Daily Current Affairs: July 23, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (July 23, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
National Broadcasting Day (India) – 23 July
- National Broadcasting Day (India) is observed on 23 July every year to commemorate the first-ever radio broadcast in India that went on air from the Bombay Station under the Indian Broadcasting Company (IBC) in 1927.
Madhya Pradesh CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan launches UNESCO’s ‘Historic Urban Landscape’ project for Gwalior and Orchha
- Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh Shivraj Singh Chouhan virtually launched UNESCO’s ‘Historic Urban Landscape’ project for the cities of Gwalior and Orchha in Madhya Pradesh.
- Gwalior and Orchha cities were selected by UNESCO under the ‘Historic Urban Landscape Project’, which was started in the year 2011, for the inclusive and well-planned development of fast-growing historical cities while preserving their culture and heritage.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chauhan
- Governor: Mangubhai Chhaganbhai Patel
- National Parks: Bandhavgarh National Park, Dinosaur Fossils National Park, Fossil National Park, Pench National Park, Kanha National Park, Kuno National Park, Madhav National Park, Panna National Park, Sanjay National Park, Satpura National Park, Van Vihar National Park
China launches the world’s largest emission trading system
- China has finally launched its long-awaited national Emissions Trading System (ETS), although concerns remain on the overall impact it will initially have on reducing emissions from the world’s largest emitter of greenhouse gases.
- China replaced the European Union as the largest carbon market.
- Capital: Beijing
- President: Xi Jinping
- Currency: Renminbi
India participates in the environment ministers’ meeting at the 16th G20 Summit
- Union Minister of Environment Bhupender Yadav, along with the Union Minister of State for Environment Ashwini Choubey, virtually took part in the two-day meeting at the 16th G20 Summit.
- Italy is the current chair and Mario Draghi is the current Chairman of the G20 Summit.
- The members of the G20 are Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States and the European Union.
Liverpool Maritime Mercantile City was delisted from UNESCO’s World Heritage List
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has decided to delist United Kingdom’s Liverpool City waterfront as a historic heritage site.
- This decision came after the United Nations cultural body UNESCO discussed its concern during the 44th session of the World Heritage Committee held in Fuzhou, China.
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO):
- Headquarters: Paris, France
- Director-General: Audrey Azoulay
- Founded: 16 November 1945
World’s first 3D-printed steel bridge opens to the public in Amsterdam
- World’s first 3D-printed steel bridge was opened to the public in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. This bridge was unveiled by Netherlands Queen Máxima.
- It was developed by MX3D, a Dutch robotics company, in collaboration with a consortium of experts and represents a major milestone for 3D-printing technology.
- Capital: Amsterdam
- Currency: Euro
- Prime Minister: Mark Rutte
Science and Technology
Russia launches Nauka module to the International Space Station
- Russia successfully launched a long-delayed lab Nauka module for the International Space Station that is intended to provide more room for scientific experiments and space for the crew.
- A Proton-M booster rocket carrying the Nauka module lifted off from the Russian space launch facility in Baikonur, Kazakhstan.
- Capital: Moscow
- Currency: Russian Rouble
- President: Vladimir Putin
- Prime Minister: Mikhail Mishustin
Aramane Giridhar gets additional charge as the Chairman of NHAI
- Aramane Giridhar was assigned the additional charge of the post of Chairman of the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI). He replaced Sukhbir Singh Sandhu, who was appointed as the new Chief Secretary of Uttarakhand.
- He will hold the position till any officer is appointed regularly or until further orders. He is presently serving as the Secretary of the Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH).
National Highways Authority of India (NHAI)
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairman: Aramane Giridhar
Union Finance Ministry officer Rasmi R Das was appointed as a member of the UN tax committee
- Rasmi Ranjan Das, a Joint Secretary in the Union Ministry of Finance, was appointed as a member of the UN tax committee for 2021–2025
- He is among 25 tax experts from around the world to be appointed as a member of the UN tax committee.
Awards and Recognitions
Three monuments of Andhra Pradesh were identified as “Adarsh Smarak” for providing additional facilities
- Three monuments of Andhra Pradesh, namely Monuments at Nagarjunakonda of Guntur district, the Budhhist Remains at Salihundam of Srikakulam district and Veerabhadra Temple at Lepakshi in Anantapuram district, have been identified as “Adarsh Smarak” for providing additional facilities like Wi-Fi, cafeteria, interpretation centre, Braille signages, illumination, etc.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: YS Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam
- National Parks: Sri Venkateswara National Park, Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park
Books and Authors
A new book titled “Over It: How to Face Life’s Hurdles with Grit, Hustle, and Grace” authored by Lori Susan Jones
- Three-time Olympian and world champion hurdler Lori Susan Jones (also known as Lolo Jones) authored a new book titled “Over It: How to Face Life’s Hurdles with Grit, Hustle, and Grace”.
- This book was published by Thomas Nelson.
Renowned theatre personality Urmil Kumar Thapliyal passed away at 78
- Renowned theatre personality and litterateur Urmil Kumar Thapliyal passed away at the age of 78. He has donned several roles of playwright, author, poet, performer, satirist and theatre He has contributed immensely to the revival of ‘nautanki’ and popularising theatre.
Veteran Malayalam actor KTS Padannayil passed away at 88
- Veteran Malayalam film actor KTS Padannayil passed away at the age of 88. He started acting in Malayalam movies in 1990. Aniyan Bava Chettan Bava directed by Rajasenan was his debut movie.
Hockey India launches player-oriented web-based platform ‘Heroes Connect’ for hockey players in India
- Hockey India has launched its own player-oriented web-based engagement platform, the ‘Heroes Connect’, in its bid to curate a detailed database of the players who have represented India in both men’s and women’s games.
- The unique responsive platform was designed to encourage former and current Indian hockey players to initiate constructive discussions around the sport.
Daily CA July 23 One-liner:
|1. National Broadcasting Day (India) – 23 July|
|2. Madhya Pradesh CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan launches UNESCO’s ‘Historic Urban Landscape’ project for Gwalior and Orchha|
|3. China launches the world’s largest emission trading system|
|4. India participates in the environment ministers’ meeting at the 16th G20 Summit|
|5. Liverpool Maritime Mercantile City was delisted from UNESCO’s World Heritage List|
|6. World’s first 3D-printed steel bridge opens to the public in Amsterdam|
|7. Russia launches Nauka module to the International Space Station|
|8. Aramane Giridhar gets additional charge as the Chairman of NHAI|
|9. Union Finance Ministry officer Rasmi R Das was appointed as a member of the UN tax committee|
|10. Three monuments of Andhra Pradesh were identified as “Adarsh Smarak” for providing additional facilities|
|11. A new book titled “Over It: How to Face Life’s Hurdles with Grit, Hustle, and Grace” authored by Lori Susan Jones|
|12. Renowned theatre personality Urmil Kumar Thapliyal passed away at 78|
|13. Veteran Malayalam actor KTS Padannayil passed away at 88|
|14. Hockey India launches player-oriented web-based platform ‘Heroes Connect’ for hockey players in India|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of July 24, 2021, now from the link given below.