DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: May 10, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (May 10, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
ELCITA inaugurates foot over bridge at Electronics City:
- Electronics City Industrial Township Authority (ELCITA) in collaboration with Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE), inaugurated a footover bridge connecting the east and west phases of Electronics City on Hosur Road near the toll plaza to avoid accidents involving pedestrians crossing the road.
WHO partnered with IFBA to eliminate industrially produced trans-fat:
- WHO (World Health organization) collaborated with the International Food and Beverage Alliance (IFBA) to eliminate industrially produced trans-fat (iTFA) from food supply worldwide by 2023.
- WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus met with IFBA representatives, including chief executive officers from several of the 12 companies comprising the alliance, on 2 May 2019 to discuss actions to take to eliminate industrial trans fats, and reduce salt, sugar and saturated fats in processed foods.
FDA Approves First Vaccine for the Prevention of Dengue Disease in Endemic Regions:
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announces the approval of “Dengvaxia”, the first vaccine approved for the prevention of dengue disease caused by all dengue virus serotypes (1, 2, 3 and 4) in people ages 9 through 16 who have laboratory-confirmed previous dengue infection and who live in endemic areas.
- Dengue is endemic in the U.S. territories of American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The vaccine is also known as CYD-TDV and made by company Sanofi Pasteur.
India-Turkey Foreign Office Consultations:
- Mr Sedat Onal, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of Turkey visited India from 07-09 May 2019.
- They discussed on the different facets of bilateral ties, cultural interaction, tourism and people-to-people network between India and Turkey and also evaluated opportunities for improving the trade and investment relations between the 2 nations.
- At present, the bilateral trade is around $ 8.6 billion and is targeted to reach $ 10 billion by 2020.
India signs protocol for export of chilli meal to China:
- India and China signed a protocol for the export of Indian chilli meal to China. This is the fourth protocol signed between the two nations over the past year allowing the export of farm commodities from India.
- In order to bridge the trade deficit (which stood at 50.12 $ billion during April-February 2018-19), India is seeking larger market access in the Chinese market for its manufactured and agricultural products. This is why India has shared a list of 380 products with China that includes horticulture, textiles, chemicals and pharmaceutical products.
Qantas operates the world’s first zero-waste flight:
- Recently, the Australian flight carrier, Qantas has operated world’s first zero waste commercial flight named QF739 from Sydney to Adelaide which disposed all waste through compost, reuse or recycle.
- The Australian airline Qantas has planned to eliminate 100 million single-use plastics by the end of 2020 and also to reduce 75% of airline’s waste by the end of 2021.
REPORTS/ RANKING BY VARIOUS ORGANISATIONS
PM Narendra Modi 2nd most followed politician globally on social media, says report:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is the second most followed politician in the world on social media after former US President Barack Obama, according to a report.
- Modi has a total audience of 110.9 million on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Obama’s total following stood at 182.7 million, the report released by digital marketing platform SEMrush.
Ind-Ra follows ICRA, downgrades Yes Bank:
- India Ratings & Research (Ind-Ra) followed its peer ICRA and downgraded Yes Bank a couple of notches to AA- from AA+, which could increase the bank’s cost of market borrowings and will add pressure on it to raise equity which may have to be done at a discount as investors have expressed their discomfort on its asset quality and rising credit costs.
Former SC Judge K S Radhakrishnan Appointed Member of Commonwealth Secretariat Arbitral Tribunal, London:
- K S Radhakrishnan, former Supreme Court Judge, has been appointed as a member of the Commonwealth Secretariat Arbitral Tribunal, London. He will render his services as a member of the Tribunal for a period of four years from 1st of June, 2019 to 31st of May, 2023.
BANKING & BUSINESS
Microsoft unveils open source software ‘ElectionGuard’ for secure, verifiable voting:
- In a bid to help countries ensure secure and verifiable voting, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella has announced “ElectionGuard” a free open-source Software Development Kit (SDK).
- “ElectionGuard” will enable end-to-end verification of elections, open results to third-party organisations for secure validation, and allow individual voters to confirm their votes were correctly counted, announced Nadella during the keynote at Microsoft Build developer conference in Seattle.
Talocity to enable AI-backed hiring in Yes Bank:
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)-based HR solutions provider Talocity would provide Yes Bank its AI-supported “touchless” technology for the bank’s hiring process and Human Resource (HR) operations, Talocity.
- According to the statement, the candidates are interviewed by an AI bot on a one-way video platform and Talocity’s machine learning and AI capabilities create personality reports, for each job applicant, which tells Yes Bank about the applicant’s relevance to the job.
Mukesh Ambani’s RIL buys out British toymaker Hamleys for £68 million:
- Reliance Brands, a subsidiary of Reliance Industries Ltd. (RIL), has signed a definitive agreement with C Banner International, a Hong Kong-listed company, to acquire 100% shares of centuries-old British toy retailer Hamleys for £68 million.
Bank credit grows 13.2% in FY19:
- Bank credit grew by 13.2% in financial year 2018-19 as compared to 10.3% in the previous financial year, mainly aided by loans to services and retail sector. Deposit growth also gained momentum, growing by 10% as compared to 6.7% a year ago.
Bharat Pe launches UPI Bahi Khata for merchants for seamless networking and business expansion:
- India’s first Fintech (Financial technology) start-up enabling payments via interoperable UPI (Unified Payments Interface) QR (Quick Response) codes, BharatPe notified its venture into merchant services by launching a new app “UPI Bahi Khata”.
- It allows merchants to keep a track of their cash/credit (Udhar) sales customer wise, to request the accounts receivable from customers through SMS (Short Message Service) payment links or through WhatsApp and to record accounts that are payable to suppliers.
Indian giant Amul to sponsor Afghanistan in 2019 World Cup:
- Amul has been announced as the principal sponsor of the Afghanistan cricket team for the upcoming World Cup, slated to be held in England and Wales from May 30.
- The logo of brand Amul will appear on the leading arm of the Afghanistan team playing jerseys as well as on the training kits throughout the showpiece event.
Changwon Shotgun World Cup: Ganemat Sekhon best-placed Indian at 7th
- India’s Ganemat Sekhon returned the joint third-best score in the Women’s Skeet event at this year’s third International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup Shotgun Stage 2 in Changwon, Korea. She was in seventh place in a field of 56 in women’s skeet.
IMPORTANT EVENTS OF THE DAY
5th United Nations Global Road Safety Week observed from May 6 to 12:
- Celebrated once in two years, the 5th United Nations Global Road Safety Week is being observed from May 6 to 12, 2019. It emphasizes that everyone can be a leader for road safety.
- The theme for this year’s weekly event is “Leadership for road safety”.
Indian Army to commemorate 2019 as ‘Year of next of kin’:
- The Indian Army is commemorating this year as the ‘Year of Next of Kin’ and plans to reach out to the next of kin of battle casualties, ex-servicemen and serving soldiers to inform them of entitled financial benefits, welfare schemes and help resolve pension related problems.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
#1 TRENDING VIDEO in Race YOUTUBE CHANNEL