Daily Current Affairs: March 13, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (March 13, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Kempegowda International Airport launches India’s first dedicated express cargo terminal to help e-commerce
- The Kempegowda International Airport (KIA), Bengaluru announced the launch of the country’s first dedicated express cargo terminal, which would help the private airport operator to handle over 25 percent more cargo annually.
- The express cargo market for business-to-consumer (B2C) and business-to-business (B2B) sectors has tremendous potential to grow over the next decade.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: B. S. Yeddyurappa
- Governor: VajubhaiVala
- National Park: Anshi National Park, Kudremukh National Park, Bandipur National Park, Bannerghatta National Park, Rajiv Gandhi (Nagarahole) National Park.
Centre launched ‘Mera Ration’ mobile app for migrant public distribution system beneficiaries
- The Union Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, launched the ‘Mera Ration’ mobile app for better implementation of the Centre’s one nation one ration card (ONORC)
- This ‘Mera Ration’ mobile app will aid ration cardholders, especially migrant workers, in getting subsidised food grains at any fair price shop in the country.
- The android-based mobile application, developed by the National Informatics Centre (NIC), is currently in Hindi and English. Gradually, it would be made available in 14 languages.
Prakash Javadekar inaugurated the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav exhibition at Aga Khan Palace, Pune
- Union Minister Prakash Javadekar inaugurated exhibitions at seven places virtually as part of ”Azadi ka Amrut Mahotsav”, to celebrate 75 years of the country’s independence.
- The main event will be inaugurated at Sabarmati Ashram in Gandhinagar by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. A total of 37 state-level exhibitions will be inaugurated.
- Capital: Mumbai.
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray.
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari.
In world-first trial, Japan-Australia venture starts producing hydrogen from dirty coal
- A Japanese-Australian venture has begun producing hydrogen from brown coal in an Australian dollar 500 million ($390 million) pilot project that aims to show liquefied hydrogen can be produced commercially and exported safely overseas.
- This plan is to create the first international supply chain for liquefied hydrogen and the next big step will be to ship cargo on the world’s first liquefied hydrogen carrier.
Patrick Achi appointed as interim prime minister of Ivory Coast
- Ivory Coast’s President Alassane Ouattara named Patrick Achi as interim prime minister in place of Hamed Bakayoko, who passed away recently.
- Patrick has served as the Minister of Economic Infrastructure between 2010 and 2017.
Ivory Coast (Côte d’Ivoire):
- Capital: Yamoussoukro (Administratice Capital), Abidjan (Economic Capital)
- Prime Minister: Patrick Achi (Interim)
- President: Alassane Ouattara
- Currency: West African CFA franc.
American Tower Corporation appointed Sanjay Goel as executive vice president and president of Asia-Pacific
- Telecom tower firm American Tower Corporation (ATC) announced Sanjay Goel has been appointed Executive Vice President and President of Asia-Pacific. He succeeds Amit Sharma.
- Amit Sharma will serve as Chairman of the Company’s Asia-Pacific region and as Special Advisor to the CEO until his retirement on July 1, 2021.
Satishwar Balakrishnan appointed as MD and CEO of Aegon Life Insurance
- India’s first digital-only life insurance company, Aegon Life Insurance, elevated Satishwar Balakrishnan to be the Managing Director (MD) & Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
- Satishwar, who joined the company in July 2019 as Chief Financial Officer, will spearhead Aegon Life’s transformation into a digital-only life insurance company.
Awards and Recognitions
‘Digambara Kavi’ Nikhileshwar won the Sahitya Academy Award for ‘Agniswaasa’
- Renowned Telugu writer Nikhileswar, and one among the six ‘Digambara Kavulu’ has been chosen for the Kendra Sahitya Akademi Award-2020 for his anthology of poems ‘Agniswaasa’ penned in 2017.
- A poet with a focus on social issues for almost six decades. Nikhileswar also contributed to English and Hindi languages. He was the founder-secretary of Viplava Rachayithala Sangham.
Acquisitions and Mergers
WE HUB Partnered with the Australian government to launch ‘UPSurge’ pre-incubation program
- Telangana IT minister KT Rama Rao (KTR) launched ‘UpSurge’, an initiative to aid women entrepreneurs from across India to achieve financial independence in collaboration with the Australian government.
- The upSurge is a 12-week pre-incubation program gives participants skills to help them systematically gauge the feasibility of their ideas and develop them into a sustainable business, by instilling entrepreneurship.
- It follows the first WE-Hub/Australia collaboration ‘Community Slate’ which concluded in 2020.
Edelweiss General Insurance partners with InterMiles to introduce Free Cancellation Travel Insurance
- India’s first cloud-native Edelweiss General Insurance (EGI) has launched Edelweiss Group Domestic Travel Insurance in partnership with InterMiles, a leading travel and lifestyle rewards programme.
- This policy will allow customers to cancel their flights up to 24 hours before departure in case they are unable to fly due to unavoidable circumstances.
Books and Authors
Susmita Mukherjee’s new book titled “Baanjh: Incomplete Lives of Complete Women” released
- Actor, producer, director, writer Susmita Mukherjee’s new book of short stories ‘Baanjh: Incomplete Lives of Complete Women’ was released. The book is a collection of 11 short stories written: “over three decades.”
- The book was published by Readomania Publishing.
A book titled “Dynasty to Democracy: The Untold Story of Smriti Irani’s Triumph” on Smriti Irani’s victory in Amethi released in English
- A book titled “Dynasty to Democracy: The Untold Story of Smriti Irani’s Triumph” was released in English. The 44-year-old BJP leader had defeated the then Congress chief and MP Rahul Gandhi in his family bastion. It was the second time that Irani had contested against Rahul in Amethi.
- The book is the English translation of “Amethi Sangram: Aitihasik Jeet Ankahi Dastan”, written by journalist-author Anant Vijay.
NADA imposed sanctions on weightlifter Madhavan R and Boxer Ruchika for violating code
- The National Anti-Doping Agency‘s (NADA) disciplinary panel-imposed sanctions on weightlifter Madhavan R and boxer Ruchika for violation of its code.
- Weightlifter Madhavan R, who tested positive for prohibited substances Phentermine and Mephentermine, was handed a four-year ban by the Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel.
- The ADDP also imposed a two-year ban on boxer Ruchika after she was found positive for Furosemide.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of March 13, 2021, now from the link given below.