DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 3 & 4, 2019
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 3 & 4, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (February 4,2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness , Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
PM dedicates 294-km-long electrified railway lines in West Bengal :
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated Railway electrification of 294-km long Andal-Sainthia-Pakur-Malda and Khana-Sainthia sections in West Bengal.
- The electrification of 294-km sections will make the transportation of coal and stone chips to North and North East India fast and convenient.
STATIC : West Bengal
Governor: Keshari Nath Tripathi
Chief Minister: Mamata Banerjee
Shri Piyush Goyal launches the IEA’s Report “The Future of Rail”:
- Minister of Railways and Coal, Shri Piyush Goyal launched the International Energy Agency’s (IEA) “The Future of Rail” report which analyses the current and future importance of rail around the world in New Delhi.
- The report has a focus on India and it explores the key policies that will be helpful for enhanced future rail by improving its networks at a scope and scale that is unparalleled.
2nd Jharkhand International Film Festival to begin in Ranchi :
- Jharkhand International Film Festival (JIFF) was organized by an NGO, Navbharat Nirman Sangh at Ranchi in Jharkhand.JIFF was organized with an aim to present best Indian and International Films as well as Jharkhand Regional Films.
Minister for IT inaugurated ‘ICT Academy Bridge 2019’ conference :
- ‘ICT Academy Bridge 2019’ the 37th edition of conference, was inaugurated by Dr.Manikandan,minister of Information and Technology,Tamil Nadu.
- The theme of the 37th edition of the conference “Fostering India for Industry 4.0”.During this conference , ICT Academy conferred ” TN icon award 2019 “ for their contribution to the growth of extensive use of new technology.
India’s Tourism Sector Registers 19% Growth In 2018 :
- Union Minister KJ Alphons has said that the country’s tourism sector fetched 234 billion US Dollar revenue last year, registering a growth of over 19%.
- He made the announcement at the 2nd ASEAN-India Youth Summit in Guwahati.
- The country is ranked third in the tourism sector, according to the 2018 report of the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC).
Observer Research Foundation named ‘highest ranked’ Indian think tank :
- Think tanks and Civil Societies Programme by Lauder Institute declared Observer Research Foundation(ORF) as top think tank under Best New Idea or Paradigm developed by Think tank category.
- Under US and non-US category ,Brookings Institution is the highest ranked think tank followed by French Institute of International Relations and the Carnegie Endowment in second position,whereas Observer Research Foundation (ORF) is ranked 118th position.
- Under the social media outreach and the use of other digital medium category,Observer Research Foundation with three centres in Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata is ranked top in the list.
Singapore remains the most liveable location for Asian expatriates :
- Singapore is once again the most liveable location for Asian expatriates, having claimed the top spot every year since ECA’s liveability rankings began in 2005.
- Singapore is followed Australia’s Brisbane,Sydney,Adelaide in the second position.
- Further, Bangkok was in 89th place, whereas George Town and Kuala Lumpur made a hike to 97th and 98th respectively and Colombo in Sri Lanka in 194th rank.
INSTEX : Iran Trade Promotion Plan
- In order to save Iran from the US (United States) sanctions, Project INSTEX (Instrument in Support of Trade Exercises) was launched by the governments of United Kingdom, France and Germany.
- The Special payment system, INSTEX will save Iran nuclear Deal by allowing Iran to keep trading with countries of European Union despite of sanctions re-imposed by USA.
DIPP Secretary Ramesh Abhishek got additional charge of Civil Aviation Ministry :
- Ramesh Abhishek, secretary of the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) was appointed as an additional charge Secretary of the Civil Aviation Ministry
- He succeeded R N Choubey,who resigned as he is appointed as the member of UPSC.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Indian Space Research Organisation launches Human Space Flight Centre in Bengaluru :
- The state-run Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) stated that it has unveiled a Human Space Flight Centre at the ISRO headquarters in Bengaluru.
- The ISRO aims to send humans to space by December 2021 through its Gaganyaan mission. Former ISRO chairman K. Kasturirangan unveiled the full scale model of Gaganyaan’s crew module in the presence of ISRO’s chairman K. Sivan.
Haryana beat defending champions Punjab Royals to lift 4-th edition of PWL title :
- Haryana Hammers defeated defending champions Punjab Royals by 6-3 in the summit clash at the Gautam Buddha University indoor stadium, Greater Noida in Uttar Pradesh to claim the fourth edition of the Pro Wrestling League (PWL).
- Punjab’s Bajrang Punia who is Asian Games Gold Medallist and Padma Shri Awardee scored an impressive 11-0 win over Haryana’s Rajneesh but could not make his team the winner of the tournament.
Governor: Satyadev Narayan
Chief Minister: Manohar Lal Khattar
Smriti Mandhana becomes No.1 batter in women’s cricket:
- India’s Smriti Mandhana attained top in the ICC ODI rankings for batswomen,she grab first position after the match against New Zealand,whereas Ellyse Perry followed her in the second position and Indian ODI skipper Mithali Raj in fifth position.
- In the ODI Bowler’s ranking, veteran pacer Jhulan Goswami is fourth, with Poonam Yadav at eighth, and spinner Deepti Sharma at ninth.
Sana Mir becomes first Asian woman cricketer to play 100 T20Is :
- Former Pakistan women’s cricket team skipper Sana Mir became the first Asian woman cricketer to play hundred T20 international matches.
- The 33-year-old reached the milestone when she walked into the field for the ongoing third and final T20I against West Indies in Karachi.Sana Mir is the sixth woman in the world to complete 100 T20Is,whereas Daendra Dottin of West Indies lead the list with 110 T20Is
Rohit Sharma, the 14th Indian cricketer to play 200 ODIs :
- Rohit Sharma (Indian Cricket Team Vice-Captain) became the 14th Indian Cricketer to play 200 One Day International (ODIs) in the fourth Match against New Zealand held at Hamilton, New Zealand.
- Rohit Sharma holds the record of highest Individual score (264 runs) and highest number of double centuries (3 Double Century) in ODIs.
Greg Chappell set to retire as Australia National Selector after Ashes 2019 :
- Former Australian skipper and national selector Greg Chappell is confirmed to retire from his post after Ashes 2019.
- Greg Chappell have played 87 Tests for Australia.
World Cancer Day is being observed on February 4 :
- World Cancer Day is an international day marked on February 4 to raise awareness of cancer and to encourage its prevention, detection, and treatment.
- World Cancer Day, is launching a new 3-year (2019-2021) campaign with the theme: “I Am and I Will.”