DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Jul 24, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Jul 24 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
National Broadcasting Day 2020 – July 23:
- National Broadcasting Day is observed on 23rd July all over India. On this day in 1927, the first-ever radio broadcast in the country went on the air from the Bombay Station under the Indian Broadcasting Company. The first radio broadcast was made on July 23, 1927, from Bombay Station.
National Thermal Engineer Day- July 24:
- National Thermal Engineer Day is celebrated on July 24 to appreciate the contribution of thermal engineers in everyday life. Electronics thermal management is key for its longevity and reliable operations. It was founded by Advanced Thermal Solutions, Inc(ATS) in July 2014 to acknowledge the innovation and dedication of thermal engineers.
India to have 60% electricity generation from renewables by 2030:
- India would touch a renewable power generation capacity of 510 GW by 2030, including 450 GW from variable renewables like wind and solar and 60 GW from hydropower. With this, the country will have around 60% of its electricity generation capacity from renewable energy sources—according to power minister K. Singh.
India holds first-ever Ind-SAT exam under ‘Study in India’ programme:
- Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) conducted the first-ever Indian Scholastic Assessment (Ind-SAT) Test 2020 under its ‘Study in India’ It was conducted in proctored Internet mode by National Testing Agency & designed to gauge the scholastic capability of students applying to study in India.
Union Minister Jitendra Singh Launches Restructured Prime Minister’s Awards For Excellence In Public Administration 2020 Scheme and Web Portal:
- Union Minister Jitendra Singh launched the restructured Prime Minister’s Awards for Excellence in Public Administration 2020 scheme and web portal, in which for the very first time the ‘Good Performance for Ganga Rejuvenation Award’ has been instituted. This is an exemplary recognition for the initiatives being taken up under the Namami Gange Mission.
Nicaragua becomes 87th country to sign International Solar Alliance Framework Agreement:
- Nicaragua has become the most recent country to join the International Solar Alliance (ISA) Framework Agreement, an initiative led by India to promote sustainable energy.
- The agreement on behalf of the Central American country Nicaragua was signed by the Permanent Representative to the United Nations Jaime Hermida Castillo at the Permanent Mission of India to the United Nations in New York on 22, July 2020.
International Solar Alliance(ISA):
- Director General: Upendra Tripathy
- Headquarters: Gurugram, Haryana
Republic of Nicaragua:
- President: Daniel Ortega
- Capital: Managua
- Currency: Nicaraguan Cordoba Oro
Banking and Economy:
India’s GDP to shrink 6% in FY21: DBS report:
- Citing the yet to be stabilised infection curve & Covid-19 caseload in economically key states Singapore brokerage DBS forecast deeper distress for India which will lead to a 6% growth contraction in FY21. Earlier it predicted 8% for the current fiscal.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
CCI approves acquisition of Krishnapatnam Port Co by Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone:
- Fair trade regulator CCI said it has given its nod to acquisition of Krishnapatnam Port Company Ltd by Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Ltd.
- The proposed transaction involves acquisition of equity shareholding along with management control of 100 per cent of the total issued and outstanding preference share capital of Krishnapatnam Port Company, a combination notice filed with the regulator noted.
Alankit Ltd. ties up with UTI for digital PAN Card Services:
- E-governance service provider Alankit Ltd. has tied up with state-owned UTI Infrastructure Technology and Services Ltd. to provide PAN card services to the citizens digitally across India at all its facilitation centers.
- UTI Infrastructure Technology is a SEBI registered Permanent Category-1 Registrar to an Issue and Share Transfer Agent.
NSDC and Airtel Payments Bank join hands to skill rural youth for financial services sector jobs:
- Airtel Payments Bank and the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) announced a partnership to skill the youth in rural India and enable them to find employment opportunities in the financial services sector.
- The partnership will leverage NSDC’s experience, training infrastructure and wide network with Airtel Payment Bank’s industry insights, to design and conduct targeted skill development programmes for rural youth.
Airtel Payment Bank:
- Headquarters location: New Delhi
- CEO: Anubrata Biswas
- Founded: January 2017
National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC):
- CEO: Manish Kumar
- Headquarters location: New Delhi
Riva Ganguly Das appointed as Secretary in Ministry of External Affairs:
- Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of Riva Ganguly Das (IFS) as Secretary (East) in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
- She has been appointed to the post upon the superannuation of Vijay Thakur Singh (IFS) on September 30. Das is an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer of 1986 batch. Currently, she is serving as High Commissioner to Bangladesh.
Alok Misra named as new CEO & Director of Microfinance Institutions Network(MFIN):
- Alok Misra named as its new chief Executive Officer & Director of Microfinance Institutions Network. Misra’s tenure begins from August 1st, 2020. CEO Harsh Shrivastava complete his 2 year tenure and handled his office to Alok Misra.
- The appointment will be effective from 1st August, 2020. Dr Misra takes over from the present CEO, Harsh Shrivastava.
Mukesh Ambani becomes fifth-richest in the world as net worth swells past $75 billion: Forbes Real-Time Billionaires List:
- India’s richest man Mukesh Ambani is climbing up the global rich list very fast, and is now the Fifth-Richest in the world, climbing two ranks from barely a couple of weeks ago.
- Ambani has seen his net worth swell to $75.1 billion from 9 billion on July 12, when he had become the world’s seventh richest and surpassed Warren Buffet, according to the Forbes Real-Time Billionaires List.
Books and Authors:
A book titled “The Pandemic Century”, by British Medical Historian Mark Honigsbaum:
- “The Pandemic Century, A History of Global Contagion from the Spanish Flu to Covid-19”, by the british medical historian Mark Honigsbaum covers 10 outbreaks in the past 100 years, dating from the Spanish Flu (1918) to the present day Coronavirus (2019). The book is published by Penguin Publishers.
Noted Urdu Journalist Satirist Nusrat Zaheer passed away:
- Veteran Urdu journalist and satirist Nusrat Zaheer passed away. He spent most of his life in active literary journalism and had his own unique identity in the Urdu world. Nusrat Zaheer is well-known for his interesting stories and meaningful satires.
ISL Becomes First League From South Asia to be Inducted in World Leagues Forum:
- Indian Super League (ISL) was inducted into the World Leagues Forum (WLF) becoming the first league from South Asia and seventh in Asia to join the association of professional football leagues which includes the likes of the Premier League, La Liga and Bundesliga amongst others.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.