Daily Current Affairs: January 19, 2022
Daily Current Affairs (January 19, 2022) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
India extends a $500 million Line of Credit to Sri Lanka for emergency fuel imports
- India extended a $500 million Line of Credit (LOC) to Sri Lanka for emergency fuel imports, days after providing $900 million in relief to the island nation undergoing one of its worst economic downturns.
- This announcement was made after a virtual meeting between Union External Affairs Minister Jaishankar and Sri Lanka’s Finance Minister Basil Rajapaksa, when they reviewed a $1.5 billion credit facility to help Sri Lanka augment its fast-draining foreign reserves, crucial to importing essential food items, medicines and fuel.
Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs announces ‘Open Data Week’ from 17 to 21 January 2022
- The Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has announced Open Data Week from 17 to 21 January 2022 on the third week of January to encourage the adoption of open data and promote innovation across India’s urban ecosystem.
- This Open Data Week is part of a series of pre-event initiatives being undertaken by the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs to promote awareness and the use of open data.
Poet and activist Maya Angelou becomes the first Black woman to feature on the US coin
- Poet and activist Maya Angelou became the first Black woman to appear on the United States (US) quarter, in a new version of the coin unveiled by the US Mint.
- The other figures set to appear on the coin in 2022 are Sally Ride (the first American woman in space), Wilma Mankiller (first female principal chief of the Cherokee Nation), Nina Otero-Warren (a suffrage leader) and Anna May Wong (a Chinese-American film star).
Indonesia names Nusantara as its new capital
- Indonesian lawmakers approved the shift of its capital from Jakarta to Kalimantan, a jungle-covered area on the east of Borneo island.
- The new capital will be known as Nusantara.
- The new name ‘Nusantara’ translates to ‘archipelago’ in the Indonesian language.
- Nusantara will replace Jakarta, which has been dropping into the Java Sea at an alarming rate due to the over-extraction of groundwater.
- Capital: Nusantara
- Currency: Indonesian Rupiah
- President: Joko Widodo
Banking & Economy
SIDBI sanctions ₹650 crores to AU and Jana Small Finance Banks for co-lending
- The Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has sanctioned funds aggregating ₹650 crores to two small finance banks (SFBs), AU Small Finance Bank and Jana Small Finance Bank, to aid small non-banking financial companies (NBFCs) and microfinance institutions (MFIs) in providing financial assistance to small businesses and micro-entrepreneurs.
- This financial assistance has been extended out of the special liquidity facility (SLF) of ₹16,000 crores sanctioned by the Reserve Bank of India to SIDBI to meet the challenges being faced by micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI)
- Headquarters: Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Chairman & Managing Director (CMD): S. Ramann
MobiKwik launches ‘ClickPay’ in collaboration with India the NPCI Bharat BillPay Limited
- MobiKwik has launched ‘ClickPay’ in collaboration with the NPCI Bharat BillPay Limited (NBBL).
- MobiKwik customers can use this feature to pay regular online bills (such as mobile, gas, water, electricity, DTH, insurance and loan EMIs) without having to remember individual bill details and due dates.
- ClickPay is a two-step payment feature that allows consumers to make payments directly on the payment page once billers provide a unique payment link within the bill-pay message.
SEBI reduces the timeline for filing settlement applications to 60 days
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has cut the timeline for filing settlement applications to just 60 days from the current 180 days, aimed at rationalising norms on settlement proceedings.
- A settlement application can currently be filed within 60 days of receiving the show-cause notice. However, if the applicants pay an additional 25 per cent over the settlement charges, they will be given an additional 120 days.
- All payments under the settlement regulations will be accepted only through a dedicated payment gateway.
- Under this settlement mechanism, an alleged wrongdoer can settle a pending case with the regulator without admission or denial of guilt by paying a settlement fee.
- This settlement mechanism is a tool for ensuring speedy and efficient resolution of disputes.
Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)
- Headquarter: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman: Ajay Tyagi
- Founded: 12 April 1992
Shashank Goel was appointed as the Additional Secretary in the Union Ministry of Labour and Employment
- Shashank Goel was appointed as the Additional Secretary in the Union Ministry of Labour and Employment.
- Manish Kumar Gupta, who is presently serving as the Principal Commissioner of Delhi Development Authority under the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, has been appointed as the Vice -Chairman of Delhi Development Authority in the rank of Additional Secretary.
- Chanchal Kumar has been appointed as the Managing Director of the National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited under the Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
Roberta Metsola of Malta becomes the youngest-ever President of the European Union Parliament
- Roberta Metsola of Malta became the President of the European Union Parliament succeeding David Sassoli.
- She became the youngest President of the EU Parliament ever to run the chamber at the age of 43.
- The European Union consists of 27 member Countries and is home to 450 million People. It is one of the world’s most ambitious political projects.
Vikram Dev Dutt was appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director of Air India Limited
- The Union Ministry of Civil Aviation appointed Vikram Dev Dutt as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Air India Limited.
- He previously served as the Principal Secretary for the Health and Family Welfare Department of the Delhi Government in June 2020.
Ramesh Narasimhan was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of Worldline India
- Ramesh Narasimhan was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of Worldline India succeeding Deepak Chandnani, who was promoted as the Executive Chairman for India and South Asia.
- He joined Worldline as the Head of Digital Commerce (India) through the acquisition of Ingenico.
Dimitar Kovacevski was appointed as the Prime Minister of North Macedonia
- North Macedonia has appointed Dimitar Kovacevski as its Prime Minister succeeding Zoran Zaev.
- He served as the deputy finance minister in the previous government led by Zoran Zaev.
- In 2019, Macedonia added North to its official name, resolving a dispute with Greece that allowed the country to join North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).
Awards and Recognitions
Robert Lewandowski was named the Best FIFA Men’s Player of the Year 2021
- Robert Lewandowski was named the Best FIFA Men’s Player of the Year 2021 at the Best FIFA Football Awards 2021, held in Zurich, Switzerland.
- Alexia Putellas was named the Best FIFA Women’s Player 2021.
- Cristiano Ronaldo received the FIFA Special Best Men’s award.
- Edouard Mendy from Chelsea received the Best FIFA Men’s Goalkeeper 2021 award.
- Erik Lamela was conferred with the FIFA Puskas award for 2021.
- Thomas Tuchel was named the Best FIFA Men’s Coach 2021.
Agreements and MoUs signed
Canara Bank ties up with Lendingkart to offer online loans to MSMEs
- Canara Bank has tied up with Lendingkart to provide low-cost business loans of up to ₹10 lakhs to micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) across India.
- These loans will be provided with a fast turnaround time for approvals powered by ‘Lendingkart 2gthr’ platform using ‘zero touch’
- This partnership aims to broaden Canara Bank’s reach to support MSME borrowers to enhance financial inclusion under the Reserve Bank’s Priority Sector initiative.
Federal Bank and Equirus Wealth launch an exclusive US Dollar Fixed Maturity Fund
- Federal Bank, in association with Equirus Wealth, has launched a ‘US Dollar offshore fund’ exclusively for their customers.
- This is in collaboration with a Singapore-based global fund management company, SCUBE Capital.
- Both Non-Resident Indian (NRI) and resident customers of Federal Bank will be able to invest in this fund.
- This fund has a portfolio return target of roughly 6.50 per cent per year and a tenor of three years from the date of fund closure with the option to extend by one year.
Daily CA- 19 January One-Liners
|India extends a $500 million Line of Credit to Sri Lanka for emergency fuel imports|
|Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs announces ‘Open Data Week’ from 17 to 21 January 2022|
|Poet and activist Maya Angelou becomes the first Black woman to feature on the US coin|
|Indonesia names Nusantara as its new capital|
|SIDBI sanctions ₹650 crores to AU and Jana Small Finance Banks for co-lending|
|MobiKwik launches ‘ClickPay’ in collaboration with India the NPCI Bharat BillPay Limited|
|SEBI reduces the timeline for filing settlement applications to 60 days|
|Shashank Goel was appointed as the Additional Secretary in the Union Ministry of Labour and Employment|
|Roberta Metsola of Malta becomes the youngest-ever President of the European Union Parliament|
|Vikram Dev Dutt was appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director of Air India Limited|
|Ramesh Narasimhan was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of Worldline India|
|Dimitar Kovacevski was appointed as the Prime Minister of North Macedonia|
|Robert Lewandowski was named the Best FIFA Men’s Player of the Year 2021|
|Canara Bank ties up with Lendingkart to offer online loans to MSMEs|
|Federal Bank and Equirus Wealth launch an exclusive US Dollar Fixed Maturity Fund|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of January 19, 2022, now from the link given below.