Daily Current Affairs : January 31, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (January 31, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
National Backward Day
- January 31st honors everything backward with National Backward Day.
- The day provides an opportunity to reverse our ways, our direction or simply our shirt.
TERI’s World Sustainable Development Summit 2020 held in New Delhi
- TERI’s World Sustainable Development Summit 2020 on ‘Energy Future Road Map’ held in New Delhi.
- Started in 2001, the Summit has become a focal point for leaders and stakeholders across the world to bridge thought and action for sustainable development.
Union HRD Minister chairs the meeting of the Indian National Commission For Cooperation (INCCU) with UNESCO in New Delhi
- Union Human Resource Development Minister Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ chaired the meeting of the Indian National Commission for Cooperation with UNESCO (INCCU) in New Delhi.
- The membership of National Commission consists of members of Five Sub Commissions namely, Sub Commission for (i) Education (ii) Natural Sciences (iii) Social Sciences (iv) Communication (v) Culture
- The Director General of UNESCO: Ms Audrey Azoulay.
Indian Railways implementing Automatic Identification and Data Collection (AIDC) of Rolling Stock (RFID Project)
- Creating a new segment in the AIDC (Automatic Identification and Data Collection) industry in India uniquely suited for the Indian Railways requirements.
- RFID project has been taken up which aims to automatically and accurately track and trace rolling stock as they move across the country with a special focus on improving their safety and reliability.
Shri Nitin Gadkari Launches Special Edition of Khadi Watches
- On the occasion of Martyrs’ Day, paying tribute on the 72nd death anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, Union Minister for MSME, Shri Nitin Gadkari, launched the limited edition of Khadi wrist watches in New Delhi.
- Chairman of Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC): Vinai Kumar Saxena.
Ashutosh Sharma inaugurates Digital Gandhi Gyan Vigyan Exhibition Phase-II
- The Secretary, Department of Science & Technology, Ashutosh Sharma inaugurated the Phase-II of the Digital Gandhi Gyan Vigyan Exhibition on Martyr’s Day.
- The Exhibition showcased Augmented Reality & Virtual Reality events related to the life of Gandhi.
Delhi airport gets a new women-only cab service
- ‘Women with Wheels’ cab service was started at Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA), New Delhi. The service was initiated by ‘Sakha cabs’ for the safety of women.
- CM: Arvind Kejriwal
- Governor: Anil Baijal
India-Bangladesh JT Exercise SAMPRITI-IX
- Indo-Bangladesh defence cooperation, a joint military training exercise SAMPRITI-IX is being conducted at UMROI, Meghalaya, India from 03 Feb to 16 Feb 2020.
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Taka
- Prime minister: Sheikh Hasina
- President: Abdul Hamid
WHO declares coronavirus as Public Health Emergency of International Concern
- The decision was taken in the second consecutive meeting of the Emergency Committee convened by the WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
- WHO HQ: Geneva, Switzerland
- Director-General: Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
India, France to partner to develop museums, culture spaces and organise exhibitions and festivals
- Ministry of Culture said the working group would explore partnership between the National Museum in Delhi and a French counterpart to be designated by the French government.
- Capital: Paris
- Currency: Euro
- President: Emmanuel Macron
Banking and Financial
FICCI survey projects FY20 GDP growth at 5%, to improve to 5.5% in FY21
- Industry body FICCI said its Economic Outlook Survey has projected the country’s annual median GDP growth for 2019-20 at 5%, in line with the forecasts made by NSO.
- Survey has put the growth forecast for agriculture & allied activities at 2.6% for 2019-20.
- Industry & services sector forecasts are at 3.5% & 7.2%.
Bharti Airtel removed from DGFT’s ‘denied entry list’
- Bharati Airtel placed under the ‘denied entry list’ lose their import licence
- The telecom company, had on Wednesday, clarified to the stock exchanges that the company is closely working with DGFT to get its name removed from the list.
Kotak Mahindra Bank gets RBI nod to cap promoters’ voting rights at 20% till March
- Kotak Mahindra Bank said the RBI accepted promoters’ voting rights to be capped at 20% till March.
- The RBI’s licensing rules mandate a private bank’s promoter to pare holding to 40% within 3 years, 20 percent in 10 years and 15 percent within 15 years.
- Voting rights in the bank will be capped to 15% from April 1.
Science and Technology
OPPO, IIT-Hyderabad to take up joint R&D projects
- OPPO, the global smartphone brand, and IIT-Hyderabad have joined hands to take up joint R & D projects in advanced and emerging technologies.
- The areas identified are battery, camera & image processing, networks (5G), system performance & AI among others.
Appointments and Resignation
Arvind Krishna to be new IBM CEO, replacing Ginni Rometty
- International Business Machines Corp. named Arvind Krishna as chief executive officer, replacing longtime CEO Virginia Rometty
- Krishna, 57, is currently the head of IBM’s cloud and cognitive software unit.
Govt appoints M Ajit Kumar as chairman of CBIC ahead of Budget
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment.
- The appointment comes just two days before the Union Budget presentation.
Rahul Bajaj steps down from executive role
- Rahul Bajaj will step down as chairman of the holding company, Bajaj Holdings & Investments, Bajaj Auto, and Bajaj Finserv.
Wipro CEO Abidali Neemuchwala steps down
- Neemuchwala joined Wipro from TCS in April 2015 as Group President and COO.
- He was elevated to Chief Executive Officer in February 2016.
- Wipro is headquartered in Bangalore.
Gita Sabharwal of India appointed UN Resident Coordinator in Thailand
- Gita Sabharwal of India appointed UN Resident Gita Sabharwal of India was appointed as the UN(United Nations) Resident Coordinator (RC) of Thailand by United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.
Dr. Partap chauhan honored with Ayurveda ratan award 2020 in Brussels, Belgium
- Dr Partap Chauhan conferred with prestigious Ayurveda award, the pioneer of Ayurvedic Telemedicine, has Conferred with Prestigious Ayurveda Ratan Award 2020 in Brussels, Belgium during Ayurveda Day Celebration at the European Parliament.
Padma Shri awardee and Indian Social Worker Tushar Kanjilal passed away at 85
- Tushar Kanjilal Dies at 85.
- On January 29,2020 Famous social worker, environmentalist, educationist & writer Tushar Kanjilal, 85 years old, passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- The government of India awarded Tushar Kanjilal the 4th highest civilian honour of Padma Shri in 1986.
Former Kerala Minister M. Kamalam passed away at 93.
- Former Kerala Minister & Senior Congress leader M.kamalam passed away at the age of 93 in kozhikode, Kerala.
World Games Athlete of the Year
- The Indian women’s team captain Rani Rampal became the first-ever hockey player to win the prestigious World Games Athlete of the Year Award.
National Shooting trials: Ayonika Paul and Vijayveer Sidhu emerge, winners
- Olympian Ayonika Paul has won the women’s 10m Air Rifle T1 event while Vijayveer Sidhu won the men’s 25m Pistol T2 event in the National Shooting trials at Thiruvananthapuram.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of January 31, 2020 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 6 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.