Daily Current Affairs : January 22, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (January 22, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Check Daily CA from Race Youtube Channel
1) NIA to host counter-terrorism exercise for Quad countries
- The National Investigation Agency is hosting the first counter-terrorism exercise for the “Quad” countries — India, U.S, Japan and Australia — in Delhi on November 21 and 22.
- The ‘CT-TTX’ (counter-terrorism table-top exercise) is first such engagement among the Quad countries on regional and global issues of common interest and also in the domain of counter-terrorism and cooperation, NIA officials said.
- NIA HQ-New Delhi
- Director General-Y.C.Modi
2) Only 9% of Indian kids get proper nutritious food: Smriti Irani
- Union Minister for Women and Child Welfare Smriti Irani today said that only nine percent of the children in the country are getting proper nutritious food, even rich and affluent families are not providing the children with nutritious food.
- She said this while answering questions raised by members during Question Hour today in the Lok Sabha.
- The government of India has initiated various programs to create awareness on malnutrition and related challenges and create awareness on holistic nutrition through a people’s movement known as Jan Andolan with a focus on Children.
3) E-Cigarette bill banning production, import & sale of E- Cigarette, related products introduced in Lok Sabha
- Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan today introduced a bill to prohibit the production, manufacture, import, export, transport, sale, distribution, storage and advertisement of electronic cigarettes.
- He said, this has been done to protect the people from the harmful effects of e-cigarettes.
- The Union Cabinet in September had approved an ordinance to ban the production, import, distribution, and sale of electronic cigarettes.
- The decision was taken considering the impact of e-cigarettes on the youth.
- A punishment of one-year imprisonment and a fine of one lakh rupees have been proposed for first-time offenders.
- The storage of e-cigarettes is punishable with imprisonment of up to six months or a fine of up to 50 thousand rupees or both.
4) Govt approved setting up of six plastic parks: Sadananda Gowda
- The government has approved setting up of six plastic parks in different parts of the country.
- These parks will have an ecosystem with state of the art infrastructure building and enabling the common facility to consolidate and synergize the capacities of the domestic downstream plastic processing industry.
- These parks are located in Assam, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Jharkhand and Tamil Nadu.
- He said, out of them, the plastic park at Tamot in Madhya Pradesh is functional.
- Under the scheme, the government provides grant funding up to 50 per cent of the project cost.
- The remaining project cost is to be funded by State Government beneficiary industries and by a loan from financial institutions.
5) Over 7 crore farmers benefited under PM-KISAN scheme: Govt
- Over seven crore farmers have been benefited under Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) scheme.
- Under this scheme, six thousand rupees per year are being given in three instalments to the farmers.
- Rajya Sabha Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Minister, Narendra Singh Tomar informed that around over one crore 67 lakh farmers in Uttar Pradesh are benefited under the scheme which is the highest among all the all states.
6) Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella tops Fortune’s Businessperson of the Year 2019 list
- Microsoft’s India-born Chief Executive Officer Satya Nadella has occupied the top spot in Fortune’s Businessperson of the Year 2019 list, an annual compilation that also includes Mastercard CEO Ajay Banga and Arista head Jayshree Ullal.
- Fortune’s annual Businessperson of the Year list features 20 business leaders “who tackled audacious goals, overcame impossible odds, found creative solutions”.
7) Tuvalu rejects China offer to build islands, retains ties with Taiwan
- The tiny South Pacific nation of Tuvalu has rejected offers from Chinese firms to build artificial islands that would help it deal with rising sea levels.
- Tuvalu Foreign Minister Simon Kofe told Reuters he saw the offers as an attempt to reduce Taiwan’s influence in the region.
- But he instead reaffirmed his country’s support for Taiwan.
- China has increased efforts to expand its influence in the Pacific, alarming the United States and its allies.
- Beijing has been accused of luring them in with the promise of financial aid and airplanes.
- Tuvalu capital: Funafuti
- Currency: Australian dollar, Tuvaluan dollar
8) PM Sheikh Hasina reaches Kolkata to watch India-Bangladesh Cricket Test match
- Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina reached Kolkata this morning for a day-long visit.
- Board of Control for Cricket in India President Mr. Sourav Ganguly received her at the Kolkata Airport.
- During her visit, Prime Minister Hasina is scheduled to watch India-Bangladesh Second Cricket Test match slated to begin today.
- The two countries will play their maiden Day-Night Cricket Test match in which the pink ball will be used for the first time.
- Bangladesh capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Taka
9) Swachh Survekshan Grameen Awards 2019
- Recently, the Swachh Survekshan Grameen Awards 2019 were conferred upon top-ranked states, Union Territories (UTs), and districts in the various categories by the Ministry of Jal Shakti in New Delhi.
- The Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS) under the Ministry of Jal Shakti had commissioned Swachh Survekshan Grameen Awards 2019 (SSG 2019) through an independent survey agency.
- Top 3 States– 1) Tamil Nadu, 2) Haryana, 3) Gujarat
- Top 3 Districts– 1) Peddapalli (Telangana), 2) Faridabad (Haryana), 3) Rewari (Haryana)
- State with Maximum Citizen Participation– Uttar Pradesh
10) Four-day Aalmi Tablighi Ijtima, world’s biggest Islamic Congregation begins in Bhopal
- In Madhya Pradesh, the four-day Aalmi Tablighi Ijtima, world’s biggest Islamic Congregation began in Bhopal this morning.
- More than one million people from 54 countries are expected to attend the congregation which will continue till 25th November.
- Thousands of people from various countries across the world including Russia, France, Indonesia, Malaysia, Iraq and Saudi Arabia have reached Bhopal to participate in this event.
11) Three-day Global Buddhist Congregation to begin in Aurangabad
- In Maharashtra, a three-day Global Buddhist Congregation will begin at Nagsenvan in Aurangabad.
- The inaugural ceremony will take place in the presence of Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama and Mahanayaka Thero from Sri Lanka.
- It will also have other cultural events.” “Buddhist monks and followers of the religion from across the globe arrived at Aurangabad for attend this Congregation.
12) Kerala to ban manufacturing, sale & storage of single-use plastic from January 1
- In Kerala, the manufacture, sale and storage of one-time-use plastic items will be banned from 1st of January next year.
- The decision was taken at a State Cabinet meeting yesterday.
- A fine of 10,000 rupees will be slapped on manufacturers, wholesalers and small traders who defy the ban.
- If the ban is violated for the second time, the fine will be 25,000 rupees.
- A third violation will invite closure and a fine of 50,000 rupees.
- The Industries Department will introduce incentive schemes to encourage companies that manufacture environment-friendly bags.
13) Army dedicates Goodwill Park to Late Naib Subedar Chuni Lal
- As a mark of tribute to one of the most decorated soldiers of Indian Army Late Naib Subedar Chuni Lal, an Army Goodwill Park was dedicated at his native village Bhara in Doda today by GOC-in-C, Northern Command, Lt Gen Ranbir Singh.
- Many retired and serving GoCs were present on the occasion.
- The Army Goodwill Park has a statue of the martyred soldier, beside a Children park and open Gym for the villagers.
14) 4-day NorthEast festival in Varanasi from tomorrow
- A four-day festival showcasing art, culture, cuisine, handicrafts and handlooms of the north eastern region will be held for the first time in Varanasi.
- Union minister Jitendra Singh said the ”Destination North East’ festival, which will begin in the temple town of Uttar Pradesh on Saturday, will exhibit the striking similarities between the Ganga and Brahmaputra basins in terms of ancient culture, diverse handlooms and silk products, spiritual heritage and vibrant tourist hubs.
- “The idea of organising such an event is to bring the rest of India closer to the Northeast and to have experience of rich culture of the region,” Singh told reporters in New Delhi.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of January 22, 2019 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 6 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.