Daily Current Affairs: MARCH 10, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : MARCH 10, 2018
Founding conference of “International Solar Alliance “.
- The founding conference of the International Solar Alliance will be held at the Rashtrapati Bhawan Cultural Center in New Delhi tomorrow.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Emmanuel Macron will be hosting the conference.
- The one-day conference will include an inaugural session, followed by plenary and technical Sessions.
- The sessions will be attended by Heads of State/Heads of Government, dignitaries from the United Nations, Presidents of Multilateral Development Banks and global funds and financial institutions and energy-related institutions.
Capital of France: Paris
Currencies: Euro, CFP franc
Prime Minister Narendra Modi Inaugurates National Legislators Conference:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the National Legislators Conference digitally in the central hall of parliament house in New Delhi today.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan has initiated this 2-day conference.The event will include a plenary session on the theme “We For Development”
- The session will be chaired by Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari. Vice-President Venkaiah Naidu will address the valedictory session in the Central Hall tomorrow
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley chairs 26th GST Council meet:
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley is chairing the 26th meeting of the Goods and Service Tax Council in New Delhi today.
- The meeting is expected to discuss the extension of 3B return form and anti-profiteering rules.
- The council is also likely to decide on levying an 18 percent tax on the raw material used in making alcoholic beverages.
Constituency of Arun Jaitley: Gujarat, Rajya Sabha
India’s Biggest M&E Services Market, enTTech 2018 inaugurated in Mumbai:
- India’s biggest Media & Entertainment Services Market – enTTech 2018 was inaugurated today in Mumbai.
- Speaking at the inaugural function through video message, Union Minister for Commerce & Industry Shri Suresh Prabhu said that technology is driving all activities and that young minds are the incubators of new ideas.
- The event was organized by SEPC in association with MEAI (Media & Entertainment Association of India) and TVAGA (Telangana VFX, Animation and Gaming Association) and supported by the Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India.
Haryana’s 1st Cyber Police Station Opened in Gurugram:
- Cyber Crime Police Stations would be opened at district level across Haryana.
- V.Umashankar, CEO of Gurugram Metropolitan Development Authority (GMDA), inaugurated the station.
- The police station will have modern equipment to deal with crimes in the cyber world.
- Singh issued various directions to the officers regarding Haryana Cadet Core, Women Police Volunteers and e-Challaning, controlling crime and providing security to citizens, and curbing road accidents by managing traffic on roads.
Haryana CM– Manohar Lal Khattar,
Governor– Kaptan Singh Solanki.
Banking & Business:
India-China bilateral trade hits historic high of USD 84.44 billion in 2017:
- The India-China bilateral trade has reached 84(point)44 billion US dollar last year, an historic high.
- The bilateral trade in 2017 rose by 18.63 per cent year-on-year to reach 84.44 billion dollar.
- It is regarded as a landmark as the volume of bilateral trade for the first time touched 80 billion dollar, well above the USD 71.18 billion registered last year.
Capital of China: Beijing
Currency of China: Renminbi
President of China: Xi Jinping
Prime Minister of China: Li Keqiang
Appointments and Resigns:
Prince Charles appoints Sanjeev Gupta As UK Skills Ambassador:
- Indian-origin steel tycoon Sanjeev Gupta has been appointed by Britain’s Prince Charles as an official ambassador for the Industrial Cadets programme designed to nurture manufacturing skills.
- Mr Gupta was appointed to the flagship programme to give children and young people direct structured experience of the industry while still at school or college.
- The Industrial Cadets annual awards ceremony was held on Wednesday in London.
Mauritius President Ameenah Gurib-Fakim to resign over financial scandal claims:
- In Mauritius, President Ameenah Gurib-Fakim is to resign after becoming embroiled in a financial scandal.
- Gurib-Fakim , who is the only female head of state in Africa, has been accused of using a bank card provided by an NGO to make personal purchases and will step down after ceremonies to mark the 50th anniversary of independence on March 12.
Capital of Mauritius: Port Louis
NGO- Non-Governmental Organization
First Woman Inducted As Combat Officer In ITBP:
- 25-year-old Prakriti has been inducted as the first direct-entry combat officer in the border guarding force, ITBP.
- The Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) force is the last of the CAPFs to induct women officers in combat roles after the government first allowed it to enroll them in 2016.
- The force already has women in combat roles but only in the constable ranks.
ITBP Headquarters: New Delhi,india
ITBP Director General: R.K Pachnanda
ITBP Additional Director General: Sh. R.K. Mishra
TDP Ministers Ashok Gajapathi Raju and Y.S. Chowdary resign from Union Cabinet:
- Union Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju and Minister of State for Science and Technology Y.S. Chowdary of the Telugu Desam Party submitted their resignations to Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Following this, BJP Ministers Kamineni Srinivas (Health) and Pydikondala Manikyala Rao (Endowments) resigned from the Andhra Pradesh Cabinet, headed by N. Chandrababu Naidu.
C.M of Andhra Pradesh: N.Chandrababu Naidu
Virat Kohli to bat for Uber, appointed as first brand ambassador in India:
- Indian cricket team captain Virat Kohli has been appointed as the first brand ambassador for tech-based cab aggregator platform Uber (India).
- The cricketer is valued at $144 million against the actor’s $106 million, as per the report titled ‘Rise of the Millennials: India’s most valuable celebrity brands.
- According to a press release from Uber, this is a first of its kind initiative across the Asia Pacific region.
Awards and Honors:
The winners of the 2018 Central Banking Awards:
- The Bank of Canada – this year’s Central Bank of the Year – emerged as a beacon of best practice for much of the community, setting the standard for a transparent, operationally independent central bank.
- Lesetja Kganyago picks up Governor of the Year
- Perng Fai-nan receives Lifetime Achievement Award; 16 more awards unveiled
- The Ceremony took place in London, on the 1st March 2018, at Gibson Hall.
Bank of cannada: Perng Fai-nan
Governor of Bank of Canada: Stephen S. Poloz
Governor of South African Reserve bank: Lesetja Kganyago
Governor of Central Bank of the Republic of China: Perng Fai-nan
Balkrishna Doshi named India’s first winner of the Pritzker Prize:
- Balkrishna Doshi has become the first Indian architect to win the Pritzker Prize in its four-decade history.
- Regarded as the profession’s equivalent to the Nobel Prize, the award went to Doshi in recognition of a career spanning almost 70 years.
Ireland beat India in Sultan Azlan Shah Cup:
- Ireland beat India 3-2 in the final round robin game of the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup hockey at Ipoh, Malaysia today.
- India are now out of medal contention and will play for the 5th and 6th place tomorrow.
- Ramandeep Singh and Amit Rohidas scored one goal each for India while for Ireland, the goals were scored by O’Donoghue, Sean Murray and Lee Cole.
Capital of Ireland: Dublin
Currency of Ireland: Euro
President of Ireland: Michael D.Higgins
Former Maharashtra minister Patangrao Kadam passes away:
- Former Maharashtra minister and Senior Congress leader Dr Patangrao Kadam, passed away due to prolonged illness at a Mumbai hospital tonight. He was 72.
- Dr Kadam was a great educationist and founder of several educational institutes, including the Bharati Vidyapeeth at Pune.
Governor of Maharashtra: C. Vidyasagar Rao.
Chief minister of Maharashtra: Devendra Fadnavis.