s coastal communities in association with Lifology.com.
- The project aims to provide career-building opportunities to students from less developed coastal areas using the Lifology.com platform.
Ministry of Corporate Affairs Secretary launches “SPICe+” to improve Ease of Doing Business in the country
- Injeti Srinivas inaugurated the SPICe+ Web Form as part of govt’s Ease of Doing Business initiatives. It would offer 10 services by 3 Central Govt Ministries-Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Ministry of Labour & Dept of Revenue in the Ministry of Finance.
- It also includes Maharashtra State Government.
Shri Pralhad Joshi lays foundation stone of Crusher and Conveyor System at NALCO, ODISHA
- Union Minister of Coal and Mines, Shri Pralhad Joshi laid foundation stone of Crusher and Conveyor System at NALCO’s Mining & Refinery (M&R) Complex in Damanjodi, Odisha.
- The project is expected to be completed by April 2022 and would cost around Rs. 483 crores.
- Government aim to reach a $5 trillion economy by 2024.
NTPC’s acquisition of entire stake in NEEPCO, THDC India gets CCI nod
- CCI gave nod to acquisition of government’s entire stake in THDC India and North Eastern Electric Power Corporation Ltd (NEEPCO) by NTPC Ltd.
- NTPC will acquire 100% of the issued & paid-up share capital of the NEEPCO and 74.5% stake in THDC India.
- Competition Commission of India (CCI) chairman-Ashok Kumar Gupta
3,000-kilometer-long power grid from Myanmar-Thailand to India
- Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) is working on connecting about 3,000-kilometre long power grid from Myanmar-Thailand to India.
- It was announced by the Energy Adviser to the Prime Minister of Bangladesh Dr Tawfiq-E-Elahi Chowdhury while inaugurating the energy conference of BIMSTEC in Dhaka.
- BIMSTEC is a regional grouping with seven countries from South and Southeast Asia including Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Nepal and Bhutan.
Tech Mahindra to acquire Zen3 Infosolutions for Rs 460cr
- IT company Tech Mahindra has signed an agreement to acquire 100 per cent stake in US-based Zen3 Infosolutions for $64 million (Rs 460 crore) in an all-cash deal.
- The company was founded in the year 2013. Zen 3 Headquartered in Seattle, Washington.
- Tech Mahindra CEO: C. P. Gurnani.
UNSC renews its sanctions regime on Yemen for another year
- United Nations Security Council has renewed its sanctions regime on Yemen for another year, after tense negotiations between Britain and Russia.
- Thirteen countries eventually adopted the London-drafted resolution on the sanctions, which now are in effect through February 2021.
- United Nations Security Council Headquarters: New York, United States
Birla Estates launches interactive AI-powered ChatBot LIDEA on WhatsApp
- Birla Estates recently launched an interactive AI Powered ChatBot solution LIDEA for its customers on WhatsApp.
- The solution is aimed at providing information of its projects to users who are evaluating residential developments of Birla Estates.
- John McCarthy is one of the “founding fathers” of AI.
ExxonMobil inks cooperation pact with IndianOil and Chart Industries
- ExxonMobil inked a letter of cooperation with US’ Chart Industries Inc. & Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOCL)for supplying liquified natural gas (LNG) by by road, rail and waterways to areas not connected by physical pipelines.
- India is the world’s third-largest oil importer.
Science and Technology
ISRO to launch GISAT-1 on 05 March
- Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV-F10) will launch Geo Imaging Satellite (GISAT-1) from the Second Launch Pad of Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) SHAR, Sriharikota. The launch is tentatively scheduled on March 05, 2020.
- Weighing about 2275 kg, GISAT-1 is a state-of-the-art agile Earth observation satellite that will be placed in a Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit by GSLV-F10.
Indian-origin minister Suella Braverman sworn in as UK’s Attorney General
- Indian-origin Suella Braverman, appointed the UK’s new Attorney General in British Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s reshuffled Cabinet earlier this month, was formally sworn in for the post at a ceremony at the Royal Courts of Justice in London.
- The 39-year-old minister, a barrister and Cambridge University law graduate who specialised in public law and judicial review, said her priority will be to restore confidence in the justice system.
Michael Miebach is Mastercard new CEO, Banga moves to executive chairman
- Mastercard’s chief executive officer of 10 years, Ajay Banga, will step down at the start of the next year, the company said, and be replaced by Chief Product Officer Michael Miebach.
- Ajay Banga, who took charge of the company just after the 2008-09 financial crisis. India-born Banga will take on the role of executive chairman, while Miebach will become the company’s president on March.
Riek Machar sworn in as first Vice President in South Sudan
- Riek Machar sworn in as 1st Vice President in South Sudan. Transition govt will serve for 36 months. President Salva Kiir called the official ending of the war & said peace is now irreversible as the new govt was formed after more than a year of delays.
- Capital– Juba.
- Currency– Pound.
- President– Salva Kiir Mayardit
Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad Resigned
- Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad resigned, and the cabinet was dissolved, plunging the Southeast Asian country into chaos less than two years after the 94-year-old leader took office in a historic election.
- Capital: Kuala Lumpur
- Currency: Malaysian ringgit
- Prime minister: Mahathir bin Mohamad
Egypt’s former President Mohammed Hosni Mubarak, who ruled country for 30 years passes away
- Egypt’s former President Mohammed Hosni Mubarak, who ruled the country for 30 years, died. He was 91. A former air force chief, Mubarak became Vice President of Egypt on 14 October 1981.
‘Human computer’ Katherine Johnson dies at 101
- NASA mathematician Katherine Johnson, whose calculations helped get the first Americans to space & back safely died.
- National Aeronautics & Space Administration Founded:29 July 1958.
Daredevil and Flat Earth theorist Mike Hughes dies in rocket crash
- Daredevil & Flat Earth theorist Michael “Mad Mike” Hughes died in a rocket crash. Hughes, 64, wanted to prove the Flat Earth theory by taking photographs of the Earth from a homemade rocket.
J&K bags gold in 6th National Ice Stock sports Championship at Ice Rink in Gulmarg
- Jammu and Kashmir, the hosts bagged gold medal in the 6th National Ice Stock Sports Championship organized at Ice Rink in Gulmarg. Two hundred participants from 18 different states across the country participated in the three-day event which concluded.
- The event was organized by J&K Ice Stock Sports Association under the aegis of Indian Ice Stock Sports Federation and sponsored by J&K Tourism Department.
- During the competition in team target event, J&K bagged gold, Haryana bagged silver while Maharashtra and Bihar bagged bronze medals.
Savitribai Phule Pune University tops tally with 14 medals in Khelo India University Games
- Khelo India University Games in Odisha, Savitribai Phule Pune University was on top with 14 medals including seven gold and two silver medals on the fifth day.
- Punjab University gave a tough competition by winning 18 medals including six gold and seven silver medals while Jain University, Karnataka claimed the third position with total of 12 medals including six gold and five silver medals.
India working to be in top ten countries in medal tally in 2028 Los Angeles Olympics: Kiren Rijiju
- Union Youth Affairs and Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju said, India is working to be in top ten countries in medal tally in 2028 Los Angeles Olympics.
- Sports Minister inaugurated Khelo India Ladakh Winter Games – 2020 in NDS Indoor Stadium Ice Hockey rink in Leh.
- The Minister informed already 62 sports persons in various fields are qualified for Tokyo Olympics in July 2020 and some more will be eligible by May, to send a largest contingent with winnability from the country.
Achanta Sharath Kamal, Sathiyan Gnanasekaran win silver at Hungarian Open
- Indian men’s doubles pair of Achanta Sharath Kamal and Gnanasekaran Sathiyan settled for a silver medal at the ITTF World Tour Hungarian Open after losing the summit clash to German combination of Benedikt Duda and Patrick Franziska at Budapest, Hungary.
- Sharath won a bronze with Manika Batra in mixed doubles.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of February 26, 2020 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 7 & 8 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.