DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: JANUARY 31, 2019
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (January 31, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness , Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Nagaland CM inaugurated State’s first Astro Turf Football Pitch:
- Nagaland has got its first Astro Turf Football Pitch at Indira Gandhi Stadium in Kohima on the occasion of 100th Birth Anniversary of the legendary footballer, Dr. T. Ao.
- Inaugurating the Astro Turf Football Pitch t, Nagaland Chief Minister Mr. Neiphiu Rio said it is a landmark occasion for the state to have its first Astro Turf Pitch and a dream come true.
I&B Ministry to increase advertisement rates by 11% to private TV channels:
- Information and Broadcasting Ministry has decided to revise the advertisement rates offered by the Bureau of Outreach and Communication (BOC) to private TV channels.
- The Ministry in a statement said, the revision would lead to an increase in rates of around 11 per cent over the rates of 2017 in respect of most of the private TV channels.
PM Modi to hold ‘Pariksha Pe Charcha 2.0’:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi held the second townhall Pariksha Pe Charcha 2.0 at Talkatora Stadium of New Delhi where around 2,000 students, parents and teachers interacted with him about the exam related issues and problems of students ahead and after board exams.
Indians could live up to 3 years more if there’s a 25% reduction in air pollution:
- India’s Environment Minister Harsh Vardhan declared a “war against pollution” and launched the National Clean Air Programme (NCAP).
- NCAP calls for a 20 to 30 per cent reduction in particulate pollution over the next five years.
- Our report titled – India’s ‘War Against Pollution’: An Opportunity for Longer Lives, released finds that a 25 per cent reduction in particulate pollution in India (the midpoint of the NCAP’s goal) would yield vast improvements in life expectancy—as much as three years in the most polluted areas.
First meeting of Lokpal search committee headed by Judge Ranjana Prakash Desai held in New Delhi:
- An eight-member search panel formed to select members of anti-corruption ombudsman Lokpal held its first meeting, nearly four months after it was announced by the Modi government.
- The committee, headed by former Supreme Court judge Ranjana Prakash Desai, is understood to have discussed modalities related to the appointments of the chief and members of Lokpal.
Maharashtra Government launched Special Scheme to Curb infant deaths:
- The Maharashtra government launched a special scheme to curb infant deaths. Child Development Minister Pankaja Munde distributed baby-care kits to the children born in primary health centres and government hospitals.
- The scheme is applicable only for the first child and will benefit around four lakh women across the state, Women. The cost of the kit is around Rs 2,000.
K J Alphons to Inaugurate first Swadesh Darshan Project in Sikkim:
- Shri. K.J. Alphons, Union Minister for Tourism will be inaugurating the project “Development of North East Circuit: Rangpo– Rorathang- Aritar- Phadamchen- Nathang-Sherathang- Tsongmo- Gangtok-Phodong- Mangan- Lachung-Yumthang- Lachen- Thangu-Gurudongmer- Mangan- Gangtok-Tuminlingee- Singtam” implemented under Swadesh Darshan Scheme of Ministry of Tourism, Government of India in the presence of Shri Ugen T. Gyatso, Minister of Tourism & Civil Aviation, Government of Sikkim in Zero Point, Gangtok.
- This project was sanctioned by the Ministry of Tourism in June 2015 for Rs. 98.05 Crores.
World’s longest expressway: Construction of Ganga express way to connect Prayagraj with western Uttar Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh is set to construct the World’s Longest Expressway. During the ongoing Kumbh Mela, the Yogi Adityanath-led UP government approved the construction of the Ganga Expressway for better connectivity of Prayagraj with western districts of the state.
- UP Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath presided over the cabinet meeting, where the approval for the construction of the 600-km long expressway was given.
Centre reconstitutes tribunal to adjudicate ban imposed on 8 Manipur insurgent groups:
- The Centre has reconstituted a tribunal to adjudicate matters related to extension of ban imposed on eight insurgent groups in Manipur for five more years over continued involvement in unlawful and violent activities.
- In a notification, the Home Ministry said the tribunal has been set up under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967 and will be headed by Delhi High Court judge Justice G S Sistani.
Western Railway provides ‘segway’ to RPF personnel:
The Western Railway has provided segways, the two-wheeled, self-balancing and battery-powered electric vehicles, to the Railway Protection Force (RPF) personnel deployed at major railway stations in Mumbai.
The vehicle, introduced on the Republic Day, will help the RPF in keeping an eye on every nook and corner of the railway stations, especially on long platforms, Western Railway’s Chief PRO Ravinder Bhakar.
Italy, UN launch Africa Centre for Climate and Sustainable Development:
- Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte has opened a new centre in Rome set up by the government in partnership with the UN to fight climate change and boost sustainable development in Africa.
- It will help develop and scale-up innovative solutions for sustainable development, implement the goals of the UN’s 2030 Agenda and the landmark 2015 Paris Climate Agreement to end reliance on fossil fuels and cap global warming.
UAE, Saudi Central banks launch common digital currency called ‘Aber’:
- The central banks of the UAE and Saudi Arabia have launched a common digital currency called “Aber”, which will be used in financial settlements between the two countries through Blockchains and Distributed Ledgers technologies.
- Through this digital currency, both the United Arab Emirates Central Bank (UAECB) and the Saudi Arabian Monetary Authority (SAMA) are studying the impact on the improvement and reduction of remittance costs and the assessments of risks.
India Ranked at 78th Position in Global Corruption Index, Denmark Topped:
- “Corruption Perceptions Index 2018”, the group’s latest report on business leaders’ perceptions of corruption, had India marginally improve its score to 41 (from 40 in 2017), and its position to 78 out of 180 countries in 2018 against 2017’s 81st, where it had slid from 79 in 2016.
- The Asia-Pacific region included top performers like Denmark topped with a score of 88, New Zealand on the second position worldwide with a score of 87 Singapore at number 3 with 85 points, Australia at no 13 with 77 and Japan at no 18 at 73.
BANKING & ECONOMY
RBI to inject Rs 37,500 crore through OMO in February:
- The Reserve Bank of India said that it will inject Rs.37,500 crore into the system through purchase of government securities in February to increase liquidity through three auctions of Rs 125 billion each during the 2nd, 3rd and 4th week.
- It has been monitoring the evolving liquidity conditions and durable liquidity requirements of the system.
Anti-dumping duty imposed on Chinese chemical import:
- The government has imposed an anti-dumping duty on a chemical from China, used in photography and manufacturing of dyes, for five years to protect domestic producers of the chemical intermediate from cheap shipments.
- The anti-dumping duty on Meta Phenylenediamine (MPDA) imported from China will be in the range USD 573.92-USD 1,015.44 a tonne, according to a notification of the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC).
SEBI proposes relaxed norms for REITs, InvITs to increase access to investors:
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has proposed a new framework for REITs (Real Estate Investment Trusts) and InvITs (Infrastructure Investment Trusts). This is aimed at providing flexibility to the issuers in terms of fund raising and increasing the access of these investment vehicles to investors.
- Under the proposal, minimum allotment and trading lot for publicly issued REITs and InvITs will be reduced. Besides, it has been proposed that the leverage limit for InvITs will be increased from existing 49 per cent to 70 per cent.
- Currently, in the case of a REIT issue, the minimum subscription from any investor in an initial offer and follow-on public offer is not less than Rs.2 lakh, while the same is Rs.10 lakh in case of InvIT.
Vice Admiral Ajit Kumar P takes over as Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief Western Naval Command:
- Vice Admiral Ajit Kumar P, PVSM, AVSM, VSM took over as the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Western Naval Command at Mumbai. He succeeds Vice Admiral Girish Luthra, PVSM, AVSM, VSM, ADC who retires upon superannuation.
MS Pawar Assumes Charge as Deputy Chief of the Naval Staff (DCNS):
- Vice Admiral MS Pawar, AVSM, VSM has assumed charge as Deputy Chief of the Naval Staff.
Vice Admiral G Ashok Kumar took charge as Vice Chief of Naval Staff:
- Vice Admiral G Ashok Kumar, AVSM, VSM assumed charge as Vice Chief of the Naval Staff. An alumnus of National Defence Academy at Khadakvasla in Pune, he was commissioned into the Executive Branch of the Indian Navy on July 1, 1982.
Pakistan Appoints Its First Ever Female Hindu Civil Judge:
- Pakistan has appointed the country’s first ever Hindu female civil judge Suman Kumari, who hails from Qambar-Shahdadkot in Sindh province.
Civil Aviation Secretary Rajiv Nayan Choubey Named UPSC Member:
- Civil Aviation Secretary Rajiv Nayan Choubey has been named as the member of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) that conducts prestigious civil services examination to select the country’s bureaucrats, diplomats and police officers.
Sunjay Sudhir appointed as India’s envoy to the Maldives:
- Senior diplomat Sunjay Sudhir has been appointed as India’s Ambassador to the Maldives, the Ministry of External Affairs announced. Sudhir, a 1993 batch Indian Foreign Service officer who is presently Joint Secretary in the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
AWARDS & HONOURS
Piyush Goyal to Receive Carnot Prize for Power Reforms, Rural Electrification:
- Union Finance Minister Piyush Goyal will receive the Carnot prize for his contribution towards sustainable energy solutions, with a team from University of Pennsylvania.
Tata steel masters: Magnus Carlsen won the title, Viswanathan Anand finishes Joint third
- The thirteenth and final round of the Masters’ segment of Tata Steel Chess saw Magnus Carlsen hold Anish Giri to a draw in a 30-move long game to clinch the title. For the reigning world champion, this was the seventh time that he has won the event.
- Anish Giri was a close second at 8.5 while Ian Nepomniachtchi, Ding Liren and Viswanathan Anand shared third place at 7.5.
ICC Rankings: Holder becomes first West Indies player since Garry Sobers to top all-rounder charts
- Jason Holder has become the first West Indian since cricket great Garfield Sobers to be named as the world’s leading all-rounder following his superb display against England in Barbados.
IMPORTANT EVENTS OF THE DAY
World Leprosy Day:
- World Leprosy Day is observed internationally every year on the last Sunday of January to increase the public awareness of the Leprosy or Hansen’s Disease.
World Leprosy Eradication Day 2019:
- But 30th January 2019 is celebrated as World Leprosy Eradication Day in India and marks the recognition and the need of eradicating the disease. It also brings to light the discrimination and stigma that people suffering from leprosy face from society every day.
National Martyr’s Day or Sarvodaya Day 2019:
- In India, there are five days declared as Martyrs’ Day (at national level also known as Sarvodaya day). 30th January is the date observed at the national level. The date was chosen as it marks the assassination of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi Ji in 1948, by Nathuram Godse.
Amrik Singh Nagra, Ex-Ranji Player Died of Cardiac Arrest Aged 49:
- Former Ranji player and a Cricket coach, Amrik Singh Nagra, died of a cardiac arrest while training students on the ground at the Baba Ishar Singh School, Ludhiana.