DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : November 16, 17 & 18, 2019
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Dear Bankersdaily Team,
Daily Current Affairs (November 16, 17 & 18, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Check Daily CA from Race Youtube Channel
Ayush Minister gives away Rejoice National Ayush Awards to health sector entities
- Ayush Minister Shripad Yesso Naik gave away Rejoice National Ayush Awards to health sector entities for their significant contribution in providing health services through various programmes. The awards were initiated by Rejoice Health Foundation, a promoter of mankind health services in the country.
- Mr Naik praised the foundation’s efforts for taking care of specially abled-children through the application of AYUSH system. The Minister said the foundation will be supported in this noble cause as it is very much needed to come together for the development and progress of specially-abled children.
- Chairman, Parliamentary Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment, Rama Devi attended the event. Over 200 delegates, including doctors from AYUSH stream, dignitaries as well as representative of various universities and associations also attended.
Yogi Adityanath inaugurates North India’s 1st sugar mill which will produce ethanol
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has inaugurated North India’s first sugar mill which will produce ethanol direct from sugarcane.
- The mill was inaugurated in Pipraich area of Gorakhpur Speaking on the occasion, Chief Minister said his government is working to restore the pride of Sugar Bowl’ of east Uttar Pradesh.
Darjeeling green, white teas get GI backing
- Darjeeling green and white teas whose price varies from Rs 3,000 -Rs 10,000 per kg, have received Geographical Indication (GI) tag for the domestic market, which will put to rest any doubt about their authenticity and quality.
- Both these premium teas have been registered as a GI in the country with effect from October 24, 2019, which means that any teas sold as Darjeeling white and green teas in the domestic market without GI will not be considered authentic teas. “Darjeeling black tea is already registered as GI.
- Accordingly, the Tea Board took steps to register these two varieties under GI,” Kaushik Basu, secretary, Darjeeling Tea Association (DTA).
National Mission ‘NISHTHA’ launched in J&K
- National Initiative for School Heads’ and Teachers’ Holistic Advancement (NISHTHA) was launched in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir with its formal inauguration by Commissioner Secretary, School Education Department, Sarita Chauhan.
- The event was attended by around 300 teachers, Key Resource Persons (KRPs) and Chief Education Officers, DIET Principals and Educational Administrators.
- NISHTHA which is a National Mission aimed at improving learning outcomes at Elementary level through integrated Teacher Trainings.
- “NISHTHA is a pioneer scheme being launched across the country, with a total of 86000 Elementary teachers of Government Schools being trained in J&K under the programme”.
Pakistan elected as Chairperson of UN Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons
- Pakistan’s Permanent Representative to the United Nation in Geneva, Ambassador Khalil Hashmi, has been elected as Chairperson of the Annual Meeting of States Parties to the Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons (CCW).
- The Convention represents an important arms control framework that envisages prohibitions and restrictions on certain conventional weapons that can cause unnecessary suffering to combatants or affect civilians indiscriminately.
Justice Dr Ravi Ranjan takes oath as Chief Justice of Jharkhand HC
- Justice Dr Ravi Ranjan took oath as the Chief Justice of Jharkhand High Court. He was administered the oath of office by Governor Draupadi Murmi in a simple ceremony at Raj Bhawan. Chief Minister Raghuwar Das, judges of the Jharkhand High Court and other dignitaries were present at the function.
- Justice Dr Ravi Ranjan has been appointed as the 13th Chief Justice of the Jharkhand High Court.
Justice Akil Abdulhamid Kureshi sworn in as Chief Justice of Tripura High Court
- Justice Akil Abdulhamid Kureshi was sworn in as the new Chief Justice of the High Court of Tripura. Governor Ramesh Bais administered the oath of office at old Raj Bhavan in Agartala.
- Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb, High Court judges, state ministers and senior officials were present at the swearing-in ceremony.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
Veteran actors Sridevi and Rekha conferred with ANR National Award
- The veteran actors Sridevi and Rekha were conferred with the Akkineni Nageswara Rao National Award for 2018 and 2019 respectively.
- The award was presented by renowned Telugu actor Chiranjeevi. The award is instituted by the Akkineni International Foundation and honours those who have made a lasting impact on Indian cinema.
Renowned Indian Sand Artist Sudarsan Pattnaik Wins Prestigious Italian Golden Sand Art Award 2019
- Renowned Indian sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik has been given the Italian Golden Sand Art Award 2019. He received the award from Vito Maraschio, president of Promuovi International Scorrano Sand Nativity, at a ceremony in Rome.
- Sudarsan has become the first Indian sand artist to receive this award for his contribution to sand art.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Syska launches new LED Bulb that kills harmful bacteria
- Syska Group has launched the Syska Bactiglow SSK-BAB-9W Bulb. The company claims that it comes with microbial disinfection properties that electrocute harmful bacteria present in a room.
- “The bulb emits light in the wavelength of 400 nm to 420 nm which is safe for human exposure. It does not emit harmful ultraviolet or infrared radiation,” the company said in a media release.
- It ensures that there are minimum bacteria present in a room where the bulb is being used. The bulb is designed for indoor use and can be installed in schools, colleges, commercial spaces and at home.
First Night Trial Of Agni II Missile Conducted Successfully In Odisha: Report
- The first night trial of ”Agni-II”, its versatile surface-to-surface medium range nuclear capable missile from Dr Abdul Kalam Island off Odisha coast, defence sources said.
- The missile has a strike range of 2000 km, the sources said soon after it blasted off from a mobile launcher at the Launch Complex-4 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR), the sources said.
- ”Agni-II”, an intermediate range ballistic missile (IRBM) has already been inducted into the armed forces.
Sarita Devi elected as member of AIBA athletes commission
- Laishram Sarita Devi of Manipur is among the six boxers from 5 continents who were elected as members of AIBA Athletes Commission. Laishram Sarita Devi was inspired by Muhammad Ali’s achievements, and turned professional in boxing in the year 2000. She is DSP in Manipur Police.
- The election of the Athletes Commission members was organized during AIBA Men and Women World Boxing Championships 2019 in Russia. Boxers from all over the world voted for new members – one per continent, except Europe which has two representatives.
National Epilepsy Day is celebrated across India on November 17th
- The National Epilepsy Day 2019 of India will be celebrated on Sunday, 17th November 2019. The day is observed to raise awareness about epilepsy.
- It is chronic disorder affecting the brain and causes sudden seizures and fits.
“World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims” on 17 November
- The United Nations observes “World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims” on 17 November every year.
- The day has become an important tool in global efforts to reduce road casualties.
- It offers an opportunity for drawing attention to the scale of emotional and economic devastation caused by road crashes and for giving recognition to the suffering of road crash victims and the work of support and rescue services.
- The theme is based on Pillar 3 of the Global Plan for the Decade of Action for Road Safety – Safer vehicles.
Regional conference on ‘Replication of Good Governance Practices’ in J&K and Ladakh
- The two-day Regional Conference on ‘Replication of Good Governance Practices in Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh concluded in Jammu with the adoption of Jammu Resolution
- The Conference was inaugurated by Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh in presence of Lieutenant Governor of J&K G.C. Murmu.
- The Conference resolved that Government of India and the participating State Governments shall collaborate with Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh to improve citizens’ experience, with Government by the promotion of digital governance, citizen-centric governance, innovation and capacity building.
Rajnath Singh inaugurated the Sisseri River Bridge in East Siang
- Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, who is on a two-day visit to Arunachal Pradesh, will inaugurate the Sisseri River Bridge on the Pasighat-Ranaghat-Roing Road in East Siang District.
- Mr Singh attended the Maitree Diwas celebration at strategically important Tawang District along the Indo-China Border.
Chairman Anil Ambani, four directors resign from Reliance Communications
- Reliance Communications Chairman Anil Ambani along with four directors have resigned from the company, which is going through the insolvency process.
- According to a regulatory filing, Manikantan V, the chief financial officer of the debt-ridden company has also resigned.
The Govt aims to raise MSME sector contribution from 29% to 50%
- Union Minister of Road Transport & Highways and Micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) Nitin Gadkari said that contribution of MSME sector to the country’s economy is 29 percent and the Government aims to increase it to 50 per cent.
- The Minister was speaking at the inauguration of the Innovation Conclave in Pune. He said, the country’s exports 39 per cent of MSME products at present.
- Mr Gadkari said, in future, the government wants to take the export target to 60 per cent. He said, at present between 10 and 11 crore jobs are available in the MSME sector.
- The Minister said, the Centre is working to increase the employment by another five crore in the next five years. Mr Gadkari said, logistics, transport and MSME sectors are crucial for achieving five trillion dollar economy goal set by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal announces Mukhyamantri Septic Tank Safai Yojana
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal announced the Mukhyamantri Septic Tank Safai Yojana, under which the Delhi Jal Board will deploy 80 trucks, along with trained staff to ensure the cleaning and maintenance of the septic tanks across Delhi.
- The Chief Minister announced the Mukhyamantri Septic Tank Safai Yojana to fulfil the three-fold objective of collecting the waste from the septic tanks from the colonies, ensuring safe disposal of the waste in the Sewage Treatment Plants (STPs) of the government, and deploy trained staff with all the safety equipment for the work of septic tank cleaning.
- The scheme will also ensure the safety of sanitation workers and proper septic waste management to prevent contamination of river Yamuna.
Shafqat Mehmood elected president of UNESCO’s Education Commission
- Federal Minister for Federal Education and Professional Training Shafqat Mahmood was unanimously elected as the president of UNESCO’s prestigious Education Commission in Paris.
- Mahmood termed his election victory as an honour for Pakistan and an acknowledgement of his work in the field of education for the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO).
- He added that he would continue to pursue UNESCO’s objectives and will work closely with all delegations in a constructive manner in his capacity as the president of the education commission.
RANKING AND INDEX
Mumbai tops, Delhi at bottom of tap water quality ranking
- Mumbai has topped the quality of tap water ranking released by Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan. Delhi is at the bottom, with all 11 samples failing on 19 parameters.
- The Minister released the much-awaited investigation report of samples of drinking water taken from capitals of 20 states across the country in New Delhi. The minister added that the government has set a target of providing piped water to every household by 2024 and it is working in this direction.
J&K Grameen Bank ranked first among all RRBs across country for FY 2018-19
- J&K Grameen Bank has pitched a top position in terms of achievement of Rupay card transaction targets (POS and Ecom) as it has been ranked first among the 56 RRBs across the country. As per the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) survey for the last financial year 2018-19, Bank has achieved 94.95% target for POS /eCOM transactions.
- J&K Grameen Bank has been continuously engaging into the latest digital services and bringing up the best digital products to its esteemed customers. J&K Grameen Bank has been providing digital Services since March 2014 and since then has been continuously adding all the new digital trends available in the market.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
Rezwana Choudhury Bannya gets ICCR Alumni award in Dhaka
- Renowned Rabindra Sangeet exponent from Bangladesh Rezwana Choudhury Bannya was conferred the ICCR distinguished alumni award in Dhaka.
- The award was given away by the High Commissioner of India to Bangladesh Riva Ganguly Das in a musical function organised by the Indira Gandhi Cultural Centre (IGCC).
- Rezwana Choudhury Bannya is known for her distinctive style of singing. She is also a recipient of ‘Independence Award’ which is the highest civilian award of Bangladesh.
- Distinguished Alumni Award was instituted in 2015 to recognise foreign students who have studied in various Indian Universities under the ICCR sponsored scholarship schemes and made an exemplary contribution in varied fields.
National Press Day 2019 has observed across India on November 16
- National Press Day is celebrated every year on 16 November. The day marks the presence of an independent and responsible press in India. The media is called the fourth pillar of democracy. It is said that journalists are a mirror of society, which brings out the truth even in adverse circumstances.
- This day symbolizes freedom of the press and its responsibilities towards the society. The Press Council of India is an autonomous body to exercise authority even over the instruments of the state in its duty to safeguard the independence of the press.
Sharad wins silver; Mariyappan, Vinay take bronze at WPA C’ships
- Two-time Asian Para Games champion Sharad Kumar cleared the bar with season’s best 1.83 metres to clinch the silver besides booking Tokyo 2020 slots along with Mariyappan Thangavelu at the Dubai 2019 World Para Athletics Championships in Dubai.
- Mariyappan, a Rio 2016 gold medallist, settled for bronze with a season’s best performance of 1.80 metres which was 0.6 metres lower than the champion Sam Grewe’s Championship record of 1.86 metres on Thursday.
- Sharad, the former world no. 1, stayed in the lead initially, clearing the bar at 1.83 m before Grewe surged ahead with 1.86 m to be on top.
- China ranked first with a medal tally of 59.India ranked 24th with a medal tally nine, of which two gold, two silver, and five bronze.
Download TNPSC Group II Test Schedule (Race Institute & Bankersdaily) : http://bit.ly/RaceTNPSCGroup2
Download Bankersdaily Android App: http://bit.ly/2S83yQR
TNPSC Group II & Group II A New Syllabus : http://bankersdaily.in/tnpsc-group-2-group-2-a-merged-2019-new-syllabus-released/
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.