DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: JANUARY 8, 2019
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: JANUARY 8, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (January 8, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness , Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Union Cabinet approves 10% reservation for economically weaker sections in general category :
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved 10 % quota in jobs and educational institutions for economically weaker sections in general category.
- For the implementation of the quota, Articles 15 and 16 of the Constitution will have to be amended.
- The reservation will also be availed for admission in higher in higher educational institutions.Article 15 states that the State shall not discriminate against any citizen on grounds only of religion, race, caste, sex, place of birth or any of them.
- Article 16 guarantees the Equality of opportunity in matters of public employment with no discrimination being done on basis of religion, race, caste, sex, place of birth.
India’s GDP to grow at 7.2% in 2018-19 :
- Central Statistics Office (CSO) stated that the Indian economy is expected to grow at 7.2 per cent in 2018-19, a tad higher from 6.7 per cent in the previous fiscal, mainly due to improvement in the performance of agriculture and manufacturing sectors
- The increase is being expected with the improvement in performance of agriculture and manufacturing sectors.
- The Gross Domestic Product (GDP) had expanded by 7.1 percent in 2016-17 and 8.2 percent in 2015-16.
Andhra’s Polavaram irrigation project creates Guinness world records :
- The Polavaram irrigation project in Andhra Pradesh created two Guinness world records for ‘pouring the highest amount of concrete’ and ‘largest continuous concrete pour in 24 hours’.
- The Polavaram irrigation project is located in West Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh.The project has entered the Guinness World Records for pouring 32,100 cubic meters of concrete non-stop in 24 hours.
BANKING & ECONOMY
Nepal’s central bank asked RBI to declare new Indian currency notes legal in a written plea :
- The Nepal Rastra Bank (NRB), Nepal’s central monetary authority, wrote to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to legalize Indian currency notes of denominations higher than Rs 100 in Nepal.
- The Indian bank bills Rs 200, Rs 500 and Rs 2,000 which are greater than the said amount has been asked to be made legal tender in Nepal, under the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA).
Currency: Nepalese rupee
GST panel headed by Dy. CM of Bihar approved Kerala levying 1% calamity cess for 2 yrs:
- The Group of States’ Finance Ministers (GoFM) led by Deputy Chief Minister of Bihar, Sushil Kumar Modi approved levy of 1%‘calamity cess’ by Kerala for a period of two years to fund rehabilitation work in the state of Kerala.
- It will recommend the same to the GST council meeting which will be held in January 10, 2019.
- It also suggested the GST council to allow additional borrowing over the permitted limit by states hit by natural calamity.
RBI expected to pay government up to Rs 40,000 crore interim dividend :
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is likely to transfer an interim dividend of up to Rs 30,000 crore to Rs 40,000 crore ($4.32 billion-$5.8 billion) to the government by March.
- The funds are crucial to meet the fiscal deficit target of 3.3 percent of the GDP for the financial year ending in March, as the government’s revenue shortfall may be as high as Rs 1 lakh crore.
AWARDS & HONOURS
M Venkaiah Naidu conferred textiles awards in New Delhi :
- The Vice President of India, Shri M Venkaiah Naidu conferred awards 17 persons for their outstanding contribution in different fields of textiles sector during the day long ‘National Conclave on Accomplishments and Way Forward for Textiles Sector’ in New Delhi.
- During the ceremony Vice President, Shri Naidu was presented commemorative stamps on GI registered handicrafts.
Bimal Roy Memorial and Film Society to honour Farooq Sheikh, Asha Parekh :
- The Bimal Roy Memorial and Film Society announced that it would honour veteran actors Asha Parekh and Farooque Shaikhat in the event commemorating 52nd death anniversary of the renowned filmmaker.
- Other awards will also be presented to directors Ananth Mahadevan and Amit Rai along with their actors Paresh Rawal and Jackie Shroff for their contribution.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
Harivansh Narayan Singh launched the book ‘A Crusade Against Corruption’ in New Delhi:
- Vice-Chairman of Rajya Sabha, Harivansh Narayan Singh launched Manohar Manoj`s book ‘A Crusade Against Corruption’ at the Press Club of India in New Delhi.
- Manoj after massive research and deep observations stated that the book written over a period of 15 years is claimed as the ‘Encyclopaedic snapshot on Corruption in India’.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Malaysia’s King Muhammad V Becomes first Monarch To Resign Before Completing Tenure:
- Malaysia’s King Muhammad V abdicated after two years on the throne, the first time a monarch has stepped down before completing their five-year tenure.
- A week ago, the king, 49, had resumed duties after spending two months on medical leave.
Capital: Kuala Lumpur
Currency: Malaysian ringgit.
Kumar Rajesh Chandra appointed SSB DG :
- Kumar Rajesh Chandra, an IPS officer of the 1985 batch was appointed as the Director General of the (DG) Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).
- Chandra will succeed S.S. Deswal.He has been appointed as SSB DG up to December 31, 2021, i.e., the date of his superannuation
Alok Verma Reinstated As CBI Chief By Supreme Court :
- The Supreme Court reinstated Alok Verma as the CBI director three months after the government stripped him of his powers.
- Alok Verma and his deputy Rakesh Asthana were both sent on leave in October amid a bitter feud between the CBI’s top two.
Jim Yong Kim steps down as President of World Bank:
- World Bank President, Jim Yong Kim has made the surprise announcement that he is stepping down after six years in the post.His resignation will take effect from 1 February.
- Mr Kim, 59, was not due to leave until 2022, after he was re-elected for a second five-year term in 2017.Kristalina Georgieva, the World Bank’s chief executive officer, will assume the role of interim president.
Jasprit Bumrah finishes 2018 as the highest wicket-taker across all formats:
- 25 years old Indian fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah finishes 2018 as the highest international wicket-taker of 2018 with 78 wickets after taking 9 wickets in the 3rd Test Match against Australia held in Melbourne Cricket Ground, Australia.
- South African fast bowler Kagiso Rabada ranked 2nd in the list of Highest International wicket taker of 2018 with 77 wickets.
Nishikori & Pliskova win Brisbane International titles :
- The Brisbane International 2019 was played on outdoor hard courts in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
- It was the eleventh edition of the tournament and took place as part of the Australian Open Series in preparation for the first Grand Slam of the year.
- Kei Nishikori won his first ATP title since Memphis in 2016 with a dominating final set to beat Daniil Medvedev 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 in the Brisbane International final.
- Pliskova improved her record in Brisbane to 13-2 and joined Victoria Azarenka (2009, 2016) and Serena Williams (2013-14) as the third woman to win the tournament twice.