DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Jun 18, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Jun 18 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Picnic Day- June 18:
- International Picnic Day observed on 18th of June encourages people to go outdoors and enjoy a hearty meal in nature, with other people’s company. The true origin of Picnic day can be traced back to the end of the French Revolution and the Victorian Era.
Autistic Pride Day- June 18:
- Autistic Pride Day was observed on June 18th on every year. It is to raise awareness amongst those who are not on the autistic spectrum disorder so they do not see autistic people as requiring treatment, but as unique individuals.
Sports Ministry to establish Khelo India Centres of Excellence:
- Minister of Sports Kiren Rijiju has now decided to set up Khelo India State Centres of Excellence (KISCE) under Khelo India. First phase of the scheme will see eight state-owned facilities being upgraded.
- The eight have been selected on the basis of facilities available in priority sports, infrastructure and past champions.
Delhi to get world’s biggest Covid-19 facility, the size of 22 football fields:
- Delhi is all set to get the world’s largest Coronavirus care facility to help in the treatment of Covid-19 disease patients. Government will convert the Radha Soami Spiritua Centre into a COVID-19 care holding more than 200 halls with 10,000 beds.
- Chief Minister: Arvind Kejriwal
- Governor: Anil Baijal
Uttar Pradesh becomes top state in country to provide employment to workers under MGNREGA:
- Uttar Pradesh has become the top state in the country to provide employment to the workers under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGA).
- Uttar Pradesh provided employment to more than 57 lakh workers under MGNREGA.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
India Elected for 8th Term as Non-Permanent UNSC Member:
- India formally elected as Non-Permanent Member of the powerful UN Security Council for a two-year term after winning 184 votes in the 193-member General Assembly. Along with India, Ireland, Mexico, and Norway also won the UN Security Council elections.
AIIB approves USD 750 million loan to India for Covid-19 response:
- Beijing-based Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has approved a USD 750 million (around Rs 5,714 crore) loan to India to help the government strengthen its battle against the adverse impact of Covid-19 on poor and vulnerable households.
Banking and Economy:
SEBI panel suggests measures to strengthen enforcement, recovery mechanism:
- SEBI panel suggested measures to strengthen markets watchdog’s enforcement mechanism and improve the system of recovery of siphoned off money.
- The committee headed by former Supreme Court Judge Anil Dave has proposed method of quantification of profit made by the defaulter and loss caused to investors.
Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI):
- Headquarter: Mumbai, Maharshtra
- Chairman: Ajay Tyagi.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
Infosys joins Amazon and Global Optimism backed Climate Pledge to become net-zero carbon:
- Infosys partnered with Amazon and Global Optimism and signed the Climate Pledge to become Net-Zero Carbon and will power its operations fully with renewable energy well ahead of 2040, in an effort to protect the planet.
- The Climate Pledge calls on signatories to be net-zero carbon across their businesses by 2040 – a decade ahead of the Paris Accord’s Goal of 2050.
Bharti Airtel acquires strategic stake in edtech startup Lattu Media:
- Bharti Airtel has acquired a 10% stake in Edtech startup Lattu Media Pvt Ltd (Lattu Kids) as part of the Airtel Startup Accelerator Program. Mumbai-based Lattu Kids specializes in digital learning tools for children.
Maruti Suzuki partners with Karur Vysya Bank for flexible financing schemes:
- Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) has partnered with Karur Vysya Bank to offer simpler and flexible financing schemes for new customers. Karur Vysya Bank offers customers in-principle loan sanction in 15 minutes.
Karur Vysya Bank:
- Headquarters: Karur, Tamil Nadu.
- CEO: R. Seshadri
Science and Technology:
Indian Railways installs first ‘Automated Ticket Checking & Managing Access’ machine under NFR scheme:
- Indian Railway’s Central Railway zone has first time installed a newly innovated Automated Ticket Checking & Managing Access machine (ATMA) at Nagpur railway station.
- The machine has been introduced at the station under New, Innovative Non-Fare Revenue Ideas Scheme (NINFRIS) policy to prevent Covid19 transmission to generate Non-Fare Revenue for the Central Railway zone.
Students in West Bengal Have Built ‘Ayurvedic Sanitisation Tunnel’ for Their School:
- Students of a private school in East Burdwan district of West Bengal have built an ”Ayurvedic Sanitisation Tunnel” to disinfect people entering the educational institute. Twelve people can be disinfected inside the tunnel at a time.
Germany Launches Coronavirus App as EU Eyes Travel Revival:
- Germany launched an app “Corona-Warn-App” to help break the chain of coronavirus infections, one of several such apps that European governments hope will revive travel and tourism safely.
- President: Frank-Walter Steinmeier
- Chancellor: Angela Merkel
D. K. Jain gets one-year extension as BCCI ethics officer and ombudsman:
- Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has extended the contract of its ombudsman and ethics officer, Justice (retired) K. Jain, by a year. He was the first-ever ombudsman of BCCI appointed by the Supreme Court in February 2019.
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- President Sourav Ganguly
- Secretary- Jay Shah.
Awards and Recognitions:
Two Indian firms ZestMoney and Stellapps in World Economic Forum List Of Tech Pioneers For 2020:
- ZestMoney and Stellapp are the two Indian startups figure in a new list of Tech Pioneers released by the World Economic Forum (WEF) which described these 100 entities as future headline-makers addressing global issues with cutting-edge technology.
World Economic Forum (WEF):
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
- Founder & Executive Chairman: Kalus Schwab
- President: Borge Brende.
Former India football captain IM Vijayan recommended for Padma Shri by AIFF:
- All India Football Federation (AIFF) has recommended legendary former skipper Inivalappil Mani Vijayan for Padma Shri, the country’s fourth highest civilian award.
- The 51-year-old former India striker, who scored 40 goals in 79 matches for India since making his debut in early 90s, was bestowed the Arjuna award in 2003.
- He was also awarded the Indian ‘Player of the Year’ in 1993, 1997 and 1999. After retiring from football, Vijayan started his acting career; recently he did a Tamil movie named Bigil.
All India Football Federation (AIFF):
- President: Praful Patel
- Founded: 23 June 1937
- Headquarters: Dwarka, Delhi
Books and Authors:
Nobel winner Kazuo Ishiguro’s new novel ‘Klara and the Sun’ out in March 2021:
- Nobel Prize-winning author Kazuo Ishiguro will come out with his new novel “Klara and the Sun”. It will be published by Faber & Faber in the United Kingdom, Alfred A. Knopf in the United States and Knopf in Canada on March 2, 2021.
1971 war hero and Maha Vir Chakra awardee Lt Gen Raj Mohan Vohra passed away at 88 due to COVID-19:
- Lieutenant General (retd) Raj Mohan Vohra who was a 1971 war hero and a Maha Vir Chakra awardee, has died due to COVID-19. He was born in 1932 in Shimla.
Former Goa minister Achyut Usgaonkar dies at 92:
- Former Goa Minister and Daman & Diu Cabinet Minister Achyut Kashinath Sinai Usgaonkar, passed away at 92 in the Goa Medical College and Hospital (located near Panaji) due to age-related ailments.
Former Kerala volleyball captain Danikutty David passes away:
- Former Kerala volleyball captain Danikutty David passed away at the age of 60. Danikutty represented Kerala in 11 National Championships between 1981-1993. The Kerala team captained by him bagged the bronze medal in the National Championships in 1985-86.
Tamil Nadu CM’s private secretary Damodharan passes away due to Covid-19:
- A Senior official B J Damodharan passed away due to Covid-19. Damodharan was working as Private Secretary in CM Palaniswamy’s office.
Fourth edition of Asian Youth Para Games to be held in Bahrain in December 2021:
- Asian Paralympics Committee (APC) announced that Bahrain will host the fourth edition of the Asian Youth Para Games from December 1 to 10 next year.
- An estimated 800 athletes under 20 years of age are expected to compete in nine sports including athletics, badminton, powerlifting, swimming and table tennis.
Asian Paralympics Committee (APC):
- Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates(UAE)
- President: Majid Rashed.
Bayern Munich clinched their eighth straight Bundesliga title:
- Bayern Munich secured its eighth successive German Bundesliga title with two games to spare after beating Werder Bremen 1-0 with a goal from Robert Lewandowski.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.