Daily Current Affairs: March 12, 2021
Want to Become a Bank, Central / State Govt Officer in 2020?
Join the Most awarded Coaching Institute & Get your Dream Job
Now Prepare for Bank, SSC Exams from Home. Join Online Coure @ lowest fee
Lifetime validity Bank Exam Coaching | Bank PO / Clerk Coaching | Bank SO Exam Coaching | All-in-One SSC Exam Coaching | RRB Railway Exam Coaching | TNPSC Exam Coaching | KPSC Exam Coaching
Daily Current Affairs: March 12, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (March 12, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Also, Don’t forget to attend the Daily Current Affairs Quiz – March 12, 2021, now @ our Bankersdaily Tests.
SUBSCRIBE to Race Youtube Channel for CA QUIZ LIVE Sessions
Check: Previous – Daily Current Affairs – Banking Exam
NCRB celebrated its 36th Inception Day on 11 March
- The Union Home Secretary complimented NCRB for its efforts in delivering timely Publications and IT Applications for the criminal justice ecosystem.
- The National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) is an Indian government agency responsible for collecting and analysing crime data as defined by the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and Special and Local Laws (SLL). NCRB is headquartered in New Delhi and is part of the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), Government of India.
National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB):
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Director: Ramphal Pawar
- Founded: 11 March 1986
NTPC set to unveil India’s largest floating solar plant in Telangana
- State-run power generator NTPC (National Thermal Power Corporation) is set to unveil the country’s largest floating solar power plant of 100 MW capacity at Ramagundam in Telangana under non-PPA (power purchase agreement)
- The floating solar PV project at NTPC Ramagundam will be spread over a 450-acre water surface area in the reservoir. The project will see an investment of 430 crore.
National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC):
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
- Chairman and Managing Director: Gurdeep Singh
- Founded: 1975
PFC and REC extended Rs.4,058 crores loan to Bhutan hydro project
- Power Finance Corporation (PFC) along with subsidiary REC (Rural Electrification Corporation Limited) signed an MoU with Kholongchhu Hydro Energy Ltd for a term loan of 4,058 crore for a 600 MW hydroelectric project in Trashi Yangtse, Bhutan.
- The project is proposed to be funded in a debt-to-equity ratio of 70:30. The loan shall be shared in equal proportion by PFC and REC. Kholongchhu Hydro Energy Ltd (KHEL) is a joint venture between India’s state-run SJVN Ltd and the Bhutan government’ Druk Green Power Corporation Ltd.
First Meeting of the BRICS Contact Group on Economic and Trade Issues held
- The first meeting of the BRICS Contact Group on Economic and Trade Issues (CGETI) was held under India’s The theme of BRICS for this year is “BRICS@15: Intra BRICS Cooperation for Continuity, Consolidation, and Consensus”.
- India under its Chairship in 2021, presented the calendar of events for BRICS CGETI 2021, which included the priority areas for deliverables, schedule, and scope of the MSME roundtable conference workshop on Services Statistics and the BRICS Trade Fair.
India, Australia, Japan and US virtually participated in First Quad Leaders’ Summit
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of Australia, Scott Morrison, Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, and US President Joseph R Biden participated in the first Leaders’ Summit of the Quadrilateral Framework.
- The leaders discussed regional and global issues of shared interest and exchange views on practical areas of cooperation towards maintaining a free, open, and inclusive Indo-Pacific region.
China and Russia agreed to build a joint lunar space station
- Russian space agency Roscosmos had signed an agreement with China’s National Space Administration to develop research facilities on the surface of the moon, in orbit, or both.
- China and Russia will use their accumulated experience in space science, research, and development, and use of space equipment and space technology to jointly develop a road map for the construction of an international lunar scientific research station.
Banking and Economy
OECD projects India’s GDP growth rate at 12.6 percent for FY22
- According to an interim report by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), India’s economy is projected to grow at the rate of 6 percent in 2021-22, making it the only major economy in the world to witness a double-digit growth.
- The projection for global economic growth has also been raised by 4 percent to 5.6 percent in 2022-23 in the OECD economic outlook report.
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD):
- Headquarters: Paris, France
- Secretary-General: José Ángel Gurría Treviño
- Founded: 30 September 1961.
Paytm launched Soundbox 2.0 and Smart POS for ease of digital payment to merchants
- Paytm has launched Soundbox 2.0 and Paytm Smart POS for ease of digital payment to merchants. Soundbox 2.0 is a ‘Made in India’ advanced IoT (Internet of things) device that is powered by Paytm’s all-in-one payments and reconciliation technology.
- The new device comes with a digital screen that gives instant visual confirmation of the paid amount along with the voice-based
- Due to this IoT-based device, the efficiency of the work of the traders has increased and at the same time, it has helped in reducing the long queue of customers at their shops.
- Headquarters: Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
- Founded: 2010
- Founder: Vijay Shekhar Sharma.
Science and Technology
India’s 3rd Scorpene submarine “INS Karanj” commissioned by the Indian Navy in Mumbai
- The Indian Navy commissioned its third Scorpene-class submarine “INS Karanj” in Mumbai, Maharashtra. A Scorpene submarine is a class of diesel-electric attack submarines designed by France’s Naval Group and is being manufactured by Mazagon Dock Ltd (MDL) in Mumbai.
- The Navy has inducted two submarines of the same class—the INS Kalvari and INS Khanderi from MDL where the INS Karanj was also built.
France conducts “AsterX” its first-ever military exercise in space
- France has conducted its first military exercises “AsterX” in space to test its ability to defend its satellites, in a sign of the growing competition between world powers in Earth’s orbit.
- France has launched its first-ever military exercise & also the 1st among European Countries in space in order to “stress test” its defence systems against potential adversaries.
Imran Amin Siddiqui appointed as Executive Director of Indian Bank
- General Manager of Indian Bank Imran Amin Siddiqui has been appointed as the Executive Director of the state-owned lender. He has been appointed for three years with effect from March 10, 2021.
- He started his banking career with erstwhile Allahabad Bank, which is now merged with Indian Bank, as an SSI Field Officer, in December 1987. He has more than 33 years of experience in the field of banking.
- Shenoy Vishwanath V and Ramachandran are the other two Executive Directors on the board of Indian Bank.
- Headquarter: Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- MD and CEO: Padmaja Chunduru
- Tagline: “Your Own Bank”
- Allahabad Bank amalgamated with Indian Bank on April 1, 2020.
NABARD’s Chairman G R Chintala takes over chairmanship of APRACA
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) Chairman G R Chintala took over the chairmanship of the Asia Pacific Rural and Agricultural Credit Association (APRACA). Chintala is succeeding Bank of Ceylon CEO DPK Gunasekera.
- APRACA was established in 1977, is an association of institutions involved in agricultural, rural, and microfinance policy and development, representing 21 countries in the Asia-Pacific
National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD):
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Formation: July 12, 1982
- Chairman: Chintala Govinda Rajulu.
Asia Pacific Rural and Agricultural Credit Association (APRACA):
- Headquarters: Bangkok, Thailand
- Chairman: Chintala Govinda Rajulu
- Established: October 14, 1977
Kartik Aaryan appointed as the first-ever brand ambassador of Doritos in India
- Doritos, the nacho chip brand from PepsiCo India, has appointed Bollywood actor Kartik Aaryan as its first-ever brand ambassador in India.
- This vibrant partnership between Doritos and Kartik Aaryan will further help increase brand reach in India and amplify the uniquely bold messaging of the brand.
- Kartik Aaryan also appointed as the brand ambassador of Footwear major Bata India Limited.
Awards and Recognitions
President Kovind Presented Baton of Honor to former Puducherry LG Kiran Bedi
- President Ram Nath Kovind presented a ‘Baton of Honour’ with the emblem of the Indian Republic and a letter of appreciation to former Puducherry lieutenant governor Kiran Bedi at Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi.
- The former Puducherry Lieutenant Governor was recognised for her services to the Union Territory of Puducherry.
Deepika Padukone joined the list of WEF’s new Young Global Leaders
- Bollywood Actor Deepika Padukone has joined the list of the Young Global Leaders (YGLs) 2021 compiled by the World Economic Forum. The list also includes several Indian citizens and India-origin persons.
- The world’s most promising 112 tomorrow’s leaders under the age of 40 and are involved in activities ranging from advocating public healthcare to campaigning for inclusivity in medical research.
- The Forum of Young Global Leaders was founded in 2005 by Klaus Schwab, founder and executive chairman of the WEF, to create a world where leaders take responsibility for a sustainable future while meeting increasingly complex and interrelated challenges.
Niger President Mahamadou Issoufou won Mo Ibrahim Prize 2020 for achievement in African Leadership
- Niger President Mahamadou Issoufou has won the 2020 Mo Ibrahim prize for achievement in African Leadership, the world’s largest leadership prize (worth $5 million).
- He is the sixth head of state in Africa to win the $5 million award, to be paid out over 10 years, and the first since Liberia’s Ellen Johnson Sirleaf in 2017.
- Capital: Abuja
- Currency: Nigerian naira
- President: Muhammadu Buhari.
India ranked 121 in Economic Freedom Index 2021; Singapore topped
- Singapore (89.7 points out of 100) topped the global ranking for the second year in a row in the latest Economic Freedom Index published by US conservative think-tank, The Heritage Foundation. The list was followed by New Zealand (83.9 points), Australia (82.4 points), Switzerland (81.9 points), and Ireland (81.4 points).
- India has been placed at 121st position (56.5 points) in the index among 184 countries. India is put under the “Mostly Unfree category”. India ranked 26th among 40 countries in the Asia–Pacific region.
Ravichandran Ashwin and Tammy Beaumont voted ICC Player of the Month for February 2021
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) announced the winners of the ICC Player of the Month Awards for February. India’s Ravichandran Ashwin won the ICC Men’s Player of the Month for February 2021, for his impressive performance against England as part of India’s successful Test series victory.
- England’s Tammy Beaumont played 3 ODIs in February against New Zealand where she passed fifty in each of these, totaling 231 runs. Beaumont was overwhelmingly named the ICC Women’s Player of the Month for February 2021.
International Cricket Council (ICC):
- Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- Chief Executive Officer: Manu Sawhney
- Chairman: Greg Barclay.
- Motto: “Cricket for Good”.
Mithali Raj became the first Indian woman cricketer to score 10,000 international runs
- Veteran batter Mithali Raj became the first Indian woman cricketer and second internationally to complete 10,000 runs across all formats.
- England’s Charlotte Edwards is the only other woman to have scored 10,000 international runs. She made 10,273 runs overall, in a career that stretched from 1996 to 2016.
- The 38-year-old Mithali has amassed 663 runs in 10 Test matches with the best score of 214, while she has 6938 and 2364 runs from 212 ODIs and 89 T20 Internationals, respectively.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of March 12, 2021, now from the link given below.
Daily Current Affairs Quiz – March 12, 2021