Daily Current Affairs : January 12 & 13, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (January 12 & 13, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Also Don’t forget to attend the Daily Current Affairs Quiz – January 12 – 21, 2020 now @ our Bankersdaily Tests.
Check Daily CA from Race Youtube Channel
National Youth Day is celebrated in India on 12 January on the birthday of Swami Vivekananda:
- In 1984, the Indian Government first declared to celebrate the birthday of Swami Vivekananda i.e. 12 January as National Youth Day / Yuva Diwas.
- Since then from 1985, it is celebrated as National Youth Day all over the country.
- The main aim of the Government is to make a better future of the country by motivating the youths through the way of their life and ideas of the Swami Vivekananda.
- It is a great way to wake up the eternal energy of the youths as well as to make the country developed.
Shri Nitin Gadkari inaugurated 31st Road Safety Campaign in Nagpur, Maharashtra:
- Transport department in Maharashtra observed 31st Road Safety Week from 11th-17th Jan 2020.
- Union transport Minister Nitin Jairam Gadkari inaugurated 31st Road Safety Campaign organised by Regional Transport Office, Traffic Police and District Road Safety Committee in Nagpur, Maharashtra.
- To ensure transparency and accuracy on the use of e-governance in license issuance process and also test for license will be carried through computers in Pune and Mumbai centres.
- Union Minister also said that there is a proposal to establish 2,000 centres for issuing the vehicle fitness and PUC (Pollution Under Control) certificate to vehicles.
- He also mentioned about the recent provisions of the Amended Motor Vehicle Act, in which financial assistance will be provided to the social organizations which are involved in spreading the awareness about road safety.
- The Minister also chaired District Road Safety Committee meeting after the inauguration, and also instructed NHAI (National Highway Authority of India) and traffic police department to avoid road accident in Nagpur district.
Kolkata Port Trust renamed after Syama Prasad Mukherjee, Modi attended it:
- Narendra Modi on Sunday celebrated the 150th anniversary of the historic Kolkata Port Trust and renamed the port after Bharatiya Jana Sangh founder Shyama Prasad Mukherjee.
- PM Modi announced at an event at the Netaji Indoor Stadium on Sunday, “This port will now be known by the name of Shyama Prasad Mukherjee.”
2 Coast Guard ships Annie Besant and Amrit Kaur commissioned at Kolkata, West Bengal:
- Two Indian Coast Guard Ships (ICGS) – Annie Besant and Amrit Kaur were commissioned by Defence Secretary Ajay Kumar at Kolkata.
- Director General of Indian Coast Guard K. Natarajan, Additional Director General and Coast Guard Commander (Eastern Seaboard) V.S. Pathania, and other officials from Central and State agencies, were present during the impressive ceremony.
- ICGS Annie Besant was named in honour of Annie Besant, philanthropist, theosophist, prolific author and supporter of the Indian freedom struggle.
- The ship will be based at Chennai under the operational and administrative control of the Commander, Coast Guard Region (East).
- ICGS Amrit Kaur derives the name from Rajkumari Amrit Kaur, who belonged to the ruling family of Kapurthala, Punjab.
- She took active part in the ‘Salt Satyagraha’ and ‘Quit India Movement’, and served Independent India as its first Health Minister.
India’s 1st Cyber Crime Prevention Unit AASHVAST and two other projects were launched in Gandhinagar, Gujarat:
- The Union Home Minister Amit Shah has launched the first Cyber Crime Prevention Unit of India “AASHVAST” in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- Along with AASHVAST, he also launched 2 other projects: VISWAS & Netrang.
- The AASHVAST project will act as a helpline for the cyber crime victims.
- The project will provide cyber-security solution to the common people of Gujarat provided by Gujarat Police.
- Project AASHVAST is expected to contribute in preventing crimes in the state of Gujarat.
- The e-governance initiative Video Integration and State Wide Advanced Security (VISHWAS) was also launched with an objective to improve Law and Order Management, Proactive traffic management and control, Crime detection with the help of video analytics and post incident investigation and video forensics.
- Command and Control Room will be established in 33 districts of the state in the project ‘Netrang’.
Lohri, a harvest Festival of North India is celebrated in Jan 13:
- Lohri is popular festival in north India, particularly in the Indian state of Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Jammu and Chandigarh.
- It falls on 13th of January every year.
- This is the time the Sun starts moving towards the northern hemisphere marking the auspicious period of Uttarayan.
- Lohri is observed a night before Makar Sankranti, a festival that marks the end of the winter solstice and beginning of longer days.
‘Mission Purvodaya’ will drive India’s march towards $5 trillion economy, by Dharmendra Pradhan:
- Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas and Steel Dharmendra Pradhan launched mission PURVODAYA, which aims at accelerated development of eastern India through integrated steel hub in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- The mission will drive India’s march towards USD 5 trillion economy set by the government.
Smriti Irani launches Yashaswini Scheme for Women entrepreneurship in Goa:
- Smriti Irani launches Yashaswini Scheme for Women entrepreneurship in Goa.
- Union Minister for Women and Child Development and Textiles, Smriti Irani today launched Yashaswini Scheme for Women entrepreneurship in Goa.
- The event was held at Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Stadium at Taleigao near Panaji.
- Swasthya Sakhi Project and breast cancer screening initiative were also inaugurated on the occasion.
- Under Yashaswini scheme, women self-help groups will be given interest free loans of upto Rs Five lakh for business.
- Adarsha Satari Mahila Mandal Guleli -Sattari, Umang Self-Help Group, Salcete, Phoenix Womens Wing Self-Help Group Valpoi -Sattari were given loans under newly launched Yashaswini scheme.
Pulses Conclave 2020 Will be held in Maharashtra:
- India Pulses and Grains Association (IPGA), the nodal body for India’s pulses trade & industry announced that the 5th edition The Pulses Conclave, their biennial global pulses conference will be held from 12th to 14th February, 2020 at Amby Valley City in Lonavala, Maharashtra.
National Youth Festival 2020 to be held in Lucknow:
- The 23rd National Youth Festival (NYF) 2020 has been scheduled to be held from 12-16 January at Indira Pratishthan, Lucknow.
- The festival will be jointly inaugurated by Chief Minister, Uttar Pradesh Yogi Adityanath and Minister of State (I/C) for Youth Affairs & Sports, Shri Kiren Rijiju.
- The NYF 2020 is organized by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports and State Government of Uttar Pradesh.
- The theme of the 23rd National Youth Festival 2020 is “FIT YOUTH FIT INDIA”.
Transport Minister Gadkari inaugurates 31st RoadSafety Campaign in Nagpur:
- In Maharashtra ,Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated 31st Road Safety Campaign organised by Regional Transport Office,Traffic Police and District Road Safety Committee in Nagpur.
- n Maharashtra Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated 31st Road Safety Campaign organised by Regional Transport Office,Traffic Police and District Road Safety Committee.
World Future Energy Summit held in Abu Dhabi, UAE:
- World Future Energy Summit (WFES) is the world’s foremost global annual event dedicated to advancing future energy, energy efficiency and clean technology in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- WFES brings together thousands of decision-makers, policy-makers, investors, experts and media from 175 countries to source cutting-edge technologies, network with solution providers and do business.
- World Future Energy Summit continues to set the agenda for a global discussion on the future of renewable energy, clean technology and sustainability.
Bangladesh to hold the world’s second-largest Muslim congregation ‘Bishwa Ijtema’ in January 2020:
- Bangladesh will hold the first phase of Bishwa Ijtema, the second largest congregation of Muslim community after Hajj, from January 10 to 12, 2020 in Dhaka. The second phase of the Ijtema will be held from January 17 to 19.
- Bishwa Ijtema is an annual event that is held in a 160-acre field on the bank of the Turag River at Tongi on the outskirts of Dhaka since 1967. Bishwa Ijtema means world congregation and it draws in Muslims from about 150 countries. In 2010, 5 million people were estimated to take part in the Bishwa Ijtema. It is a gathering that focuses on prayer and meditation and is not open to political discussions.
18th edition of ‘Dhaka International Film Festival’ begins in Dhaka, Bangladesh:
- The 18th edition of Dhaka International Film Festival began on 11th Jan in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- During the festival, 220 films from 74 countries will be screened across various venues in Dhaka between 11-19 Jan.
- More than 100 filmmakers and other personalities from the movie world are participating in the event over.
- The theme of the festival is ‘Better Film, Better Audience and Better Society’.
BANKING AND BUSINESS
Sebi extends deadline to separate roles of chairman, MDs to April 2022:
- In a huge relief for corporates, market regulator SEBI has extended the deadline given to companies to separate the roles of chairman and managing director by two years till April 2022.
- The SEBI board in March 2018 had accepted the Uday Kotak-led panel’s recommendations to split CMD and chairman’s posts in listed companies.
- Under Sebi’s norms, the top 500 listed entities by market capitalisation need to comply with the requirement of separation of the roles of chairperson and MD or chief executive officer (CEO) with effect from April 1, 2020.
Flipkart former CEO Sachin Bansal acquires DHFL General Insurance for Rs 100 crore:
- Flipkart co-founder and former CEO Sachin Bansal has reportedly acquired DHFL General Insurance from Wadhawan Group Capital (WGC) for around Rs 100 crore.
- The deal has been done via Navi Technologies, formerly known as BAC Acquisitions which Sachin Bansal had founded along with IIT-Delhi batchmate Ankit Agarwal after selling his stake in Flipkart.
Taiwan election: Tsai Ing-wen wins second presidential term:
- Tsai Ing-wen has secured a second term in office in Taiwan after winning the presidential election with 57.1 per cent of the votes on Saturday, final results showed.
- Tsai had already declared victory in the election after Han conceded following a fiercely fought campaign.
Robert Abela named as 14th Prime minister of Malta:
- Robert Abela will replace Joseph Muscat, who is stepping down as close associates of his have come under scrutiny after the killing of a journalist. Robert Abela is the son of Malta’s Former President George Abela.
- Robert Abela, 42-years old lawyer won the Labour Party Leadership contest with 57.9% of the vote and beat his closest rival Chris Fearne 56-years old surgeon by more than 2,500 votes.
Haitham bin Tariq sworn in as Oman’s new sultan:
- Oman has named Haitham bin Tariq Al Said as the country’s new ruler following the death of his cousin Sultan Qaboos bin Said Al Said, state television announced.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
Jasprit Bumrah receives Polly Umrigar and Dilip Sardesai award:
- India pace spearhead Jasprit Bumrah will receive the prestigious Polly Umrigar and Dilip Sardesai Award for the best international cricketer (2018-19) at the BCCI Annual Awards to be held in Mumbai on Sunday.
- The world”s No. 1 ODI bowler made his Test debut during India”s tour of South Africa in January 2018 and hasn’t looked back since.
- Having picked 62 wickets at a staggering average of 19.24 in just 12 matches since his Test debut against South Africa in January 2018, Jasprit Bumrah has risen up the ranks at a rapid pace in the longest format and reiterated his position as a top bowler in the world
The full list of the winners at the BCCI Annual Awards is as follows:
- COL. C.K. Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award: Kris Srikanth
- BCCI Lifetime Achievement Award in women’s category: Anjum Chopra
- BCCI Special Award: Dilip Joshi
- POLLY Polly Umrigar Award for Best International Cricketer in men’s category: Jasprit Bumrah
- Best International Cricketer in women’s category: Poonam Yadav
- Best International debut – in men’s category: Mayank Agarwal
- Best International – in men’s category: Shafali Verma
- Dilip Sardesai Award – Highest Run Getter in Test Cricket (Male): Cheteshwar Pujara
- Dilip Sardesai Award – Highest Wicket taker in Test Cricket (Male): Jasprit Bumrah
- Highest Run Getter in women’s category: Smriti Mandhana
- Highest Wicket taker ODIs in women’s category: Jhulan Goswami
- Best umpire in domestic cricket: Virendra Sharma
- Best performance in domestic tournaments: Vidarbha Cricket Association
- Lala Amarnath Award for Best all-rounder in Ranji Trophy: Shivam Dube
Team Serbia (Novak Djokovic) Beats Team Spain (Rafael Nadal) at ATP Cup Final In Sydney:
- Team Serbia defeated Team Spain 2-1 in a blockbuster final to win the first ATP Cup at Ken Rosewall Arena in Sydney.
- Roberto Bautista Agut gave Spain the early advantage with a 7-5, 6-1 victory over Dusan Lajovic before Novak Djokovic defeated Rafael Nadal 6-2, 7-6(4) in the battle of the No.1 players. Djokovic and Viktor Troicki then clinched the live doubles rubber over Pablo Carreno Busta and Feliciano Lopez 6-3, 6-4 to seal the title.
Shenzhen Open: Ekaterina Alexandrova beats Elena Rybakina to win maiden title:
- Russia’s Ekaterina Alexandrova captured her maiden WTA singles title at the Shenzhen Open, powering past past Kazakh tennis player Elena Rybakina 6-2 6-4 in the final.
- The fifth seed, playing in only her second WTA title clash and first since Linz in 2018, breezed through the first set and staved off a potential comeback from her Kazakh opponent in the next to become the first tour champion of 2020.
Kerala Cartoonist Thomas Antony passes away at 62:
- Kerala Cartoonist and Secretary of Kerala Cartoon Academy Thomas Antony passed away at Kottackal town in Malappuram district, Kerala after suffering from heart attack.
- He was 62.
Portuguese motorcycle rider Paulo Goncalves passed away:
- Portuguese motorcycle rider Paulo Goncalves died after a crash in the seventh stage of the Dakar Rally in Saudi Arabia.
- The 40-year-old Hero Motorsports entrant, taking part in his 13th Dakar Rally since making his debut in 2006, fell after 276km of the special stage from the capital Riyadh to Wadi Al Dawasir.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of January 12 & 13, 2019 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 6 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.