DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 5, 2019
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 5, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (February 5,2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness , Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Assam tops in budgetary practices followed by states :
- According to a survey by Transparency International, Assam tops in the ranking of best practices followed by states in budget formulation.
- Assam is the only state which has published a citizens budget in the public domain and Assam government is only government to conduct budget awareness campaign across 17 districts.
- Assam was followed by Andhra Pradesh and Odisha while Meghalaya, Manipur, and Punjab were figured at lower positions.
Kerala State sets up Price Monitoring and Research Unit :
- Kerala has become the first State to set up a Price Monitoring and Research Unit (PMRU).
- This unit will track violation of prices of essential drugs and medical devices under the Drugs Price Control Order (DPCO).
- The move comes more than five years after the National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) proposed such a system for the States and the Union Territories.
Headquarters: New Delhi, India
CM: Pinarayi Vijayan,
Governor: Palaniswamy Sathasivam.
Kala Ghoda Arts Festival 2019 to start in Mumbai :
- The Kala Ghoda festival, India’s largest multi-cultural street festival begins in Mumbai to celebrate its 20 years of art and culture through cinema, theatre, dance, literature, and sculpture.
- This year also marks 150 years of Mahatama Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary, and KGAF aims to pay respect to him as well.
Chairman of Kala Ghoda Association – Maneck Davar
1.38 lakh MSME Projects set up by women entrepreneurs :
- Women entrepreneurs have set up around 1.38 lakhs MSME (Micro, small and Medium Enterprises) projects under Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP) scheme since inception .
- Under PMEGP scheme, women entrepreneurship has been privileged to have a special category and are granted to 25% in urban areas and 35% subsidies in rural areas for project set up.
CM Announces KALIA Students’ Scholarship Scheme :
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched a scholarship scheme named ‘KALIA Chhatravritti Yojana‘, for the children of farmers under Krushak Assistance for Livelihood and Income Augmentation (KALIA) scheme in Keonjhar district.
- Under this scheme, the beneficiaries will be provided with scholarships to pursue higher education in professional courses at free of cost.Children of farmers who have taken admission at Government Professional colleges on merit basis are eligible for this scheme.
Governor: Ganeshi Lal
Chief minister: Naveen Patnaik
Twelveth Regional Standards Conclave held in Odisha :
- Twelveth Regional Standards Conclave was held in Bhubaneswar (Odisha) that took place on 1st Feb on the occasion of 4th day of the trade fair.
- This conclave was organized by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) in collaboration with the Department of Commerce, Government of India, MSME Department of the Odisha, National Accreditation Board of Certification Bodies (NABCB), Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), Centre for Research in International Trade (CRIT) and Export Inspection Council (EIC).
Capital – Bhubaneswar
Chief Minister – Naveen Pathak
National Foundation for Communal Harmony organized a special workshop held in Bengaluru :
- The National Foundation for Communal Harmony (NFCH) organized a special workshop for 42 Youth in the age group of 15 to 22 years who have been victims of communal violence in the past under the Know My India Programme in Bengaluru.
- The programme was organized by the Art of Living Foundation.Youth interacted with Gurudev Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, a spiritual leader.
A music and dance festival ‘Sopan 2019’ – Festival for young artists:
- The 6-day long music and dance festival to encourage young artists to take up traditional art took place in New Delhi.
- It was Organised by Sahitya Kala Parishad and the New Delhi government, in partnership with New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC).
- Young artistes such as Odissi dancers Madhur Gupta and Premananda Sahoo, vocalist Shivam Bhardwaj, percussionists Aamir Hussan and Amaan Jamil, and Kathak dancers Mrinalini among others will perform during the musical extravaganza.
US pulls out of Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces treaty with Russia :
- The United States of America pulls out of Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces treaty with Russia.This was announced by the US on 20 October 2018 .Russia also pulls out of treaty on 2nd February 2019.
- Intermediate Range Nuclear Forces treaty was between the United States of America and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics on the elimination of their Intermediate-Range and Shorter-Range Missiles.
- This treaty was signed on 8 December 1987 in Washington D.C. by President Ronald Reagan and General Secretary Mikhail Gorbachev.
President: Valadimir Putin
Indian Online Companies rank 11th for overseas expansion :
- Stripe,a San Francisco-based online payment processing firm that analyses Companies that do business online released the survey for the 2019, which placed India in the 11th position for its extensive growth and overseas expansion.
- In the world doing business online, Singapore and Hong kong made its lead to the top position.
BANKING & ECONOMY
Fitch Group Arm Projects Fiscal Deficit To Slip To 3.6% In 2019-20 :
- Fitch Solutions, the research arm of Fitch Group, projected the government’s fiscal deficit to overshoot the budgeted target by 0.2 per cent to 3.6 percent of GDP in 2019-20 fiscal.
- 2019-20 Budget appears to show a strong populist bent in the run up to the General election due by May 2019.
- Accordingly, Fitch Solutions revised its forecast for the central government fiscal deficit to come in at 3.6 percent of GDP in FY 2019-20, from 3 percent previously, which reflects our expectation for a wider fiscal deficit in FY 2019-20 versus FY2018-19.
Two RRBs set to merge to form Tamil Nadu Grama Bank :
- Two regional rural banks (RRB) — Pallavan Grama Bank and Pandyan Grama Bank — will be amalgamated into a single RRB in Tamil Nadu, according to a statement from Indian Bank.The integration will be effective from April 1.
- Pallavan Grama Bank is sponsored by Indian Bank and Pandyan Grama Bank is sponsored by the Indian Overseas Bank, both state-run lenders headquartered in Chennai.
FDI Fell 11% To $22.66 Billion During April-September Period Of 2018-19 :
- Foreign direct investment into India has declined 11 percent to $22.66 billion during April-September period of the current fiscal, according to ministry of commerce and industry data.
- Sectors that received maximum foreign investment are services ($4.91 billion), computer software and hardware ($2.54 billion), telecommunications ($2.17 billion), trading ($2.14 billion), chemicals ($1.6 billion) and automobile industry ($ 1.59 billion).
- Singapore was the largest source of FDI during April-September 2018-19 with USD 8.62 billion inflow, followed by Mauritius (USD 3.88 billion), the Netherlands (USD 2.31 billion), Japan (USD 1.88 billion), the US (USD 970 million), and UK (USD 845 million).
P V Bharathi takes charge as CEO of Corporation Bank :
- P V Bharathi, executive director of Canara Bank has assumed charge as managing director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the city-based Corporation BanK.
- Bharathi has been executive director of Canara Bank since September 15, 2016 and served as the firm’s general manager in the risk management wing. She has more than 37 years of experience in the banking industry.
STATIC: Corporation Bank
Headquarters – Mangalore
37-year-old Former mayor Nayib Bukele won El Salvador’s presidential election :
- Former mayor Nayib Bukele won El Salvador’s presidential election,who will take charge from June 1 ,2019.
- He will succeed Salvador Sánchez Cerén ,after whom the leadership chair was vacant for a period of time.
Indian squash player Ramit Tandon win Seattle Open title :
- Indian squash player Ramit Tandon defeated Egyptian Mohamed El Sherbini in the finals to win the Seattle Open, a PSA challenger squash Tour event held in USA .
- The top-seeded Indian, who rose to his career high ranking of 58 in the latest February list, won 11-4, 11-7, 2-11, 11-2 for his first PSA title in the new year and fourth title overall in his career.