DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: JANUARY 22, 2019
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: JANUARY 22, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (January 22, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness , Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
India Steel 2019 – Exhibition and Conference begins in Mumbai :
- India Steel 2019 Exhibition and Conference will be held in Mumbai from 22nd to 24th January, 2019. The three-day event organised by Ministry of Steel will help chart out the future growth path of the steel industry.
- The event will witness the participation of the companies across the industrial spectrum ranging from MSMEs to the biggest names in the Indian and international steel sector.
- The event provides an opportunity for all the stakeholders to deliberate and identify ways to contribute towards building a robust roadmap for the further growth of the steel sector.
Odisha CM hiked Rs.200 per month under Madhu Babu Pension Yojana scheme:
- Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced in a video conference on “Ama Gaon, Ama Bikash”a hike of Rs 200 per month in the social security pension under Madhu Babu Pension Yojana (MBPY).
- The state government launched Madhu Babu Pension Yojana on January 1, 2008, by merging two pension schemes – Old Age Pension and Odisha Disability Pension schemes.
Governor: Ganeshi Lal
Chief minister: Naveen Patnaik
UP govt to give pension of Rs 500 to destitute persons :
- UP government announced to give a monthly pension of Rs.500 to the destitute women in Varanasi.The pension will be provided to Hindu sadhus who are above the age of 60.The scheme is also likely to benefit the seers in Uttar Pradesh.
- This measure came immediately after the implementation of 10 per cent reservation for economically weak in the general category in the upcoming educational year.
Chief Minister:Yogi Adityanath (BJP)
India Signs MoU With Sri Lanka to Modernize Facilities in Batticaloa:
- India and Sri Lanka signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to provide modern infrastructural facilities to Swami Vipulananda Institute of Aesthetic Studies of Eastern University in Batticaloa district of Sri Lanka.
- Minister of City Planning, Water Supply and Higher Education Abdul Rauff Hakeem and senior officials were present on the occasion.
- The project involves refurbishment of the auditorium and construction of a modern building complex with recording cum editing facilities and supply vehicles to the institute through a grant of over 27 crore Sri Lankan rupees from the Government of India.
STATIC: Sri Lanka
Prime minister : Ranil Wickremsinghe
President : Maithripala Sirisena
Indians biggest supporters of international aid: WEF global survey
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) released a survey ahead of its annual meeting which states that Indians are biggest supporters of international aid. 95 per cent of Indians supported the international aid and expect India to help other nations.
- Pakistan and Indonesia are on the second position with 94 per cent of the people’s affirmative replies.
- South Asian Countries like India, Pakistan and Bangladesh exhibit widespread support for international aid leaving behind European countries.
Executive Chairman: Klaus Schwab
Rio named as World Capital of Architecture for 2020 by UNESCO :
- The Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro has been named as the World Capital of Architecture for 2020 by the UN Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
- Rio will be the first city to receive the title under a programme launched together by UNESCO and the International Union of Architects (UIA) in November 2018. Earlier Paris and Melbourne secured the position.
India Among The Most Trusted Nations Globally:Edelman Trust Barometer report
- According to the 2019 report released by Edelman Trust Barometer, ahead of the the World Economic Forum (WEF) meet here, noted that the Global Trust Index witnessed a marginal increase of 3 points to 52.India is among the most trusted nations globally when it comes to government, business, NGOs and media.
- China topped the Trust Index among both the informed public and the general population segments, with scores of 79 and 88 respectively.India was at the 2nd place in the informed public category and 3rd place in the general population category.
BANKING & ECONOMY
China’s economy grew 6.6% in 2018, the lowest pace in 28 years
- China announced that its official economic growth came in at 6.6 percent in 2018 — the slowest pace since 1990.The world’s 2nd biggest economy was grappling with the effects of the current trade war with the US and declining exports.
- According to China’s National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) the last year’s growth rate was down from 6.8% in 2017 and was the lowest since 1990 when the growth rate was 3.9%.
Microsoft launches e-platform under Project ReWeave to help Handloom weavers :
- Microsoft India has launched a new e-commerce platform re-weave.in for handloom weavers under its Project ReWeave.
- This e-commerce platform will help connect artisans to buyers directly, enabling them to expand to newer customers and markets.
- Microsoft in association with the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) also curated a special curriculum in ‘CAD and Color for Handloom Weaving’ to provide digital training in handloom design.
Dell Organizes India’s First Policy Hack for Teachers :
- Dell organizes an interactive hackathon, as a part of its three-city PolicyHack series for teacher who are focused on their learning journey.
- Dell has collaborated with UNESCO Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP) and Ignus for its first-of-its-kind hackathon with an aim to create a platform where teachers, school representatives and a cross-sectional group expert related to education can interact with each other.
- The PolicayHack was conducted in two levels where over 80 schools Pan India shared their statements of purposes.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
US spy satellite launched into orbit from California :
- A powerful Delta 4 Heavy rocket carrying a U.S. spy satellite lifted off from California.
- The central core booster’s Aerojet Rocketdyne RS-68A engine continued fired until the upper stage’s single RL10B-2 engine ignited to continue the climb to space.
- National Reconnaissance Office satellites gathers intelligence information for U.S. national security and an array of other purposes including assessing impacts of natural disasters.
Rajoelina sworn in as Madagascar’s president:
- Andry Rajoelina was sworn in as President of Madagascar in Antananarivo for a five-year term.He won nearly 56% to defeat another former president, Marc Ravalomanana.
- Andry Rajoelina was president of Madagascar’s transitional government from 2009 to 2014.
Prime Minister: Christian Ntsay.
AWARDS & HONOURS
Ranjani Murali Wins ‘Woman’s Voice Award’ At AKLF 2019 :
- US-based Indian poet Ranjani Murali received the ‘Woman’s Voice Award’ at the Apeejay Kolkata Literary Festival (AKLF).The award carries a cash prize of Rs 1 lakh apart from a citation.
- The objective of the award – ‘Prabha Khaitan Womans Voice Award’ – is to recognise and encourage creative writing by women in India, to create a forum for their work and to support the publication of their writing.
- Murali’s first book of poems ‘Blind Screens’ was published in July 2017 while her second book of poems ‘Clearly you are ESL’ had earlier won ‘The Great Indian Poetry Collectives (GIPCs) Editors Choice award.
Virat Kohli Bags Three Major ICC Awards :
- Virat Kohli creates history by bagging three major ICC Awards for his contributions in 2018.Virat Kohli has become the first player in history to win the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for ICC Cricketer of the Year, the ICC Men’s Test Player of the Year and the ICC ODI Player of the Year awards following an extraordinary 2018.
- The India captain becomes the first player to win all three of top awards after being named the captain of the Test and ODI teams earlier in the day.
Bharat Ratna CNR Rao chosen for Sheikh Saud International Prize for Materials Research :
- Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research announced that the Centre for Advanced Materials of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) chose Eminent Scientist and Bharat Ratna recipient CNR Rao for the first Sheikh Saud International Prize for Materials Research.
- Professor CNR Rao will be awarded the first Sheikh Saud International Prize on 25th February 2019 during the International Workshop on Advanced Materials at Ras Al Khairmain, UAE.
- The Award containing a plaque, a medal and a Cash Prize of USD 100000 will be presented by Sheikh Saud to Professor CNR Rao.
Khelo India Youth Games: Hosts Maharashtra finish top with 228 medals
- The Khelo India Youth Games concluded at the Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex, Balewadi in Pune with the host Maharashtra leading the medals table by winning a mammoth 85 gold, 62 silver and 81 bronze for a total of 228 medals in the Games.
- Union Minister for Human Resource Development Prakash Javadekar and Maharashtra Sports Minister Vinod Tawde presented the winning trophy at the closing ceremony in Pune.
- Haryana, stood at second place with 62 gold, 56 silver and 60 bronze for a total of 178 medals.Delhi stood third with 48 gold, 37 silver and 51 bronze, a tally of 136 medals.
STATIC:Sports Authority of India:
Director General: Neelam Kapoor
Lovlina wins gold medal, Manisha settles for silver in Women’s National Boxing Championships:
- World Championship bronze medallist Assam’s Lovlina Borgohain claimed the gold medal while Haryana boxer Manisha Moun had to settle with silver at the Women’s National Boxing Championships held at the JSW Sports’ Inspire Institute of Sports, Vijayanagara, Karnataka.
- Lovlina Borgohain of Assam won the gold in 69 kg category bout.Manisha Moun lost to Meenakumari of All India Police (AIP) in the finals of 54 kg class.
Manipur, Meghalaya, Tripura celebrating statehood day :
- Manipur, Meghalaya and Tripura are celebrating their statehood day.It is their 47th statehood day.