DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Jun 5, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Jun 5 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Environment Day- June 5:
- World Environment Day is celebrated on 5 June every year, and is the United Nations’ principal vehicle for encouraging awareness and action for the protection of our environment.
- The Theme of World Environment 2020 is “celebrating biodiversity” — a concern that is both urgent and existential.
Centre launches TULIP portal to provide benefit to all stakeholders:
- Human Resources Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank & Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri launched a joint initiative, TULIP– ‘The Urban Learning Internship Programme’ aimed at providing internships to engineering students in the country.
- It has been conceived under Budget’s theme ‘Aspirational India’.
Chhattisgarh government launches ‘Spandan Campaign’ to check suicide and fratricide:
- Chhattisgarh Police have launched a special campaign titled “Spandan” to check mental stress and depression among their personnel by conducting interactive programmes and arranging counseling sessions, music and yoga therapies.
- The motive of the campaign is preventing the force from depression and stress pushing them to take extreme steps.
- Capital: Raipur
- Chief Minister: Bhupesh Baghel
- Governor: AnusuiyaUikey
Nitin Gadkari announces development of new Greenfield expressway to Amritsar:
- Centre announced the development of a new Greenfield connectivity to Amritsar City from Nakodar via Sultanpur Lodhi, Goindwal Sahib, Khadoor Sahib as part of Delhi-Amritsar
- Minister for Road Transport & Highways and MSMEs Nitin Gadkari stated, the road from Amritsar to Gurdaspur will also be fully developed and made completely signal free.
- Chief Minister:Captain Amarinder Singh
- Governor: V P Singh Badnore
Andhra Pradesh govt gives Rs 10,000 each to 2.62 lakh auto, cab drivers in state:
- Andhra Pradesh government disbursed four months in advance an annual financial assistance of Rs 10,000 to each of the 62 lakh beneficiaries under a state welfare scheme.
- Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy announced the transfer of a total amount of Rs 262.49 crores to 2,62,493 beneficiaries under the YSR Vahana Mitra scheme during a digital conference with district collectors and beneficiaries.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam.
- National Park: Sri Venkateswara National Park ,Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park.
Prime Minister Addresses the virtual Global Vaccine Summit 2020:
- India pledged $15 million to Gavi, the international vaccine alliance, with Prime Minister Narendra Modi making the announcement during the virtual Global Vaccine Summit hosted by UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
- More than 50 countries are including business leaders, UN agencies, civil society, ministers and Heads of State and participated in the summit.
PM Modi’s first-ever virtual bilateral summit with Australian PM Scott Morrison:
- Prime Minister Modi and his Australian counterpart PM Scott Morrison are taking part in the first-ever virtual bilateral summit. The event signifies “The strengthening of ties with Australia and its upward trajectory”.
- Through this summit, India and Australia raised their relationship to a “Comprehensive Strategic Partnership” (CSP) and concluded nine pacts including Mutual Logistics Support Agreement.
- Capital– Canberra
- Currency– Australian dollar
- Prime Minister– Scott Morrison
Cabinet approves MoU between India and Bhutan on cooperation in the areas of environment:
- Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave its approval for signing the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Royal Government of Bhutan on Cooperation in the areas of the environment.
- This Memorandum of Understanding shall enter into force on the date of signature and shall continue to remain in force for a period of 10 years.
On Menstrual Hygiene Day Former Miss World Manushi Chhillar joins UNICEF’s “Red Dot Challenge”:
- On Menstrual Hygiene Day, 28th May 2020, 23-year-old, former Miss World Manushi Chhillar collaborated in the global initiative of the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), the “Red Dot Challenge” to create awareness and to educate the girls about menstrual hygiene and construction of sanitation facilities and access to hygiene products.
Banking and Economy:
IndusInd Bank starts mobile-based current account opening facility:
- The IndusInd Bank has launched a mobile application based facility where customer can open the current bank account in a paperless manner in just a few hours. Now IndusInd is the first bank in India to introduce this assisted mobile application based facility.
IndusInd Bank Limited:
- Headquarters: Pune, Maharashtra
- MD & CEO: Sumant Kathpalia
- Tagline: “We Make You Feel Richer”.
Mastercard, Axis Bank and Worldline launch Soft POS to addresses the needs of SMEs in COVID-19:
- Mastercard, Axis Bank and Worldline launched Soft POS to become the first financial payments service in India to transform everyday smartphones into merchant Point of Sale terminals.
- The merchant community can start using Soft POS almost instantly as the online registration process with the acquiring bank takes less than 30 minutes.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
Facebook strikes global licensing deal with Indian music label Saregama:
- Facebook has entered into a global deal with Saregama one of India’s oldest and largest music labels, to license its music for video and other social experiences across its eponymous service and Saregama claims to offer songs in over 25 languages.
Facebook to acquire 9.9% stake in Jio Platforms via Jaadhu Holdings:
- Facebook will acquire 9 per cent stake in Jio Platforms announced last month via a new entity Jaadhu Holdings LLC, as per regulatory documents.
- In April, Facebook had announced an investment of $ 5.7 billion (Rs 43,574 crore) in Jio Platforms.
GAIL (India) and Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL) sign MoU for development of Trigeneration projects in India:
- GAIL (India) and Energy Efficiency Services Ltd have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in New Delhi for cooperation in development of Trigeneration projects in India.
- 50:50 joint venture between GAIL & EESL will be incorporated for undertaking Trigeneration projects.
CCI approves proposed merger between Peugeot S.A and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V:
- Competition Commission of India approves merger between Peugeot SA (PSA) and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA). PSA is a publicly listed limited liability company incorporated in France.
- FCA is a public company with limited liability headquartered in London.
Science and Technology:
Tata AIG launches usage-based car insurance policy to help owners save premiums:
- Tata AIG General Insurance launched Usage-Based Insurance (UBI) private car policy for car owners under the IRDAI’s Regulatory Sandbox.
- It will be available on all policies offering personal accidental cover to the tune of Rs 15 lakhs for owner and driver. The company also bought ‘Auto-Safe’, a GPS enabled device.
DRDO develops device to keep PPE wearers comfortable:
- Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed a device SUMERU-PACS that helps wearers of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) comfortable without sweating.
- The DRDO officials found out, on the basis of the feedback received from doctors and medical staff, that the PPE wearers feel uncomfortable after wearing PPE for more than 30 to 45 minutes and start sweating which makes the situation worse.
Prime Minister’s private secretary Rajeev Topno moves to World Bank, Brajendra Navnit to WTO:
- Senior bureaucrat Rajeev Topno, private secretary to the prime minister, has been appointed as senior advisor to the Executive Director (ED), World Bank, a personnel ministry.
- Brajendra Navnit who served in the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) has been appointed as Ambassador and Permanent Representative of India to the World Trade Organization (WTO), Geneva, Switzerland.
Former Miss World Manushi Chhillar joins Rohit, Hima as Adidas brand ambassador:
- Former Miss World Manushi Chhillar joined the likes of star batsman Rohit Sharma, sprint sensation Hima Das and Bollywood actor Ranveer Singh as brand ambassador of footwear giant Adidas in its campaign to inspire more women to embrace fitness.
- Chhillar will support #HOMETEAMHERO Challenge inspiring more people every single day to stay physically and mentally fit.
Awards and Recognitions:
UST Global Recognized as “IT Service Provider of the Year 2020” by Everest Group:
- UST Global, a leading digital transformation solutions company, announced that it has been named to the list of the Everest Group’s PEAK Matrix Top 20 IT Service Providers of the Year 2020.
- The awards, now in their fifth year, recognize IT service providers who have demonstrated consistent leadership in the peak matrix reports issued by Everest Group, a consulting and research firm focused on strategic IT, business services, and sourcing.
Books and Authors:
Indian Author Luke Coutinho’s New Book To Promote Benefits Of ‘dry Fasting’ Diet:
- Indian author and renowned personal lifestyle coach, Luke Coutinho’s new book, “The Dry Fasting Miracle: From Deprive to Thrive”. Co-authored by Sheikh Abdulaziz Bin Ali Bin Rashed Al Nuami, a member of the Ajman royal family in the UAE, the book will be published under the Ebury Press imprint of Penguin Random House.
Management Guru Pritam Singh dies at 78:
- Management Guru and Padma Shri awardee, Pritam Singh passed away. He has served as an independent director in several private companies. He was also a former director of IIM Lucknow and MDI. He is the author of seven books and over 50 research papers.
Filmmaker Basu Chatterjee passes away at 93:
- Filmmaker-screenwriter Basu Chatterjee, best known for directing films like Choti Si Baat, Rajnigandha, Baaton Baaton Mein, Ek Ruka Hua Faisla and Chameli Ki Shaadi among more, passed away on Thursday in Mumbai, following age-related ailments.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.