DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : June 7,8 & 9, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (June 7.8&9, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Check Daily CA from Race Youtube Channel
Bancha, the first solar kitchen only village in India
- Bancha in Betul district is the first village in India to have zero wooden stoves and almost no use for LPG cylinders with all its 75 houses relying on solar-powered stoves to meet their cooking needs.
- The project of installing solar power plates, batteries and stoves in all the 74 houses was started in September 2017 and got completed by December 2018.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief minister: Kamal Nath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
Triple Talaq Bill is to be tabled in the very first session of Parliament in the NDA government
- The second term of Narendra Modi government is likely to place the controversial Triple Talaq Bill in its very first session of Parliament. The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Second Ordinance was promulgated on February 21, 2019.
- An ordinance will lapse after six months of the promulgation. The bill should be passed by both sessions of Parliament within 45 days after the first sitting of Parliament.
The meeting of PM Modi and Imran Khan before SCO summit is not confirmed yet
- The Ministry of External Affairs said that the meeting between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Pakistan counterpart Imran Khan before the summit meeting of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) is not confirmed yet.
- The leaders of the two countries are scheduled to travel to Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic for the SCO summit of 13-14 June 2019.
- The tension that was erupted after the terror attack at Pulwama and the Balakot counter-terror strike and the measures to de-escalate the tension is still on going.
‘Gandhi Cycle Rally for Peace’ organised in Saudi Arabia
- To mark the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, Indian Embassy in Saudi organized ‘Gandhi Cycle Rally for Peace’ in association with the Diplomatic Quarter Authority and Saudi Cycling Federation.
- The rally was flagged off by Dr. Ausaf Sayeed, Ambassador of India to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The Saudi dignitaries, diplomats, members of Indian diaspora and Saudi nationals attended the rally.
BANKING & FINANCE
ICICI Bank launches centre for MSMEs in Bengaluru
- ICICI Bank launched a centre in Bengaluru to provide business solutions exclusively to start-ups and MSME sector. ICICI Bank along with Viral Rupani, Retail Business Head South, ICICI Bank inaugurated the centre.
- The services offered include working capital loans upto ₹20 crore, business loans (based on GST returns) upto ₹1 crore, instant overdraft facility of ₹15 lakh, extensive trade solutions and cash management services, among others.
- The centre has a legal and valuation desk to assist customers in resolving challenges pertaining to collaterals offered for various loans.
RBI scraped NEFT, RTGS transaction charges, banks to pass on benefits
- The RBI removed transaction charges levied by it for Real Time Gross Settlement System (RTGS) and National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT) systems to boost digital transactions.
- The Real Time Gross Settlement System (RTGS) is meant for large-value instantaneous fund transfers while the National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT) System is used for fund transfers up to Rs 2 lakh.
- The State Bank of India (SBI) currently charges between Re 1 and Rs 5 for NEFT transactions and between Rs 5 and Rs 50 for RTGS.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Wipro to acquire US International Techne Group for 312 crore
- IT major Wipro it will acquire US-based International Techne Group Incorporated for $45 million (around ₹312 crore).
- International Techne Group Incorporated (ITI) provides Computer Aided Design and Product Lifecycle Management interoperability software services. Founded in 1983 and headquartered in Ohio, USA, ITI has offices in the UK, Italy, Israel and Germany.
- ITI is privately held and has 130 employees as of March 2019. Its revenue stood at $ 23.2 million in FY’18 (year ending June 30).The acquisition complements Wipro’s core strengths in Industry 4.0 and will allow Wipro to offer end-to-end solutions in Digital Engineering and Manufacturing.
- ITI’s offerings and solutions will be consolidated as a part of Wipro’s industrial and engineering services business and will function as a wholly-owned US subsidiary of the company.
Karnataka government has launched Pink Sarathi vehicles for women’s safety
- Karnataka government has launched ‘Pink Sarathi’ vehicles that are procured by the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC).
- It was launched by Chief Minister H.D. Kumaraswamy. BMTC will use the vehicles to attend to the grievances of women passengers in city buses.
- BMTC had received Rs.56.07 crore from the Centre under the Nirbhaya scheme. It has also taken up various measures for the safety of women passengers, including the launch of Pink Sarathi vehicles.
- The BMTC now has a fleet of 25 Pink Sarathi vehicles fitted with GPS and public announcement systems.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Mrutyunjay Mohapatra is appointed as IMD Chief
- Renowned scientist and cyclone warning specialist Mrutyunjay Mohapatra was appointed as the Chief of India Meteorological Department (IMD). His is popularly known as Cyclone man. He will take charge in the month of August.
- Mohapatra and his team at the Cyclone Warning Division (CWD) of the IMD are noted for their accurate forecasts on cyclones which have enabled the authorities to ensure early evacuation of millions of people eventually saving many lives.
- In the past six years, the CWD has given accurate forecasts on cyclones including when Phailin in 2013), Hudhud cyclone in 2014 and Titli in 2018 that hit the eastern coast.
India Meteorological Department
- Formed on: 1875
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Functions under: Ministry of Earth Sciences
- Minister responsible: Harsh Vardhan
- Director General: K.J. Ramesh
Lt Gen PJS Pannu designated as Deputy Chief of Integrated Defence Staff (operation)
- Lt Gen PJS Pannu take over as the Deputy Chief of Integrated Defence Staff (Operations) from Air Marshal Rajeev Sachdeva on June 1. He is currently posted as Deputy Chief Integrated Defence Staff (Doctrine Organisation and Training).
- The General Officer is an alumnus of Indian Military Academy and was commissioned into 22nd Battalion, The Maratha Light Infantry (MLI) on December 13, 1980, and commanded the battalion from May 1999 to February 2001 in Uri Sector (Jammu and Kashmir) during Operation VIJAY.
- General Officer an instructor in the prestigious Indian Military Academy.
Ajeya Kallam appointed principal advisor to Andhra Chief Minister
- Former Chief Secretary Ajeya Kallam appointed as the principal advisor to Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy. It was issued by Chief Secretary LV Subrahmanyam.
- He will have cabinet rank and leading the secretaries in the Chief Minister’s office. He will be in the position for 3 years, with a monthly salary of Rs 2.5 lakhs.
- He served as director of horticulture, commissioner of agriculture, commissioner of endowments, executive officer of the TTD, and as Visakhapatnam Port Trust chairman.
Wipro Founder Azim Premji to retire as Executive Chairman by end of July
- Azim Premji will retire as executive chairman of Wipro Limited upon the completion of his current term on July 30, 2019 but he would continue to serve on the board as non-executive director and founder chairman.
- His son, Rishad Premji, chief strategy officer and a board member, will take over as the executive chairman following his father’s retirement.
- CEO Abidali Neemuchwala has been appointed as MD.
- Founder: M.H. Hasham Premji
- Founded: 29 December 1945, India
- Owner: Azim Premji
- Headquarters: Bengaluru
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
International Space Station to be open to tourists from next year
- NASA said Friday it will open up the International Space Station for tourism and other business ventures as of next year, as it seeks to financially disengage from the orbiting research lab.
- “NASA is opening the International Space Station to commercial opportunities and marketing these opportunities as we’ve never done before,” NASA chief financial officer Jeff DeWit said in New York.
- There will be up to two short private astronaut missions per year, said Robyn Gatens, deputy director of the ISS.
India beats Ireland 1-0 in the final to claim U21 four-nation title
- Indian junior women’s hockey team won Cantor Fitzgerald U21 International 4-Nations title after beating Ireland 1-0 in the final. India ended the tournament three goals in four games, Mumtaz Khan finished as the highest goal scorer of the tournament.
- The second quarter of the game created a new record over it. Ireland created three PCs over the period of the final quarter was thwarted by a resolute Bichu Devi and the Indian defence to ensure that the team ended up with a clean sheet.
- Gagandeep’s goal major difference between the sides, as India prevailed 1-0 and took the title.
Former CEC Gopalaswami named BCCI’s electoral officer for AGM
- Former Chief Election Commissioner N. Gopalaswami has been appointed as an electoral officer for the BCCI’s Annual General Meeting.
- The Committee of Administrators (CoA) had last month announced that the long-awaited elections of the BCCI will be held on 22nd October.
Ex UEFA chief Johansson passed away at 89 due to a short illness
- Ex-UEFA chief Johansson, also known as the father of Champions League, passed away due to a short illness. He was 89.
- He oversaw the introduction of the Champions League during a 17-year reign as president of European soccer’s governing body. He led UEFA from 1990-2007. He was succeeded by former France great Michel Platini in a presidential election.
- His career as a sports administrator began in the 1960s. He became president of elite Swedish football club AIK, and then head of the Swedish football federation prior to his election as UEFA chief in 1990.
Govt. set up a 10 member Cabinet Committee on Employment and Skill Development
- The government set up a 10-member Cabinet Committee on Employment and Skill Development on 5 June.
- The committee is one of two Cabinet committees that are set up to rise the economic growth and tackle unemployment.
Members of the committee:
The Committee will be chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Gujarat topped the country with annual fish production of 7.8 lakh tonnes
- Gujarat topped the country with annual fish production of 7.8 lakh tonnes, followed by Tamil Nadu (7.02 lakh tonnes) and Kerala (6.43 lakh tonnes) according to the Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI).
- Tamil Nadu:
Kanniyakumari topped in the Tamil Nadu state annual fish production.
- Ramanathapuram has emerged as the second topper in the Tamil Nadu state in annual fish production. It has recorded 1.46 lakh tonnes during 2018.
- Nagapattinam stands third highest fish production district to have recorded 91,186 tonnes. Thoothukudi stands fourth by recording 70,965 tonnes followed by Cuddalore (62,525 tonnes) and Chennai (55,707 tonnes).
Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan reviews status of Nipah Virus disease in New Delhi
- Union Health and Family Welfare Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan reviewed the status of Nipah Virus disease in New Delhi. A total of 316 contacts are being followed up on a daily basis.
- One positive case admitted in Ernakulam is now conscious and having a mild fever and six symptomatic contacts have been admitted in the quarantine facility at the Medical College and all the samples were found to be negative.
- A Sample from one symptomatic contact sent to NIV Lab. Strategic Health Operation Centre (SHOC) at NCDC has been activated and the activities are coordinated.
About Nipah Virus
- It is a genus of RNA viruses belongs to the family Paramyxoviridae and order Mononegavirales containing five established species. Henipaviruses are naturally harbored by pteropid fruit bats and microbats of several species
- Scientific name: Henipavirus
- Rank: Genus
- Higher classification: Paramyxoviridae
Delhi Metro Station becomes India’s first project to receive power from waste-to-energy
- Delhi Metro became the first ever project in the country to receive power generated from a waste-to-energy plant. The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) receiving 2 MW power from a 12 MW capacity waste-to-energy plant set up in Ghazipur.
- It is being utilized at the Vinod Nagar Receiving Substation (RSS) for meeting the operational requirements of Pink Line of Delhi Metro. It will take approximately 17.5 million units per annum from this plant.
- The energy mainly depends upon the actual generation of the plant. It is set up by East Delhi Waste Processing Company Limited (EDWPCL).
- It is based on a Public Private Partnership (PPP) involving the Delhi government and East Delhi Municipal Corporation (EDMC)
Bihar government has announced to waive off 50% of the total taxes levied on e rickshaws
- The Bihar State government has announced to waive off 50% of the total taxes levied on the purchase and running of battery-propelled e-rickshaws. The announcement was made by the deputy chief minister of state Sushil Kumar Modi.
- Capital: Patna
- Governor: Lal Ji Tandon
- Chief Minister: Nitish Kumar
- Deputy Chief Minister: Sushil Kumar Modi
India and France to carry out Garuda, a two week long mega air exercise
- Indian Air Force and French Air Force have planned to carry out Garuda, a two-week-long mega air exercise, beginning on July 1 in France. The aim is to boost the military-to-military ties between the two countries.
- A fleet of Sukhoi 30 fighter jets of the Indian Air Force will engage in dogfights with France’s Rafale multirole aircraft in simulated scenarios as part of the ‘Garuda’ exercise.
- Other assets include mid-air refueller will also be sent to France by the IAF. It will be one of the largest air exercises between the two strategic partners. The exercise will also provide an opportunity to a sizeable number of IAF pilots to have a close look at the Rafale jets being operated by the French Air Force.
- India had signed a government-to-government deal with France in 2016 to buy 36 Rafale fighter jets at a cost of about Rs.58,000-crore. The first Rafale jet is scheduled to be delivered in September.
Report says sharp 10 percent decline in the approval rate of H 1B visa by the US
- US authorities said that there was a sharp 10% decline in the approval of H-1B visas by the U.S. in 2018, which is popular among highly skilled Indian IT professionals.
- The experts attributed to the aggressive policies of the Trump administration to clamp down on the use of the work visa programme.
- What is H-1b Visa?
- The H-1B visa programme is the main vehicle through which US employers can sponsor skilled foreign workers for admission. It is a non-immigrant visa that allows U.S. companies to employ foreign workers in specialty occupations that require theoretical or technical expertise.
Taiwan proposed deal to buy tanks from the US
- Taiwan plans to propose a deal to buy tanks and portable missiles from the U.S. This proposal by Taiwan drew an angry rebuke from China.
- Taiwan’s Defence Ministry requested the US for 108 M1A2 Abrams main battle tanks, more than 1,500 Javelin and TOW anti-tank missiles, and 250 shoulder-fired Stinger anti-aircraft missiles in the proposal formally.
- The U.S. government, on the other hand, has given Congress informal notification of its plan to sell the equipment in a deal worth $2 billion.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI reduces interest rates by 25 basis points to 5.75 percent
- The Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) reduced interest rates by 25 basis points to 5.75% with immediate effect amid slowing economic growth and rising global uncertainty, for the 3rd time in a row.
- RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das announced it in the second bi-monthly monetary policy statement for 2019-20.
Policy rates and Reserve ratios:
- Policy Repo Rate: 5.75%
- Reverse Repo Rate: 5.50%
- Marginal Standing Facility Rate: 6.00%
- Bank Rate: 6.00%
- CRR: 4%
- SLR: 19.00%
Indian microfinance sector is expected to register a more than 30 percent
- The industry body Sa-Dhan reported that the Indian microfinance sector is expected to register a more than 30% year-on-year growth to Rs.90,000 crore in 2018-19. The total gross loan portfolio (GLP) for the sector stood at Rs.68,789 crore in 2017-18.
- The industry body report based on the data collected from 128 microfinance institutions, the GLP had already touched Rs.75,476 crore. However, this would rise to more than Rs.90,000 crore by the time the consolidated industry figures come out.
- The average loan ticket size for the sector at Rs.34,010 against Rs.29,902 in 2018. The average of only NBFC-MFIs in 2019 is Rs.27,661.
- The combined microcredit disbursement of all microfinance companies during the January-March 2019 quarter was Rs.67,581 crore, led by banks with Rs.27,261 crore or 40.34% share, followed by NBFC-MFIs with Rs.25,544 crore, or 37.8% share, small finance banks with Rs.9,761 crore, NBFCs with Rs.4,196 crore and Not for Profit MFIs with about Rs.816 crore.
- The report also stated that the top 7 States in terms of loan portfolio were Karnataka, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Odisha, Tamil Nadu, and Maharashtra.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Ashok Leyland ties up with Suryoday Small Finance Bank for vehicle loans
- Ashok Leyland partnered with Suryoday Small Finance Bank for vehicle loans.The two partners have signed an initial agreement to enter a strategic financing partnership for three years
- Under the agreement, the bank will provide end-to-end financial solutions to Ashok Leyland’s customers for auto loans across India.
- Suryoday Small Finance Bank will benefit its customers with financial products and with a hassle-free experience.
About Suryoday Small Finance Bank
- Chairperson: Dr. Mrs. Sheela Bhide
- Founded: 2008
About Ashok Leyland
- Parent organization: Hinduja Group
- Headquarters: Chennai
- Founder: Raghunandan Saran
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Muhammad Bande has been elected as the next President of the 74th session UN General Assembly
- Nigeria’s Ambassador to the UN Tijjani Muhammad-Bande, elected as the next President of the 74th session UN General Assembly.
- He will succeed Maria Fernanda Espinosa. The next General Assembly session will commence in September 2019.
United Nations General Assembly (UNGA):
- Formed on: 1945
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Members: 193
- President: Tijjani Muhammad-Bande
- India’s Permanent Representative to the UN is Syed Akbaruddin
Rajnath Singh to chair the Committee on Parliamentary Affairs
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh is to chair the Cabinet Committee on Parliamentary Affairs in the second term of the NDA government.
- Decisions on all the parliament matters will be taken by the Cabinet Committee on Parliamentary Affairs. He was made a member of Cabinet Committee on Security and Cabinet Committee on Employment and Skill Development.
- He is also a part of the Cabinet Committee on Political Affairs, the all-important panel on political affairs which is headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. All important political decisions in the ruling dispensation will be taken by the panel.
- Apart from these 4 committees, he is also a member of the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs(CCEA) and the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS).
- In total, he is now a part of six key panels of the government.
In the last government, Rajnath Singh headed the Cabinet Committee on Parliamentary Affairs.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Mumbai ranked first among 403 global cities in Traffic Index 2018 study
- An analysis of traffic congestion done in more 400 cities across six continents has found that commuters in Mumbai spent the most time on the road last year.
- Mumbai ranked first in the study, ‘Traffic Index-2018’, by location technology specialist TomTom, with a congestion level of 65 per cent New Delhi ranked fourth with a congestion of 58 per cent.
- Mumbai held on to the top rank for the second consecutive year, beat Bogota (63 per cent), Lima (58 per cent) and Moscow (56 per cent).
- Overall study covered 403 cities in 56 countries and defined congestion as the extra time added to road travel when traffic doesn’t flow freely.
RANKING & INDEX
India ranks 95 in the Sustainable Development Goals Gender Index
- India ranked 95th out of 129 countries in the Sustainable Development Goals Gender Index. India’s score of 56.2 on a scale of 0–100.
- The index found that no country has fully achieved te gender equality and that the global average score of65.7 out of 100 which falls in the poor category.
- SDG Gender Index a new index that measures global gender equality considering various parameters such as education, literacy, political representation, poverty, health, and equality at the workplace.
- The SDG gender index included 51 indicators across 14 of the 17 official Sustainable Development Goals. The list covered 129 countries across all regions of the world.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
India Test Fires Brahmos Supersonic Cruise Missile From Chandipur in Odisha
- Supersonic cruise missile BrahMos was test fired from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in Odisha. Anti-ship version of the missile launched by complex-3 of the ITR, Defence Research and Development (DRDO) sources.
- World’s fastest supersonic cruise missile with high rate of accuracy
Missile is fired from land, sea and air. The missile with a strike range of around 290 km is a strategic asset for India which act as a deterrence against any possible threats from China and Pakistan.
- BrahMos is a joint venture between the DRDO and the NPOM(a Russian military technology firm) of Russia. BrahMos operationalised in the Indian Army, Indian Navy and Indian Air Force. Senior defence officials and scientists from DRDO and BrahMos witnessed the trial
Indian football team Baichung Bhutia congratulated Chhetri becoming India’s most-capped Player
- Former India skipper Bhaichung Bhutia congratulated Sunil Chhetri and became India’s most capped international player with 108 appearances.
- He overtook his mentor Bhutia’s record of 107 matches and captained India in the King’s Cup opener against Curacao.
- He scored the goal for his side in the 31st minute from a spot kick for his 69th goal. India ranked 101.
- The 82nd ranked Caribbean island nation two players associated with English Premier League and some others in European leagues. They scored three goals in the space of 18 minutes through Roly Bonevacia, Elson Hooi and Leandro Bacuna.
- India will play with the losing team of the match between Thailand and Vietnam in the third-place play-off.
About Bhaichung Bhutia
- Current team: East Bengal F.C. (Forward)
- Awards: Padma Shri, Arjuna Award for Football.
Viswanathan Anand lost to Magnus Carlsen in Armageddon
- Viswanathan Anand defeat against world champion Magnus Carlsen of Norway in the Armageddon game at the Altibox Norway Chess Tournament.
- Finally some finely disguised manoeuvres in the Armageddon game where the Indian played another black. Armageddon rule invented for a super tournament for the first time.
- Carlsen, Aronian, Mamedyarov, Liren and Yangyi have 1.5 points apiece and enjoy a full point lead over the other five contestants.
7 June – World Food Safety Day
- World Food Safety Day is celebrated on 7 June to draw global attention to the consequences of contaminated food and water to the health.
- Also, this day focuses on the way to reduce the risk of food poisoning. Safety of food is a key to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
Arunachal Pradesh: New species of dung beetle found in Tawang
- A new species of dung beetle discovered in Arunachal Pradesh’s Tawang district. The new discovery named ‘Enoplotrupes tawangensis’ is a 27-mm-long insect, relatively bigger than most dung beetles.
- The shining dark blue insect was first examined by two scientists from the Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) — Kailash Chandra and Devanshu Gupta.
Czech scientist David Král confirmed that he found a similar specimen from Bhutan which borders the frontier state.
- Dung beetles feed exclusively or partially on feces.They belong to the super family called ‘Scarabaeoidea’ and have clubbed antennae and pro-tibiae (pro-legs) modified for burrowing dung inside the soil.
- The species plays an important in agriculture and tropical forests.
- They bury and consume dung and in turn improves nutrient recycling and soil structure. Further, they also help in seed dispersal and protect livestock from pests by removing dung from nearby.
About Arunachal Pradesh
- Capital: Itanagar
- Chief Minister: Pema Khandu, Governor: B. D. Mishra.
India to enhance its commitment to Sri Lanka
- India’s foreign secretary Vijay Gokhale said that India will enhance its commitment to Sri Lanka in the wake of the recent bomb attacks on churches and hotels that killed more than 250.
- The announcement is made ahead of the visit of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Sri Lanka on June 8. The PM will be visiting the Maldives also. This will be his first foreign trip since winning a second term in power.
- President: Maithripala Sirisena
- Prime Minister: Ranil Wickremesinghe
- Capital: Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
- Currency: Sri Lankan rupee (LKR)
BSF officer appointed as head of its Tekanpur-based academy
- Border Security Force (BSF) appointed as the head of its Tekanpur-based academy, the alma mater of the officers of the country’s largest frontier-guarding force.
- S S Chahar took over the charge of the academy’s director — an Additional Director General (ADG) rank — a senior official said. He is the 13th officer of the cadre to have been elevated to the second top post in the organisation in the history of over 50 years.
- He served on both the western and eastern frontiers of the country. BSF guards the important Indian borders with Pakistan and Bangladesh respectively.
CM Yogi Adityanath unveiled a 7 foot tall statue of Lord Rama at the Shodh Sansthan museum
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath unveiled a 7-foot tall statue of Lord Rama at the Shodh Sansthan museum in Ayodhya on 7 June.
- Adityanath will also inaugurate the event to celebrate Mahant Nritya Gopal Das.
- The statue is made out of a single rosewood block statue which was from Karnataka for Rs.35 lakh from Karnataka. The statue will depict Kodamb Ram, one of the five avatars of Lord Ram.
- Kodamb Ram is worshipped in the south. The statue depicts the stage of Ram’s life when Sita was kidnapped by Ravan, the demon king. The statue shows Ram alone, without Sita and Laxman.
Trump threatened to increase tariffs on at least another USD 300 billion worth goods
- US President Donald Trump has threatened that the US would hit China with tariffs on at least another $300 billion worth of Chinese goods.
- While Trump on 6 June said that talks with China were ongoing, no face-to-face meetings have been held since May 10.
- On May 10, the US sharply increased tariffs on a $200 billion list of Chinese goods to 25% for which Beijing retaliated.
- Tensions between the two countries have risen sharply since talks aimed at ending a festering trade war broke down in early May.
India-Marshall Islands tax data pact notified
- The union government notified an agreement with the Marshall Islands a country of volcanic islands and coral atolls in the Pacific Ocean, for the exchange of banking and company information for tax purposes.
- It comes under tax evasion and tax avoidance. It is called as tax information exchange agreement (TIEA). They allow mutual cooperation between the two countries by providing an effective framework for exchange of information in tax matters.
- The agreement (India-Marshall Islands TIEA) between the Indian government and the government of the Marshall Islands was signed on March 18, 2016, at Majuro, the Republic of the Marshall Islands.
- The bilateral agreement is based on international standards of tax transparency and exchange of information and enables the sharing of information on request.
FIFA vice president Ahmad Ahmad arrested in France
- Jeune Afrique, the 59-year-old arrested at his hotel in Paris where global chiefs have gathered this week for FIFA’s annual congress and the start of the Women’s World Cup.
- Former sports minister and current senator in Madagascar, Ahmad was elected president of the Confederation of African Football in 2017.
- His time in charge of the Egyptian-based organisation is subject of a FIFA ethics committee investigation.
- He is related to bribery allegations linked to the 2017 switch CAF made from its German kit supplier Puma to French company Tactical Steel.
- President: Gianni Infantino Trending
- Founded at: Paris, France
BANKING & FINANCE
Bank of Baroda declared Dighi Port chairman Vijay Kalantri as ‘wilful defaulter’
- Bank of Baroda (BoB) has declared Dighi Port chairman and managing director Vijay Goverdhandas Kalantri and his son Vishal Kalantri as wilful defaulters for owing close to Rs 3,334 crore to a consortium of 16 banks in the country that include BoB, while Bank of India is the lead lender.
- Vijay Kalantri-owned Balaji Infra has 51.01 percent stake in Dighi Port, while Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services (IL&FS) holds 39.37 percent stake in the company.
- In May 2019, a bankruptcy court approved JNPT’s (Jawaharlal Nehru Port) resolution plan to buy Dighi Port for ₹853 crore.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India to buy 100 more SPICE bombs, signed Rs 300 crore deal with Israel
- The Indian Air Force signed a deal with Israel to buy more than 100 SPICE 2000 bombs, worth around Rs 300 crore.
- SPICE bombs were used by the Indian Air Force (IAF) to attack the madrasa of Jaish-e-Mohammed in Balakot, Pakistan, on February 26, in response to the terrorist attack on a CRPF convoy in Pulwama which resulted in the martyrdom of 40 CRPF personnel.
About SPICE bomb:
- Standoff range: 60 kilometres
- Manufacturer: Israeli defence firm Rafael Advanced Defence Systems
- Capital: Jerusalem Trending
- Currency: Israeli new shekel
- Prime minister: Benjamin Netanyahu
GOI underpaid food subsidy bill by Rs 69,394 crore in Fiscal Year 2019
- The central government underpaid the food subsidy bill to Food Corporation of India (FCI) by Rs 69,394 croreduring the year 2018-19.
- According to the Controller General of Accounts (CGA), central govt. paid only 74% of the total major subsidies during 2018-19 in comparison to the 83 percent payment made in 2017-18.
- As a percentage of the budget estimate, govt. paid only 59% of food subsidies in FY19.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Justice Dhirubhai Naranbhai Patel Takes Oath As New CJI Of Delhi High Court
- Justice Dhirubhai Naranbhai Patel sworn in as Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court.
- Lt Governor Anil Baijal administered the oath of office to Justice Patel at a function held at Raj Niwas. Earlier, Justice Patel was posted at the Jharkhand High Court.
- Supreme Court Collegium recommended his name for the appointment as Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court
P Jayadevan appointed as IOCL executive director for TN, Pondicherry
- P Jayadevan appointed as executive director of IndianOil Corporation Ltd for Tamil Nadu and Puducherry with immediate effect. He succeeds R Sitharthan
- He will function as the coordinator for the oil industry in the state and also in the union territory. He will head as the chairman’s secretariat at the corporate office, New Delhi.
- He has over three decades of experience primarily in LPG, operations, engineering and sales. He holds a master’s degree in petroleum management from the University of Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- He is presented with the Prime Minister’s Aadhaar Excellence Award for his contribution.
About Indian Oil Corporation
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairperson: Sanjiv Singh
Justice Prashant Kumar appointed as Acting CJ Of Jharkhand HC
- Centre notified the appointment of Justice Prashant Kumar as the Acting Chief Justice of the Jharkhand High Court with effect from the date present Acting Chief Justice D N Patel relinquishes charge following his appointment as the Chief Justice of Delhi High Court.
- Former Chief Justice Aniruddha Bose was appointed as Supreme Court judge on May 22. Justice Patel appointed as Chief Justice of Delhi High Court in the vacancy due to the retirement of former CJ Rajendra Menon.
- He was elevated as an Additional Judge of the Jharkhand High Court. In 2016, he was transferred to the Allahabad High Court. He was transferred back to the Jharkhand High Court.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Jay-Z is officially 1st hip-hop billionaire – Forbes Report
- According to Forbes Report, Rapper Jay-Z hip-hop artist to become a billionaire
- The Forbes magazine in an article published opens by recalling a 2010 meeting between the rapper and billionaire Warren Buffett From which the octogenarian came away.
- The magazine surveyed Jay-Z’s empire spans music, a streaming service, liquor, art real estate and stakes in other companies and determines that it conservatively totals $1 billion.
- His own brand is Rocawear clothing line D’Usse, a cognac he co-owns with Bacardi; Tidal, the music-streaming service; and his multifaceted Roc Nation music and sports empire.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Researchers found 2 children’s milk teeth in north eastern Siberia
- Researchers found two children’s milk teeth buried deep in a remote archaeological site in northeastern Siberia. This discovery has revealed a previously unknown group of people who lived there during the last Ice Age.
- The group of people have been named as the Ancient North Siberians and described their existence as a significant part of human history. Researchers said that this population does not appear to be the direct ancestor of Native Americans.
- The DNA was recovered from the only human remains discovered from the era, two tiny milk teeth, that were found in a large archaeological site found in Russia near the Yana River.
Google Maps launches features for real-time updates on public transports in India
- Google tech Behemoth invented three new features- bus travel times from live traffic in 10 of the largest cities in India.
- The live train status for Indian Railways trains, and mixed-mode commute suggestions that now combine auto-rickshaw and public transport. The travel plan of Indian users are predicted by transit time while traveling on buses.
- Google map enable users to know how long a bus trip will take when factoring in live traffic conditions. This feature launched in 10 cities namely Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Pune, Lucknow, Chennai, Mysore, Coimbatore, and Surat.
- The partnership app is Where is My Train app acquired by Google in December 2018. It helped for Google’s ‘Next Billion Users’ initiative.
2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup Starts In France
- The 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup is the 8th edition of the FIFA Women’s World Cup, the quadrennial international football championship contested by the women’s national teams between 7 June and 7 July 2019.
- The Championship will be held in nine cities across France. In March 2015, France won the right to host the event, the first time the country will host the tournament.
World Oceans Day is celebrated on 8th June
- World Oceans Day is celebrated on 8th June every year. The day was declared in 2008. June 8 was marked as it marks the day when it was first proposed in 1992 by Canada’s International Centre for Ocean Development (ICOD) and the Ocean Institute of Canada (OIC) at the Earth Summit, UN Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- The Conference supported the implementation of Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 14 of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development.
- The theme for the year 2019 is “Gender and Oceans”.
Grammy-Winning Musician Dr John Passes Away
- Six-time Grammy-winning musician Malcolm John Rebennack, better known as Dr John, passed away aged 77.
- The singer-songwriter suffered from a heart attack. He started his career as a pianist in the 1950s.
Attend Current Affairs Quiz for the Month of May – 2019 from the link that is provided below.
Learn the Other Day Current Affairs from bankersdaily Team from the link that is provided below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
#1 TRENDING VIDEO in Race YOUTUBE CHANNEL