DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : JANUARY 31, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : JANUARY 31, 2018
Third Scorpene-class submarine INS Karanj launched
- The Indian Navy has launched the third Scorpene class submarine Karanj in Mumbai.
- It has been constructed by shipbuilder Mazagon Dock Limited in collaboration with French shipbuilding major Naval Group,formerly DCNS. The Karanj is built under the Project 75 programme.
- A total of six submarines are going to be built at the MDL. The first of the six Scorpene-class submarine is Kalvari and the second one is Khandari.
Navy Chief Admiral: Sunil Lanba
5 MPs Chosen for Outstanding Parliamentarian Award
- The Indian Parliamentary Group headed by Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan has announced five Outstanding Parliamentarian Awards.
- The award winners are Manipur’s governor and five time Rajya Sabha member Najma A Heptulla (2013), BJP’s Lok Sabha member Hukumdev Narayan Yadav (2014), Lok Sabha MP Dinesh Trivedi (2016) and Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha and Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad (2015) and five-time Rajya Sabha member Bhartruhari Mahtab of the Lok Biju Janata Dal (BJD) (2017).
- The Outstanding Parliamentarian Award was established in 1995. So far 18 eminent MPs have received the award.
PM Narendra Modi launches Khelo India School Games
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launches the first Khelo India School Games at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium, New Delhi.
- The week-long inaugural edition will be an Under-17 event where athletes have been invited to participate across 16 different games.
- The Khelo India programme has been introduced to revive the sports culture in the country at the grass-root level. Annual financial assistance of Rs. 5 lakh per annum for 8 years will be be provided for the talented players.
Postage stamp released in honour of footballer T Ao
- Assam Governor Prof Jagdish Mukhi has released a postage stamp on former India football captain Dr Talimeren Ao on his birth centenary year.
- He had captained the Indian team in 1948 London Olympics and played for Mohun Bagan for several years in the 1940s.
- He hails from Naga Hills region of Assam.
“Stree Swabhiman” initiative by MeITY
- The Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeITY) has launched “Stree Swabhiman” initiative.
- The aim of the initiative is to provide adolescent girls and women, an easy access to affordable sanitary products.
- The sanitary napkin micro manufacturing units are being set up at Common Services Centres CSCs across India, particularly those operated by women entrepreneurs.
Union Minister: Ravi Shankar Prasad
Constituency: Bihar, Rajya Sabha
Karnataka gets Asia’s largest drip irrigation project with Israeli tech
- The Asia’s largest drip irrigation project involving 2,150 kilometres of pipeline will be started at Ramthal Marola area of Bagalkot district in Karnataka.
- The project is executed by one of India’s largest infrastructure firms Megha Engineering & Infrastructures (MEIL) and it will be inaugurated by the Karnataka water resources minister MB Patil.
- It will be built with technical assistance from the Israel firm Netafim and it is the first project in India with Israeli drip irrigation technology. It will be maintained by MEIL for five years.
Chief Minister: Siddaramaiah
Governor: Vajubhai Vala
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
India 6th wealthiest country: Report
- India has been ranked sixth in the list of wealthiest countries with total wealth of USD 8,230 billion.
- According to a report by New World Wealth, the United States is the wealthiest country in the world as the total wealth held in 2017 amounted to USD 64,584 billion.
- It is followed by China at the second place with USD 24,803 billion and Japan with USD 19,522 billion at third.
- The Total wealth refers to the private wealth held by all the individuals living in each country/city.
ADB sign $ 250mn loan agreement for rural roads in India
- Asian Development Bank and the Centre have signed a 250 million dollar loan agreement.
- It is to finance the construction of over 6,200 kilometres rural roads in 5 states.
- It includes Assam, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha and West Bengal under the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY).
- Joint Secretary (Multilateral Institutions) in Department of Economic Affairs Sameer Kumar Khare signed the loan agreement on behalf of Government of India.
Headquarters: Manila, Philippines
President: Takehiko Nakao
India’s crude steel production rises 6.2% to 101.4 MT in 2017
- India’s crude steel production grew by 6.2 percent to 101.4 million tonnes (MT) in 2017 compared to 95.5 MT in the previous year, a report by World Steel Association.
- China remained the world leader (First Spot) by producing 831.7 MT in 2017 and Japan is the the second largest global steel producer.
- India has overtaken the US to become the world’s third largest steel producer.
Axis Bank launches 4th edition of “Evolve”
- Private sector Axis Bank today launched the fourth edition of ‘Evolve’ in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.
- It is an annual multi-city knowledge series for Bank’s SME customers.
- The current edition of evolve is titled “Transform your Family Business into your dream company”.
CEO: Shikha Sharma
Tagline: Badhti ka naam zindagi
Vikram Singh Sisodia named Chef-de-Mission for CWG
- The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has appointed its joint secretary Vikram Singh Sisodia as the Chef-de-Mission for the upcoming Commonwealth Games.
- The IOA also appointed three team managers to accompany Sisodia.
- The 21st Commonwealth Games will be held from April 4 to 15 in Gold Coast, the second largest city in Australia.
- President: Narinder Dhruv Batra
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
Table Tennis: Sharath Kamal lifts National Men’s singles title
- Sharath Kamal has lifted the National men’s singles title for the eighth time, equals Kamlesh Mehta record.
- The Senior Table Tennis Nationals was held in Ranchi, Jharkhand.
- He defeated top-seed Anthony Amalraj in the finals and received two lakh rupees as prize money.
- Sutirtha Mukherjee from West Bengal emerged the new women champion, beating Hyderabad Nationals winner Manika Batra. She fetched the cash prize of 1.5 lakh rupees.
CHECK YOUR KNOWLEDGE HERE