DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : May 12, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (May 12 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Nurses Day- May 12:
- Every year International Nurses Day is celebrated on 12 May to commemorate the anniversary of Florence Nightingale’s birthday. This day also celebrates the contribution done by the nurses to society around the world.
- The theme for 2020: “A Voice to Lead – Nursing the World to Health”.
MP Home Minister launches country’s first ever ‘FIR Aapke Dwar’ Yojana:
- Madhya Pradesh is the first state in the country to launch the scheme. According to the scheme people need not be required to visit a police station to lodge an FIR. It has been started as a pilot project in 23 Police Stations.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chauhan
- Governor: Lal Ji Tandon
Atal Pension Yojana marks 5 years of implementation:
- Atal Pension Yojana (APY) was launched in 2015 by PM Modi with an objective of delivering old age income security particularly to the workers in the unorganised sector and Government providing a guarantee of minimum pension after 60 years of age.
Education dept with Doordarshan starts online classes for School children:Jharkhand
- The State Education Department & Doordarshan started online classes & educational programs to provide education to students of the state through video & thematic lectures. The lectures are designed for students from class 1 to 12.
- Classes to be available online on YouTube channel of Doordarshan
National Gallery of Modern Art launches a virtual program ‘NGMA Ke Sangrah Se’ to showcase artworks:
- National Gallery of Modern Art (NGMA) New Delhi, has launched a virtual program called “NGMA KE SANGRAH SE” to showcase an iconic and rare collection of artifacts from its repository.
- The event is based on various weekly/ daily themes & for the current week, the theme is ‘Artist by Artists’ and dedicated it to Poet Rabindranath Tagore, whose 159th birth anniversary was celebrated on 7th May 2020.
Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ launches Central University of Odisha helpline ‘Bharosa’ to help students in distress:
- Union HRD Minister launched the Central University of Odisha Helpline ‘Bharosa’ to relieve distress of student community during the pandemic. The helpline aims at providing Cognitive Emotional Rehabilitation Services to all University Students of Odisha.
Banking and Economy
FY21 fiscal deficit likely at 5.8%, growth to slip to 0.5% says report:
- Bank of America estimated the fiscal deficit to come at 8% of the GDP in FY21 as against the budget target of 3.5%. It has also revised down their GDP growth estimate to 0.5% for the current fiscal year, as against the earlier estimate of 1.5%.
Science and Technology
Parakh: DRDO- DFRL’s mobile microbial containment lab handed over to MMCRI:
- Defence Food Research Laboratory (DFRL), an Indian defence laboratory of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), has handed over an innovative, state of the art Mobile Microbial Containment (BSL-3) Laboratory ‘PARAKH’ to the Mysuru Medical College and Research Institute (MMCRI) to test samples of coronavirus (Covid-19).
Shri Indu Shekhar Chaturvedi assumes charge as Secretary, Ministry of New & Renewable Energy:
- Shri Indu Shekhar Chaturvedi (IAS) assumed charge as new Secretary, Ministry of New & Renewable Energy. He succeeded Shri Anand Kumar in the Ministry who earlier took charge Secretary, Ministry of Culture.
- He has worked with the Govt of Jharkhand & Govt of India.
Awards and Recognitions:
Sania Mirza Becomes First Indian to Win the Fed Cup Heart Award:
- Sania Mirza played an integral role in India securing a first-ever place in the Fed Cup She won the doubles match & helped secure a win over Indonesia. She also received $ 2,000 which she donated to the relief fund.
- She clinched the women’s doubles title at Hobart International.
Journalist Siddharth Varadarajan among recipients of Deutsche Welle Freedom of Speech Award:
- Indian journalist Siddharth Varadarajan was one of 17 recipients of the Freedom of Speech Award presented by German public news outlet Deutsche Welle, for showing “outstanding commitment to human rights and freedom of expression in the media”. The announcement came on World Press Freedom Day.
Bengaluru airport voted as best regional airport in India & Central Asia:
- The Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru has won this year’s SKYTRAX Award for Best Regional Airport in India and Central Asia. It was voted as the best Regional Airport for the third time in four years at the 2020 World Airport Awards.
- Previously, this airport was adjudged the best in 2011 & 2012.
Singapore Changi Airport crowned the “World’s Best Airport”:
- For the eighth consecutive year, Singapore’s Changi Airport has been named the world’s best at the awards run by research firm Skytrax. Asian airports dominated the top 10, with Japan’s 4 of the country’s airports nominated for the top award.
Former Minister Ratnakar Rao passes away:
- Congress veteran and former minister Juvvadi Ratnakar Rao passed away due to age-related illness.
- Ratnakar Rao was elected to Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly thrice in 1989, 1999 and 2004 from Buggaram assembly constituency and served as a Minister for Endowments between 2006 and 2009.
Paralympics silver medallist Deepa Malik announces retirement:
- Paralympics silver medallist Deepa Malik announced her retirement to hold her post as the President of the Paralympic Committee of India in accordance with the National Sports Code.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.