DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : JANUARY 26, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : JANUARY 26, 2018
Ministry of Road Transport & Highways inks with IL&FS
- An MoU was signed between National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation (NHIDCL) under the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, and Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services (IL&FS) Ltd.
- It is for the construction of the 14.150 km long, 2-lane bi-directional Zojila Tunnel in Jammu & Kashmir.The total capital cost of the project is Rs 6808.69 crore.
- This would be India’s longest road tunnel and the longest bi-directional tunnel in Asia. The construction of this tunnel will provide all weather connectivity between Srinagar, Kargil and Leh.
CEO: Arun K. Saha
The Jaipur Literature Festival 2018 Begins
- The annual Jaipur Literature Festival (JLF) began in Rajasthan.
- It was inaugurated by former Rajasthan governor Margaret Alva and British-born American essayist and novelist Pico Iyer.
- Poetry will be a dominant theme at 2018 JLF.
- The event will be held in Diggi Palace,Amber Fort and Hawa Mahal of Rajasthan.
Labour Ministry plans to issue UWIN Cards
- The labour ministry will begin a drive in April to register over 47 crore unorganised sector workers and provide them with Unorganised Worker Index Number or UWIN Card.
- It aims to bring them under the social security net and it also to provide them benefits of various social security schemes run by retirement fund body EPFO and state health insurer ESIC.
- The UWIN Card would have unique number which would be seeded with Aadhaar.
10 ASEAN leaders attend India’s Republic Day celebration
- The Country celebrates its 69th Republic Day on 26th January in Rajpath, New Delhi.
- The heads of ten ASEAN countries are chief guests at this Republic Day.
- The family members of Corporal Jyoti Prakash Nirala (Posthumous) of the Indian Air Force (IAF) received India’s highest peacetime gallantry award, Ashok Chakra.
NSIC inks pact with Malaysia’s SME Corporation
- National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC) signed an MoU with SME Corporation Malaysia for exchange of information and cooperation.
- The two entities will also work together for improving competitiveness of Indian and Malaysian MSMEs in global markets.
- Another agreement was also signed between Orchid Life (Malaysia) and Vimta Labs (India).
Capital: Kuala Lumpur
Currency: Malaysian ringgit
Prime Minister: Najib Razak
Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) Minister: Giriraj Singh
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
India Ranks 177 in EPI 2018
- India ranks 177th position among 180 countries in the Environmental Performance Index 2018.
- The list was released by yale and columbia universities along with the world economic forum.
- The report was released during the ongoing world economic forum in Davos, Switzerland.
The top five countries in the list are:
Vodafone and Flipkart Tie up for 4G Smartphones
- Vodafone India has partnered with e-commerce marketplace Flipkart to provide a range of entry-level 4G smartphones.
- It has been planned to sell at an effective price of ₹999.
- Vodafone has rolled out cash-back offers on a select range of entry-level 4G smartphone models available under Flipkart’s #MyFirst4GSmartphone campaign.
Associate Director (Consumer Business), Vodafone India: Avneesh Khosla
India to grow at 7.4 percent in 2018: IMF
- According to the International Monetary Fund (IMF) India is projected to grow at 7.4 percent in 2018 and China at 6.8 percent. It makes India as the fastest growing country among the emerging economies.
- Due to demonetisation and implementation of the Goods and Services Tax (GST), India’s economy slowed down a little bit to 6.7 percent in 2016.
- The IMF has projected a 7.8 per cent growth rate for India in 2019. It is released on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum, in Davos, Switzerland.
Govt collects Rs 86,703 cr under GST in December
- The total revenue collection under GST for December 2017 (received up to January 24) was ₹86,703 crore.
- Nearly one crore taxpayers have been registered under GST till January 24, 2018, announced by Finance Ministry.
- Average monthly collection in past five months is about ₹74,000 crore.
Future acquires Snapdeal’s logistics arm
- Kishore Biyani’s Future Supply Chain Solutions has fully acquired Snapdeal’s logistics service provider Vulcan Express Pvt Ltd.
- It has been acquired for Rs.35 crore.
- Vulcan company plans to boost its last mile capabilities and also offer state-of-the-art solutions to its e-commerce and retail clients.
Future Group founder and chairman: Kishore Biyani
Snapdeal chief Strategy and Investment officer: Jason Kothari
AWARDS AND HONOURS
Govt announces Padma Awards 2018
- The Centre has announced the list of 2018 Padma awardees.
- The awards — Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri — are announced on the eve of the Republic Day every year.
- They are given in different fields and disciplines such as art, literature and education, sports, medicine, social work, science and engineering, public affairs, civil service, trade and industry.
- The nominations are placed before the Padma Awards Committee, constituted by the prime minister. The top 4 civilian honors – Bharat Ratna > Padma Vibhushan > Padma Bhushan > Padma Shri do not carry any prize money.
Ilayaraja: Art (Music), Tamil Nadu
Ghulam Mustafa Khan: Art (Music), Uttar Pradesh
Parameswaran Parameswaran: Literature & Education, Kerala
Bengali actor Supriya Choudhury passed away
- Famous actress Supriya Devi passed away. She hails from West Bengal.
- Supriya devi acted in 45 Bengali films till 2006 with her last film being The Namesake. She is a Padma Shri award winner.