DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 1, 2019
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 1, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (February 1,2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness , Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
India approves indigenous construction of 6 submarines for Rs 40,000 crore:
- The Defence Acquisitions Council, DAC chaired by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman approved indigenous construction of six submarines worth 40 thousand crore rupees.
- It is the second project under the Ministry’s ambitious strategic partnership model aiming to boost the government’s Make in India’ program.
- The first project to get the government’s nod for implementation under the new model was the acquisition of 111 utility helicopters for the Navy at a cost of over 21 thousand crore rupees in August last year.
Government renames DIPP as Department for promotion Of Industry and Internal Trade :
- Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) renamed as Department of promotion of Industry and Internal Trade. The newly named department is under Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- The department will look into matters related to promotion of internal trade, including retail trade, will are of traders and their employees, facilitating ease of doing business and start-ups.
- Matters related to internal trade were earlier under the domain of Ministry of consumer affairs and now under the promotion of Industry and Internal Trade.
Punjab govt gave approval for ‘Smart Village Campaign’ worth of Rs 385 crores :
- Punjab government approved a rural development scheme”‘Smart Village Campaign” worth Rs 384.40 crore to build village infrastructure and provide essential amenities.
- Getting approved by Chief Minister Amarinder Singh, Reformation and implementation of the scheme would be financed with funds from the 14th Financial Commission and MGNREGA
- The SVC is aimed at improving the condition of rural areas by supplementing the ongoing government schemes for building infrastructure and providing essential amenities.
Maharashtra Government launches special scheme to curb infant deaths :
- The state government of Maharashtra launched a special scheme to curb infant deaths.
- The government started distributing baby-care kits to the children born in primary health centres and government hospitals, as part of its efforts to reduce the infant mortality rate.The total cost of each kit is around Rs 2,000.
- Women and Child Development Minister Pankaja Munde said that the scheme is only applicable for the first child and it is expected to benefit around four lakh women across the state.
National Salt Satyagraha Memorial Inaugurated At Dandi by P.M :
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi dedicated the National Salt Satyagraha Memorial at Dandi in Navsari district, Gujarat to the nation on Mahatma Gandhi’s death anniversary.
- At the memorial site, he also unveiled statues of Mahatma Gandhi and 80 Satyagrahis who had marched with him during the historic Dandi Salt March in 1930 to make salt from sea water against the British law.
- This prestigious work entrusted to CPWD by the Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India has been completed by the dedicated team of CPWD in 20 months’ time well within the sanctioned amount of Rs. 72.23 crores.
IAI announced agreement with Indian Navy and Cochin Shipyard :
- Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) announced entering into agreements worth $93 million for providing Naval Medium Range Surface-to-Air Missile (MRSAM) systems to India. The contracts for the air defence system were entered with the Indian Navy and the Cochin Shipyard.
- Under the contracts, IAI will provide complementary systems for the air defense system. They involve follow up orders for a range of maintenance and other services for various sub-systems of IAI’s advanced MSRAM ADS.
Currency: Israeli new shekel.
Italy, UN, launch Africa Centre for Climate and Sustainable Development :
- Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte has opened a new centre in partnership with the UN to fight climate change and boost sustainable development in Africa.
- The new centre is located near the headquarters of the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) in central Rome.
- It will help develop and scale-up innovative solutions for sustainable development, implement the goals of the UN’s 2030 Agenda and the landmark 2015 Paris Climate Agreement to end reliance on fossil fuels and cap global warming.
Unemployment rate at 6.1% in 2017-18, highest in over 4 decades: NSSO survey
- According to the National Sample Survey Office’s (NSSO’s) periodic labor force survey (PLFS) India’s unemployment rate hit a 45 year high of 6.1% in 2017-18.
- It is the first comprehensive survey on employment conducted by a government agency after demonetization.The rate of jobless rural males rose to 17.4% from 5% and among rural jobless females, the rate became 13.6% from 4.8%.Unemployment is higher in urban areas which is 7.8% as compared to 5.3% in rural areas of the country.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
ICICI Bank sacks her after Justice Srikrishna panel indicts Chanda Kochhar in Videocon Case:
- ICICI Bank decided to terminate the contract of former Managing Director and CEO Chanda Kochhar. A panel lead by B.N Srikrishna found that she violated the bank code of conduct.Bank appointed Sandeep Bakshi as CEO for after her resignation.
- The board also decide to retrieve bonuses paid to her from April 2009 to March 2018. During the period Kochhar was paid a performance bonus of about Rs.9.8cr.
Punit Goenka re-elected as new BARC India chairman :
- Punit Goenka , managing director and CEO, Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd has been re-elected the new chairman of TV viewership measurement company, BARC India.Punit Goenka succeeded Nakul Chopra who completed his year-long tenure as chairman.
LT Gen Rajeev Chopra takes over as DG NCC :
- Lt Gen Rajeev Chopra assumed the appointment of Director General of NCC (DGNCC). Commissioned in the Madras Regiment in December 1980, Lt Gen Chopra is an alumnus of the National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla and Indian Military Academy, Dehradun.Lt Gen Rajeev Chopra has commanded an infantry battalion in Operation Rhino (Assam).
Ajit Kumar took charge as Western Naval Command chief :
- Vice Admiral Ajit Kumar P, PVSM, AVSM, VSM took charge as the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Western Naval Command in Mumbai.
- Vice Admiral Ajit Kumar succeeded Vice Admiral Girish Luthra, who retired upon superannuation, after a career span of four decades in the Indian Navy.
BANKING & ECONOMY
Three Public Sector Banks Freed From PCA Framework :
- Three public sector lenders have been permitted to exit the Reserve Bank of India’s prompt corrective action framework.Bank of India, Bank of Maharashtra and Oriental Bank of Commerce have been allowed to exit the framework fully.
- In December, the government had announced a capital infusion of Rs 10,000 crore for Bank of India, Rs 5,500 crore for Oriental Bank of Commerce and Rs 4,500 crore for Bank of Maharashtra, which helped the banks coming out of the framework.
- Of the three banks where lending restrictions have been lifted, two — Bank of India and Bank of Maharashtra –– have managed to bring down their net non-performing asset ratio to below the RBI’s threshold and improve their capital adequacy.
Ujjivan Small Finance Bank launches Kisan Suvidha loan product for small and marginal farmers :
- ‘Kisan Suvidha loan’ for small and marginal farmers launched by Ujjivan Small Finance Bank.It provides loans to individuals with an amount ranging from Rs. 60000 to Rs. 2 Lakh to fulfill the customized needs of the mass market segment.
- Kisan Suvidha loan can be used by farmers for both agriculture and allied activities. The product is specially designed to cater to the needs of customers for various allied and agricultural activities.
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank launched the product in Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, Karnataka and Odisha with an eye to expand the product offerings.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Scientists Develop Artificial Pancreas Smartphone App For Diabetics:
- Scientists developed an artificial pancreas smartphone app that will help to analyze blood sugar levels in diabetes patients.
- This application is formed with the capacity to connect with glucose monitors, insulin pump devices, and decision-making algorithms.The app is effective in regulating glucose levels under challenging conditions and is suitable for use in unconstrained environments.
Coca-Cola is New ICC Global Sponsor, Runs Out PepsiCo:
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) signed a five-year global partnership deal with beverage manufacturer Coca-Cola Company .The deal is reportedly worth Rs 300 crore, according to reports.
- ICC and Coco-cola’s partnership will be continue till 2023. ICC also signed sponsorship with Alcobev brands, Royal Stag and Bira 91.
The International Year of the Periodic Table: 2019
- UNESCO launched 2019 as The International Year of the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements in Paris.
- The Periodic Table of Chemical Elements is one of the most significant achievements in science, capturing the essence not only of chemistry, but also of physics and biology.
- 2019 will be the 150th anniversary of the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements and has therefore been proclaimed the “International Year of the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements (IYPT2019)” by the United Nations General Assembly and UNESCO.