Daily Current Affairs: January 9 & 10, 2022
Daily Current Affairs (January 9 & 10, 2022) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
NRI Day or Pravasi Bharatiya Divas – 9 January
- NRI Day (Non-Resident Indian Day) or Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is observed on 9 January every year to strengthen the engagement of the overseas Indian community with the Government of India and reconnect them with their Indian roots.
- The first Pravasi Bharatiya Divas was observed on 9 January 2003.
World Hindi Day – 10 January
- World Hindi Day is observed on 10 January every year to honour Hindi language and to make Hindi a part of public opinion.
- The first World Hindi Day Conference was organised on 10 January 1975 in Nagpur, Maharashtra.
- This day is observed in India from 2003.
- In 2006, the Union Ministry of External Affairs began the tradition of celebrating World Hindi Day in other countries with the goal of promoting Hindi as a global language.
Union Government organises the first-ever Startup India Innovation Week from 10–16 January 2022
- The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) organised the first-ever Startup India Innovation Week from 10–16 January 2022to commemorate the 75th year of India’s independence ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav. This week is designed to showcase the spread and depth of entrepreneurship across India.
- This week-long event was launched by the Union Minister of Commerce and Industry.
Rajnath Singh inaugurates India’s first multi-dimensional adventure sports expedition in France
- Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh flagged off India’s first multi-dimensional adventure sports expedition conducted by the National Institute of Mountaineering and Allied Sports (NIMAS) in France.
- The expedition team carried out over 250 kilometres of winter trekking in the Alps Mountain Ranges, which included Tour De Mont Blanc trek covering the French, Swiss and Italian Alps.
- This multi-dimensional expedition culminated with 12 deep scuba dives in the Mediterranean Sea.
- This expedition was organised as a part of ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’.
Kochi becomes India’s first city with a ‘water metro’ project
- Kochi has become India’s first city to have a water metro project operated by Kochi Metro Rail Limited.
- This project envisions the creation of an integrated water transportation system with the development of 15 identified routes connecting 10 islands, along a 76-kilometer network of routes, with a fleet of 78 fast, electrically propelled hybrid ferries serving 38 jetties.
- The aim of this project was to improve ridership by introducing contemporary, energy-efficient, environmentally friendly and safe boats with low wake and draught characteristics at a high frequency.
- Kochi Metro Rail Limited plans to operate 23 boats, each having a capacity to carry 100 passengers on 15 routes. The headways would vary between 10 to 20 minutes across various routes at peak hours.
Reliance Industries is set to acquire a 73.37 per cent stake in Mandarin Oriental Hotel in New York
- Reliance Industrial Investments and Holdings Limited (RIL) will acquire a 37 per cent stake held indirectly by Cayman Island-based Columbus Centre Corporation in Mandarin Oriental Hotel, New York, for an equity consideration of $98.15 million (₹735 crores).
- In April 2021, RIL acquired Stoke Park Ltd, a luxury hotel, spa and country club in the United Kingdom for $79 million.
Former RBI Governor Urjit Patel was appointed as the Vice-President of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank
- Former Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Urjit Patel was appointed as a Vice-President of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
- He Succeeded J. Pandian.
- He is currently serving as the Chairperson of the National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- He took over as the 24th Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), succeeding Raghuram Rajan on 5 September 2016 and was with RBI till December 2018.
Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
- Headquarters: Beijing, China
- MD & CEO: Jin Liqun
- Establishment: 2016
Cyprus Foreign Minister Nikos Christodoulides announces his resignation
- Cyprus Foreign Minister Nikos Christodoulides had tendered his resignation over the 2023 elections.
- He was appointed as the Foreign Minister of Cyprus in March 2018.
- Capital: Nicosia
- Currency: Euro
- President: Nicos Anastasiades
CSB Bank MD & CEO C. V. Rajendran announces his early retirement
- The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (MD &CEO) of CSB Bank V. Rajendran has announced an early retirement from his post due to health concerns.
- He has been the MD & CEO of CSB Bank since 9 December 2016 and the current term is up to 8 December 2022, but he will continue to lead the bank only till 31 March 2022.
Awards and Recognitions
Golden Globe Awards 2022 were announced by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association
|Best Motion Picture (Drama)||The Power of the Dog|
|Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Drama)||Will Smith for ‘King Richard’|
|Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Drama)||Nicole Kidman for ‘Being the Ricardos’|
|Best Motion Picture (Musical/Comedy)||West Side Story|
|Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Musical/Comedy)||Andrew Garfield for ‘Tick, Tick…Boom!’|
|Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Musical/Comedy)||Rachel Zegler for ‘West Side Story’|
|Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture||Kodi Smit-McPhee for ‘The Power of the Dog’|
|Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture||Ariana DeBose for ‘West Side Story’|
|Best Director (Motion Picture)||Jane Campion for ‘The Power of the Dog’|
|Best Screenplay (Motion Picture)||Belfast|
|Best Motion Picture (Foreign Language)||Drive My Car|
|Best Motion Picture (Animated)||Encanto|
|Best Original Score (Motion Picture)||Hans Zimmer for ‘Dune’
|Best Original Song (Motion Picture)||‘No Time to Die’ from ‘No Time to Die’|
|Best Television Series (Drama)||Succession
|Best Actor in a Television Series (Drama)||Jeremy Strong for ‘Succession’|
|Best Actress in a Television Series (Drama)||Michaela Jae Rodriguez for ‘Pose’ (She is the first transgender actress to win a Golden Globe Award)|
|Best Television Series (Musical or Comedy)||Hacks|
|Best Actor in a Television Series (Musical/Comedy)||Jason Sudeikis for ‘Ted Lasso’|
|Best Limited Series, Anthology Series or Motion Picture Made for Television||The Underground Railroad
|Best Actor in a Limited Series, Anthology Series or Motion Picture Made for Television||Michael Keaton for ‘Dopesick’|
|Best Actress in a Limited Series, Anthology Series or Motion Picture Made for Television||Kate Winslet for ‘Mare of Easttown’
|Best Supporting Actor (Television)
|O Yeong-Su for ‘Squid Game’
|Best Supporting Actress (Television)
|Sarah Snook for ‘Succession’|
Uttar Pradesh wins the best state award in the Third National Water Awards 2020 for management of water resources
- Uttar Pradesh was awarded the first prize in the Third National Water Awards 2020 in the best state category, followed by Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu. This award is given to encourage and recognise individuals and organisations doing exemplary work in the field of water resources management. The Indian Government conferred 57 awards to states, organisations and individuals in 11 different categories.
- Balua in Varanasi won the award for the best village panchayat in the north zone.
Agreements and MoUs Signed
Assam Government signs an MoU with the National Dairy Development Board to set up a ₹2000 crore dairy joint venture
- The Assam Government and National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) signed an agreement to create a ₹2000 crore joint venture for holistic development of the dairy sector in Assam with the target of processing ten lakh litres of milk at six new milk processing units over seven years.
- Two cow feed and organic manure manufacturing units will be established as part of this Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), as well as the import of high-yielding cattle breeds and artificial insemination.
Bharath Subramaniyam becomes India’s 73rd Chess Grandmaster
- Fourteen-year-old Bharath Subramaniyam became India’s 73rd Chess Grandmaster after completing his third and final GrandMaster norm at Vergani Cup Open in Italy.
- He achieved his first Grandmaster norm after securing the 11th place at the Aeroflot Open in Moscow in February 2020.
- He had become an International Master at the age of 11 years and 8 months in 2019.
- Mitrabha Guha had become India’s 72nd Grandmaster and Sankalp Gupta became the 71st Grandmaster of India.
Sri Lanka’s Danushka Gunathilaka announces retirement from Test cricket
- Sri Lankan batsman Danushka Gunathilaka announced his retirement from Test cricket.
- He played his last Test game in 2018, with his eight Test cricket appearances bringing him 299 runs.
Veteran Kannada writer and activist Chandrashekar Patil passed away
- Veteran Kannada writer, activist and public intellectual Prof. Chandrashekhar Patil passed away at the age of 82.
- He was popularly known as He was also a well-known poet, playwright and was considered as one of the foremost voices of the ‘Bandaya’ movement.
- He was the editor of the influential literary journal ‘Sankramana’.
- He became chairman of the Kannada Development Authority and president of Kannada Sahitya Parishat. He was the president of the 83rd Kannada Sahitya Sammelan held at Mysuru in 2017.
Daily CA- 9&10 January One Liners
|NRI Day or Pravasi Bharatiya Divas – 9 January|
|World Hindi Day – 10 January|
|Union Government organises the first-ever Startup India Innovation Week from 10–16 January 2022|
|Rajnath Singh inaugurates India’s first multi-dimensional adventure sports expedition in France|
|Kochi becomes India’s first city with a ‘water metro’ project|
|Reliance Industries is set to acquire a 73.37 per cent stake in Mandarin Oriental Hotel in New York|
|Former RBI Governor Urjit Patel was appointed as the Vice-President of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank|
|Cyprus Foreign Minister Nikos Christodoulides announces his resignation|
|CSB Bank MD & CEO C. V. Rajendran announces his early retirement|
|Golden Globe Awards 2022 were announced by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association|
|Uttar Pradesh wins the best state award in the Third National Water Awards 2020 for management of water resources|
|Assam Government signs an MoU with the National Dairy Development Board to set up a ₹2000 crore dairy joint venture|
|Bharath Subramaniyam becomes India’s 73rd Chess Grandmaster|
|Sri Lanka’s Danushka Gunathilaka announces retirement from Test cricket|
|Veteran Kannada writer and activist Chandrashekar Patil passed away|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of January 9 & 10, 2022, now from the link given below.